Interesting facts...
User ID: 769657
United States
01/06/2011 01:48 AM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
ONIONS CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE.
ONIONS

In 1919 when the flu killed 40 million people there was this Doctor that visited the many farmers to see if he could help them combat the flu.
Many of the farmers and their family had contracted it and many died.

The doctor came upon this one farmer and to his surprise, everyone was very healthy. When the doctor asked what the farmer was doing that was different the wife replied that she had placed an unpeeled onion in a dish in the rooms of the home, (probably only two rooms back then). The doctor couldn't believe it and asked if he could have one of the onions and place it under the microscope. She gave him one and when he did this, he did find the flu virus in the onion. It obviously absorbed the bacteria, therefore, keeping the family healthy.

Now, I heard this story from my hairdresser in AZ. She said that several years ago many of her employees were coming down with the flu and so were many of her customers. The next year she placed several bowls with onions around in her shop. To her surprise, none of her staff got sick. It must work.. (And no, she is not in the onion business.)

The moral of the story is, buy some onions and place them in bowls around your home. If you work at a desk, place one or two in your office or under your desk or even on top somewhere. Try it and see what happens.. We did it last year and we never got the flu.

If this helps you and your loved ones from getting sick, all the better. If you do get the flu, it just might be a mild case.. Whatever, what have you to lose? Just a few bucks on onions!!!!!!

Now there is a P. S. to this for I sent it to a friend in Oregon who regularly contributes material to me on health issues. She replied with this most interesting experience about onions:

Thanks for the reminder. I don't know about the farmers story.. but, I do know that I contacted pneumonia and needless to say I was very ill.. I came across an article that said to cut both ends off an onion put one end on a fork and then place the forked end into an empty jar...placing the jar next to the sick patient at night. It said the onion would be black in the morning from the germs.. sure enough it happened just like that.. the onion was a mess and I began to feel better.

Another thing I read in the article was that onions and garlic placed around the room saved many from the black plague years ago.. They have powerful antibacterial, antiseptic properties.

This is the other note.

Lots of times when we have stomach problems we don't know what to blame. Maybe it's the onions that are to blame. Onions absorb bacteria is the reason they are so good at preventing us from getting colds and flu's and is the very reason we shouldn't eat an onion that has been sitting for a time after it has been cut open.

LEFT OVER ONIONS ARE POISONOUS

I had the wonderful privilege of touring Mullins Food Products, Makers of mayonnaise.. Mullins is huge, and is owned by 11 brothers and sisters in the Mullins family. My friend, Jeanne, is the CEO.

Questions about food poisoning came up, and I wanted to share what I learned from a chemist.

The guy who gave us our tour is named Ed. He's one of the brothers Ed is a chemistry expert and is involved in developing most of the sauce formula. He's even developed sauce formula for McDonald's.

Keep in mind that Ed is a food chemistry whiz. During the tour, someone asked if we really needed to worry about mayonnaise. People are always worried that mayonnaise will spoil. Ed's answer will surprise you. Ed said that all commercially- made Mayo is completely safe.

"It doesn't even have to be refrigerated. No harm in refrigerating it, but it's not really necessary." He explained that the pH in mayonnaise is set at a point that bacteria could not survive in that environment. He then talked about the quaint essential picnic, with the bowl of potato salad sitting on the table and how everyone blames the mayonnaise when someone gets sick.

Ed says that when food poisoning is reported, the first thing the officials look for is when the 'victim' last ate ONIONS and where those onions came from (in the potato salad?). Ed says it's not the mayonnaise (as long as it's not homemade Mayo) that spoils in the outdoors. It's probably the onions, and if not the onions, it's the POTATOES.

He explained, onions are a huge magnet for bacteria, especially uncooked onions. You should never plan to keep a portion of a sliced onion. He says it's not even safe if you put it in a zip-lock bag and put it in your refrigerator.

It's already contaminated enough just by being cut open and out for a bit, that it can be a danger to you (and doubly watch out for those onions you put in your hotdogs at the baseball park!)

Ed says if you take the leftover onion and cook it like crazy you’ll probably be okay, but if you slice that leftover onion and put on your sandwich, you're asking for trouble. Both the onions and the moist potato in a potato salad, will attract and grow bacteria faster than any commercial mayonnaise will even begin to break down.

So, how's that for news? Take it for what you will. I (the author) am going to be very careful about my onions from now on. For some reason, I see a lot of credibility coming from a chemist and a company that produces millions of pounds of mayonnaise every year.

Also, dogs should never eat onions. Their stomachs cannot metabolize onions.

Please remember it is dangerous to cut an onion and try to use it to cook the next day, it becomes highly poisonous for even a single night and creates toxic bacteria which may cause adverse stomach infections because of excess bile secretions and even food poisoning.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1219562
Spain
01/06/2011 10:09 AM
Report Abusive Post
Re: ONIONS CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE.
bump
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1219475
United States
01/06/2011 10:11 AM
Report Abusive Post
Yes have them around my house right now, many people do this now.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1165715
United States
01/06/2011 10:13 AM
Report Abusive Post
onions and garlic... op, you have to cut them open or peel them to work, right?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1219401
United States
01/06/2011 10:14 AM
Report Abusive Post
People used to take onions, cut them in half, and put them in socks with the cut part on the bottom of their feet. It'll suck a fever right out of you. Not to mention what the onion will look like when you take it off the next morning.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1219562
Spain
01/06/2011 10:16 AM
Report Abusive Post
onions and garlic... op, you have to cut them open or peel them to work, right?
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1165715

cut them
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1086216
United States
01/06/2011 10:18 AM
Report Abusive Post
My grandmother told me that she got Scarlet Fever as a child (around 1930 or so), and the only treatment they had, was to place an onion garland around her neck and some around the rooms. I had heard the onion stories before, about them turning black when left by a sick person... but I didn't fully believe it until my grandmother told me it was actually used as a treatment!

Fantastic post OP!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1212590
Sweden
01/06/2011 10:20 AM
Report Abusive Post
40 million. I don't think so.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1219475
United States
01/06/2011 10:24 AM
Report Abusive Post
So dont peel them people, it is so easy.

Cut the ends off a little and leave them unpeeled, you do smell them but the smell goes away after a day or so, dont touch them after, they are soaking up the bacteria. Put them in a bowl, small ones around your house. I think some people poke them with a fork, throw them in a jar and let them sit. If you put a new one near a sick person it helps with breathing, noticed that myself.

Just try it, you dont have to replace them daily or anything, let the sit, the smell goes away after two days or so, let them suck up the bacteria and whatever else they can for awhile, then throw them away-keep your hands off of them once you placed them. Give it a shot, cheap and easy to do.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1219507
Canada
01/06/2011 10:25 AM
Report Abusive Post
I love onions. Eat them like apples. Onions in everything.
I always cut an onion and leave it for a day or two. Have those methane releasing storage Tupperware containers.
Been doing this for decades, and NOW YOU TELL ME!!
Perhaps overload of onions creates immunity? Or I got
a week to live?

Well been healthy and in athletic shape my whole life. I credit the onion!! Thanks for the post OP.

happydance
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1210616
United States
01/06/2011 10:27 AM
Report Abusive Post
bump
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1081433
United States
01/06/2011 10:28 AM
Report Abusive Post
Been doing this for decades, and NOW YOU TELL ME!!

Quoting: CDNpiper

lmao
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1219580
United Kingdom
01/06/2011 10:30 AM
Report Abusive Post
40 million. I don't think so.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1212590

yep my doctor told me that.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1203355
Netherlands
01/06/2011 10:32 AM
Report Abusive Post
just put a bit of salt on the onions . and the trouble is gone .
The Analog Guy

User ID: 986633
United States
01/06/2011 10:35 AM

Report Abusive Post
It's a very nice story but in 1919 microscopes did not have the resolving power to see viruses. You need an electron microscope.
I say burn all of your bridges while you still have control of the flame.
We are like flies crawling across the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel: We cannot see what angels and gods lie underneath the threshold of our perceptions. We do not live in reality; we live in our paradigms, our habituated perceptions, our illusions; the illusions we share through culture we call reality, but the true historical reality of our condition is invisible to us.”
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1192748
United States
01/06/2011 10:37 AM
Report Abusive Post
Fail....

Farmers spend all day long outside farming in the sun...

Their vitamin D level must be really high to protect them from flu.

[link to www.vitamindcouncil.org]
-Rick

User ID: 1165831
United States
01/06/2011 10:38 AM
Report Abusive Post
I love ONIONS, i bite into them raw all the time, there so good they make you cry. bump
Get busy living, or get busy dying.
:RickRoll'd:
Jeramiah Johnson

User ID: 1219581
United States
01/06/2011 10:39 AM
Report Abusive Post
bump
"You can't judge a REAL MAN by his looks, height or weight. You can only judge him by the depth of his soul, the content of his character, and the size of his heart." - Me.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1219589
United States
01/06/2011 10:40 AM
Report Abusive Post
[link to urbanlegends.about.com]

click this and learn the truth
Punk-A$$ets

User ID: 1107017
United States
01/06/2011 10:42 AM
Report Abusive Post
Oh good lord.
J-Rico

User ID: 1116423
United States
01/06/2011 10:43 AM
Report Abusive Post
Old Wives' Tales most likely.
My family has a MILLION of them.

I've heard of the onion one before.

But the one that was most prevalent in my family was the "aloe" plant. Everyone used to drink the "juice" from aloe plants because they thought it was the cure all for every cold and flu and any other sickness out there.
Everyone dies, but not everyone lives.

:moranrico::Rico::moranrico:
the Quetzal

User ID: 1216812
Canada
01/06/2011 10:43 AM
Report Abusive Post
i believe you, but they say its a FAIL

[link to www.snopes.com]
the Quetzal

User ID: 1216812
Canada
01/06/2011 10:44 AM
Report Abusive Post
Everyone used to drink the "juice" from aloe plants because they thought it was the cure all for every cold and flu and any other sickness out there.
 Quoting: J-Rico

aloe is pretty awesome dude...

and all sickness is only in the mind, so heal the mind, and the body will follow :)
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1219481
France
01/06/2011 10:45 AM
Report Abusive Post
Pinning an onion thread is fail.

Stinky onion thread is stinky.
Itsalltrue

User ID: 1158204
United States
01/06/2011 10:45 AM
Report Abusive Post
pin wtf
cornucopia

User ID: 1068506
United States
01/06/2011 10:46 AM
Report Abusive Post
eating organic/raw garlic can too:)
~*i love you*~
fleshette

User ID: 1092073
Canada
01/06/2011 10:46 AM
Report Abusive Post
Seriously, this idea is arcane and would only make sense to illiterate peasants in the 1500s.

Analysis: There's no scientific basis for this old wives' tale, which dates at least as far back as the 1500s, when it was believed that distributing raw onions around a residence guarded against the bubonic plague. This was long before germs were discovered, of course, and a prevalent theory held that contagious diseases were spread by miasma, or "noxious air." It was apparently believed that onions, whose absorbent qualities had been well known since ancient times, could cleanse the air by trapping harmful odors.

There is, of course, no more scientific basis for the belief that onions absorb all the germs in a room than for the belief that they rid the air of "poisons."

[link to urbanlegends.about.com]
J-Rico

User ID: 1116423
United States
01/06/2011 10:47 AM
Report Abusive Post
Everyone used to drink the "juice" from aloe plants because they thought it was the cure all for every cold and flu and any other sickness out there.

aloe is pretty awesome dude...

and all sickness is only in the mind, so heal the mind, and the body will follow :)
 Quoting: the Quetzal

It tastes terrible when extraced right from the plant. My grandmother saved up JARS upon JARS of it.

I used to think it was partly true about it's healing properties but partly the placebo effect on my family.
Everyone dies, but not everyone lives.

:moranrico::Rico::moranrico:
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 71405
United States
01/06/2011 10:48 AM
Report Abusive Post
If life gives you onions, make onionade!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1202080
United States
01/06/2011 10:51 AM
Report Abusive Post
People used to take onions, cut them in half, and put them in socks with the cut part on the bottom of their feet. It'll suck a fever right out of you. Not to mention what the onion will look like when you take it off the next morning.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1219401

The old ways really do work.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 276706
United Kingdom
01/06/2011 10:51 AM
Report Abusive Post
OP, i beg to differ. I have family in Thailand, Iran and Dubai. I travel to these countries at least once a year.
Onions are one of the main ingeridients for cooking in Iran and Dubai. They also eat them raw with food. Like any 3er world country, nothing is ever thrown away. That means as well as other things, raw onions are kept (outside of fridge) for the following day.
In all the 3 countries i visit, never has there been a mention of people getting sick over this.
In those countries onion is regarded as a disinfectant and that is why it is used in cooking and eaten raw.

BTW: you warn people from eating onions in hotdog stands and yet there has not been any reports of anyone ever being ill because of eating onions in their hotdogs.

GLP