Godlike Productions - Discussion Forum
Users Online Now: 2,258 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 594,242
Pageviews Today: 1,029,224Threads Today: 429Posts Today: 7,235
12:37 PM

Rate this Thread

Absolute BS Crap Reasonable Nice Amazing

U - moon ("laid back" crescent) shows that position of Sun Earth and Moon has changed- update 2012: PROOF!!!! on page 6, new info on page11

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 973363
India
05/17/2010 03:22 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: U - moon ("laid back" crescent) shows that position of Sun Earth and Moon has changed- update 2012: PROOF!!!! on page 6, new info on page11
This is it for now, guys...I come back next month.

So you have dispensed your TRVTH and now fade into the shadows without even admiting that the Moon's phases are not caused by Earth's shadow?
 Quoting: Menow 935048

What? "Moon's phases are not caused by Earth's shadow?" Tell me more.

Maharaja
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 558013
United States
05/17/2010 03:24 PM
Report Abusive Post
Re: U - moon ("laid back" crescent) shows that position of Sun Earth and Moon has changed- update 2012: PROOF!!!! on page 6, new info on page11
[link to justkeofome.blogspot.com]

[link to goehringweb.net]
Anonymous Coward
United States
05/17/2010 03:26 PM
Report Abusive Post
This is it for now, guys...I come back next month.

So you have dispensed your TRVTH and now fade into the shadows without even admiting that the Moon's phases are not caused by Earth's shadow?

It's amazing the utter ignorance of simple first grade science of some people.
just me
User ID: 972561
United States
05/17/2010 03:52 PM
Report Abusive Post
For 2 months the position of the shadow of the Earth on the Moon is different than before. The sliver is on the bottom, and forms a wide letter "U" instead of the usual position.

[link to www.spaceweather.com]

There are many strange pics on the Moon on Spaceweather.com. More often than not, you see much more on the pics, that the written explanation. This time the Moon is not a crescent at all on the pic.

[link to spaceweather.com]

Edit: I reposted this because since March the laying crescent the "U Moon" is still there.
 Quoting: emerald_glow

The first sentence above says, "...the shadow of the Earth on the Moon is different than before." What "shadow of the Earth" are you talking about? The crescent moon from last night was not caused by an eclipse. Do you even know what you are talking about?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 855760
Canada
05/17/2010 03:57 PM
Report Abusive Post
I wouldn't worry about the direction the moon is traveling. It's still traveling in the same direction it had be doing.

If the moon started traveling from north to south or south to north or west to east. Then still don't worry. Because the sun will be doing the same thing and we all would had survive the tilting of the earth.
 Quoting: Kennethmd

if north to south, tilting, if west to east,magnetic pole reversal.
AstronutModerator
Senior Forum Moderator

User ID: 634208
United States
05/17/2010 04:06 PM

Report Abusive Post
Have you found any dated mid May in say the early 70's?
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 973363

I'm 100% positive that if flickr existed in the early 70's I would, especially since sky charting software shows that such a thing happened in the 70's just as it does today.
And just because you can find it on the internet does not make it a truth. So many lies are told here, do not just be gul-able.
 Quoting: AC

LMFAO! Which picture that I linked to do you think is a "lie" exactly? This is hilarious!
Find ten pictures from five different decades in the month of May.

I don't need to, I can know what the moon looked like any given month and place by taking a look at Cartes du Ciel, Stellarium, or any of a number of lunar atlases. I've got a giant f'ing printed lunar atlas from the 1950's which shows the lunar terminator crossing the same exact lunar landmarks that it does today. Sorry, I don't have a scanner that big, but if you want pictures of the moon from 5 different decades go look it up yourself. I gave you plenty of examples already, you ignored them. Remain ignorant if you wish, but there's no proof for the claim that the moon is doing anything wierd, let alone unexpected.
astrobanner2
AstronutModerator
Senior Forum Moderator

United States
05/17/2010 04:11 PM

Report Abusive Post
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 973363

Epic fail. For the love of pete, learn some basic astronomy.
[link to www.moonconnection.com]
The moon with a regular gibbous phase:
[link to farm4.static.flickr.com]
The moon during a lunar eclipse caused by the earth's shadow:
See the difference?
astrobanner2
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 973536
United States
05/17/2010 05:29 PM
Report Abusive Post

I'm 100% positive that if flickr existed in the early 70's I would, especially since sky charting software shows that such a thing happened in the 70's just as it does today.

And just because you can find it on the internet does not make it a truth. So many lies are told here, do not just be gul-able.

LMFAO! Which picture that I linked to do you think is a "lie" exactly? This is hilarious!

I don't need to, I can know what the moon looked like any given month and place by taking a look at Cartes du Ciel, Stellarium, or any of a number of lunar atlases. I've got a giant f'ing printed lunar atlas from the 1950's which shows the lunar terminator crossing the same exact lunar landmarks that it does today. Sorry, I don't have a scanner that big, but if you want pictures of the moon from 5 different decades go look it up yourself. I gave you plenty of examples already, you ignored them. Remain ignorant if you wish, but there's no proof for the claim that the moon is doing anything wierd, let alone unexpected.
 Quoting: Astronut

Well what about any yr in May? I did see a September and a 98'

I never said you posted a lie. All that gliters is not gold, was my intention.

I did not ignor your pictures, they were nice. I had a contention about the dates. I was looking for earlier dates and the same month as we are in now.

M'raja
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 973536
United States
05/17/2010 05:33 PM
Report Abusive Post

See the difference?

You don't actually believe al that mumboo jumboo do ya?
Menow
User ID: 935048
United States
05/17/2010 05:38 PM
Report Abusive Post

See the difference?

Quoting: Anonymous Coward 973536

Troll.
AstronutModerator
Senior Forum Moderator

United States
05/17/2010 05:45 PM

Report Abusive Post
I never said you posted a lie.

Bullshit.
 Quoting: you

You were implying that my pictures were a lie.
I did not ignor your pictures, they were nice. I had a contention about the dates. I was looking for earlier dates and the same month as we are in now.

Like I said, I have a big fat lunar atlas from the 50s which shows the moon's terminator still falls on the same lunar landmarks as it does now. You can't get much earlier than that. I have yet to see a shred of evidence that the moon is not following its expected course in its expected orientation.
astrobanner2
AstronutModerator
Senior Forum Moderator

United States
05/17/2010 05:48 PM

Report Abusive Post

See the difference?

You don't see the difference between the earth's shadow on the moon and the moon's own day/night terminator? Yes I believe it, I've seen it with my own eyes and unlike you I actually have the pictures to prove it. Seriously, I don't think I've ever met someone as ignorant of the moon as you.
astrobanner2
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 937735
United Kingdom
05/17/2010 05:52 PM
Report Abusive Post
It's almost back to its 'normal' shape crescent tonight

Was definitely 'U' shaped for a few days though
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 418932
United States
05/17/2010 08:11 PM
Report Abusive Post

It amazes me at how uninformed people are on the very basics of that great timepiece in the sky, the moon.

It has folowed the same ever constant, yet ever changing cycle of waxing/waning, tilt and rising/setting places, year to year.

When you are in tune enough to the moon, you will be able to know what time of year and what time of month just by the aspect of the moon.

You would have known all of this if you had been a farmer two centuries ago because your livelihood would have depended on it.
emerald_glow  (OP)

User ID: 924761
United States
05/18/2010 12:36 AM
Report Abusive Post

Quoting: Anonymous Coward 937735

Here in California, too...Now it is tilted like 30 degrees. I wonder how can it go back so fast.
Look at the spaceweather.com pics from different parts of the world, the same day.

...from Joe Chan Yuen Fai of Kennedy Town, Hong Kong; from Anthony Ayiomamitis of Athens, Greece; from Teddy Ty Chua of Manila, the Philippines; from Farmakopoulos Antonis of Mt Parnon Sparta Grecce; from Wah! of Hong Kong; from Karzaman Ahmad of Langkawi National Observatory, Malaysia; from Mark Arzadon of San Jacinto, Pangasinan, Philippines; from Liv Heather of Valenzuela City, Philippines; from Mohamad Soltanolkottabi of Niasar, Kashan, Iran; from Rana Khan of Kolkata, India;...

Last Edited by emerald_glow on 05/18/2010 12:41 AM
Emerald_Glow
Menow
United States
05/18/2010 12:45 AM
Report Abusive Post

Here in California, too...Now it is tilted like 30 degrees. I wonder how can it go back so fast.
Look at the spaceweather.com pics from different parts of the world, the same day.

You really don't understand that the moon ALWAYS appears to rotate as it crosses the sky and you turn to keep facing it from east to south to west?

Seriously?
emerald_glow  (OP)

United States
05/18/2010 12:09 PM
Report Abusive Post
Thanks for the bump. Go back to page 1 to read it.
Emerald_Glow
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 418932
United States
05/18/2010 12:15 PM
Report Abusive Post

You really don't understand that the moon ALWAYS appears to rotate as it crosses the sky and you turn to keep facing it from east to south to west?

Seriously?

As well, according to where you are on the planet, the moon's aspect will look different. I noticed this the last time Venus was very close to the moon. The photos from all over the world showed quite different relationships between the planet and moon than the ones I took.

Perhaps with a few years of intensive moon watching (and maybe a drawing diary to keep accurate tabs) they will come to the realization that the moon is doing just what the moon has always done.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 974126
France
05/18/2010 12:18 PM
Report Abusive Post
AGREED OP! CRITICS BE DAMNED.
Menow
United States
05/18/2010 12:49 PM
Report Abusive Post

You mean where you stupidly say that the Moon's phases are caused by Earth's shadow? Yeah... I read it again... needed a good laugh!
Anonymous Coward
United States
05/18/2010 12:53 PM
Report Abusive Post
AGREED OP! CRITICS BE DAMNED.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 974126

I guess FACTS be damned as well?
AstronutModerator
Senior Forum Moderator

User ID: 922113
United States
05/18/2010 01:11 PM

Report Abusive Post

Wow, seriously, get Stellarium and learn how the sky moves (and yes, how it varies from location to location as well - An observer in the southern hemisphere will see a "tilt" opposite that of an observer in the northern hemisphere). Objects rotate as they rise and set from the perspective of alt-az (up-down, left-right tracking). It's one reason why an equatorial tracking system must be used when doing long exposure astrophotography; failure to do so results in field rotation.

Last Edited by Astromut on 05/18/2010 01:13 PM
astrobanner2
AstronutModerator
Senior Forum Moderator

United States
05/18/2010 01:53 PM

Report Abusive Post
Here, an irrefutable video showing the rotation of the sky over the course of 3 minutes sped up into 18 seconds. It's a short video I did of M13 the other night, I just increased the speed so you could see the effect faster. The apparent orientation and rotation of an object in the sky will depend on exactly how far from rising or setting it is.

Moonset to moonset comparisons are only truly comparable if they're equivalent in time to moonset and location. Bottom line is that there's nothing unusual about the orientation of the moon right now and there's nothing unusual about seeing it in a "wet moon" orientation. That Venus occultation comparison proves it; I had set the virtual observer in stellarium to the Philippines to simulate the view. The result came back showing Venus emerging in the same place with respect to the moon.
astrobanner2
emerald_glow  (OP)

United States
11/24/2012 01:10 PM
Report Abusive Post
Update:
We have proof now: This great animation shows how is it SUPPOSED to be, and the photos show it is NOT LIKE THAT.

The animation:
[link to www.slate.com]

The photos:

I need some time to find the photos from 2010, it seems Spaceweather's database does not work right now.

Last Edited by emerald_glow on 11/24/2012 01:14 PM
Emerald_Glow
emerald_glow  (OP)

United States
11/24/2012 01:33 PM
Report Abusive Post
Not the ones I was looking for, but spectacular,: Moon Venus occultation from 2010 May.

[link to 4.bp.blogspot.com]

And the blog that it belongs to: (scroll down)
[link to justkeofome.blogspot.com]
Emerald_Glow
Messenger
User ID: 26348467
United States
11/24/2012 01:43 PM
Report Abusive Post
hfgoodnews

A NEW MOON WILL SOON BE CREATED BY ALMIGHTY GOD, and if you see anything like "something" new near the current moon post ASAP***
emerald_glow  (OP)

United States
11/24/2012 01:57 PM
Report Abusive Post
Strange...the page is here:

You can see one of the photos, but the links to the rest of the pics from other places/photographers do not work...for God's sake, it was only 2 years ago...what happened to the database?

Last Edited by emerald_glow on 11/24/2012 02:00 PM
Emerald_Glow
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 9094168
United Kingdom
11/24/2012 01:59 PM
Report Abusive Post
all this chat about the earth and moon having changed positions somehow, is very entertaining. I do, however, have one question, if the earth has indeed changed position, then why are the stars still in the same place?
emerald_glow  (OP)

United States
11/24/2012 02:02 PM
Report Abusive Post
all this chat about the earth and moon having changed positions somehow, is very entertaining. I do, however, have one question, if the earth has indeed changed position, then why are the stars still in the same place?
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 9094168

I am not sure it is the Earth that has changed position. It is the relative position of Sun, Earth and Moon - from what I know

Last Edited by emerald_glow on 11/24/2012 02:03 PM
Emerald_Glow
emerald_glow  (OP)

United States
11/24/2012 02:03 PM
Report Abusive Post
hfgoodnews

A NEW MOON WILL SOON BE CREATED BY ALMIGHTY GOD, and if you see anything like "something" new near the current moon post ASAP***
 Quoting: Messenger 26348467

I will...promise:-)
Emerald_Glow

GLP