Godlike Productions - Discussion Forum
Users Online Now: 1,906 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 1,027,109
Pageviews Today: 1,876,505Threads Today: 622Posts Today: 13,814
06:15 PM

Rate this Thread

Absolute BS Crap Reasonable Nice Amazing

U - moon ("laid back" crescent) shows that position of Sun Earth and Moon has changed- update 2012: PROOF!!!! on page 6, new info on page11

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 558013
United States
05/17/2010 01:26 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: U - moon ("laid back" crescent) shows that position of Sun Earth and Moon has changed- update 2012: PROOF!!!! on page 6, new info on page11
Other references:

[link to starchild.gsfc.nasa.gov]

[link to planetariumweb.madison.k12.wi.us]
AstronutModerator
Senior Forum Moderator

User ID: 634208
United States
05/17/2010 01:31 PM

Report Abusive Post
Re: U - moon ("laid back" crescent) shows that position of Sun Earth and Moon has changed- update 2012: PROOF!!!! on page 6, new info on page11
Thank you for your insights...it is good to know that there are still people who use direct observation instead of relying simulations and man-made theories.
 Quoting: emerald_glow

The simulations and scientific predictions are CONFIRMED by direct observation. Just what part of that don't you understand?
:venusoccultation:
[link to www.spaceweather.com]
The moon's orientation is exactly as it should be. You can't bad mouth simulations based on your preconceived notions of how the sky should look when the real sky doesn't bear that out; you never compared the real sky to the simulations and scientific predictions to begin with! The only thing it proves is that your expectations were flawed and false based on an inadequate understanding of astronomy.

Last Edited by Astromut on 05/17/2010 01:32 PM
astrobanner2
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 973306
United States
05/17/2010 01:36 PM
Report Abusive Post
Seriously people, get some sky charting software and get informed:
[link to www.stellarium.org]
 Quoting: Astronut

stellarium is great and free!
I use the older version because the new one bugs out my computer.

Stellarium will allow you to jump easily from night to night so you can see the various moon phases and positions in the sky.
emerald_glow  (OP)

User ID: 924761
United States
05/17/2010 01:45 PM
Report Abusive Post
Seriously people, get some sky charting software and get informed:
[link to www.stellarium.org]

stellarium is great and free!
I use the older version because the new one bugs out my computer.

Stellarium will allow you to jump easily from night to night so you can see the various moon phases and positions in the sky.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 973306

I had Stellarium in 2008. had to uninstall it because of the troubles caused to my comp; now I use the software that came with my telescope.
Emerald_Glow
Returner
User ID: 997
United States
05/17/2010 01:47 PM
Report Abusive Post
Trying to educate these people is a waste of time, Astronut.

They're proud of their ignorance. Hell, they wallow in it, thinking it makes them superior to the 'sheeple.'

They all flunked math in 7th grade and are still pissed about it.

Idiots.
1-2-Follow

User ID: 341826
United States
05/17/2010 01:48 PM
Report Abusive Post
ok my bad lol my diretions were backwards it normally comes up in the east but it came up in the west sorry. I will take pics and videos though
 Quoting: Ambernon

ya think!?!?!

1rof1

i will say thank you for giving me and the rest of my coworkers a good laugh today.
Articles and "news" from liberal media shall now be known as catnip for libtards.

Truth is schilling in the empire of retards.

"Yep but for now we dub you toast guy." - AC520845

*PROCLAIMED PROPHET OF THE DOW* ®

Let me know when the climate STOPS changing, then i'll be worried.
SpaceGhost

User ID: 973306
United States
05/17/2010 01:50 PM
Report Abusive Post
I had Stellarium in 2008. had to uninstall it because of the troubles caused to my comp; now I use the software that came with my telescope.

Im using 10.2 and it runs pretty good on my 10 year old dell!-lol.
Are you using first light, thats another good one.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 928852
United States
05/17/2010 01:54 PM
Report Abusive Post
i havent been able to see the moon for probably the past 5 days. too much clouds- or it just aint showin up. One night the stars were out and i couldnt find the moon- maybe too many clouds.. idk... i really dont care.. the moon is just a huge stone-henge. they want us to dig deep n find shit out- i really could care less- end of days is upon us...
emerald_glow  (OP)

United States
Report Abusive Post
Thank you for your insights...it is good to know that there are still people who use direct observation instead of relying simulations and man-made theories.
The simulations and scientific predictions are CONFIRMED by direct observation. Just what part of that don't you understand?
The moon's orientation is exactly as it should be. You can't bad mouth simulations based on your preconceived notions of how the sky should look when the real sky doesn't bear that out; you never compared the real sky to the simulations and scientific predictions to begin with! The only thing it proves is that your expectations were flawed and false based on an inadequate understanding of astronomy.
 Quoting: Astronut

It is you Astronut, that does not understand basic Aristotelean logic.

There is a phenomenon, visible to anyone that was not there before. (Not in the winter, not in the summer).
Ergo, something must have changed.

I don't intend to "badmouth" or discredit anyone, but allow me to believe more my own many years of observation, than anything else, especially if other older people's similar experiences support it.

Last Edited by emerald_glow on 05/17/2010 01:55 PM
Emerald_Glow
AstronutModerator
Senior Forum Moderator

United States

Report Abusive Post

Another tool for making predictions about the lunar terminator is Cartes du Ciel:
[link to www.stargazing.net]
astrobanner2
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 973363
India
Report Abusive Post
It may not be that obvious to younger people, but all those who are looking at the night sky for more that 2-3 decades tell me the same:

IT HAS NOT BEEN LIKE THAT BEFORE

shocked

It's called a "wet moon"...look it up.

[link to en.wikipedia.org]

Just beause YOU haven't ever noticed it doesn't mean that others haven't. Don't be so arrogantly ignorant.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 558013

So if it is in wikipedia then it must be 'truth'? NOT!
s226

This is not winter any more, summer solstice is just a month away. cool2

Maharaja
emerald_glow  (OP)

United States
05/17/2010 01:58 PM
Report Abusive Post
It may not be that obvious to younger people, but all those who are looking at the night sky for more that 2-3 decades tell me the same:

IT HAS NOT BEEN LIKE THAT BEFORE

shocked

It's called a "wet moon"...look it up.

[link to en.wikipedia.org]

Just beause YOU haven't ever noticed it doesn't mean that others haven't. Don't be so arrogantly ignorant.

s226

This is not winter any more, summer solstice is just a month away. cool2

Maharaja
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 973363

This is exactly the reason Maharaja, that I re-awakened this thread...it is May now, the winter is gone, spring is almost over and the U moon is the same.
rockon
Emerald_Glow
Menow
User ID: 935048
United States
05/17/2010 01:59 PM
Report Abusive Post
(snip)

(snip)

Just curious, but how is YOUR theory, as espoused here, not "man-made"?
AstronutModerator
Senior Forum Moderator

United States
05/17/2010 02:00 PM

Report Abusive Post
It is you Astronut, that does not understand basic Aristotelean logic.

There is no logic in your claims. This phenomenon is not new and is not unexpected.
There is a phenomenon, visible to anyone that was not there before.
 Quoting: emerald

You've claimed that, but you've done absolutely nothing to prove it. It's not new and it is expected and that's easily proven by the previous discussion.
Ergo, something must have changed.

Your premise is wrong, so your logic is flawed.
I don't intend to "badmouth" or discredit anyone,

But you already did.
but allow me to believe more my own many years of observation, than anything else, especially if other older people's similar experiences support it.

I don't care what you think you remember, I know for a fact it's wrong. I suggest you and others who think this is new spend more time doing some amateur astronomy. A person's age does not guarantee expertise in astronomy.
astrobanner2
AstronutModerator
Senior Forum Moderator

United States
05/17/2010 02:01 PM

Report Abusive Post
s226

The orientation of the lunar crescent is exactly what it's expected to be.
:venusoccultation:
s226
astrobanner2
Returner
United States
05/17/2010 02:02 PM
Report Abusive Post
Some things old people (aka, THE ELDERS) have told me that are BULLSHIT:

* Loggerhead turtles, once they bite you, won't release you until it thunders.

* Snakes will roll downhill after forming a hoop by biting their own tail.

* It won't frost after April 15.

* Drowned bodies will float suddenly in the wakr of a loud noise.

So is all that true too? I mean it must be, because 'the elders' swear it's true. And the elders are never wrong, are they?

In fact, the elders are all fucking experts on astronomy and strophysics, aren't they? Just ask any doddering greybeard the mass of Jupiter or the length of the Martian year or why the Moon is tide-locked with the Earth. Heck, they'll whip out the data in a jiffy!

So you're right, the Moon is all over the fucking sky, it's upside down, it's in the living room, it's rising twice in the North and setting every other Thursday in the South. My bad. I should have listened to Old Man Fergusen when he said 'Mah gimp en flatl gorn mop."

I think that says it all.

And I am outa here...
Menow
United States
05/17/2010 02:10 PM
Report Abusive Post
(snip)
This is exactly the reason Maharaja, that I re-awakened this thread...it is May now, the winter is gone, spring is almost over and the U moon is the same.
rockon

So are you even going to admit that the Moon's phases are not caused by Earth's shadow?
AstronutModerator
Senior Forum Moderator

United States
05/17/2010 02:15 PM

Report Abusive Post
Previous years' photos of the wet moon:
[link to www.flickr.com]
[link to www.flickr.com]
[link to www.flickr.com]
1998:
[link to www.sas.org.au]
But hey, how dare I rely on photos rather than an old non-expert's flawed memory.

Last Edited by Astromut on 05/17/2010 02:20 PM
astrobanner2
Anonymous Coward
India
05/17/2010 02:45 PM
Report Abusive Post
(snip)

(snip)

Just curious, but how is YOUR theory, as espoused here, not "man-made"?
 Quoting: Menow 935048

There are men and there are "men" not all men are the same, nor equal! Some are more equal than others, it is called disrimination by action and quality.

The Srimad Bhagavatam is not spoken by drunk leaches or debauchee butt finger smelling monkeys.

This is the same scriptures that speaks of the calculation of time from the atom and nuclear weapons controlled(precisely aiming and controlling so that nothing outside of the target is effected. Even if the target is the head of a pin!) by mantra. 5000 yrs ago! The melted sand-into-glass is evident in Kuruksetra, India and elsewhere.

In fact it wasn't until Pasteur, that you western monkeys even heard about boiling milk for God sake. That is 4700 yrs after the self same Vedas say to do it for good health.

I will stay with my fore fathers science of following the Vedas

Hell we've know for eons that our forefathers of great antiquity came from the higher planets(Sun, Moon, etc). They are called progenitors and create all life on this planet as there service to Visnu to administer the universe.

UFO's? You ain't seen nothing yet!

Maharaja
Anonymous Coward
India
05/17/2010 02:48 PM
Report Abusive Post
Some things old people (aka, THE ELDERS) have told me that are BULLSHIT:

* Loggerhead turtles, once they bite you, won't release you until it thunders.

* Snakes will roll downhill after forming a hoop by biting their own tail.

* It won't frost after April 15.

* Drowned bodies will float suddenly in the wakr of a loud noise.

So is all that true too? I mean it must be, because 'the elders' swear it's true. And the elders are never wrong, are they?

In fact, the elders are all fucking experts on astronomy and strophysics, aren't they? Just ask any doddering greybeard the mass of Jupiter or the length of the Martian year or why the Moon is tide-locked with the Earth. Heck, they'll whip out the data in a jiffy!

So you're right, the Moon is all over the fucking sky, it's upside down, it's in the living room, it's rising twice in the North and setting every other Thursday in the South. My bad. I should have listened to Old Man Fergusen when he said 'Mah gimp en flatl gorn mop."

I think that says it all.

And I am outa here...
 Quoting: Returner 997

You listen to butt finger smelling monkeys and you get that level of truth. NONE!

s226
emerald_glow  (OP)

United States
05/17/2010 02:50 PM
Report Abusive Post
This is it for now, guys...I come back next month.
Emerald_Glow
AstronutModerator
Senior Forum Moderator

United States
05/17/2010 02:51 PM

Report Abusive Post

So you have no reply to all the evidence I just dumped in your lap? I guess I wasted my time trying to explain it to you, but given how ignorant you've chosen to remain this whole time I shouldn't be surprised.
astrobanner2
Anonymous Coward
India
05/17/2010 02:54 PM
Report Abusive Post

[link to www.flickr.com]
[link to www.flickr.com]
[link to www.flickr.com]
1998:
[link to www.sas.org.au]
But hey, how dare I rely on photos rather than an old non-expert's flawed memory.
[/quote

Have you found any dated mid May in say the early 70's?

And just because you can find it on the internet does not make it a truth. So many lies are told here, do not just be gul-able.

Find ten pictures from five different decades in the month of May.
Anonymous Coward
India
05/17/2010 02:55 PM
Report Abusive Post

I will be watching the full moon cycle with eagle eye.
Returner
United States
05/17/2010 02:55 PM
Report Abusive Post
Some curry-sniffing moron wrote:

"The Srimad Bhagavatam is not spoken by drunk leaches or debauchee butt finger smelling monkeys."

First thing, dumbass, it's leeches, not leaches.

And then you fucked up the sentence by including an extraneous word. so let me fix that for you:

"The Srimad Bhagavatam is spoken by drunk leaches or debauchee butt finger smelling monkeys."

Now it's right. You can go back to your digit-sniffing and overpopulating now.
Menow
United States
05/17/2010 02:59 PM
Report Abusive Post

So you have dispensed your TRVTH and now fade into the shadows without even admiting that the Moon's phases are not caused by Earth's shadow?
Returner
United States
05/17/2010 03:02 PM
Report Abusive Post
Typical behavior.

They say something monumentally stupid, they get called on it, evidence to the contrary is presented, and they trot away 'for a month' to licik their wounds and work on their next bit of astronomical assininity.

What's next, OP?

Will the Moon be:

1) Cubical?
2) Only 50 miles above the Earth?
3) Attached to the Sun with suddenly-visible springs?
4) Only a projection originating from <drumroll> ATLANTIS????

Feel free to use any of the above. And don't forget to throw in the wisdom of the elders!
Anonymous Coward
United States
05/17/2010 03:07 PM
Report Abusive Post
i havent been able to see the moon for probably the past 5 days. too much clouds- or it just aint showin up. One night the stars were out and i couldnt find the moon- maybe too many clouds.. idk... i really dont care.. the moon is just a huge stone-henge. they want us to dig deep n find shit out- i really could care less- end of days is upon us...
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 928852

Thursday night was new moon, so you wouldn't see it that night at all, and only as a thin crescent last night just after sunset. PLEASE learn just a little about the normal phases of the moon.
Anonymous Coward
United States
05/17/2010 03:08 PM
Report Abusive Post
[link to www.flickr.com]
[link to www.flickr.com]
[link to www.flickr.com]
1998:
[link to www.sas.org.au]
[/quote

Have you found any dated mid May in say the early 70's?

And just because you can find it on the internet does not make it a truth. So many lies are told here, do not just be gul-able.

Find ten pictures from five different decades in the month of May.

Are you trying to claim that it just started appearing like this? If so, you obviously don't even know what causes it.
Anonymous Coward
India
05/17/2010 03:20 PM
Report Abusive Post
Some curry-sniffing moron wrote:

"The Srimad Bhagavatam is not spoken by drunk leaches or debauchee butt finger smelling monkeys."

First thing, dumbass, it's leeches, not leaches.

And then you fucked up the sentence by including an extraneous word. so let me fix that for you:

"The Srimad Bhagavatam is spoken by drunk leaches or debauchee butt finger smelling monkeys."

Now it's right. You can go back to your digit-sniffing and overpopulating now.
 Quoting: Returner 997

Even if the messenger dies the message remains the same.

GLP