Godlike Productions - Discussion Forum
Users Online Now: 2,161 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 800,689
Pageviews Today: 1,414,959Threads Today: 597Posts Today: 10,404
04:23 PM

Rate this Thread

Absolute BS Crap Reasonable Nice Amazing

AMERICANS: DO YOU THINK YOUR STATE SHOULD SECEDE?

Intentionally Blank
Offer Upgrade

User ID: 1238181
United Kingdom
01/21/2011 08:33 AM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
AMERICANS: DO YOU THINK YOUR STATE SHOULD SECEDE?
It's been a subject for discussion for some time, especially since the economic meltdown in 2008.

Even the MSM are beginning to discuss the issue, as the US seems increasingly divided along political, religious, social and economic lines:

'Will America Break Up?' Washington Times:

[link to www.washingtontimes.com]

'Imagine Breaking Up the United States' Wall Street Journal:

[link to online.wsj.com]

'Will the US Break UP?' Washington's Blog:

[link to georgewashington2.blogspot.com]

If you would like to see your State secede, do you think:

a) It should've seceded years ago.

b) It should secede now.

c) It should secede when further reasons to do so develops.

If you are NOT in favour of secession, how do you feel about others considering this as an option?

Please don't misunderstand and think that this post is meant to be in any way adversarial. I am just curious about what fellow GLPers' thoughts are on the subject.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 987910
Canada
01/21/2011 08:35 AM
Report Abusive Post
Re: AMERICANS: DO YOU THINK YOUR STATE SHOULD SECEDE?
I think Detroit should
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1238108
United States
01/21/2011 08:36 AM
Report Abusive Post
I'm 72 yr old and on SS. Almost all of my savings are gone...so I'm dependent on SS...so no, I don't wish my State to secede.
Intentionally Blank  (OP)

United Kingdom
01/21/2011 08:37 AM
Report Abusive Post
Good point. Detroit is totally broke. I don't think, given their circumstances, they'll want to go... but I never really considered FORCED SECESSION...Hmmm...

Last Edited by Intentionally Blank on 01/21/2011 08:38 AM

United Kingdom
01/21/2011 08:40 AM
Report Abusive Post
I'm 72 yr old and on SS. Almost all of my savings are gone...so I'm dependent on SS...so no, I don't wish my State to secede.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1238108

OK... I can see your point. But what if the feds let you down and pulled the plug on SS?
Mysterysoul

User ID: 927010
United States
01/21/2011 08:44 AM
Report Abusive Post
IMO alot of states can't stand on their own feet without a bit of federal help, seceding prolly wouldn't be in the best interest of a lot of states.

Even the ones with military bases have to remember the military will remove all assets such as Soldiers(those willing of course), vehicles, and what not. the land and base may be returned to the state but it would be up to the state to fill it.

I am not a big fan of a large federal presence in any state, but i agree that some measure should be taken so that a large presence and control should be removed and allow a state to do what IT feels is in it's best interest for it's people.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming--WOO HOO what a ride!"

United Kingdom
01/21/2011 08:46 AM
Report Abusive Post
IMO alot of states can't stand on their own feet without a bit of federal help, seceding prolly wouldn't be in the best interest of a lot of states.

Even the ones with military bases have to remember the military will remove all assets such as Soldiers(those willing of course), vehicles, and what not. the land and base may be returned to the state but it would be up to the state to fill it.

I am not a big fan of a large federal presence in any state, but i agree that some measure should be taken so that a large presence and control should be removed and allow a state to do what IT feels is in it's best interest for it's people.
 Quoting: Mysterysoul

Individual States had far more power in the past. Do you think the federal Government will restore some of those powers in the future?
Mysterysoul

United States
01/21/2011 08:48 AM
Report Abusive Post
<snip>

Individual States had far more power in the past. Do you think the federal Government will restore some of those powers in the future?
 Quoting: Intentionally Blank

I hardly think any secession by any state would go amicably. so no, I don't think they would be restored without a fight(diplomatic and or otherwise).
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming--WOO HOO what a ride!"
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1238201
United States
01/21/2011 08:51 AM
Report Abusive Post
You can't get 20% of the people to vote, they won't secede.

United Kingdom
01/21/2011 08:54 AM
Report Abusive Post
<snip>

I hardly think any secession by any state would go amicably. so no, I don't think they would be restored without a fight(diplomatic and or otherwise).

So what do you think of States such as Montana, Arizona, Texas... many others... 'opting out' of Federal control over issues such as guns, and 'Obamacare'.... ? Is this a preliminary to secession? Or something else?
Mysterysoul

United States
01/21/2011 09:01 AM
Report Abusive Post
<snip>

So what do you think of States such as Montana, Arizona, Texas... many others... 'opting out' of Federal control over issues such as guns, and 'Obamacare'.... ? Is this a preliminary to secession? Or something else?
 Quoting: Intentionally Blank

I applaud those states actually. I don't feel(mind you what I have been offering is just personal opinion) it's a prelim to secession, but it's certainly a way for those states to put their foot down and say "enough is enough". a somewhat good example of what other states should do.
PatrikC325

User ID: 1166101
United States
01/21/2011 09:03 AM
Report Abusive Post
I think Detroit should
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 987910

Detroit should be sold to the Canadians!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1238210
United States
01/21/2011 09:03 AM
Report Abusive Post
I think New Jersey should secede. They already think they're too cool to identify with the rest of the country.

United Kingdom
01/21/2011 09:05 AM
Report Abusive Post
<snip>

I applaud those states actually. I don't feel(mind you what I have been offering is just personal opinion) it's a prelim to secession, but it's certainly a way for those states to put their foot down and say "enough is enough". a somewhat good example of what other states should do.

My impression is that there are a lot of people that feel the way you do... or is this just media hype?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 996235
United States
01/21/2011 09:08 AM
Report Abusive Post
If the feds continue to ignore the constitution then yes, most definitely, or at least refuse to abide by their despotic regulations.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 996235
United States
01/21/2011 09:09 AM
Report Abusive Post
I think Detroit should

Quoting: PatrikC325

For what? Beer and used hockey pucks?
Halo_9861

User ID: 1126221
United States
01/21/2011 09:09 AM
Report Abusive Post
I had no idea 72 year olds even knew this website existed.
Northforker

User ID: 1198091
United States
01/21/2011 09:13 AM
Report Abusive Post
I think Detroit should

Quoting: PatrikC325

One Canadian toonie is all the African penisula is worth. SHITHOLE!!
Calling an illegal alien an undocumented alien is like calling a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist.

I just realized... they aren't saying, "Keynesian Economics"
they're saying "Kenyansian Economics". Grass Huts for everyone!

Herbert Spencer, originator of the term, "Survival of the Fittest," said it best - "The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools."
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1198441
United States
01/21/2011 09:13 AM
Report Abusive Post
Tennessee should secede...

All States have the right to secede..

We could reform once everyone decided to obey the Constitution and practice real free market capitalism and disband the Plunge Protection Team, Abolish the Federal Reserve, and bring all of our troops home from around the world.
Mysterysoul

United States
01/21/2011 09:15 AM
Report Abusive Post
@ OP Hard to say with any degree of accuracy, a lot of people are not happy in the states as a whole at the moment. so could be a combination of both.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1165715
United States
01/21/2011 09:16 AM
Report Abusive Post
Texas votes, YES!

United Kingdom
01/21/2011 09:16 AM
Report Abusive Post
Anyone reading this from Texas or Montana? What do you think?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 740208
Puerto Rico
01/21/2011 09:18 AM
Report Abusive Post
Only if we (Louisiana) seceded with and became part of the Texas republic.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1047074
United States
01/21/2011 09:19 AM
Report Abusive Post
I had no idea 72 year olds even knew this website existed.
 Quoting: Halo_9861

My mom posts here. She 94.

I'm 8.

United Kingdom
01/21/2011 09:20 AM
Report Abusive Post
Only if we (Louisiana) seceded with and became part of the Texas republic.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 740208

There have always been strong ties between Texas and Louisiana, although Texas has always had far, far more money and power.
thehairywerewolf

User ID: 1238219
United States
01/21/2011 09:20 AM
Report Abusive Post
If states did start to secede, I am sure a lot of southern states would band together like before the civil war.
Storm 2 come

User ID: 1105596
United States
01/21/2011 09:26 AM
Report Abusive Post
[link to statesstand.ning.com] 40 states already are taking the steps. 13 States did in 1861, and are still under Military Occupation. remember a Civil war is 2 parties fighting for control of One Nation, the south voted ,left, had it's own flag,had it's own money, had it's own elected Government. this could get real ugly, real fast.

United Kingdom
01/21/2011 09:28 AM
Report Abusive Post
If states did start to secede, I am sure a lot of southern states would band together like before the civil war.
 Quoting: thehairywerewolf

But maybe not just Southern... what about Montana, Arizona, Utah, Idaho...?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1078715
United States
01/21/2011 09:37 AM
Report Abusive Post
If you read the Constitution most of the power of legislation was supposed to rest with the states. The fed was supposed to provide for the common defense, regulate trade between states and broker treaties. The 10th amendment ensured that ability. Somewhere in the 1900's, state's rights got overturned and people became dependent on the fed for everything.

United Kingdom
01/21/2011 09:39 AM
Report Abusive Post
If you read the Constitution most of the power of legislation was supposed to rest with the states. The fed was supposed to provide for the common defense, regulate trade between states and broker treaties. The 10th amendment ensured that ability. Somewhere in the 1900's, state's rights got overturned and people became dependent on the fed for everything.
 Quoting: Brutalsun

Do you think the people could/should force a reversal of that trend?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1026599
United States
01/21/2011 09:41 AM
Report Abusive Post
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1238108

You would have to go on your states welfare program if your state secceeded.

I am SURE that people in your stage of life would be provided for by any state that chose to go out on its own.

There would be some changes in paperwork, but SS is running on empty right now anyway.

On the odd chance that things went rough for you for a while, you would have to rely on a family member for assistance. Tough on the pride, but as you know, that is how things used to be in your grandparents day.

Hang in there... :-)

GLP