Author claims $750 for gen and 200' head tubing
BRIEF AND TO THE POINT

User ID: 381742
United States
10/15/2010 10:59 AM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: Inexpensive D.I.Y. micro hydro generator
What kind of amperage is it producing? Converting back and forth between AC and DC is very inefficient...A DC generator would be better...it's still a good idea as part of a hybrid system with solar, because any electromechanical device will need down time for maintenance and repair...whereas solar has no moving parts...
Poor people do poor people things, and rich people do rich people things.

You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity.

What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.

The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it!

when you rob Paul to give to Peter ... ... ... you will always get Peters support!

:Brieffromnativea:
AmeriDan  (OP)

User ID: 1131124
United States
10/15/2010 11:05 AM
Report Abusive Post
snip from website

"There’s an output chart for the DC-540 on the Windblue website. A voltage output of 56V corresponds to the alternator spinning at 625 RPM producing 10 amps, generating approx 560 Watts of power."

[link to www.windbluepower.com]

Last Edited by AmeriDan on 10/15/2010 11:06 AM
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1117523
Canada
10/15/2010 11:07 AM
Report Abusive Post
hf
BRIEF AND TO THE POINT

User ID: 381742
United States
10/15/2010 11:09 AM
Report Abusive Post
snip from website

"There’s an output chart for the DC-540 on the Windblue website. A voltage output of 56V corresponds to the alternator spinning at 625 RPM producing 10 amps, generating approx 560 Watts of power."

[link to www.windbluepower.com]
 Quoting: AmeriDan

That's not much power...for the money you can do much better with solar...
Poor people do poor people things, and rich people do rich people things.

You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity.

What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.

The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it!

when you rob Paul to give to Peter ... ... ... you will always get Peters support!

:Brieffromnativea:
AmeriDan  (OP)

United States
10/15/2010 11:12 AM
Report Abusive Post
What kind of amperage is it producing? Converting back and forth between AC and DC is very inefficient...A DC generator would be better...it's still a good idea as part of a hybrid system with solar, because any electromechanical device will need down time for maintenance and repair...whereas solar has no moving parts...
 Quoting: BRIEF AND TO THE POINT

I think the advantage to the AC feed is the long run available (up to 200')with inexpensive "extension cord" to the rectifier. Efficiency is secondary to me as the water will always (hopefully) be running
AmeriDan  (OP)

United States
10/15/2010 11:14 AM
Report Abusive Post

True. but this is 24/7 to a charge controller for your batteries
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1078715
United States
10/15/2010 11:17 AM
Report Abusive Post

True. but this is 24/7 to a charge controller for your batteries

This.
Solar is affected by clouds and you really only get power for 4 hours a day.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1131153
United States
10/15/2010 11:18 AM
Report Abusive Post

Yes, but he's in Vancouver...PAC NW...long stretches of overcast and/or rainy days. Solar is quite valuable when the sun is out, but one can't solely rely on solar in such WX conditions.

My only concern would be the history of the creek flow itself. His system is pretty cool, but what happens when the creek rises?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 694475
United States
10/15/2010 11:27 AM
Report Abusive Post
pretty cool idea, but what about winter... I guess you could bury the tubing or something.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1128125
United States
10/15/2010 08:32 PM
Report Abusive Post
I guess I"m just dumb, I don't understand how the water is coming into the tubes and creating the force that's received in the bucket.

Doesn't he have to have some type of energy to pull all that water up in those hoses? Or did he suck on them to get 'em going?

I know a lot of stuff, but never studied this.

Someone enlighten me please?
AmeriDan  (OP)

United States
10/16/2010 08:49 PM
Report Abusive Post
I guess I"m just dumb, I don't understand how the water is coming into the tubes and creating the force that's received in the bucket.

Doesn't he have to have some type of energy to pull all that water up in those hoses? Or did he suck on them to get 'em going?

Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1128125

water turns low rpm alternator via gravity produces ac converted to dc and stored
notabadsite
User ID: 1094812
United States
10/16/2010 10:39 PM
Report Abusive Post

water turns low rpm alternator via gravity produces ac converted to dc and stored

He says the main feed hose is 200 feet upstream, the same gravity that feeds the creek feeds his hose, but WITHOUT obstructions, rocks, friction points, etc. He then sizes down to decrease pressure but INCREASE velocity and splits it four ways at angles to a turbine.

Going with magnets rather then field coils INCREASES complexity of the wiring but DECREASES mechanical losses.

Nice

ohyeah
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 42494920
United States
06/30/2013 01:42 AM
Report Abusive Post
bump

GLP