Godlike Productions - Discussion Forum
Users Online Now: 2,094 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 373,701
Pageviews Today: 618,835Threads Today: 212Posts Today: 3,783
08:29 AM

Rate this Thread

Absolute BS Crap Reasonable Nice Amazing

U - moon ("laid back" crescent) shows that position of Sun Earth and Moon has changed- update 2012: PROOF!!!! on page 6, new info on page11

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 923054
United States
03/22/2010 08:02 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: U - moon ("laid back" crescent) shows that position of Sun Earth and Moon has changed- update 2012: PROOF!!!! on page 6, new info on page11
Don't forget the basic 'Wet Moon' moniker....

[link to en.wikipedia.org]

User ID: 753072
United States
03/22/2010 09:27 PM
Report Abusive Post
Re: U - moon ("laid back" crescent) shows that position of Sun Earth and Moon has changed- update 2012: PROOF!!!! on page 6, new info on page11
im in the uk and noticed it last night

and the moon looked exactly the same as in the 1st posted pics from spaceweather.com

Ive never seen it like that before

was weird as I have always seen it with the crest on the left or right, at a slight angle

Exactly...also that is what we 've learnt in school.
 Quoting: emerald_glow

And you still can. You forget though that you are on a spherical Earth. When the Moon is setting close to the horizon it will appear tilted because you are looking at it in the West from the East. The effect is more pronounced at this time of year because of the angle of its orbit but there is always some perceived tilt. When it is high in the sky you are looking at it in the South (assuming you are in the Northern hemisphere) from the North. If you happen to see the Moon the entire time it is up it will appear to rotate almost 180 degrees. It ISN'T actually rotating. Your view of it IS.

Last Edited by 341923 on 03/22/2010 09:28 PM
Just when you think batshit crazy can't get any crazier Emily
goes and ups the ante.
emerald_glow  (OP)

User ID: 881047
United States
03/22/2010 10:34 PM
Report Abusive Post
Try google "Crescent moon paintings"...hundreds of artworks come up, all with tilted crescent, none of the U. Here is a scientific style drawing on the Moon's phases from 1850:
[link to www.art.com]

Last Edited by emerald_glow on 03/22/2010 10:38 PM
Emerald_Glow
emerald_glow  (OP)

United States
03/22/2010 10:37 PM
Report Abusive Post
We have explanations plenty...all from the present time, none from earlier...for the hundredth time:

Why no one noticed this in the past several-thousand years???????????????????????????????????????????????????

Emerald_Glow
Enkiz Inanna*

User ID: 881474
United States
03/22/2010 10:40 PM
Report Abusive Post
Ancient Russians Knew of the Cycle of the U Moon....

Arkaim = Cresent Moon = Sickel

Hammer Sickel = Solomon = Idol1

K = 11

B = 2

They dont care*
By the sign of the ELS my friends....

11:11
 Quoting: Sugarelf

'The Truthz Closer Than You Think'
"It's A Mystery, Wrapped In A Riddle, Inside An Enigma!"
Enkiz Inanna*

United States
03/22/2010 10:42 PM
Report Abusive Post
People dont giva shi.....baby girl*
emerald_glow  (OP)

United States
03/22/2010 10:50 PM
Report Abusive Post
People dont giva shi.....baby girl*
 Quoting: Enkiz Inanna*

Some do...that is enough:-)
Emerald_Glow
Enkiz Inanna*

United States
03/22/2010 10:55 PM
Report Abusive Post
NOPE* NOT ENOUGH ENMASS*

United States
03/22/2010 11:38 PM
Report Abusive Post
We have explanations plenty...all from the present time, none from earlier...for the hundredth time:

Why no one noticed this in the past several-thousand years???????????????????????????????????????????????????

Do the Hawaiians not count?
goes and ups the ante.
Mr. Weed
User ID: 835838
United States
03/22/2010 11:54 PM
Report Abusive Post
I have a free program called Stellarium. It shows the moon correctly this evening. Now, the program could be updated remotely with revised data, but that's a pretty tall accusation.

Download the program (it's really fantastic) and see if everything looks okay at your location. Be sure to enter your correct starting location - this makes a big difference.
emerald_glow  (OP)

United States
03/23/2010 12:14 AM
Report Abusive Post

Quoting: 341923

I lived in Hawaii for many years and never heard about this. What you refer to is Wikipedia, not the Hawaiians.
Emerald_Glow
emerald_glow  (OP)

United States
03/23/2010 12:17 AM
Report Abusive Post
I have a free program called Stellarium. It shows the moon correctly this evening. Now, the program could be updated remotely with revised data, but that's a pretty tall accusation.

Download the program (it's really fantastic) and see if everything looks okay at your location. Be sure to enter your correct starting location - this makes a big difference.
 Quoting: Mr. Weed 835838

Thank you...Stellarium is a simulation, you know...I have seen the real Moon so many times in my life...

Last Edited by emerald_glow on 03/23/2010 12:19 AM
Emerald_Glow

United States
03/23/2010 12:30 AM
Report Abusive Post

I lived in Hawaii for many years and never heard about this. What you refer to is Wikipedia, not the Hawaiians.

Sure you did. Because just living in a place would automatically expose you to all the obscure mythology. And of course you ignore the other reference on that page to a Cheshire moon which describes the same thing. Lewis Carroll's story not old enough for you? When Wikipedia has good info it can still be a valid source. I can't help that you choose to remain ignorant.

Last Edited by 341923 on 03/23/2010 12:32 AM
goes and ups the ante.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 886076
Canada
03/23/2010 12:38 AM
Report Abusive Post
Yes showed it here also. Never seen it before as a U shape, ever in my 30 years of living lol. And I look at the night sky all the time and moon gaze.

The Ancients prophesy it's the signs of the end of time, the return of the Gods.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 820306
United States
03/23/2010 01:01 AM
Report Abusive Post
In the meantime I found a possible explanation on an unexpected place:

[link to planetariumweb.madison.k12.wi.us]

It sounds quite credible, except I have never heard this before (I thought I coined the word "U-moon" myself a week ago or so). And never seen a U moon before February 2010, even if according to the above explanation half of every year we see it this way.

What the heck is going on????

that does explain it !

Does it??? Does it explain why nobody ever seen it that way before????

It's been this way before. I have photographs from 2-3 years ago with crescent on bottom. Happens every year in february/march.
This is nothing new. Why all the concern, really now.
emerald_glow  (OP)

United States
03/23/2010 01:03 AM
Report Abusive Post

Sure you did. Because just living in a place would automatically expose you to all the obscure mythology. And of course you ignore the other reference on that page to a Cheshire moon which describes the same thing. Lewis Carroll's story not old enough for you? When Wikipedia has good info it can still be a valid source. I can't help that you choose to remain ignorant.
 Quoting: 341923

I respect other's insights, but the primary source of knowledge is my own experience
Emerald_Glow
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 919716
New Zealand
03/23/2010 01:35 AM
Report Abusive Post

I respect other's insights, but the primary source of knowledge is my own experience

Cripes! What did we all do for knowledge before you had an experience?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 765966
United States
03/23/2010 06:52 AM
Report Abusive Post

True none the less....
Anonymous Coward
United States
03/23/2010 06:53 AM
Report Abusive Post
They dont care*

Quoting: Enkiz Inanna*

So what ????
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 923468
New Zealand
03/23/2010 07:24 AM
Report Abusive Post
op

that is not the 'shadow of the earth' on the moon you are seeing.

Just the dark side of the moon.

The shadow of the earth falling on the moon only occurs during an eclipse.

The lightened area that makes the rest of the moon visible is basically 'earth light' reflecting the suns rays onto the moon, much as we experience 'moonlight'
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 9463
United States
03/23/2010 01:01 PM
Report Abusive Post

So you wish to remain ignorant about something that happens EVERY YEAR and has for millions of years simply because you've never experienced it before?
emerald_glow  (OP)

United States
03/23/2010 01:56 PM
Report Abusive Post
[link to upload.wikimedia.org]
Emerald_Glow
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 9463
United States
03/23/2010 02:00 PM
Report Abusive Post

What's your point? You wish to emphasize your ignorance that the tilt is dependent partly on the orbit angle (time of year) and location on Earth? Done. Yes, that shows the correct phases but it doesn't try to show nor can it, the orientation of those phases as they vary based both on time of year and location on Earth. Always have. Just because you are only noticing this now doesn't change that fact.
emerald_glow  (OP)

United States
03/23/2010 02:00 PM
Report Abusive Post

Thank you...Stellarium is a simulation, you know...I have seen the real Moon so many times in my life...

These occultation tables are very real, and would be impossible
if the Moon was behaving abnormally. Some of the tables on
the following web site can be found in old books in hundreds
of libraries. In other words many of these tables were
predicted decades in advance:
[link to www.lunar-occultations.com]

Tens of thousands of amateur astronomers all over the world
use those tables every night. If something was amiss we would
hear about it.
 Quoting: DrPostman

It is not necessarily the Moon, Dr.PM...It may be the position or the tilt of axis of the earth...or something different with the Sun. The only thing we can experience directly is a shadow. It can be the light source, it can be the object that casts the shadow, it can be the object that the shadow is casted. Something has changed.
Emerald_Glow
emerald_glow  (OP)

United States
03/23/2010 02:03 PM
Report Abusive Post

What's your point? You wish to emphasize your ignorance that the tilt is dependent partly on the orbit angle (time of year) and location on Earth? Done. Yes, that shows the correct phases but it doesn't try to show nor can it, the orientation of those phases as they vary based both on time of year and location on Earth. Always have. Just because you are only noticing this now doesn't change that fact.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 9463

Ok, I leave this thread now but keep coming back every month. Time will tell...
Emerald_Glow
nomuse(NLI)
User ID: 900899
United States
03/23/2010 08:30 PM
Report Abusive Post
It is not necessarily the Moon, Dr.PM...It may be the position or the tilt of axis of the earth...or something different with the Sun. The only thing we can experience directly is a shadow. It can be the light source, it can be the object that casts the shadow, it can be the object that the shadow is casted. Something has changed.

That would be the Sun, the Moon, or the Earth.

(As has been pointed out, the shape of the crescent Moon is not due to a shadow being cast by some external object; it is entirely the result of the angle the sunlight hits the Moon, as seen from the Earth).

The times of rising, setting, equinox, solstice, etc. for the Sun are documented in the same way as tables for the Moon; on paper, on sources that go back up to hundreds of years.

And the motions of the Earth (as if they could be independent of the apparent position of Sun and Moon!) are indirectly documented in navigational tables of the rise time of beacon stars.

None of these three elements could be changed without effects being obvious to millions of people.
Anonymous Coward
United States
03/23/2010 09:04 PM
Report Abusive Post
(As has been pointed out, the shape of the crescent Moon is not due to a shadow being cast by some external object; it is entirely the result of the angle the sunlight hits the Moon, as seen from the Earth).

Quoting: nomuse(NLI) 900899

And as it has been pointed out, we are discussing the BOTTOM CRESCENT only.... :geesh:
Anonymous Coward
United States
03/23/2010 11:02 PM
Report Abusive Post
My argument is that nothing has changed....

But there is another pattern of the Crescent Moon we are unaware of....
emerald_glow  (OP)

User ID: 924761
United States
04/09/2010 03:14 PM
Report Abusive Post
My argument is that nothing has changed....

But there is another pattern of the Crescent Moon we are unaware of....
 Quoting: Sugarelf

What do you mean, Sugarelf?
Emerald_Glow
emerald_glow  (OP)

User ID: 924761
United States
04/18/2010 05:46 PM
Report Abusive Post

Quoting: Anonymous Coward 9463

...sooo...in other times of the year, or other parts of the world the Moon has always been laying????

I just know the it has never been like that before. In the 70-es, 80-es lived/visited different parts of the world, watched the sky a lot and it was not like this! And lots of people I know on and off GLP says the same.
This is why I updated this thread after a month passed and ask you all to tell/show pics on what you see.
Thank you
hf
Emerald_Glow

GLP