technopolistanding
Offer Upgrade

User ID: 993334
United Kingdom
06/28/2010 08:06 AM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Killer Earthquake/s - New Madrid Fault
The gusher relieves enough pressure on surrounding rocks and tectonic plates that there is a sudden massive earthquake affecting the New Madrid Fault. This in turn collapses the cavity and stops the gusher. That's the good news.

Unfortunately, lots of people are dead or injured.
On the face of it, this scenario looks like something out of a horror movie screenwriter's folio of nightmares.

However, it does have legs.
There have been major earthquakes on the New Madrid Fault in the past.

"Take a green stick and start bending it. At first, not much happens. Then, just before the stick breaks, you hear small pops and cracks coming from inside.
"That's how Dr. Otto Nuttli of St. Louis University describes what is happening in the New Madrid earthquake zone. Every other day or so, the land underneath the area where Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas, Missouri and Indiana meet pops and cracks just a little.
"But, the scientist said, the pressure is building for a break -- a major earthquake that could conceivably devastate much of the nation's midsection, causing thousands of deaths and billions of dollars in damages.

"At 2 a.m. on Dec. 16, 1811, the ground underneath the tiny town of New Madrid, Mo., moved, and that movement produced the greatest earthquake in the history of the United States. Later estimates have placed the magnitude of the quake as high as 8.7 on the Richter scale. "Rapids rose in the Mississippi River, which appeared to run backward for a while. Islands in the river sank from view. Reelfoot Lake was formed in Tennessee." (Published June 10, 1984 By Andy Mead, Herald-Leader Staff Writer, ST. LOUIS).

That was written 26 years ago. Coincidentally, or not, another study commissioned by FEMA was released this week. "A study commissioned by (FEMA) indicates that a major earthquake on the New Madrid fault would kill 3,500 people and leave millions homeless. It found that more than 80,000 people would be injured by a 7.7-magnitude quake...."
How does this tie in to the Gulf of Mexico? It does so via the work of a retired geologist-geophysicist, Jack M. Reed.

"(He) studied the Gulf and the New Madrid Fault for something like 40 years (and) believes the origin of the earthquakes lies beneath the Gulf of Mexico.
"(He also) says the accepted theory of a quiet geologic
evolution of the Gulf of Mexico Basin is fundamentally flawed and needs to be revised."
Says Reed:- " ... if you want waterfront property you should buy land around Indianapolis. In a couple of million years this acreage could be overlooking the Strait of America that separates western (and) eastern America!"

Not to make light of any of this, if the New Madrid Fault does have an earthquake shortly, perhaps you won't need to wait a couple of million years for waterfront property in
Indianapolis. The water might come to you. Complete with an oily sheen.

"Other estimates from the report include:
• 715,000 buildings damaged
• 7 million people homeless
• 2.6 million households without power
• $300 Billion economic impact

"The two towns most at risk because of their proximity to the fault zone are St. Louis, and Memphis, though towns in Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Arkansas and Alabama will also see damage, according to the report."

If Reed is correct and such earthquakes have their beginnings in the Gulf of Mexico, then it seems to be within the realms of possibility that a big earthquake could happen much sooner than anyone has expected. Then again, they always do catch us by surprise, no matter where they occur.

Moreover, human nature being what it is, it is very unlikely that this report will spur many people into taking evasive action - such as leaving for a safer place to live.

Last Edited by nibiru2012planetx on 06/28/2010 08:08 AM
This is the time of each individual recognizing their own identity as an expression of the essential Divine and the same for all others. This is a time of personal responsibility and personal authority, of becoming aware of oneself as the choice maker of our experience.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 392454
United States
06/28/2010 08:12 AM
Report Abusive Post
Re: Killer Earthquake/s - New Madrid Fault
New Madrid Catastrophic Planning Update Feb 9, 2010

[link to www.srh.noaa.gov]
technopolistanding  (OP)

United Kingdom
06/28/2010 08:19 AM
Report Abusive Post
New Madrid Catastrophic Planning Update Feb 9, 2010

[link to www.srh.noaa.gov]
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 392454

good one - people need to know and stop relying on governements to get them out of the red zone...
This is the time of each individual recognizing their own identity as an expression of the essential Divine and the same for all others. This is a time of personal responsibility and personal authority, of becoming aware of oneself as the choice maker of our experience.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 890341
United States
06/28/2010 08:47 AM
Report Abusive Post
We, as Humans, are in a tough situation.

There are a number of cataclysms with the potential to do major harm, even to the extent of them being Extinction Level Events.

Let's zero in on just one . . . volcanic eruptions. There are several supervolcanoes in the World with the potential to poison the atmosphere, change the climate in a major way, and cause death and destruction on a tremendous scale. Yellowstone is one of these.

You might escape the immediate death and destruction, depending upon where you live, but you will not escape the poisoned atmosphere and the climate change.

The bottom line? It really doesn't matter where you live, as there is NO escape. Because there is NO escape, governments are saying nothing.
technopolistanding  (OP)

United Kingdom
06/28/2010 08:50 AM
Report Abusive Post
We, as Humans, are in a tough situation.

There are a number of cataclysms with the potential to do major harm, even to the extent of them being Extinction Level Events.

Let's zero in on just one . . . volcanic eruptions. There are several supervolcanoes in the World with the potential to poison the atmosphere, change the climate in a major way, and cause death and destruction on a tremendous scale. Yellowstone is one of these.

You might escape the immediate death and destruction, depending upon where you live, but you will not escape the poisoned atmosphere and the climate change.

The bottom line? It really doesn't matter where you live, as there is NO escape. Because there is NO escape, governments are saying nothing.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 890341

Thats' very true
SkitzoMonster

User ID: 1010708
United States
06/28/2010 09:27 AM
Report Abusive Post
OP, Can you tell me where I can find the papers or discussions you read that led you to write this thread? I live about an hour north of Memphis and I have been thinking about this happening and baring down to get ready but it is hard to get others to believe what I am saying. Maybe if I had something from a "Professional" that they seem to think knows more than the average citizen with common sense maybe they would hear me..I already have plans underway for my survival but they dont seem to give a rats ass about their own...
Total OUtcast
technopolistanding  (OP)

United Kingdom
06/28/2010 10:04 AM
Report Abusive Post
OP, Can you tell me where I can find the papers or discussions you read that led you to write this thread? I live about an hour north of Memphis and I have been thinking about this happening and baring down to get ready but it is hard to get others to believe what I am saying. Maybe if I had something from a "Professional" that they seem to think knows more than the average citizen with common sense maybe they would hear me..I already have plans underway for my survival but they dont seem to give a rats ass about their own...
 Quoting: SkitzoMonster

Here is the link
[link to www.examiner.com]

and this one..
[link to www.todaysthv.com]

Last Edited by nibiru2012planetx on 06/28/2010 10:05 AM
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1018052
Canada
06/28/2010 10:13 AM
Report Abusive Post
Thread: BIG Chasm and Landslide After Quebec EQ
SkitzoMonster

User ID: 1010708
United States
06/28/2010 11:12 AM
Report Abusive Post

Here is the link
[link to www.examiner.com]

and this one..
[link to www.todaysthv.com]
 Quoting: technopolistanding

Thanx OP
Total OUtcast

GLP