Godlike Productions - Discussion Forum
Users Online Now: 1,246 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 307,522
Pageviews Today: 491,609Threads Today: 161Posts Today: 2,877
06:24 AM

Rate this Thread

Absolute BS Crap Reasonable Nice Amazing

"Information Is A Distraction" - Obama Warns Grads of iPad Perils !

DWTS O'Bibble
User ID: 874848
United States
05/10/2010 10:42 AM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
"Information Is A Distraction" - Obama Warns Grads of iPad Perils !
Hmmm...the President has some crazy thoughts, eh ? Wonder what he thinks of GLP ? Shudder, shudder !

[link to www.foxnews.com]

Updated May 10, 2010

Obama Warns Grads of iPad Perils

NewsCore

BlackBerry-loving President Barack Obama declared war on technology, singling out Apple’s super-popular iPods and iPads for criticism at a commencement ceremony in Virginia.

President Barack Obama addresses the 1,200 graduates of Hampton University, a historically black university, at the school's Armstrong Stadium, in Hampton, Va., Sunday, May 9, 2010.

BlackBerry-loving President Barack Obama declared war on technology, singling out Apple’s super-popular iPods and iPads for criticism at a commencement ceremony in Virginia, the New York Post reported Monday.

Obama -- whose election was credited in part to his skillful use of modern media, from smartphones to Twitter to Flickr -- on Sunday told college graduates that high-tech gizmos and apps were straining American democracy.

"With iPods and iPads and Xboxes and PlayStations -- none of which I know how to work -- information becomes a distraction, a diversion, a form of entertainment, rather than a tool of empowerment, rather than the means of emancipation," Obama said at Hampton University in southeastern Virginia.

Obama described the most popular offerings of companies like Apple, Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo as distractions that are putting unnecessary pressure on the country.

Obama also lamented the spread of social media and blogs, through which "some of the craziest claims can quickly claim traction."
"All of this is not only putting new pressures on you," Obama said. "It is putting new pressures on our country and on our democracy."

"We can't stop these changes," he said, "but we can adapt to them. And education is what can allow us to do so. It can fortify you, as it did earlier generations, to meet the tests of your own time."

Read more idiocy the above at link...
weegie

User ID: 965077
United Kingdom
05/10/2010 10:48 AM
Report Abusive Post
Re: "Information Is A Distraction" - Obama Warns Grads of iPad Perils !
"Knowledge is power" a great man said. "Information is a distraction" are the words of a man who DOESN'T want us to be empowered.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 940676
United States
05/10/2010 10:59 AM
Report Abusive Post
"Knowledge is power" a great man said. "Information is a distraction" are the words of a man who DOESN'T want us to be empowered.
 Quoting: weegie

Well said.
aldoushuxley

User ID: 919483
United States
05/10/2010 11:03 AM
Report Abusive Post
I think its clear Obama wants sheep not lions.
dereistic

User ID: 846424
United Kingdom
05/10/2010 11:03 AM
Report Abusive Post
Freethinkers are dangerous.
"And as things fell apart, nobody paid much attention"
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 964147
United States
05/10/2010 11:06 AM
Report Abusive Post
"We can't stop these changes," he said, "but we can adapt to them. And education is what can allow us to do so. It can fortify you, as it did earlier generations, to meet the tests of your own time."

Quoting: DWTS O'Bibble 874848

Maybe not..but he can sure try.

Not sure how many on this forum have ever heard

of Mark Lloyd due to the negative shilling re;

Glenn Beck but they should...

[link to www.humanevents.com]

Obama’s new Federal Communications Commission Diversity Czar Mark Lloyd is a big fan of Venezuelan dictator Hugo Chavez and his Soviet-style control over the media. In this video, Fox News host Glenn Beck and the Media Research Center’s Seton Motley expose a video of Lloyd’s own statements made in 2008 at the National Conference for Media reform supporting Chavez.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 965704
United States
05/10/2010 11:13 AM
Report Abusive Post
buy silver. bankers hate that.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 665901
United States
05/10/2010 01:43 PM
Report Abusive Post
Yeah heaven forbid anyone get some information on the internet that he and his minions haven't had a chance to censor yet.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 966535
United States
05/10/2010 01:59 PM
Report Abusive Post
Information is filtered through media -- the medium can become the message. I've received plenty of complaints for being on my computer/mobile device too much. I miss a lot.

Information itself isn't the problem. It's the utter lack of reasonable useful filters we have now. Discerning truth from the flood of nonsense is difficult. We apply multiple filters to our media -- in the Internet's case we have Google, GLP, Snopes, etc -- but how reliable are they? Look at the complaints about Wikipedia.

I personally wouldn't have things any other way, but it does take a long time to arrive at conclusions nowadays, conclusions I feel are reliable. But it's fun digging through the layers.

I'm waiting for a midi-sized iPad, probably next year. I'm sure I'll spend too much time on that, too.

GLP