Explaining 9-11 to a child

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1095108
Canada
09/10/2010 10:47 AM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: Explaining 9-11 to a child
If the American people would stop buying drugs.

So what did your son say. That the killing of a million plas people was the only way to have peace?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1092111
United States
09/10/2010 10:48 AM
Report Abusive Post
BOOKER ELEMENTARY SCHOOL

George Bush returns to Booker Elementary School to talk to the kids to get a little PR. After his talk he offers question time.

One little boy puts up his hand and George asks him his name.

"Stanley," responds the little boy.

"And what is your question, Stanley?"

"I have three questions. First, why are you President when Al Gore and John Kerry got more votes? Second, why did you just keep reading that book about pet goats? And third, why was Cheney there holding your hand and the Commissioners weren’t allowed to take notes?"

Just then, the bell rings for recess. George Bush informs the kiddies that they will continue after recess.

When they resume George says, "OK, where were we? Oh, that's right: Question time. Who has a question?"

Another little boy puts up his hand. George points him out and asks him his name.

"Bobby," he responds.

"And what is your question, Bobby?"

"Actually, I have five questions. Why are you President when Al Gore and John Kerry got more votes? Second, why did you just keep reading that book about pet goats? Third, why was Cheney there holding your
hand and the Commissioners weren’t allowed to take notes? Fourth, why did the recess bell go off twenty minutes early? And fifth, what the hell happened to Stanley?"
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1092111
United States
09/10/2010 10:49 AM
Report Abusive Post
911 TRUTH

A man turned to the woman seated next to him on an airplane and said, “What’s that book you’re reading?”

“The New Pearl Harbor by David Ray Griffin.”

“What’s it about?”

“It’s about how the Bush Administration orchestrated the 9/11 attacks so they could invade the Middle East.”

The man’s jaw dropped, his face slowly turned red, and he said “That’s so ridiculous it’s not even worth discussing.” Silence.

The woman said, "Okay, then. A horse, a cow, and a deer all eat grass. The same stuff. Yet a deer excretes little pellets while a cow turns out a flat patty, and a horse produces clumps of dried grass. Why do you suppose that is?"

"Jeez," said the man. "I have no idea."

"Well, then," the woman said, "How is it that you think you know what happened on 9/11 when you don't know shit?”
guindog  (OP)

User ID: 1049247
United States
09/10/2010 10:50 AM
Report Abusive Post
eh you could say that they counted to fast :/
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1036431

Can you explain?
"Majority of Amerika is too awash in its own mediocrity to commit to fighting for freedom" Mojo
guindog  (OP)

United States
09/10/2010 10:50 AM
Report Abusive Post
If the American people would stop buying drugs.

So what did your son say. That the killing of a million plas people was the only way to have peace?
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1095108

Read before replying, please.

he hasnt said anything YET.
"Majority of Amerika is too awash in its own mediocrity to commit to fighting for freedom" Mojo
ZOMBIE_KILLER

User ID: 923589
United States
09/10/2010 10:51 AM
Report Abusive Post
When your child goes to school, and takes a history class, and the book says what happened on 9/11/01, will he get an A if he says that he thinks other than what the book says?

Does public education allow for free thoughts and ideas on past events?

No, it doesnt.

If anything, public schools are a grooming field for the future leaders and taxpayers to be conditioned to accept these things, AND be dumbed down.

Our schools, nationwide, are so far UNDER the global standsrds.

This is another reason why I want to feed him as much info as I can.
 Quoting: guindog

I dont bombard my son with info, a simple well placed comment or peice of literature will get the ball rolling, then his research starts, amazes me with what he comes up with. Just keep in mind he is still a child and allow him time to be a child.
guindog  (OP)

United States
09/10/2010 10:52 AM
Report Abusive Post
Good stuff, AC 111!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1087959
United States
09/10/2010 10:53 AM
Report Abusive Post
Be carefull what you say.. They "school" will CPS ya if they think your 'against' TPTB..
ZOMBIE_KILLER

United States
09/10/2010 10:56 AM
Report Abusive Post
Be carefull what you say.. They "school" will CPS ya if they think your 'against' TPTB..
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1087959

+1 I tell my kid that not everyone shares the same veiws and some knowledge is best left un-shared
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1095296
United States
09/10/2010 10:56 AM
Report Abusive Post
If you introduce ideas that are counter to what he is exposed to you might make him feel out of sync with others. Then he might feel like he doesn't really fit in. Just be prepared to help him adjust socially to these new ideas you are feeding him.
guindog  (OP)

United States
09/10/2010 10:57 AM
Report Abusive Post
When your child goes to school, and takes a history class, and the book says what happened on 9/11/01, will he get an A if he says that he thinks other than what the book says?

Does public education allow for free thoughts and ideas on past events?

No, it doesnt.

If anything, public schools are a grooming field for the future leaders and taxpayers to be conditioned to accept these things, AND be dumbed down.

Our schools, nationwide, are so far UNDER the global standsrds.

This is another reason why I want to feed him as much info as I can.

I dont bombard my son with info, a simple well placed comment or peice of literature will get the ball rolling, then his research starts, amazes me with what he comes up with. Just keep in mind he is still a child and allow him time to be a child.
 Quoting: ZOMBIE_KILLER

I feel its very important to allow him to do things on his own, I dont force anything, including sports.

Have you taken your son to any memorial services, or had him listen to any discussions?
Or watched any C.T. movies with him around?

Imagination is a kids best friend, and by design of the times, they are losing it.

Too many sports, cartons, play-dates, all that crap.

I spend at least one whole day being a kid with him, no matter how mundane or silly it may be to me.

Just to let him be a 9yr old kid and enjoy it while he can.

Who knows what waits ariound the corner, and he may have to grow up fast if anything bad happens in his lifetime.

I really hope it doesnt, but we have no sure way of knowing we wont face another attack, or disaster that could change things dramatically.
guindog  (OP)

United States
09/10/2010 10:59 AM
Report Abusive Post
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1087959

That was my first lesson, AC.

Not everything needs to be shared.

Sometimes secrets are meant to keep, unless of course the obvious, like he feels unsafe.

Im getting some good info here, everyone...especially you, ZK.

Thanks again for taking your time today to answer my questions.
guindog  (OP)

United States
09/10/2010 11:00 AM
Report Abusive Post
If you introduce ideas that are counter to what he is exposed to you might make him feel out of sync with others. Then he might feel like he doesn't really fit in. Just be prepared to help him adjust socially to these new ideas you are feeding him.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1095296

This is whay I dont want to steer his opinion at all.

Justt open him to the possibilities, but I am prepared to handle this.
ZOMBIE_KILLER

United States
09/10/2010 11:03 AM
Report Abusive Post
A childs education should be fun, they should be excited by learning. We have a 1200 acre farm and my son has lots of chores here, but in the trade off, he gets to drive the tractor, the combine and my jeep, which to him is worth doing the work. My 12 year old drives better than my wife lol
guindog  (OP)

United States
09/10/2010 11:09 AM
Report Abusive Post
A childs education should be fun, they should be excited by learning. We have a 1200 acre farm and my son has lots of chores here, but in the trade off, he gets to drive the tractor, the combine and my jeep, which to him is worth doing the work. My 12 year old drives better than my wife lol

Thats pretty cool.

And not to blow up your spot, ZK...but you are a more down to earth and educated person than some of your other replies would lead on to.

Thanks again, bro.
ZOMBIE_KILLER

United States
09/10/2010 11:11 AM
Report Abusive Post

Thats pretty cool.

And not to blow up your spot, ZK...but you are a more down to earth and educated person than some of your other replies would lead on to.

Thanks again, bro.

no probs
guindog  (OP)

United States
09/10/2010 11:16 AM
Report Abusive Post
I guess this thread is too sane, or boring for the doom-tards here, not many replies.

I expected alot more women and people trying to talk me out of taking him, or even letting him think about alternate scenarios.

Im impressed by the members here today, and also a thanks for not turning this into a click and paste/pro-truth/no-planer fight.
Anonymous Coward
United States
09/10/2010 11:17 AM
Report Abusive Post

If he doesn't already challenge authority, (it starts with parents) then he probably isn't "hardwired" to seek alternative rule sets.

Getting anyone to recognize how rules and choices are linked is difficult. It takes a fundamental confidence in yourself. Trying to change outdated/inappropriate rules takes a unique inner conviction.

When my kids challenged my choice, I asked them to provide three reasons why their choice was better than mine.
It empowered them to make their own choices at a very early age. My kids seem okay. They have friends and have adjusted very well socially.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1095059
China
09/10/2010 11:19 AM
Report Abusive Post
BOOKER ELEMENTARY SCHOOL

George Bush returns to Booker Elementary School to talk to the kids to get a little PR. After his talk he offers question time.

One little boy puts up his hand and George asks him his name.

"Stanley," responds the little boy.

"And what is your question, Stanley?"

"I have three questions. First, why are you President when Al Gore and John Kerry got more votes? Second, why did you just keep reading that book about pet goats? And third, why was Cheney there holding your hand and the Commissioners weren’t allowed to take notes?"

Just then, the bell rings for recess. George Bush informs the kiddies that they will continue after recess.

When they resume George says, "OK, where were we? Oh, that's right: Question time. Who has a question?"

Another little boy puts up his hand. George points him out and asks him his name.

"Bobby," he responds.

"And what is your question, Bobby?"

"Actually, I have five questions. Why are you President when Al Gore and John Kerry got more votes? Second, why did you just keep reading that book about pet goats? Third, why was Cheney there holding your
hand and the Commissioners weren’t allowed to take notes? Fourth, why did the recess bell go off twenty minutes early? And fifth, what the hell happened to Stanley?"
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1092111

laugh
guindog  (OP)

United States
09/10/2010 11:26 AM
Report Abusive Post

If he doesn't already challenge authority, (it starts with parents) then he probably isn't "hardwired" to seek alternative rule sets.

Getting anyone to recognize how rules and choices are linked is difficult. It takes a fundamental confidence in yourself. Trying to change outdated/inappropriate rules takes a unique inner conviction.

When my kids challenged my choice, I asked them to provide three reasons why their choice was better than mine.
It empowered them to make their own choices at a very early age. My kids seem okay. They have friends and have adjusted very well socially.

He doesnt really challenge authority, but he does demand reasons for decisions given to him.

Like if he asks why he cant play in the street, I need to explain to him EVERY aspect of why its not a good idea.

I have instilled a thirst for knowledge in him, and this is a prime opportunity to get a drink of information.

Who knows, he may take in what he sees and hears at this service tomorrow, and decide for himself that he is satisfied with the answers given to him by the O.S. that was handed to him at school.

And maybe he will be full of questions, but afraid to ask.

This is why I posted this thread, in how to deal with making himfeel comfortable with his stance on ANY issue in the future, not just 9-11.

I figured this will be a great opportunity for me to get a small bond on a trust issue with bigger things in life, and how to think for himself....and I also thought this would be the best place to ask for a bit of insight, as there are alot of members here in the C.T area with children.
Anonymous Coward
China
09/10/2010 11:27 AM
Report Abusive Post
If you don't want to influence what he believes about 9/11, just tell his no one really knows what happened that day.

Then tell him some people think (then go on to explain whatever conspiracies you heard or believe), then tell him that other people think (explain the official story).

My son is only 6.5, but that's how I explain things to him that can't be proven without a shadow of doubt. Like you, I may hold my own personal opinions about certain subjects, but I want my son to make up his own mind when he is old enough to.
guindog  (OP)

United States
09/10/2010 11:30 AM
Report Abusive Post
If you don't want to influence what he believes about 9/11, just tell his no one really knows what happened that day.

Then tell him some people think (then go on to explain whatever conspiracies you heard or believe), then tell him that other people think (explain the official story).

My son is only 6.5, but that's how I explain things to him that can't be proven without a shadow of doubt. Like you, I may hold my own personal opinions about certain subjects, but I want my son to make up his own mind when he is old enough to.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1095059

I cant do that, thats just a weak way out.

f he wants an answer, I will help him figure it out.

I also can let him think its ok to just say "I dont know"

Any time he thinks I dont know, I want him to be able to place information out in front of him, or in his head and try to come to a conclusion.

That may work for you, but I cant accept giving that answer.
ZOMBIE_KILLER

United States
09/10/2010 11:31 AM
Report Abusive Post

yes. I took me awhile to grasp the differnce between dominating a child and raising one. Once I ditched my own insecurites things got easier
guindog  (OP)

United States
09/10/2010 11:34 AM
Report Abusive Post

yes. I took me awhile to grasp the differnce between dominating a child and raising one. Once I ditched my own insecurites things got easier

I have only recently figured that out, and him growing up and getting more mature helped me figure it out.
Anonymous Coward
United States
09/10/2010 11:39 AM
Report Abusive Post
Oh. Hey. Trust.

What do you tell him about Santa Claus?

I tried Santa Claus with each of my kids and none accepted the idea. My eldest exhibited proof of how similar Santa's handwriting was to mine when he was 4 years old.
Just, to smart to see through the lie.
They all get gifts with tags that say Love, ♥ Santa Mommy.
Anonymous Coward
China
09/10/2010 11:46 AM
Report Abusive Post

Any time he thinks I dont know, I want him to be able to place information out in front of him, or in his head and try to come to a conclusion.

Well then your other option is to tell him what your opinion is. And just expect him to accept that as the absolute truth, since kids usually believe what their parents tell them.

But it sounds like to me you really don't know, which is what you posted in the OP.
guindog  (OP)

United States
09/10/2010 11:52 AM
Report Abusive Post
Oh. Hey. Trust.

What do you tell him about Santa Claus?

I tried Santa Claus with each of my kids and none accepted the idea. My eldest exhibited proof of how similar Santa's handwriting was to mine when he was 4 years old.
Just, to smart to see through the lie.
They all get gifts with tags that say Love, ♥ Santa Mommy.

Theres more proof in the exixtence of Santa, Easter bunny and the other holiday charecters than in god, but thats a whole other thread!

Cmon people, Im not looking forcomparisons, Im looking for experiences in telling your kids about 9-11 and what you felt, or said.
guindog  (OP)

United States
09/10/2010 11:56 AM
Report Abusive Post

Well then your other option is to tell him what your opinion is. And just expect him to accept that as the absolute truth, since kids usually believe what their parents tell them.

But it sounds like to me you really don't know, which is what you posted in the OP.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1095059

Exactly, and I will give him my opinion...but only if he asks for it.

I have decided that it was an inside job, to some extent.

to finish what G.B the first had started, to gain control of oil, build bases, and to finish the pipeline and control opium/heroin in Afghanistan.

There were too many failures that day to let me think otherwise, and I will let him know all of the things that happened that day.

Like you said, he will probably think my opinion is gold, and thats why I will explain all the facts to him first, let him stew and think...then i will let hi know what I feel happened.

That is mostly why I posted, looking for answers on how any other members here may have told thaer kids what happened and if they wautd till their kids had decided n their own before spilling their thoughts.
LA-LA-LA

User ID: 1094688
United States
09/10/2010 11:57 AM
Report Abusive Post
how do you explain to a child that Santa doesn't exist?
guindog  (OP)

United States
09/10/2010 12:04 PM
Report Abusive Post
how do you explain to a child that Santa doesn't exist?
 Quoting: LA-LA-LA

I let him figure it out for himself, and I confirmed it.

Big difference here, in that the guy that put gifts under a tree is fake, and that our Gov lied to us, killed 3000 people to get placed in a few countries to get oil and drugs, dont you think?

GLP