cpu's spike when you open another tab.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 711796
Ireland
02/02/2011 03:52 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: Half of AZ to Have Rolling Blackouts Due to COLD Weather. Not Kidding
Could be using this cold weather period to do some 'shut down' tests in the event of a potential EMP.

Havent been looking at the sun lately - but nasa's cams would show a large ejection to give us potential pre-warning...question is - is the online info 'provided' by Nasa always credible?

Yep, theyre getting itchy feet into cycle 24 and are testing out the grid.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1052269
United States
02/02/2011 03:59 PM
Report Abusive Post
Isn't it weird that AZ and TX are the ones that actively oppose the Federal Government the most? The cold seems like it wouldn't shut down their grid, maybe its just an excuse to cause problems for them. The grid is probably under federal control.
It's hot here  (OP)

User ID: 774404
United States
02/02/2011 04:02 PM
Report Abusive Post
Isn't it weird that AZ and TX are the ones that actively oppose the Federal Government the most? The cold seems like it wouldn't shut down their grid, maybe its just an excuse to cause problems for them. The grid is probably under federal control.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1052269

Meh, doesn't bother me if that's the case...and it's not that we oppose more than others, we seem to be the admins little whipping boy though, with as many law suits they've brought up against us.
It really is!

I never drink water, fish fuck in it.
W.C. Fields

Ignorance and obscurantism have never produced anything other than flocks of slaves for tyranny...
Emiliano Zapata
oniongrass

User ID: 1193082
United States
02/02/2011 04:10 PM
Report Abusive Post
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1052269

Yes this is a surprising coincidence. Or maybe not so surprising.
DON'T VAX, PROPHYLAX!

There is no anger in Me: If one offers Me thorns and thistles, I will march to battle against him, And set all of them on fire.

But if he holds fast to My refuge, He makes Me his friend; He makes Me his friend. (Isaiah 27:4-5)
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1253711
United States
02/02/2011 04:12 PM
Report Abusive Post
CPS in TX - now being referred to as CANT PROVIDE SHIT!
Plautus

User ID: 933740
United States
02/02/2011 04:15 PM
Report Abusive Post
Oh, "give me a break part," The freezing rains ice up the power-lines. they become heavy and snap, then of course no power, and people parish.
not saying this to be mean, just explaining a variable in the equation.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1252080

I guess you've never seen an actual power line, they have them twined around steel cables. Do steel cables snap when they ice up, also? How much ice do you need on a 1/4 inch steel cable to make it snap? Let's say all the ice is in one block in the middle of the span. How heavy does it have to be?
Plautus

United States
02/02/2011 04:16 PM
Report Abusive Post
Poor countries have rolling blackouts. Get used to it.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1252161

I'm not bitching about the cold, I'm calling bs on the excuse.
 Quoting: It's hot here

What do you think the excuses are in other poor countries? They always blame it on "something" other than the fact that the people cant pay the price that the electricity really costs to keep it on 24-7.

Jesus christ stfu. We can afford to pay the bills here, I'm pointing out the fact they're using the cold as the reason. I live 10mins from a dam, there are 3 other hydro-electric dams up from there. The area they're referencing is in the NE quad and it's 2 coal fired plants. I just don't get it.

We're not a 3rd world nation yet AC, we can still afford to pay our bills, for now.

I think you are mistaking the imaginary monetary "price" with the very real resource costs of heating your home.
Plautus

United States
02/02/2011 04:18 PM
Report Abusive Post

We're not a 3rd world nation yet AC, we can still afford to pay our bills, for now.

EEEEENNNNNNNHHHHHH! Wrong answer. We're about 47 days away from 3rd world country. Just a smidge more inflation...

We already have some of the most ineffectual health care (cost to benefit), abysmal teen pregnancy rates (thanks christians) high infant mortality rates (see health care above) low test scores on core subjects like reading, math, science, critical thinking in general (thanks christians and republicans) higher wealth disparity than Egypt for Pete's sake...

Call me when you get a clue.

Not only is our medical industry not effective at providing health, it kills about a million people a year. "Properly" prescribed medications kill more people than wars.
Ricfly52

User ID: 203277
United States
02/02/2011 04:29 PM
Report Abusive Post
Same thing is southern Nevada. It got colder than a festered witches tit last night.
Fishing and skiing keeps me a little sane.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1052218
United States
02/02/2011 05:29 PM
Report Abusive Post
Good thing climate change is just a liberal myth.
Oops, I mean is caused by Pole Shift.
Oops, I mean is caused by HAARP.
Oops, I mean is caused by Nibiru.
Fucking morans.

Remember when conservatards denied that climate change was even happening?
Oh but that's right, some of you are still are lmao
It's hot here  (OP)

United States
02/02/2011 05:40 PM
Report Abusive Post
Good thing climate change is just a liberal myth.
Oops, I mean is caused by Pole Shift.
Oops, I mean is caused by HAARP.
Oops, I mean is caused by Nibiru.
Fucking morans.

Remember when conservatards denied that climate change was even happening?
Oh but that's right, some of you are still are lmao
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1052218

Ok asshat. Don't think too many are denying climate change. Climate changes all the time, winter, spring, summer and fall. I've never said it doesn't get cold here, only pointing out how it's strange having rolling black outs due to cold.

Go join your other lib-tard friends on the algore thread.
It really is!

W.C. Fields

Ignorance and obscurantism have never produced anything other than flocks of slaves for tyranny...
Emiliano Zapata
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1211743
United States
02/02/2011 05:41 PM
Report Abusive Post
imagine when all the hippie freaks get electric cars.....
 Quoting: Captain Fuji the shill slayer

LOL...I just don't get it, I don't buy what they're selling.

or a Particle Collider being powered up...
 Quoting: Daniel of the Rose 995731

Lawrence livermore and the like? Tech uses a lot of juice now.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1253840
United States
02/02/2011 06:16 PM
Report Abusive Post
Power was out here in Mesa, (AZ) for about half an hour this AM then back on no prob the rest of the day. Not freezing here but it is cold. It's supposed to freeze tonight though.
It's hot here  (OP)

United States
02/02/2011 06:32 PM
Report Abusive Post
Power was out here in Mesa, (AZ) for about half an hour this AM then back on no prob the rest of the day. Not freezing here but it is cold. It's supposed to freeze tonight though.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1253840

Yep, in NE Mesa, power on all day, should be interesting to see if it goes out tomorrow am.
It really is!

W.C. Fields

Emiliano Zapata
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1253884
United Kingdom
02/02/2011 06:37 PM
Report Abusive Post
Poor countries have rolling blackouts. Get used to it.

US to be the 1st undeveloped nation of the first world by 2012.

Look it up.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1253884
United Kingdom
02/02/2011 06:38 PM
Report Abusive Post
Firefox browser caused this.

cpu's spike when you open another tab.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1253669

Yeah, it's a pile of poo, isn't it.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1253840
United States
02/02/2011 06:41 PM
Report Abusive Post

Yep, in NE Mesa, power on all day, should be interesting to see if it goes out tomorrow am.

There was one odd thing though, my smoke alarm went off during this time four times and also and after it was restored twice it made weird unusual sounds no the norm alarm sound, for about a half an hour too. It was weird. No low batteries either. It just freaked out!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1214987
United States
02/02/2011 08:57 PM
Report Abusive Post
I'll bet they are selling power to other regions at a premium price and leaving their own people in rolling blackouts.
 Quoting: Had Enough

They built a new huge power line into my area.

The STUPID FUCKS here believed the power company when they said that it was to "provide extra power". Nobody could understand that the power could go *either* way in the lines - no matter how many times you tried to explain it.

What it really did was to allow them to ship the local power out and tripple our rates.
Anonymous Coward
United States
02/02/2011 09:02 PM
Report Abusive Post

There was one odd thing though, my smoke alarm went off during this time four times and also and after it was restored twice it made weird unusual sounds no the norm alarm sound, for about a half an hour too. It was weird. No low batteries either. It just freaked out!

Probably just a passing radiation cloud. Don't worry about it.
It's hot here  (OP)

United States
02/02/2011 09:32 PM
Report Abusive Post
I'll bet they are selling power to other regions at a premium price and leaving their own people in rolling blackouts.

The STUPID FUCKS here believed the power company when they said that it was to "provide extra power". Nobody could understand that the power could go *either* way in the lines - no matter how many times you tried to explain it.

What it really did was to allow them to ship the local power out and tripple our rates.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1214987

Where do you live?
It really is!

W.C. Fields

Emiliano Zapata
CO SKY WATCHER

User ID: 786576
United States
02/02/2011 09:44 PM

Report Abusive Post
I was under the impression that most places in the states use natural gas or heating oil for their heat.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1227257

Not all, west coast and sw use electric or gas fired heat.

It is possible it snowed up north but it does all the time, that's the issue I'm trying to make. Wonder if SRP is selling to other colder states at a higher rate. Also it's not all that cold here in Mesa so no chance of dying, it's now 35.

Ok. Yeah I said gas. But I didn't know they used electric. I imagine electricity is used only where they have hydro-power plants because natural gas or heating oil is cheaper.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1227257

We've got hydro all over the state, APS the other power company has the largest nuclear plant in the US. The funny thing is, the coal fired plants they're referencing are either in the 4 corners area or on the NM border. So I'm going with they're selling power to colder states at a higher rate.

I thought heating oil was much more expensive. I have a friend that lived in PA, his heating bills were about 800 or so/mo.

Utilities are probably sending/selling and using their power capacity to the max like where I am in the CO mtns, we had a true temp overnight here in the -38F range, then it warmed up to a balmy -5F during the daytime with the sun out...
“Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything.”

― Joseph Stalin
Anonymous Coward
United States
02/02/2011 09:45 PM
Report Abusive Post

Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1214987

Where do you live?

Western VA.
a.sanchez
User ID: 1254076
United States
02/02/2011 09:50 PM
Report Abusive Post
I live in El Paso, Tx and currently we have no gas (no heater)and the electricity came back on 5 hrs ago. According to the news gas pipes have frozen or have little pressue. Power generators were frozen. The local news is reporting to expect these rolling blackout throughout the evening and night. Everything has been cancelled tomorrow to save energy and prevent the whole grid from shutting. Nothing like this has ever happened here. The biggest piece of clothing to combat the cold I have is a dinky ass windbreaker never needed nothing more.
a.sanchez
United States
02/02/2011 09:56 PM
Report Abusive Post
Forgot to add that tonight may one of the coldest nights ever in El Paso. It is expected to reach 0. Chill index below 0. It will be a long night with no heat. Plz dont let the fu cking power go out too.
It's hot here  (OP)

United States
02/02/2011 09:57 PM
Report Abusive Post
I live in El Paso, Tx and currently we have no gas (no heater)and the electricity came back on 5 hrs ago. According to the news gas pipes have frozen or have little pressue. Power generators were frozen. The local news is reporting to expect these rolling blackout throughout the evening and night. Everything has been cancelled tomorrow to save energy and prevent the whole grid from shutting. Nothing like this has ever happened here. The biggest piece of clothing to combat the cold I have is a dinky ass windbreaker never needed nothing more.
 Quoting: a.sanchez 1254076

Wait, a pressurized gas line has frozen? I call bs on that, if it's a lack of pressure it may freeze but got to say, sounds like something broke.

It's 37 here right now, 8pm, they're threatening rolling blackouts again in the am. Not concerned but I still want to know what they're selling the power for on the exchange.
It really is!

W.C. Fields

Emiliano Zapata
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1129509
United States
02/02/2011 09:58 PM
Report Abusive Post
imagine when all the hippie freaks get electric cars.....
 Quoting: Captain Fuji the shill slayer

Those electric cars will never gain majority.
Anonymous Coward
United States
02/02/2011 10:23 PM
Report Abusive Post

Wait, a pressurized gas line has frozen? I call bs on that, if it's a lack of pressure it may freeze but got to say, sounds like something broke.

It's 37 here right now, 8pm, they're threatening rolling blackouts again in the am. Not concerned but I still want to know what they're selling the power for on the exchange.

it is 8 degrees right at 824 pm. its going to be a long night.

official responseTexas Gas Service
Texas Gas Service is experiencing natural gas outages in certain neighborhoods due to low pressure in pipes associated with the weather events. Neighborhoods currently affected by the natural gas outages are located within the Coronado area, as well as, the Lower Valley and East Side. When the gas comes back on residents must ensure that the pilot lights are relight to prevent accumulation of natural gas. Residents should also check the pilot lights on the stoves, heaters, water heaters and any other natural gas appliance. If residents smell natural gas in the home they should not turn on any electrical switches or appliances. Residents should leave the home immediately and call 911.
[link to www.kfoxtv.com]

Officials don't expect gas service to be available throughout the night. [link to www.kfoxtv.com]
It's hot here  (OP)

United States
02/02/2011 10:26 PM
Report Abusive Post
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1254076

it is 8 degrees right at 824 pm. its going to be a long night.

official responseTexas Gas Service
Texas Gas Service is experiencing natural gas outages in certain neighborhoods due to low pressure in pipes associated with the weather events. Neighborhoods currently affected by the natural gas outages are located within the Coronado area, as well as, the Lower Valley and East Side. When the gas comes back on residents must ensure that the pilot lights are relight to prevent accumulation of natural gas. Residents should also check the pilot lights on the stoves, heaters, water heaters and any other natural gas appliance. If residents smell natural gas in the home they should not turn on any electrical switches or appliances. Residents should leave the home immediately and call 911.
[link to www.kfoxtv.com]

Officials don't expect gas service to be available throughout the night. [link to www.kfoxtv.com]

I know you can freeze NG, it's called LNG but if there was pressure in the lines it wouldn't freeze. Sounds to me like something broke but they're not telling anyone. Otherwise, really cold parts of the world would never have heat.
It really is!

W.C. Fields

Emiliano Zapata
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 642285
United States
02/02/2011 10:38 PM
Report Abusive Post
I'm out in FAR NE Scottsdale - nearly to Bartlett Damn (it's about 2.4 miles north of us) in the Rio Verde area. Our lows last night were in the mid-twenties. Tonight they're expecting lows down to high teens. We even had a pretty good shot at snow last night, but didn't get enough to matter.

We have 3 Heat Pumps that, thank heaven, have emergency heating coils in their compressors and in their Air Handlers. When the compressors become inefficient at about 40 degrees and lower, the electric coils kick on and give the compressors a "boost" of heat to transfer into the house. However, although this works, the process is slow and the compressors and the coils must remain on for three times longer than they would normally run. The coils in the compressor also act to keep the compressors from icing up and stoping all together.

If one of the compressors should fail, we also have 50 AMP coils in the air handlers in the attic. If a compressor were to fail, we can turn off the outside compressor unit (or it shuts off automatically) and turn on those big coils in the air handlers. Those coils turned on by setting the T-Stats to "emergency heat" and the fan set to "on" vs to "auto" gives us an instant big electric furnace.

So yes, most of us are running between five and fifteen tons of AC most of the night to stay warm. To make it worse, our house has lots of 12' ceilings in most rooms. The entry hall is 18' tall. And the floors are mostly travertine marble over slab. (Colder than a well-diggers' ass most of the time!) Those things are helpful in summer in terms of keeping the house cooler. But now, they're combining to make it impossible to get the house above 70 degrees during the night. While not cold, it's not comfortable or "cozy" either.

SRP is turning the power off in our area. We got shut down for about 30 minutes this AM and expect more this evening when it's forecast to get seriously cold tonight.

We have two gas fired fireplaces with logs in them. They run on Propane (no natural gas out here) and use about 1 gal on propane per hour for both units running. But at least if I should need to, I can take off the glass screen and put a kettle or a sauce pan directly on the ceramic logs and the flame underneath them.

GLP