Anonymous Coward
User ID: 30558272
Sweden
01/14/2013 12:23 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: *** Fukushima *** and other nuclear-----updates and links
Canada's Uranium One to go private in $1.3 billion deal

Russian state-controlled miner JSC Atomredmetzoloto has agreed to raise its stake in Uranium One Inc (Toronto:UUU.TO - News) to 100 percent in a deal that values the Canadian miner at C$2.74 billion ($2.8 billion).

Atomredmetzoloto, or ARMZ, already owns 51.4 percent of Uranium One. It will pay C$1.3 billion, or C$2.86 per share, for the rest of the company before delisting it from the Toronto Stock Exchange, both companies said on Monday.

ARMZ's offer is at a 19 percent premium to the stock's Friday close. Uranium One's shares have fallen to C$2.41 from a peak of C$18.65 in March 2007, when spot uranium was trading at more than triple current prices.

The acquisition will give ARMZ full control of Uranium One's assets in Kazakhstan, the United States and Australia. The Toronto-based company has almost tripled production since 2009.
[link to www.nucpros.com]
Anonymous Coward
Sweden
01/14/2013 12:24 PM
Report Abusive Post
US and Russian Geopolitical Battle will Decide Fate of Czech Nuclear Power Plant

The upgrade of Temelin, a nuclear power station, has become the backdrop of a power struggle between the Unites States and Russia. Worryingly, a discussion on Czech energy policy is being silenced by the competition of foreign strategic interests.

As Germany and other European states turn away from nuclear power, the Czech Republic is looking to select the winner of the largest nuclear tender in its history. The deal worth around 250 – 300 billion Czech crowns (i.e. 15 billion dollars) concerns the upgrade of the Temelin power station. The upgrade project, however, offers more than just questions of economic interests and energy – the bid stands in the middle of a subtle geopolitical struggle between the United States and Russia.
[link to oilprice.com]
Waterbug  (OP)

User ID: 1295673
United States
01/14/2013 04:57 PM
Report Abusive Post
Life is a gift..
May the Almighty have mercy on us for what we have done.
 Quoting: Waterbug

yeh, i feel like praying all the time -but not religious.
[link to hosted.ap.org]

all free radicals cause cell damage/disfunction. i can understand the mess created externally is due to the mess we created internally, -so hold no judgement. the blind are leading the blind

Natures immortal, -its all coming back (paradise) if we choose to do anything or not... this is a glitch -eventually we will all return too, as things evolve/return to a state of greatness by Natures glory -as thats built into the fabric of space/matter/creation. -that thought keeps me sane.

Jahlove friends, rp
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 32173864

^^

I'm not religious in the traditional sense...
raised Baptist/Pentecostal.
Never really could resolve the hypocrisies..
Always torn between philosophies and intellectual ideals.

I do prefer to believe in a reason for existence,
rather than randomness and oblivion.
If there is a reason... then, there must be a plan.
If there is a plan... there must be a reason.
If that is God... and He is good... that's the side I'm on..

I had lost the desire to continue posting and arguing Fuku details.
I was going to leave..
Fishy bought me in, so I will stay.
Thanks a lot, Fishy.. just kidding.
My posting, however, may be sporadic.

I've turned the corner..so to speak...
for many reasons, including what you have posted.
Tepco screwed up, I was outraged.. went down the rabbit hole.. saw too much.
Can't unsee it.

Made some great friends, 'tho..

hf
Waterbug  (OP)

United States
01/14/2013 09:34 PM
Report Abusive Post
Like they would ever say it is unsafe and unstable..

Regulators inspect Pa. nuke plant after shutdowns
[link to www.google.com]

[snip]

Federal regulators began examining a nuclear plant in northeastern Pennsylvania on Monday following three unexpected shutdowns, but the facility's operator said it is safe and stable.

The move comes after three unplanned reactor shutdowns between Nov. 9 and Dec. 19. None of the incidents posed a safety threat, said Joe Scopelliti, a spokesman for Allentown-based PPL Corp., which operates Susquehanna.
Waterbug  (OP)

United States
01/14/2013 09:38 PM
Report Abusive Post
Groups To Warn Industry Is Pressuring NRC To "Flout" Court Order On Environmental Impact Of Nuclear Reactor Waste
[link to www.prnewswire.com]

[snip]

Rebuttal to Nuclear Energy Institute Filing Comes One Day Before Monthly NRC Public Meeting on Waste Issues; NEI Seen Undercutting Needed Research on Reactor Pool Fires, Other Issues.

One day before the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) holds its monthly waste confidence rule public conference call, national and grassroots environmental groups from across the U.S. will file a rebuttal of claims made by the Nuclear Energy Institute (NEI), which has suggested incorrectly that the NRC can largely dispense with additional research needed for a court-ordered environmental impact statement (EIS) on long-term nuclear waste-storage issues.
Waterbug  (OP)

United States
01/14/2013 09:44 PM
Report Abusive Post
Study: 88% of cesium in radioactive ash might be at risk of being transported away from Japan landfills by wind and rain
[link to enenews.com]

Radioactive Nuclides in the Incinerator Ashes of Municipal Solid Wastes before and after the Accident at the Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant

Source: ANALYTICAL SCIENCES, VOL. 29
Date: JANUARY 10, 2013
Waterbug  (OP)

United States
01/14/2013 09:47 PM
Report Abusive Post
Newly Fukushima Footage from 3/11: I can no longer force my employees to continue… many received ‘high doses’ of radiation -Plant Chief
[link to enenews.com]
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 31837896
Japan
01/15/2013 01:34 AM
Report Abusive Post
Newly Fukushima Footage from 3/11: I can no longer force my employees to continue… many received ‘high doses’ of radiation -Plant Chief
[link to enenews.com]

Worker shortages revealed at nuclear plant after disaster
On the morning of March 16, 2011, five days after the start of the crisis, the plant reported to headquarters that it had 177 TEPCO employees and four workers on staff from TEPCO partner companies.
---
In the early morning of March 17, Yoshida asked the headquarters to realize there was a limited number of workers at the plant to carry out operations to bring the nuclear crisis under control.

The next morning, his patience finally ran out. "I can no longer force my employees to continue working," Yoshida declared, saying many of them had received high doses of radiation.

[link to www.yomiuri.co.jp]
Anonymous Coward
Japan
01/15/2013 01:49 AM
Report Abusive Post
Study: 88% of cesium in radioactive ash might be at risk of being transported away from Japan landfills by wind and rain
[link to enenews.com]

Radioactive Nuclides in the Incinerator Ashes of Municipal Solid Wastes before and after the Accident at the Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant

Source: ANALYTICAL SCIENCES, VOL. 29
Date: JANUARY 10, 2013

Radioactive Nuclides in the Incinerator Ashes of Municipal Solid Wastes before and after the Accident at the Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant.

Radioactive nuclides in the incinerator ashes of municipal solid wastes were determined by γ-ray spectrometry before and after the accident at the Fukushima nuclear power plant (March 11, 2011).

Incinerator ash samples were collected in northern Kyushu, Japan, which is located approximately 1200 km west-southwest (WSW) of the Fukushima nuclear power plant, from April 2006 to March 2007 and from March 2011 to October 2011. (40)K, (137)Cs, (208)Tl, (212)Pb, (214)Pb, (212)Bi, (214)Bi, and (228)Ac were identified in the ashes before the accident (∼February 2011) and (134)Cs was identified along with these eight nuclides in the ashes after the accident (March 2011).

A sequential extraction procedure based on a modified Tessier method with added water extraction was used for 1st fly ash sampled in August 2011 because the highest activity concentrations of (134)Cs and (137)Cs were observed for this sample.

The speciation of radioactive nuclides in the fly ash was achieved by y-ray spectrometry and powder X-ray diffractometry for the extraction residues. Little variation was observed in the distribution of the chemical forms of (134)Cs and (137)Cs in 1st fly ash of municipal solid waste; one half of (134)Cs existed as water soluble salts and the other half as carbonate compounds, whereas 75% of (137)Cs existed as water soluble salts with the remainder as carbonates(10%) and sulfides (15%).

These results show that 88% of the total radioactive Cs existed in water soluble and ion extractive forms and might be at risk for elution and diffusion with rain and wind.

Source: [link to www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

Since 03/11 this Ash from the Fukushima Region,
as well as the Plants who burn Tsunami Debris, get collected
and stored in this beautiful Blue Bags, some get buried
but some are still above because No-One want to get
them into their Neighbourhood.

Japan as a Society need to find a new behaviour
because we are all inn and we should share the Problems,
it is wrong to be against this Depots
(which are not final Depots)
but accept in the same moment that this Blue Bags are above the Ground!
Citizenperth

User ID: 313852
Australia
01/15/2013 01:55 AM
Report Abusive Post
[link to fukushimaemergencywhatcanwedo.blogspot.com.au]

Ok, no English translation needed here....

It's life as we know it, but only just.
[link to citizenperth.wordpress.com]
sic ut vos es vos should exsisto , denego alius vicis facio vos change , exsisto youself , proprie
Anonymous Coward
Japan
01/15/2013 02:34 AM
Report Abusive Post

Quoting: Citizenperth

You see how unfair, asocial and inhuman it is
to be against a Storage under the Earth?

This Stuff need to be stored in a more protected Place,
in a Concrete Casket and a Cover of at least 200Cm Soil,
incl. protective Layers of Plastic!

As a alternative we could it bring to Australia and they can store it in their Uranium Mines/ Tailings!

[link to www.google.co.jp (secure)]
Citizenperth

User ID: 32251977
Australia
01/15/2013 02:55 AM
Report Abusive Post

Quoting: Citizenperth

You see how unfair, asocial and inhuman it is
to be against a Storage under the Earth?

This Stuff need to be stored in a more protected Place,
in a Concrete Casket and a Cover of at least 200Cm Soil,
incl. protective Layers of Plastic!

As a alternative we could it bring to Australia and they can store it in their Uranium Mines/ Tailings!

[link to www.google.co.jp (secure)]
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 31837896

they actually considered that
sic ut vos es vos should exsisto , denego alius vicis facio vos change , exsisto youself , proprie
Citizenperth

User ID: 32253509
Australia
01/15/2013 03:40 AM
Report Abusive Post

poster of radiation exposure as interpreted....
Anonymous Coward
Sweden
01/15/2013 10:56 AM
Report Abusive Post
Japan to continue exporting nuclear infrastructure

Economy, Trade and Industry Minister Toshimitsu Motegi says Japan will continue exporting nuclear energy infrastructure, after ensuring that it's safe.

Japan has been promoting sales of nuclear power generation facilities even after the nuclear disaster in Fukushima. The previous administration led by the Democratic Party signed pacts with countries such as Vietnam and Jordan in 2011 to allow the export of nuclear technology.

In a news conference on Tuesday, Motegi said Japan has accumulated technology and human resources related to nuclear energy. He said the new government would like the chance to put these to peaceful use.
[link to www3.nhk.or.jp]
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 32260146
United Kingdom
01/15/2013 10:56 AM
Report Abusive Post

Life is a gift..
May the Almighty have mercy on us for what we have done.

^^

I'm not religious in the traditional sense...
raised Baptist/Pentecostal.
Never really could resolve the hypocrisies..
Always torn between philosophies and intellectual ideals.

I do prefer to believe in a reason for existence,
rather than randomness and oblivion.
If there is a reason... then, there must be a plan.
If there is a plan... there must be a reason.
If that is God... and He is good... that's the side I'm on..

I had lost the desire to continue posting and arguing Fuku details.
I was going to leave..
Fishy bought me in, so I will stay.
Thanks a lot, Fishy.. just kidding.
My posting, however, may be sporadic.

I've turned the corner..so to speak...
for many reasons, including what you have posted.
Tepco screwed up, I was outraged.. went down the rabbit hole.. saw too much.
Can't unsee it.

Made some great friends, 'tho..

hf
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 32173864

-aint a bad philosophy man. i see everything as energetics, seems to explain what i see so far. -dont explain why its like this or who/how it got here tho! -werent me! -as you say -what a gift, pity humanity cant respect that we been given, and that sustains/homes us.
Nature/the Living God -its awesome.

ref. fuku; yeh i can understand dispondant feelings
-after end may '11 (when clear in meltdown) info went stealth. i gave up research by august when i realised their intention and relied more on others work, like here.
-seems like ppl dont want to look at what cd be demise. -the elephant in the room like. all caught up in self desires of babylon... imagination -sucks
yet glad this thread/knowledge is still here.
...and cant see you stopping wanting to know, and sharing it man. cant see any of us here not.
this, and the original thread is a Righteous response, always have my respect for that.
-everyone. now and past. yeh real ppl
so catch ya later dude cool2
rawpaul hf
Anonymous Coward
Sweden
01/15/2013 10:57 AM
Report Abusive Post
Nuclear fears contaminate sales for Tohoku farmers

TOKYO — Mayumi Kurasawa’s seaweed company saw seven of its factories swept away by the March 11, 2011 tsunami. Nearly two years later, sales continue to be eroded by consumer fears over nuclear contamination.

“Our seaweed is checked every day, and I guarantee you that it’s safe,” she told AFP during a recent visit to Tokyo to promote the company she works for, Kawashu. “But we are selling two-thirds less than before Fukushima.”

Like many farmers in the Tohoku region in northeast Japan, Kurasawa is struggling to sell her produce to a wary population that remains unconvinced by reassurances of food safety.
[link to www.japantoday.com]
Anonymous Coward
Sweden
Report Abusive Post
Malaysia's nuclear power plant project faces delay

The project manager of Malaysia's first nuclear power plant said Tuesday that it will not be built by the targeted date of 2021 due to public concern about nuclear energy.

"In my personal opinion, it may be later than 2021," Mohamad Zamzam Jaafar, chief executive officer of Malaysia Nuclear Power Corp., said of the timeline to build the power plant.
[link to english.kyodonews.jp]
Anonymous Coward
Sweden
Report Abusive Post
Obama urged to discourage Japan from reprocessing spent nuclear fuel

The U.S. Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists published an open letter Monday urging U.S. President Barack Obama to discourage Japan from reprocessing spent nuclear fuel.

While Japan Nuclear Fuel Ltd. plans to launch a nuclear fuel reprocessing plant in Rokkasho village, northern Japan, in October, some U.S. officials are concerned about the reprocessing that produces plutonium that can be used for nuclear weapons.
Anonymous Coward
Sweden
01/15/2013 11:08 AM
Report Abusive Post
PPL plant inspected after reactor shutdown

The U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission began a special inspection Monday at the nuclear-powered PPL Susquehanna plant near Berwick for the first time since 2004, an agency spokeswoman said.

A three-member NRC team will evaluate the circumstances surrounding an unplanned shutdown of Unit 2 reactor on Dec. 19, which occurred as the unit was being returned to service following an automatic shutdown on Dec. 16.
[link to citizensvoice.com]
Anonymous Coward
Sweden
01/15/2013 11:08 AM
Report Abusive Post
Reactor vessel awaits second try to get to Plant Vogtle

Federal regulators say a failed effort to move a 300-ton reactor vessel from Savan­nah, Ga., to Plant Vogtle was a minor incident spawned by a simple safety concern that will not affect the component’s delivery to the site.

“It was fully contained in shrink wrap and there was no damage, not even to the shrink wrap itself,” said Joey Ledf­ord, a spokesman for the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission.
[link to chronicle.augusta.com]
Anonymous Coward
Sweden
01/15/2013 11:09 AM
Report Abusive Post
San Onofre restart decision may come in March

A decision on whether to allow the restart of a shuttered reactor at the San Onofre nuclear plant could come in March, federal regulators said Monday after a visit to the plant.
A Nuclear Regulatory Commission administrator, part of a group that included NRC Chairwoman Allison Macfarlane, said he and other officials are awaiting responses from plant operator Southern California Edison to questions as they consider Edison's restart proposal.
[link to www.ocregister.com]

News video at link.
Anonymous Coward
Japan
01/16/2013 04:24 AM
Report Abusive Post
Evacuation

A new study by researchers at Fukushima Medical University shows that elderly residents living in nursing homes in Fukushima Prefecture died at a rate nearly two and half times higher in in 2011 following the Fukushima nuclear disaster than they did the previous year.

The group studied records from 34 nursing homes located within 20 km of the Fukushima plant. During the three months after the crisis began, the rate was three times as high as that during the same period in 2010. The researchers believe that the deaths were a result of the stress of evacuating long distances, as well as substandard care received at temporary evacuation facilities.

In addition, the study revealed that most of the nursing homes are not prepared to protect residents in case of a nuclear disaster. Seiji Yasumura, a professor at Fukushima Medical University who worked on the study, noted,

“The latest study revealed the surveyed facilities lacked concrete evacuation plans and procedures, and furthermore had not conducted evacuation drills.

Hospitals are better prepared for disasters than institutions for the elderly. The central and local governments need to address this.”

[link to www.waste-management-world.com]
Anonymous Coward
Japan
01/16/2013 04:28 AM
Report Abusive Post
Fukushima Daiichi 4 frame takes shape
Work began on the six columns and seven beams comprising the first layer of the frame on 8 January. The cover is the second to be built over the damaged reactors at the site: a cover was completed over unit 1 in 2011. A third cover is planned for Fukushima 3. The three covers are all different in function and appearance, reflecting the different conditions at each unit.

Its full core load of fuel, plus used fuel from previous operation, was being stored in a pool at the top of the reactor building. Although this meant there was no possibility of a reactor accident at unit 4, there was a possible risk of the pool overheating. The safety of the pool was then reduced by major structural damage to the building after the ignition of hydrogen that leaked through ventilation systems shared with unit 3.

[link to www.world-nuclear-news.org]
Citizenperth

User ID: 32253509
Australia
01/16/2013 08:06 AM
Report Abusive Post

Wednesday, 16 January 2013
<snip>
Two years ago, some thought that the nuclear energy had been leveled. But the industry today is picking up steam by getting construction licenses to build four new units and by getting government funding to develop smaller nuclear reactors that are less expensive and which may be less problematic when it comes to winning regulatory approval.
The creators of those roughly 100-megawatt electric modules want to sell their products first in this country before they would market them overseas to lesser-developed nations that don’t have a huge transmission infrastructure. They would be factory-built before being shipped and fueled to where the energy is needed. To the extent that more electric generation is required, no problem: Just lay the small-scale modules next to each other, making the financial outlays more manageable.

<end snip>

i hate colors to make a point.. just saying...

Last Edited by CitizenPerth™ on 01/16/2013 08:10 AM
Anonymous Coward
Sweden
01/16/2013 11:31 AM
Report Abusive Post
Disposal workers to undergo radiation checks

Japan's health ministry wants workers at disposal sites for contaminated waste to have radiation checks to protect them from excessive exposure.

A ministry panel decided on Tuesday to revise the regulations for people handling radioactive materials.

The current rules only cover workers at the damaged Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant and those removing soil and other materials tainted with radioactive fallout from the plant.
[link to www3.nhk.or.jp]
Anonymous Coward
Sweden
01/16/2013 11:32 AM
Report Abusive Post
Poll: 43% want "zero nuclear power" policy review

An NHK opinion poll shows more than 40 percent of respondents support Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's plan to review the former government's policy of ending nuclear power by the 2030s.

NHK conducted the telephone survey over the weekend. About 1,140 people responded.

Asked about what should be the government's top priority, 38 percent said economic measures.

18 percent said reconstruction from the March 2011 earthquake and tsunami; 15 percent cited social security reforms; and 10 percent chose energy policy including nuclear power.

43 percent of respondents said they support Abe's plan to review the policy of zero reliance on nuclear power set by the previous government. 21 percent were against it, while 30 percent were undecided.
[link to www3.nhk.or.jp]
Anonymous Coward
Sweden
01/16/2013 11:32 AM
Report Abusive Post
Experts remain divided over whether Oi plant sits above active fault

Experts appointed by the Nuclear Regulation Authority remained divided Wednesday over whether an active fault runs under an atomic power plant in western Japan, in a sign that discussions on the matter could be prolonged.

If the five-member panel concludes there is an active fault that could undermine the safety of the Oi plant in Fukui Prefecture, the NRA is likely to ask operator Kansai Electric Power Co. to suspend the Nos. 3 and 4 units at the plant, which are the only operating reactors in the country.
Anonymous Coward
Sweden
01/16/2013 11:33 AM
Report Abusive Post

Japan gov't hopes to accelerate work to scrap Fukushima reactors

Industry minister Toshimitsu Motegi told employees at Tokyo Electric Power Co.'s new headquarters in Fukushima Prefecture on Wednesday that the government hopes to accelerate the process of scrapping the crippled reactors at the utility's Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant.

"I hope to move up (the schedule) as much as possible," the economy, trade and industry minister said, while adding he has ordered ministry staff to review the road map crafted by the government and TEPCO toward decommissioning.
Anonymous Coward
Sweden
01/16/2013 11:42 AM
Report Abusive Post
Vogtle AP100 reactor pressure vessel found seemingly abandoned in Savannah Port

Last week, a special railroad car carrying a 300-ton reactor vessel for the Vogtle reactor construction project experienced problems and dumped the massive pressure vessel on the ground.  Now, an attempt to move the pressure vessel by rail was aborted after the shipment traveled less than a mile before returning to be stored at the Port of Savannah.
[link to enformable.com]
Anonymous Coward
Sweden
01/16/2013 11:43 AM
Report Abusive Post
Workers complete first stage of steel cover for Fukushima Daiichi Unit 4

For the better part of the last 6 months, workers have been preparing Fukushima Daiichi Unit 4 for the extraction of the spent fuel from the spent fuel pool of the destroyed reactor building.  They have removed the debris  from atop the reactor building, and worked on preparing the structure to be covered by a steel cover in order to remove the spent fuel assemblies from the pool.
[link to enformable.com]

Pictures at link

GLP