Space Elevators--Do They Exist?

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1210440
United States
12/30/2010 06:21 AM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Space Elevators--Do They Exist?
Check out this promotional vid for one of the MANY companies that is working on prototypes of space elevators:

I remember reading Arthur C. Clarke's book "Fountains of Paradise" ages ago and figuring we'd have space elevators soon, but 25+ years later they still haven't figured it out?

OR

Have they already put them into operation and hid their existence?

This idea occured to me while watching the interesting documentary "Moon Rising" where a graphic artists shows his retouched pictures of the moon and space from NASA.

His process reveals some interseting formations in space that seem to have ribbons extending down to the earth:

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 346859
United States
12/30/2010 06:21 AM
Report Abusive Post
Re: Space Elevators--Do They Exist?
no they do not exist.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
12/30/2010 06:29 AM
Report Abusive Post
no they do not exist.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 346859

Thanks for your opinion.
I am sure it is based on careful research and consideration, right?
You wouldn't just pop off about something you haven't looked into, right?
Just checking.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
12/30/2010 06:43 AM
Report Abusive Post
[link to www.youtube.com]
Chapman_Baxter

User ID: 1085876
United Kingdom
12/30/2010 08:06 AM
Report Abusive Post
How could they possibly hide a thick cable that is hanging in the sky?

Here's some lovely maths on the subject:
[link to www.zadar.net]

"Under the term the cable length we consider the length where the cable is of the same thickness on the both ends. Consequently, the cable length is 143 800 km (although it can be in reality shorter or longer)."

Last Edited by Chapman_Baxter on 12/30/2010 08:07 AM
"It's an inter-dimensional intrusion into flatland," said the vicar to the choir boy.
Dr. House

User ID: 1176427
United States
12/30/2010 10:52 AM
Report Abusive Post
They do not exist. If a "space Elevator" existed there would be a decent sized mass in geosynchronous orbit around the equator of earth. Armchair astronomers would have seen that through a low powered telescope, perhaps even through binoculars and attention would have been called to it to where the more serious amateur astronomers with larger optical devices would have focused their attention on it and would have made out the 'cable'.

Currently the only material we have that could, possibly, be strong enough to make a space elevator is the 'Bucky ball' carbon atom called a fullerene.

Fullerenes are a 'new' material that is adaptive nanotechnology. We are only now entering the area of practical application of nanotechnology.

While we have had success in creating small fullerenes in the lab, we have yet to mass produce or make a fullerene that is useful in any practical technology.

Do not be disheartened by this, during the next couple three decades do expect there to be an explosion of fullerene technology being used in lots of stuff.

The glass company Corning invented a 'new' glass back in the 1930's-40's that has had no use until very recently. The 'rediscovery' of it (basically someone was sifting through old files) has lead to new experimentation to see if it can be used to make ultra-ultra thin screens/monitors for cell phones, TV's computers. The strength of the glass is such that a 1/4 inch frame less TV monitor may be on the shelf in the next 10 years.

I mention this to point out that we humans do in fact return to old ideas and old 'finds' in order to apply to current (yet new) technologies.

It is highly probable that a space elevator will be on the list of applications once mass production of the fullerene stars.
Sinkhole list:
Thread: Sinkholes Updated 28 Dec 2010
find a sinkhole, add it to this thread, please.

"Whoever hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him." (1 John 3:15, NKJV).
BRIEF AND TO THE POINT

User ID: 381742
United States
12/30/2010 10:53 AM
Report Abusive Post
no they do not exist.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 346859

They do in theory...
Poor people do poor people things, and rich people do rich people things.

You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity.

What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.

The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it!

when you rob Paul to give to Peter ... ... ... you will always get Peters support!

:Brieffromnativea:
Chapman_Baxter

User ID: 1085876
United Kingdom
12/31/2010 07:31 AM
Report Abusive Post
Just found this in my subs (BBC4 so may be unavailable to non-UK'ers, let me know).

"It's an inter-dimensional intrusion into flatland," said the vicar to the choir boy.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1211946
Australia
12/31/2010 07:48 AM
Report Abusive Post
A big rope sticking up into the sky would be a hazard for aircraft. So they couldn't just pretend it isn't there.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
12/31/2010 07:51 AM
Report Abusive Post
[link to weewarrior.wordpress.com]

Some more info I have collected.

So far I haven't heard an argument that convinces me this is a dead end investigation.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 928398
United States
12/31/2010 07:58 AM
Report Abusive Post
By the time anytime hits YOU TUBE... of course it is TRUE... and YES... they do exist...

It is old news...

We are 20 years beyond in what the general public knows.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
12/31/2010 08:00 AM
Report Abusive Post
By the time anytime hits YOU TUBE... of course it is TRUE... and YES... they do exist...

It is old news...

We are 20 years beyond in what the general public knows.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 928398

At least 20, if not light years.
Problem is, how to we get them to fess up and share?
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
12/31/2010 08:19 AM
Report Abusive Post
Just found this in my subs (BBC4 so may be unavailable to non-UK'ers, let me know).

Quoting: Chapman_Baxter

Thanks, I got it just fine.
Very interesting, such a showman, ain't he.

Anyway, I couldn't help asking myself just how they knew that the Kevlar material would only support 2 or 3 people for a journey from earth to space without having tried it out already? Formulas and models are one thing, but to think they haven't been testing this out under real conditions already is just a bit naive.

GLP