Offer Upgrade

User ID: 1154887
United Kingdom
11/06/2010 05:11 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Why Be a Vegetarian
Why Be a Vegetarian

There are many reasons why you should have a more vegetarian diet, to include reducing animal cruelty, helping the environment, decreasing world hunger, protecting worker's rights, and bettering your health.

* Animals in meat factories have no legal protection. They can be beat and abused to no end (mutilated, genetic manipulation, and neglect), and there's nothing that anyone can do about it.
* The United State's meat production poisons and depletes ware, land, and air. Animal agriculture causes 130 times more waste than the human population does by polluting the land, water, and air.
* Raising animals for food is inefficient because it takes up more supplies and resources, and costs more. By growing crops, we could easily feed every human on the planet with healthy foods, causing less pollution and for cheaper.
* Working in animal agriculture is one of the most dangerous jobs, and the overall industry has refused to create safe working conditions by supplying workers with safety equipment and slowing own the slaughter lines all because it'll cut into profits.
* By removing meat from your diet, or at least strongly reducing the amount of meat that you eat, you can potentially raise your immune system and protect your body against heart disease, diabetes, obesity, stroke, and many types of cancer.

Plus, humans were never built to eat meat. We were not designed for it, we have evolved enough to be able to digest meat.

We're Conditioned to Eat Meat

As studies have proven, we're just not meant to eat meat, but humans still hunt, kill, and eat meat. We still raise livestock to kill and serve on the dinner table. We're just conditioned to do it.

For most of human history, we have lived off of a vegetarian or lacto-ovo vegetarian diet, which means a there is a lack of all beef, lamb, pork, poultry, fish, shellfish, or animal flesh in the diet, but dairy and eggs are a part of the diet.

Some believe that humans are supposed to be omnivores, but if you look at the characteristics of an omnivore, they will more closely resemble those of a carnivore than a herbivore, and humans will still have more characteristics that closely resemble a herbivore.

When people eat meat, it decays within about 4 hours, but the remnants hang around and cling to the walls of the stomach and intestines for 3 to 4 days if not longer. Because our saliva is alkaline, it does not break down the meat as it should, which is why it lingers in our digestive tract a little longer.

If you look at true meat eaters, like lions and tigers, they kill their prey and tear directly into the stomach where the blood filled organs are. They need the nutrients from the stomach, liver, and intestines. When we cook raw meat, we are cooking out a lot of the necessary nutrients that true meat eaters need to survive, so if we were meant to eat meat, we would eat it raw and bloody.

Even carnivores who run across prey that has been burned in a fire don't eat their meat cooked.

Humans have adapted their bodies and digestive systems to eat and digest meat.
Compare Characteristics of Carnivores, Herbivores, and Humans Characteristics Meat Eaters Herbivores Humans
Claws Have claws No claws No Claws
Skin Pores Have no skin pores and prespire through the tongue Prespire through skin pores Prespire through skin pores
Intestinal Tract Have an intestinal tract that is only 3 times their body length so that rapidly decaying meat can pass through faster Have an instestinal tract that is 10 to 12 times their body length Have an instestinal tract that is 10 to 12 times their body length
Intestinal Shape Have bowels that are smooth and shaped like a pipe, so that meat passes through quickly Have bowels that are bumpy and pouch-like with lots of pockets so that plant matter can pass through slowly for optimal nutrient absorption Have bowels that are bumpy and pouch-like with lots of pockets so that plant matter can pass through slowly for optimal nutrient absorption
Stomach Acid Have strong hydrochloric acid in the stomach to digest meat Have stomach acid that is 20 times weaker than that of a meat eater Have stomach acid that is 20 times weaker than that of a meat eater
Salivary Glands Have salivary glands in the mouth that aren't needed to pre-digest grains and fruits. Have well-developed salivary glands that are needed to pre-digest grains and fruits Have well-developed salivary glands that are needed to pre-digest grains and fruits
Saliva Have acidic saliva without the enzyme ptyalin to pre-digest grains Have alkaline saliva with the ptyalin ezyme to pre-digest grains Have alkaline saliva with the ptyalin ezyme to pre-digest grains
Teeth Have sharp front teeth to pull meat off the bone, and do not have flat molars for chewing; canine teeth are lower than the other teeth and used for attacking; teeth are also jagged and interlocking to hold onto prey Have flat front teeth not built for pulling meat off the bone; and have flat molars for chewing; canine teeth fairly align with the rest of the teeth so not designed for attacking prey; teeth are fitted closely together Have flat front teeth not built for pulling meat off the bone; and have flat molars for chewing; canine teeth fairly align with the rest of the teeth so not designed for attacking prey; teeth are fitted closely together
Jaws Have jaws that move only in an up and down motion; also have jaws that project forward from the face in order to best hold onto prey Have jaws that can move backward and foward, up and down, and side to side, which is ideal to grind grains; jaw is set close to the face Have jaws that can move backward and foward, up and down, and side to side, which is ideal to grind grains; jaw is set close to the face
Looking at the characteristics of the herbivore and a human, we closely resemble the herbivore. Eating Meat is Bad for Human Health

People who do not eat meat or have a highly reduced meat diet, live longer, have lower cancer rates, and have higher IQs.

Men who eat red meat (even leave red meat) 4 to 5 times a week will have 4 times the risk of developing colon cancer than men who only eat meat as a main meal once a month, or less. It's thought that when red meat is cooked, carcinogens are created which may cause the increased risk of colon cancer.

But, even chicken, lamb, pork, turkey, quail, fish, eggs, sausages, mince, and beef are all highly acidic when digested. Diets that are rich in acidic forming foods has been proven to increase risks of illnesses and disease because the high acidity causes an accumulation of debris and mucous in the colon, which reduced the immune system's ability to eliminate toxins from the body.

Because the human digestive tract is not built to properly digest food, it takes the body longer to digest the meat than it will fruits, vegetables, and fiber, which means the food sits in the body longer, creating fats. You'll find that people that have big bellies, other than pregnant women, generally have a swollen bowel. If they tense up their abdomen, there's usually going to be about 1 to 2 inches of fat, and the rest intestines.

And because the structure of meat protein is more complex than other sources of protein, such as from fiber and plants, it puts more strain on the liver, which causes half digested protein molecules to enter the bloodstream and wreak havoc on the body.

Vegetable proteins are much easier for the human body to digest so they do not toxify the body the same way. Humans can survive on a vegetarian diet because the proteins that one can absorb from vegetable proteins are much more concentrated, so you don't have to eat as much of it in order to get the same amount of protein that you would from meat, and it's easier for the body to digest.
High Protein Foods Food Food Protein by Concentration (percent measured by weight)
Corn 8.6%
Soy beans, kidney beans, chick peas, lentils, etc. 10% to 35%
Rice 13%
Almonds, walnuts, cashews, hazel nuts, pine nuts, etc. 14% to 30%
Tofu (from soya) 16%
Pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, etc. 18% to 24%
Gluten (from flour) 70%
Spirulina 70%
Healthy Vegetarian Diet

If you're thinking about becoming a vegetarian for any reason, you'll want to make sure that you can keep a healthy diet.

It's important that you keep a well balanced diet, that includes dark leafy greens, varied vegetables, plenty of fruits, and of course vitamins and minerals. You want to eat products that have proteins in them to help supplement your diet; eat tofu, soy, nuts, and texturized vegetable proteins (soy meat). These will have less fats and fewer calories, which is healthier for you.

Depending on what type of vegetarian you want to be, you may be cutting out eggs and dairy. You may want to find a substitute, which can include the following.

* Milk- Fortified soymilk, rice milk, or almond mill
* Butter- Olive oil, water, vegetable broth, wine or fat-free cooking spray for sauteing, but canola oil when baking
* Cheese- Soy cheese or nutritional yeast flakes
* Eggs- Commercial egg replacers are good for baked goods, or to replace one egg, you can mix 1/4 cup whipped tofu or 1 tablespoon of milled flaxseed with 3 tablespoons of water

When it comes to your vitamins and minerals, you'll want to make sure that you get plenty of calcium for strong bones and muscles; vitamin B12 to produce red blood cells and prevent anemia; iron for red blood cells; and zinc which is an essential component of many enzymes and to aid cell division and in the formation of proteins.

You can get the vitamins you need by the following alternatives:

* Calcium- Low-fat dairy foods and dark green vegetables (spinach, turnip and collard greens, kale, and broccoli); tofu enriched with calcium; fortified soy milk; fruit juices
* Vitamin B12- Almost exclusive to animal products like milk, eggs and cheese; but you can use enriched cereals, fortified soy products, and/or a supplement as an alternative
* Iron- Dried beans and peas, lentils, enriched cereals, whole-grain products, dark leafy green vegetables, and dried fruit; eat foods rich in Vitamin C (strawberries, citrus fruits, tomatoes, cabbage, and broccoli) in order to help absorb the iron from non-animal products
* Zinc- Whole grains, soy products, nuts, and wheat germ.

God bless you all.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 988057
Canada
11/06/2010 05:13 PM
Report Abusive Post
Re: Why Be a Vegetarian
bump
@@

User ID: 991855
United Kingdom
11/06/2010 05:14 PM
Report Abusive Post
But dead animals taste so good goaway
Jesus is the reason for the season
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 734308
Canada
11/06/2010 05:16 PM
Report Abusive Post
Becoming a vegetarian has cured me from diabetes. I was diabetic for 15 years and I am completely off insulin now after becoming completely vegetarian.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1013606
United States
11/06/2010 05:18 PM
Report Abusive Post
bump
tkwasny

User ID: 1154911
United States
11/06/2010 05:19 PM
Report Abusive Post
All nicey, nice.

Go to a mirror about a foot away. Lift your upper lip.

See those CANINE teeth? You can run and deny what nature YOU ARE all you want, but NATURE says your an omnivore.

Who will I bet on, you or nature? I'll go with the overwhelming evidence right in front of my face.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1013606
United States
11/06/2010 05:21 PM
Report Abusive Post
My dog loves carrots.
Anon&on&on

User ID: 1154945
United States
11/06/2010 05:27 PM
Report Abusive Post
I would eat a turd before I put any soy products in my mouth. Do you know how bad soy is for you? It fucks with your hormones, brah.
*Shaun*

User ID: 1068506
United States
11/06/2010 05:29 PM
Report Abusive Post
vegetarian since 2008, i feel the best ever in my life(35years old)
~*i love you*~
*Shaun*

United States
11/06/2010 05:30 PM
Report Abusive Post
I would eat a turd before I put any soy products in my mouth. Do you know how bad soy is for you? It fucks with your hormones, brah.
 Quoting: Anon&on&on

i do organic, non-GMO soy:)

you believe the media?

lol

:)
~*i love you*~
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 923589
United States
11/06/2010 05:31 PM
Report Abusive Post
if we were meant to be vegans our digestive trac would be longer
tkwasny

United States
11/06/2010 05:32 PM
Report Abusive Post
 Quoting: *Shaun*

Omnivore since 1953, BP 118/80, Resting pulse 52, bench 240 8 reps - 3 sets, run 5:30 miles in a 10K. Works for me.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1136750
United States
11/06/2010 05:33 PM
Report Abusive Post
Paleo diet is best. And it was clinically proven to work better. Can't beat that...

I'll keep eating juicy ribeye steak. Hmm... I think I'll have one tonight.
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/06/2010 05:34 PM
Report Abusive Post

Omnivore since 1953, BP 118/80, Resting pulse 52, bench 240 8 reps - 3 sets, run 5:30 miles in a 10K. Works for me.
 Quoting: tkwasny

5:30 miles in a 10K? Does not compute! Warning system break down.

Poof!
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/06/2010 05:36 PM
Report Abusive Post

you believe the media?

lol

Quoting: *Shaun*

You believe the media over non-gmo soy?! LOL! Idiot. Show me random control trial studies that soy is healthy for you in the long run compared to others.

Psst... Japanese people do not consume soybean in large quantity and not only that they are FERMENTED! You're such a gullible doofus.
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/06/2010 05:37 PM
Report Abusive Post
Becoming a vegetarian has cured me from diabetes. I was diabetic for 15 years and I am completely off insulin now after becoming completely vegetarian.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 734308

Paleo diet is best for diabetes based on CLINICAL RANDOM CONTROL STUDIES.
LA-LA-LA

User ID: 1151137
United States
11/06/2010 05:40 PM
Report Abusive Post

but did you loose all your hair, are your teeth falling out, and are you super cranky?? That's what I want to know...
IMMANUEL

User ID: 1136999
United States
11/06/2010 05:40 PM
Report Abusive Post
Why Be a Vegetarian

There are many reasons why you should have a more vegetarian diet, to include reducing animal cruelty, helping the environment, decreasing world hunger, protecting worker's rights, and bettering your health.

* Animals in meat factories have no legal protection. They can be beat and abused to no end (mutilated, genetic manipulation, and neglect), and there's nothing that anyone can do about it.
* The United State's meat production poisons and depletes ware, land, and air. Animal agriculture causes 130 times more waste than the human population does by polluting the land, water, and air.
* Raising animals for food is inefficient because it takes up more supplies and resources, and costs more. By growing crops, we could easily feed every human on the planet with healthy foods, causing less pollution and for cheaper.
* Working in animal agriculture is one of the most dangerous jobs, and the overall industry has refused to create safe working conditions by supplying workers with safety equipment and slowing own the slaughter lines all because it'll cut into profits.
* By removing meat from your diet, or at least strongly reducing the amount of meat that you eat, you can potentially raise your immune system and protect your body against heart disease, diabetes, obesity, stroke, and many types of cancer.

Plus, humans were never built to eat meat. We were not designed for it, we have evolved enough to be able to digest meat.

We're Conditioned to Eat Meat

As studies have proven, we're just not meant to eat meat, but humans still hunt, kill, and eat meat. We still raise livestock to kill and serve on the dinner table. We're just conditioned to do it.

For most of human history, we have lived off of a vegetarian or lacto-ovo vegetarian diet, which means a there is a lack of all beef, lamb, pork, poultry, fish, shellfish, or animal flesh in the diet, but dairy and eggs are a part of the diet.

Some believe that humans are supposed to be omnivores, but if you look at the characteristics of an omnivore, they will more closely resemble those of a carnivore than a herbivore, and humans will still have more characteristics that closely resemble a herbivore.

When people eat meat, it decays within about 4 hours, but the remnants hang around and cling to the walls of the stomach and intestines for 3 to 4 days if not longer. Because our saliva is alkaline, it does not break down the meat as it should, which is why it lingers in our digestive tract a little longer.

If you look at true meat eaters, like lions and tigers, they kill their prey and tear directly into the stomach where the blood filled organs are. They need the nutrients from the stomach, liver, and intestines. When we cook raw meat, we are cooking out a lot of the necessary nutrients that true meat eaters need to survive, so if we were meant to eat meat, we would eat it raw and bloody.

Even carnivores who run across prey that has been burned in a fire don't eat their meat cooked.

Humans have adapted their bodies and digestive systems to eat and digest meat.
Compare Characteristics of Carnivores, Herbivores, and Humans Characteristics Meat Eaters Herbivores Humans
Claws Have claws No claws No Claws
Skin Pores Have no skin pores and prespire through the tongue Prespire through skin pores Prespire through skin pores
Intestinal Tract Have an intestinal tract that is only 3 times their body length so that rapidly decaying meat can pass through faster Have an instestinal tract that is 10 to 12 times their body length Have an instestinal tract that is 10 to 12 times their body length
Intestinal Shape Have bowels that are smooth and shaped like a pipe, so that meat passes through quickly Have bowels that are bumpy and pouch-like with lots of pockets so that plant matter can pass through slowly for optimal nutrient absorption Have bowels that are bumpy and pouch-like with lots of pockets so that plant matter can pass through slowly for optimal nutrient absorption
Stomach Acid Have strong hydrochloric acid in the stomach to digest meat Have stomach acid that is 20 times weaker than that of a meat eater Have stomach acid that is 20 times weaker than that of a meat eater
Salivary Glands Have salivary glands in the mouth that aren't needed to pre-digest grains and fruits. Have well-developed salivary glands that are needed to pre-digest grains and fruits Have well-developed salivary glands that are needed to pre-digest grains and fruits
Saliva Have acidic saliva without the enzyme ptyalin to pre-digest grains Have alkaline saliva with the ptyalin ezyme to pre-digest grains Have alkaline saliva with the ptyalin ezyme to pre-digest grains
Teeth Have sharp front teeth to pull meat off the bone, and do not have flat molars for chewing; canine teeth are lower than the other teeth and used for attacking; teeth are also jagged and interlocking to hold onto prey Have flat front teeth not built for pulling meat off the bone; and have flat molars for chewing; canine teeth fairly align with the rest of the teeth so not designed for attacking prey; teeth are fitted closely together Have flat front teeth not built for pulling meat off the bone; and have flat molars for chewing; canine teeth fairly align with the rest of the teeth so not designed for attacking prey; teeth are fitted closely together
Jaws Have jaws that move only in an up and down motion; also have jaws that project forward from the face in order to best hold onto prey Have jaws that can move backward and foward, up and down, and side to side, which is ideal to grind grains; jaw is set close to the face Have jaws that can move backward and foward, up and down, and side to side, which is ideal to grind grains; jaw is set close to the face
Looking at the characteristics of the herbivore and a human, we closely resemble the herbivore. Eating Meat is Bad for Human Health

People who do not eat meat or have a highly reduced meat diet, live longer, have lower cancer rates, and have higher IQs.

Men who eat red meat (even leave red meat) 4 to 5 times a week will have 4 times the risk of developing colon cancer than men who only eat meat as a main meal once a month, or less. It's thought that when red meat is cooked, carcinogens are created which may cause the increased risk of colon cancer.

But, even chicken, lamb, pork, turkey, quail, fish, eggs, sausages, mince, and beef are all highly acidic when digested. Diets that are rich in acidic forming foods has been proven to increase risks of illnesses and disease because the high acidity causes an accumulation of debris and mucous in the colon, which reduced the immune system's ability to eliminate toxins from the body.

Because the human digestive tract is not built to properly digest food, it takes the body longer to digest the meat than it will fruits, vegetables, and fiber, which means the food sits in the body longer, creating fats. You'll find that people that have big bellies, other than pregnant women, generally have a swollen bowel. If they tense up their abdomen, there's usually going to be about 1 to 2 inches of fat, and the rest intestines.

And because the structure of meat protein is more complex than other sources of protein, such as from fiber and plants, it puts more strain on the liver, which causes half digested protein molecules to enter the bloodstream and wreak havoc on the body.

Vegetable proteins are much easier for the human body to digest so they do not toxify the body the same way. Humans can survive on a vegetarian diet because the proteins that one can absorb from vegetable proteins are much more concentrated, so you don't have to eat as much of it in order to get the same amount of protein that you would from meat, and it's easier for the body to digest.
High Protein Foods Food Food Protein by Concentration (percent measured by weight)
Corn 8.6%
Soy beans, kidney beans, chick peas, lentils, etc. 10% to 35%
Rice 13%
Almonds, walnuts, cashews, hazel nuts, pine nuts, etc. 14% to 30%
Tofu (from soya) 16%
Pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, etc. 18% to 24%
Gluten (from flour) 70%
Spirulina 70%
Healthy Vegetarian Diet

If you're thinking about becoming a vegetarian for any reason, you'll want to make sure that you can keep a healthy diet.

It's important that you keep a well balanced diet, that includes dark leafy greens, varied vegetables, plenty of fruits, and of course vitamins and minerals. You want to eat products that have proteins in them to help supplement your diet; eat tofu, soy, nuts, and texturized vegetable proteins (soy meat). These will have less fats and fewer calories, which is healthier for you.

Depending on what type of vegetarian you want to be, you may be cutting out eggs and dairy. You may want to find a substitute, which can include the following.

* Milk- Fortified soymilk, rice milk, or almond mill
* Butter- Olive oil, water, vegetable broth, wine or fat-free cooking spray for sauteing, but canola oil when baking
* Cheese- Soy cheese or nutritional yeast flakes
* Eggs- Commercial egg replacers are good for baked goods, or to replace one egg, you can mix 1/4 cup whipped tofu or 1 tablespoon of milled flaxseed with 3 tablespoons of water

When it comes to your vitamins and minerals, you'll want to make sure that you get plenty of calcium for strong bones and muscles; vitamin B12 to produce red blood cells and prevent anemia; iron for red blood cells; and zinc which is an essential component of many enzymes and to aid cell division and in the formation of proteins.

You can get the vitamins you need by the following alternatives:

* Calcium- Low-fat dairy foods and dark green vegetables (spinach, turnip and collard greens, kale, and broccoli); tofu enriched with calcium; fortified soy milk; fruit juices
* Vitamin B12- Almost exclusive to animal products like milk, eggs and cheese; but you can use enriched cereals, fortified soy products, and/or a supplement as an alternative
* Iron- Dried beans and peas, lentils, enriched cereals, whole-grain products, dark leafy green vegetables, and dried fruit; eat foods rich in Vitamin C (strawberries, citrus fruits, tomatoes, cabbage, and broccoli) in order to help absorb the iron from non-animal products
* Zinc- Whole grains, soy products, nuts, and wheat germ.

God bless you all.
 Quoting: hokieokie

God Bless you too!

Vegan's rule!!!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1149825
United States
11/06/2010 05:41 PM
Report Abusive Post
i just don't want to have any part in the terror and murder of any other creature, be it animal or human

but sadly, to get what they want, most people couldn't care less if something or someone had to die for it

society is mostly heartless
IMMANUEL

User ID: 1136999
United States
11/06/2010 05:42 PM
Report Abusive Post

but did you loose all your hair, are your teeth falling out, and are you super cranky?? That's what I want to know...
 Quoting: LA-LA-LA

Shit I am finer than a muthafucka....

I will be fasting a bit more here coming up and I will thin out even more!

Meat\Protein makes you acidic when the protein breaks down

Alkalinity is the key!
*Shaun*

United States
11/06/2010 05:42 PM
Report Abusive Post

you believe the media?

lol

You believe the media over non-gmo soy?! LOL! Idiot. Show me random control trial studies that soy is healthy for you in the long run compared to others.

Psst... Japanese people do not consume soybean in large quantity and not only that they are FERMENTED! You're such a gullible doofus.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1136750

lol

proof is my health, lol

i dont give a fuck what you or anyone thinks..

i know why it exists on this planet.

~*i love you*~
hokieokie  (OP)

User ID: 1154887
United Kingdom
11/06/2010 05:44 PM
Report Abusive Post
All nicey, nice.

Go to a mirror about a foot away. Lift your upper lip.

See those CANINE teeth? You can run and deny what nature YOU ARE all you want, but NATURE says your an omnivore.

Who will I bet on, you or nature? I'll go with the overwhelming evidence right in front of my face.

i would like to see you butt naked chasing a sheep and killing it with your bear hands and then using your razor sharp canine teeth to rip into it and enjoy it, then when you have finished clean yourself with that long human tongue ,,, stop talking from your ego wake up and find who you truly are brother,,,,

Last Edited by hokieokie on 11/06/2010 05:44 PM
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1154362
Netherlands
11/06/2010 05:48 PM
Report Abusive Post
it is more :

you do not kill young animals with parents and sure not when they are locked up.

after that you do not milk the cow or animal to death.

you do not lock up animals with fenses in a ruined landscape(like ours).

you do not let them live in dirtplaces and you do not feed them weird things.

if there are enough and they do not mind eat em.

that is when the animal has no friends or close ones to feel sad about it.

or else a or that peon/ghost will kill you also(HIGH CHANCE.)

dunno how it goes when you buy it , but that is blocked also.

thats why people also get weird to eachother and it is not only the animals.

they always come back man so maybe allot is granted.
but then that peon goes there and then that peon goes there and nobody knows why the being gets weird and sometimes mad.

and :? uh oh just understand allot and addapt the country with it.

if you wait then there is always another with a stronger thing to give a payback.

waiting for it sucks and then you loose what you wanted for nothing.

astronaut food or goo is great made up by cern with little planets.

so ehm that goes slow and disastering.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 592649
Australia
11/06/2010 06:00 PM
Report Abusive Post
Ok here is my problem with your logic

vitamin B12 to produce red blood cells and prevent anemia;

You talk about how bad animal products are for us then you openly admit that something we NEED to avoid a debilitating blood disorder is found almost exclusively in animal products!!! whilst telling us how unnatural and abnormal it is for our bodies to consume it, over indulgence of ANYTHING is bad for the body even too much water will kill you.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1050140
United States
11/06/2010 06:04 PM
Report Abusive Post
Good for you OP!
*Shaun*

United States
11/06/2010 06:09 PM
Report Abusive Post

You talk about how bad animal products are for us then you openly admit that something we NEED to avoid a debilitating blood disorder is found almost exclusively in animal products!!! whilst telling us how unnatural and abnormal it is for our bodies to consume it, over indulgence of ANYTHING is bad for the body even too much water will kill you.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 592649

lies.

b12, is a little mroe common than you think..

you see the powers that were want you to eat flesh, they will do all of thier powers to make you eat flesh.

they control the medical and the media..

open your mind bro, please
~*i love you*~
etherealgirl

User ID: 940359
United States
11/06/2010 06:09 PM
Report Abusive Post
And then there is this....... [link to www.worldhealth.net]

Read entire article at site...just bits and pieces here......

From the American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine Worldhealth.net: Global Resource for Anti-Aging Medicine -- these people are serious about only one thing - extending the human life span healthfully. (--------- begin report ---------

By Jerome Burne
Last updated at 9:05 AM on 26th October 2010

It's an extraordinary claim. But scientists say you can extend your life AND stay fit throughout old age - just by a change of diet that switches on your youth gene...

For centuries man has dreamed of being immortal, fixated on tales of magic fountains that restore youth, the rejuvenating power of a vampire’s bite or asses’ milk.

More recently came claims that injections of monkey glands or hormone supplements would make us live longer.

But so far, what’s actually worked are *medical advances such as vaccines and better living conditions. Over the past century these have boosted average life expectancy by far more than 50 per cent, from 50 to 88.

But now a U.S. geneticist is thought to have discovered the secret to a long life, full of health and energy. And the answer might be as simple as cutting down on carbohydrates.

Professor Cynthia Kenyon, whom many experts believe should win the Nobel Prize for her research into ageing, has discovered that the carbohydrates we eat * from bananas and potatoes to bread, pasta, biscuits and cakes * directly affect two key genes that govern youthfulness and longevity.

She made her remarkable breakthrough after studying roundworms, specifically the C.elegans, a worm just a millimetre in size that lives in soil in temperate climates all over the world.

By tweaking some of their genes she has been able to help these worms live up to six times longer than normal. ‘Not only that, but we also know how to make them stay healthy all that time as well,’ she told an audience at the Wellcome Collection in London earlier this month.

So, what do worms have to do with us?

A great deal, it seems. Professor Kenyon’s work has been successfully repeated in labs around the world * the genes she found controlling ageing in worms do the same thing in rats and mice, probably monkeys, and there are signs they are active in humans, too.

But what Professor Kenyon found out was why *drastically reducing calories has such a remarkable effect.

She discovered that it changed the way two crucial genes behaved. It turned down the gene that controls insulin, which in turn switched on another gene, which acted like an elixir of life.

‘We jokingly called the first gene the Grim Reaper because when it’s switched on, the lifespan is fairly short,’ she explains.

The *second ‘elixir’ gene seems to bring all the anti-ageing benefits * its proper name is DAF 16, but it was quickly nicknamed ‘Sweet Sixteen’ because it turned the worms into teenagers.

‘It sends out instructions to a whole range of repair and renovation genes,’ says Professor Kenyon.

‘Your supply of natural anti*oxidants goes up, damping down damaging free radicals.’

These are the *compounds produced by our body and the environment, which are linked to a host of diseases from *cancer to Alzheimer’s.

The Sweet Sixteen gene also ‘boosts compounds that make sure the skin and muscle-building *proteins are working properly, the immune system becomes more active to fight infection and genes that are active in cancer get turned off,’ she adds.

Kenyon had stumbled on the genetic equivalent of Shangri-La, the fictional valley where people could live for years without really ageing.

Discovering the Grim Reaper gene has prompted the professor to *dramatically alter her own diet, *cutting right back on carbohydrates. That’s because carbs make your body produce more insulin (to mop up the extra blood sugar carbs *produce); and more insulin means a more active Grim Reaper.

So the vital second gene, the ‘elixir’ one, won’t get turned on. To test this, last year she added a tiny amount of *sugary glucose to the normal diet of some of her worms that had had their genes engineered so they were living much longer, healthier lives.

‘The effect was remarkable,’ she says. ‘The sugary glucose blocked the “youthful” genes and they lost most of the health gains.’

But was this just a special feature of the roundworm or did we all have it?

Following Kenyon’s lead, other researchers started looking for the Grim Reaper/ Sweet Sixteen combination in other animals * and of course in humans. They found it.

One clue came from a small remote community of dwarves living in northern Ecuador who are cancer-free. They are missing the part of the Grim Reaper gene that controls a hormone called insulin-like growth factor. The downside is they only grow to 4ft tall because the hormone is needed for growth.

But this missing bit of the Grim Reaper gene also means they don’t develop cancer and are less likely to suffer from heart disease or obesity.

Professor Jeff Holly, who specialises in insulin-like growth factor, confirms that it is linked to cancer of the prostate, breast and colon.

In fact raised insulin levels, triggered by high carbohydrate *consumption, could be what *connects many of our big killers.

Research is at its early stage, but raised insulin triggers an increase in cholesterol production in the liver, makes the walls of blood vessels *contract so blood pressure goes up and stimulates the release of fats called triglycerides (linked to heart disease).

Professor Kenyon’s work is *creating a wave of excitement among drug companies who’ve been researching molecules that will damp down the Grim Reaper and boost Sweet *Sixteen, giving us the benefits of very low-calorie diets without the *penalties. So far, none is very near being approved.

One way to reduce insulin levels is to exercise, which makes you more sensitive to it, which in turn means you need less of it. It also gives another health benefit in a surprising way. Exercise actually increases the level of damaging free radicals which stimulates the body to produce more protective anti-oxidants.

So should we all be trying to cut back on carbs to reduce our insulin levels?

It is a suggestion that flies in the face of 30 years of health advice to have a lower fat intake and eat plenty of long-lasting complex carbo*hydrates to keep the body supplied with energy.

There is no denying the extra*ordinary breakthrough Kenyon’s work represents and she ‘deserves the Nobel Prize for her findings about ageing’, says David Gems, deputy director of the Institute for Healthy Ageing at University *College, London.

However he isn’t convinced we know enough for us all to start eating a low-carb diet.

‘The exact role of insulin in health and ageing is a promising and fascinating area,’ he says. ‘But I’m not sure the evidence for the benefit of cutting carbohydrates and keeping insulin levels down is strong enough yet.’

But Professor Kenyon herself doesn’t need convincing.

‘Carbo*hydrates, and especially refined ones like sugar, make you produce lots of extra insulin. I’ve been keeping my intake really low ever since I discovered this.

‘I’ve cut out all starch such as potatoes, noodles, rice, bread and pasta. Instead I have salads, but no sweet dressing, lots of olive oil and nuts, tons of green vegetables along with cheese, chicken and eggs.

‘I’ll have a hamburger without a bun and fish without batter or chips. I eat some fruit every day, but not too much and almost no processed food. I stay away from sweets, except 80 per cent chocolate.’

She is adamant it will be well worthwhile. ‘You could have two completely different careers if you could stay healthy to 90,’ she says. ‘How fascinating that would be.’

--------- end of report ---------

Next time you want a coke, piece of cake, baked potato, rice, bread, or anything else, just think "That stuff will kill me".

The diet we call low-carb is really low-glycemic. Google "Glycemic Load Chart" or "Glycemic Index Chart" and you will find the Glycemic Load (most important) and Glycemic Index (also very important) of the foods you eat.

Keeping the glycemic load down, keeps the insulin production down, and if Kenyon is correct (and I've read other evidence that she is) then you can live a longer, more disease free life as you lose weight.

Last Edited by etherealgirl on 11/06/2010 06:17 PM
"I'm eschewing all men, cigarettes and carbohydrates".~Bridget Jones

I don't care if you lick windows,take the special bus or occasionally pee on yourself...you hang in there sunshine, you're special.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1148722
United States
11/06/2010 06:11 PM
Report Abusive Post
When someone asks me why - I simply reply,"why not?!?"
tkwasny

United States
11/06/2010 06:13 PM
Report Abusive Post

5:30 miles in a 10K? Does not compute! Warning system break down.

Poof!
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1136750

Each mile in a 10K takes 5:30, Better?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1046476
Canada
11/06/2010 06:14 PM
Report Abusive Post
if we were meant to be vegans our digestive trac would be longer
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 923589

vegans are not vegetarian......... iamwith
moondust

User ID: 1133894
United States
11/06/2010 06:21 PM
Report Abusive Post

Quoting: Anonymous Coward 592649

Almost, but not quite. Vitamin B12 is found in nutritional yeast (deactivated yeast).

[link to en.wikipedia.org]

Vegan is healthy if the vegan takes supplements or plans the diet very diligently.

To all the idiots who think they can just run to mcd's and get all the vitamins required, you are barking up the wrong tree by arguing with a vegan about what's "healthy."
"But don't you think it's better for a girl to be preoccupied with sex than occupied?" -The Moon Is Blue(1953)
“Ninety-nine percent of who you are is invisible and untouchable.” ~Richard Buckminster Fuller
"Does koala bear poop smell like cough drops?" ~Tom Robbins (Jitterbug Perfume)
[link to www.mpp.org] medpot
:sleepz:
~**Ron Paul 2012**~

GLP