*** Fukushima *** and other nuclear-----updates and links

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1422475
United States
06/23/2011 10:14 AM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: *** Fukushima *** and other nuclear-----updates and links
The Yucca Mountain site in Nevada is not an option for storing toxic waste from nuclear power plants, said Deputy Energy Secretary Daniel Poneman on the sidelines of an international meeting to strengthen global nuclear safety after Japan's Fukushima atomic crisis.

[link to www.powergenworldwide.com]
 Quoting: Waterbug

Back in the 1970s and 1980s, the issue of "storing toxic waste" was seen as the main barrier to nuclear power development. Trucking it to distant mountains? No, the people on the train lines didn't want it going through their towns and the states with the mountains didn't want it on their lands. Stalemate...

Then I went to sleep for 20 years and have now awakened to see that they solved that problem nicely: Now they just store it on-site!
Waterbug  (OP)

User ID: 1295673
United States
06/23/2011 10:19 AM
Report Abusive Post
Iran Continues to Defy UN Nuclear Sanctions
[link to www.newsmax.com]

Iran continues to procure large quantities of sophisticated materials for its nuclear and missile programs from China, despite U.N. sanctions.

A new report on sanctions violations by a U.N. panel reveals that China attempted to ship a large quantity of aluminum powder used in solid rocket fuel propellant to Iran last September that was intercepted by Customs authorities in Singapore.

The report, by the panel of experts established pursuant to U.N. Security Council Resolution 1929, has been blocked from public release by a U.N. Security Council member, but Newsmax has obtained a leaked copy.

The IAEA believes Iran has installed around 8,000 centrifuges at its declared enrichment plant at Natanz and built around 2,000 more, most of which were destroyed during manufacturing.

It would need an additional 3,000 centrifuges to equip the new Fordo enrichment plant, built into the side of a mountain near Qom, that it was forced to reveal two years ago after the United States and France discovered its existence.Iran recently announced that it has been building large quantities of centrifuge parts at Taba, a previously unknown production plant north of Tehran near Karaj.

-this illuminates the reason for the attitude towards regulation-
Waterbug  (OP)

United States
06/23/2011 10:22 AM
Report Abusive Post
IAEA session highlights need for reactor stress tests
Kyodo
VIENNA — Experts and regulators attending a ministerial working session of the U.N. nuclear agency said Tuesday all countries with nuclear power plants should conduct reactor safety assessments in light of the Fukushima crisis, according to a Japanese official.

The outcome of the session is expected to be reflected in talks on strengthening the International Atomic Energy Agency's standards for nuclear plant safety.

"Various participants approved the idea of conducting stress tests (on nuclear reactors)," the official said during a briefing about the closed-door session.

[link to search.japantimes.co.jp]

-well it might be a good idea to get these stress tests started..
Waterbug  (OP)

United States
06/23/2011 10:25 AM
Report Abusive Post
The Yucca Mountain site in Nevada is not an option for storing toxic waste from nuclear power plants, said Deputy Energy Secretary Daniel Poneman on the sidelines of an international meeting to strengthen global nuclear safety after Japan's Fukushima atomic crisis.

[link to www.powergenworldwide.com]

Back in the 1970s and 1980s, the issue of "storing toxic waste" was seen as the main barrier to nuclear power development. Trucking it to distant mountains? No, the people on the train lines didn't want it going through their towns and the states with the mountains didn't want it on their lands. Stalemate...

Then I went to sleep for 20 years and have now awakened to see that they solved that problem nicely: Now they just store it on-site!
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1422475

No problem for them. Big problem for us.
The waste storage and disposal problem is, so far, unresolved...and the waste keeps building up day after day.
This must be addressed immediately.
Waterbug  (OP)

United States
06/23/2011 10:47 AM
Report Abusive Post
Outside the areas subject to evacuation, an area in the city of Minamisoma had an estimated cumulative level of 20.4 millisieverts a year since the start of the crisis.

-This is unconscionable.
Southern OR

User ID: 1167877
United States
06/23/2011 09:48 PM

Report Abusive Post
Large Ground Fissure Found Near Unit 1 Fukushima Daiichi
Posted on June 23, 2011 by admin

SimplyInfo.org researcher Elaine Kirk found this image that was posted on the TEPCO website on June 14th of Unit #1 at Fukushima Daiichi. It shows a very large and deep fissure that runs right up to the reactor building. It is unclear what date the image was actually taken on. The odd quality of the image is due to it being some sort of laser survey of the power plant.
[link to houseoffoust.com]

Pic is at link
"Well-behaved women seldom make history." —Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~Edward Everett Hale
Waterbug  (OP)

United States
06/23/2011 10:18 PM
Report Abusive Post

SimplyInfo.org researcher Elaine Kirk found this image that was posted on the TEPCO website on June 14th of Unit #1 at Fukushima Daiichi. It shows a very large and deep fissure that runs right up to the reactor building. It is unclear what date the image was actually taken on. The odd quality of the image is due to it being some sort of laser survey of the power plant.

Pic is at link
 Quoting: Southern OR

Interesting. Result of the site being reclaimed? Hmmm.
Southern OR

United States
06/23/2011 10:22 PM

Report Abusive Post

Pic is at link

I'm going to watch and see if anything else comes of this.

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~Edward Everett Hale
Waterbug  (OP)

United States
06/23/2011 10:39 PM
Report Abusive Post
Tepco press release concerning water transfers

On the other hand, the evaluation of radiation dose at the floor level in the case the
water was transferred up to the 1st basement floor level assumed to fall below 1mSv/h,
however, the radiation dose is assumed to be high as more than 100mSv/h in some areas
such as the neighborhood of the aperture
. For this reason, it was planned to ensure the
space to re-transfer when the high level wastewater is transferred beyond the 1st
basement floor level at first. Now, therefore, we will seek the radiation protectionthrough the operation control as we are now modifying the storage water level of the
Process Main Building to reduce the risk of the leakage to the outside of the system and
it is difficult to ensure the space to re-transfer. Specifically, we prohibit the work at the
1st floor when the water was transferred up to the 1st basement floor level in principle.

[link to www.tepco.co.jp]

These are severe problems. It seems almost impossible they will be able to keep some of this from entering the ocean.

400 tons a day. The place is saturated. Water lapping at the ground levels. If they get a stalled system that dumps a bunch of rain for any significant amount of time, this will be a worse situation than ever, if that's possible.

Aarggh!
Southern OR

United States
06/23/2011 11:15 PM

Report Abusive Post
Fund to track Fukushima health
Kyodo

The government plans to establish a ¥103 billion fund to track the health of all Fukushima Prefecture residents for 30 years, because of radiation leaking from the crippled Fukushima No. 1 nuclear plant, government sources said Thursday.

The government plans to allocate ¥78 billion in a second supplementary budget for the current fiscal year and intends to ask plant operator Tokyo Electric Power Co. to contribute ¥25 billion.

The study will manage and monitor the health of the prefecture's residents amid concern about the long-term impact from radiation that continues to leak from the plant more than three months after the crisis started.

Around 2 million people, including those who have evacuated to areas outside the prefecture since the March 11 earthquake and tsunami crippled the nuclear plant, would be covered by the study. Under the plan, the study would estimate cumulative radiation levels and blood tests for all those who wish to participate in the tests.

Waterbug  (OP)

United States
06/24/2011 09:23 AM
Report Abusive Post
Nuclear Agency Scientists Blast Bosses Over Yucca Decision .

WASHINGTON -- Technical experts at the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission blasted the agency's top official and senior staff members, saying the agency's leadership had suppressed information about a controversial decision to stop the scientific review of a Nevada waste disposal site.

Apparently, the NRC's senior leadership is ineffective in upholding the integrity of this agency," wrote Aby Mohseni, acting director of the agency's Division of High-Level Waste Repository Safety, in prepared testimony. "Politics are influencing some of the NRC's staff's work."

A spokesman for the NRC declined to comment.

Mr. Mohseni wrote that the scientists were directed by "some senior NRC managers" not to make any recommendations to the commission, which votes on policy matters, but rather to simply report the status of their work, "leaving the burden of discovery on individual commissioners." The managers, he wrote, "directed the staff to suppress information."

Another of the scientists, Janet Kotra, said in her testimony that Mr. Jaczko had "explicitly" directed staff to terminate their safety review, "yet on multiple occasions I was prohibited from including in the status report any declarative statement to that effect."
Managers insisted on changes that would make the report "grossly misleading," Ms. Kotra wrote.

[link to online.wsj.com]

- politics should not have any bearing on nuclear safety. It's pretty plain that it does.
Waterbug  (OP)

United States
06/24/2011 09:27 AM
Report Abusive Post
The US has imposed economic sanctions on Iran's national airline, saying Iran Air had supported the Iranian military.

In a statement, the treasury department also said the airline had provided "material support and services" to the Iranian Revolutionary Guard.

It said the paramilitary group supported terrorism and committed human rights abuses against protesters.

The US accuses Iran of aiming to develop nuclear weapons. Tehran says its programme is wholly peaceful.

"Preventing Iran from developing nuclear weapons is a top US government priority and we remain deeply concerned about Iran's nuclear intentions," US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner said in a joint statement.

[link to www.bbc.co.uk]

- this situation can do nothing but deteriorate.
Waterbug  (OP)

United States
06/24/2011 09:35 AM
Report Abusive Post
Rumors swirl around state nuclear plants
And inaccurate information and rumors floating on the Internet are fueling the fear

One of Nebraska's two nuclear power plants - Fort Calhoun Station north of Omaha - is surrounded by the Missouri River.
The Fort Calhoun plant is about 75 miles east of Columbus.

The other - Cooper Nuclear Station near Brownville - is close to shutting down because the Missouri River is rising to critical levels and pushing water over levees.

The plant temporarily lost power to a pump that cools the spent-fuel pool, but power was switched to a backup pump, said OPPD, which runs Fort Calhoun. During the 90-minute interruption, the temperature of the pool increased a few degrees, but the pool was not in danger of boiling, the utility said.

The reactor and spent-fuel pool are in a normal, stable condition and are protected from flooding, OPPD said. The plant was shut down for refueling in April and will remain shut down until floodwaters recede.

"Both plants are taking appropriate action to protect vital equipment," Dricks said of Fort Calhoun and Cooper, which is operated by the Nebraska Public Power District.

David Lochbaum, director of the nuclear safety project for the Union of Concerned Scientists, said both plants have had time to prepare for Missouri River flooding. Headquartered in Cambridge, Mass., the group generally is critical of nuclear reactor safety.

Read more: [link to columbustelegram.com]

-Seems to be under control. Bears a close watch.
Atom-Boy

User ID: 1352447
Japan
06/24/2011 09:42 AM
Report Abusive Post

Pic is at link

I'm going to watch and see if anything else comes of this.

Are you speaking about this Pic here?:

@ Waterbug

afaik this is not reclaimed Land like we know from
Christchurch or Chiba=Prefecture!

This is the Info i have, maybe wrong- maybe not!
G.Y.!B.E.
Waterbug  (OP)

United States
06/24/2011 09:43 AM
Report Abusive Post
High level of radiation exposure estimated

They estimate that residents have been internally exposed to up to 3.2 millisieverts for about 2 months, measuring from the date of the accident in March until early May.

Three millisieverts is 3 times higher than the long-term annual limit for ordinary people recommended by the International Commission on Radiological Protection.

[link to www3.nhk.or.jp]

- they should have been evacuated. This is criminal.
Waterbug  (OP)

United States
06/24/2011 12:00 PM
Report Abusive Post
Thanks for those links AH.
Waterbug  (OP)

United States
06/24/2011 02:00 PM
Report Abusive Post
A Nuclear Plant's Flood Defenses Trigger a Yearlong Regulatory Confrontation

"Today the plant is well positioned to ride out the current extreme Missouri River flooding while keeping the public safe," Nuclear Regulatory Commission spokesman Victor Dricks said on an agency blog this week.

But a year ago, those new defenses were not in place, and the plant's hard barriers could have failed against a 1,010-foot flood, the Nuclear Regulatory Commission contends in a yearlong inspection and enforcement action against the plant's operator, the Omaha Public Power District (OPPD).

"This is the first test of the revised flood preparations for Fort Calhoun," OPPD spokesman Michael Jones said.

NRC inspectors concluded that at flooding levels above 1,008 feet, the plant "would experience a loss of offsite power and loss of intake structure" and water pumps providing essential cooling water to the plant. In that case, "the plant would be incapable of reaching cold shutdown" with normal operations -- a fundamental safety requirement imposed by the NRC. The commission's Region IV office in Arlington, Texas, issued a notice of violation against the plant on Oct. 6 last year, finding that the issues were of "substantial importance" to the plant's safety.

OPPD challenged the NRC's inspectors' conclusions in a series of conferences before bowing to the commission staff's demands and agreeing to install the additional defenses this year. The AquaDam water berm was installed beginning June 4.

[link to www.nytimes.com]

- seems they fought the safety measures all the way.
Waterbug  (OP)

United States
06/24/2011 02:13 PM
Report Abusive Post
AGING NUKES, PART 4 OF 4: NRC and industry rewrite nuke history

ROCKVILLE, Md. — When commercial nuclear power was getting its start in the 1960s and 1970s, industry and regulators stated unequivocally that reactors were designed only to operate for 40 years.

Now they tell another story — insisting that the units were built with no inherent life span, and can run for up to a century, an Associated Press investigation shows.

So far, 66 of 104 reactors have been granted license renewals. Most of the 20-year extensions have been granted with scant public attention.

And the NRC has yet to reject a single application to extend an original license. The process has been so routine that many in the industry are already planning for additional license extensions, which could push the plants to operate for 80 years, and then 100.

Regulators and industry now contend that the 40-year limit was chosen for economic reasons and to satisfy antitrust concerns, not for safety issues. They contend that a nuclear plant has no technical limit on its life.

But an AP review of historical records, along with interviews with engineers who helped develop nuclear power, shows just the opposite:

Reactors were made to last only 40 years. Period.

[link to www.lohud.com]

- good policy. Until it changes.
Waterbug  (OP)

United States
06/24/2011 02:19 PM
Report Abusive Post
Tokyo - A Japanese robot was sent Friday into a damaged rector building for the first time to reduce the radiation exposure of workers, operator Tokyo Electric Power Co (TEPCO) said.

The unmanned robot 'Quince' developed by a team of researchers at Chiba Institute of Technology entered the building of reactor 2 at the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station to install equipment to measure water levels inside.

The operator made a Japanese robot work inside a reactor for the first time while US-made robots have been already used.

[link to www.monstersandcritics.com]
Waterbug  (OP)

United States
06/24/2011 02:25 PM
Report Abusive Post
Senators demand congressional probe on nuke safety

Three U.S. senators, alarmed by findings of an Associated Press investigation about aging problems at the nation's nuclear power plants, asked Thursday for a congressional investigation of safety standards and federal oversight at the facilities.

The request by Democrats Barbara Boxer of California and Sheldon Whitehouse of Rhode Island and independent Bernard Sanders of Vermont builds on increased public concern about nuclear safety in recent months -- an outcry unlike anything since the Chernobyl nuclear accident in 1986.

Public interest first spiked after the March accident at the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear plant in Japan. Concern has been heightened this week as the AP began releasing the results of a yearlong investigation into aging related safety problems at the 104 reactors operating in the United States.

That's led activists, politicians, critics and safety watchdogs to say they hope to turn the public focus more sharply onto the industry in America and broader regulatory problems at the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission. One after another, they said they hope the result will be tougher relicensing and safety standards, safer storage of spent fuel and better disaster planning.

[link to www.businessweek.com]

-this has the illusion of doing something however, most of the plants have already gotten renewals.[
Waterbug  (OP)

United States
06/24/2011 07:16 PM
Report Abusive Post
Nuclear Regulator to Visit Nebraska Plants .

The head of the Nuclear Regulatory Commission will visit two Nebraska nuclear plants threatened by flooding from the Missouri River early next week.

NRC Chairman Gregory Jaczko will observe plant preparations and the extent of flooding from the river at Cooper Nuclear Station Sunday and the Fort Calhoun nuclear-power plant Monday.

The Cooper Nuclear Station was still operating at 100% power as of Friday. The plant would shut down if the water level reaches 902 feet, Mark Becker, a spokesman for the Nebraska Public Power District said Thursday. Water was at 900.7 feet as of Thursday afternoon.

About 60 key personnel are being sequestered at the plant if needed, though the plant is operating normally, Mr. Becker said. Some of the plant's 760 employees live in Missouri and can't cross the river since roads are closed.

[link to online.wsj.com]

-Well I guess that isn't a problem unless something goes wrong...like a freaking flood!
Waterbug  (OP)

United States
06/24/2011 07:22 PM
Report Abusive Post
Nuclear Energy Institute Report on Japan's Nuclear Reactors, June 24, 2011 .

Washington, DC—(ENEWSPF)—June 24, 2011 – Update as of 5 p.m. EDT

Japanese Minister Calls for Restart of Nuclear Plants to Ease Electricity Supply Shortages
Plant Status

Tokyo Electric Power Co. is continuing efforts to reduce the accumulation of radioactive water from cooling operations at Fukushima Daiichi reactors 1, 2 and 3. With reactor temperatures stabilizing, the company is reducing the water injection flow rate into the reactors. The total inflow rate is now about 386 tons per day. Heavy rains are challenging TEPCO’s effort to contain water accumulating onsite.
TEPCO’s system to decontaminate and recycle the radioactive water in the basements of reactor buildings is now operating. As of Friday, a total of 3,000 tons of water has been decontaminated. The system is now filtering water at a rate of 400 tons per day. The design capacity of the system is 1,200 tons per day. The desalination component of the system has also begun operating. TEPCO plans to recycle the decontaminated water to cool the reactors, possibly as soon as next week.

About 99 tons of water was injected late last week into the reactor 4 used fuel pool using the new temporary “giraffe” injection line. The equipment storage pool—referred to in the United States as the “dryer separator pit”—has also been refilled with water to shield workers from activated metals being stored there.

[link to www.enewspf.com]

-some results.
Fishy

User ID: 1391023
United States
06/24/2011 08:24 PM
Report Abusive Post
Water bug, have you seen any reports that the outer vessel was breached? I've only seen reports that the inner one was.
Waterbug  (OP)

United States
06/24/2011 08:42 PM
Report Abusive Post
Water bug, have you seen any reports that the outer vessel was breached? I've only seen reports that the inner one was.
 Quoting: Fishy

links are on the old thread.
Waterbug  (OP)

United States
06/25/2011 06:26 PM
Report Abusive Post
Japan rebuild to cost $210 billion

A NEW estimate of the rebuilding of infrastructure, housing and other facilities ravaged by Japan’s March 11 earthquake and tsunami has put the total cost at about $210 billion, not including damage from the nuclear crisis, Kyodo News reports.
The total cost will be much higher when the effects of radiation leaks from the Fukushima nuclear power plant are included, analysts said.

[link to www.heraldsun.com.au]

-Yep. That pesky radiation is gonna cost a lot.
Waterbug  (OP)

United States
06/25/2011 06:29 PM
Report Abusive Post
Robot, drone missions fail at Japan plant

TOKYO — Two high-tech machines intended to help workers at Japan’s tsunami-hit nuclear plant malfunctioned yesterday, including a long-awaited Japanese robot making its first attempt to take important measurements in areas too dangerous for humans.

[link to www.boston.com]

-Quince got stuck on a landing.
Waterbug  (OP)

United States
06/25/2011 06:33 PM
Report Abusive Post
Tepco struggles to contain crisis
Power company considers money-saving options

Tokyo: Tokyo Electric Power Company may sell assets, reduce pension benefits and eliminate jobs to shore up finances as it struggles to contain the worst nuclear crisis since Chernobyl and compensate victims, Japanese media reported.

The utility, known as Tepco, may sell Toden Real Estate as part of a restructuring programme, the Yomiuri newspaper reported yesterday, without saying where it got the information.

The unit has 180 billion yen (Dh8.2 billion) in assets including about 460 commercial and residential buildings under management, the report said.

Tokyo Electric may also sell At Tokyo Corporation, a unit that operates a data centre, Yomiuri said.

[link to gulfnews.com]

- might have to have a big yard sale.
ar-15 nut

User ID: 1281306
United States
06/25/2011 06:41 PM
Report Abusive Post
[link to www.tepco.co.jp]

Press Release (Jun 24,2011)
Plant Status of Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station (as of 10:00 am, June 24)
dont know if you saw this one.
We are a REPUBLIC.If we can keep it MORAN!
A pissed off American Veteran!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1379944
United States
06/25/2011 10:05 PM
Report Abusive Post
bump
Waterbug  (OP)

United States
06/26/2011 10:45 AM
Report Abusive Post
Nuke industry investigation is needed
When an earthquake and tsunami disabled the safety features of the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear facility in Japan, it brought to the forefront long-held concerns about the safety of nuclear energy.

The Associated Press this week reported on its investigation into the nuclear industry and its level of regulation by the federal government.

Regardless of a someone's personal feelings about nuclear power, the report should cause concern. It showed a trend of nuclear industry officials and regulators being too cozy and losing sight of the bigger picture of public health.

[link to www.timescall.com]

- I am very glad these issues are getting coverage. Whether they improve remains to be seen.

GLP