User ID: 1295673
United States
06/26/2011 10:55 AM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: *** Fukushima *** and other nuclear-----updates and links
Nuclear waste storage at Diablo Canyon is a mini Yucca

Read more: [link to www.sanluisobispo.com]

There is 26 billion dollars in the Nuclear Waste Fund. The problem of spent fuel storage is growing. The fact that most is stored onsite is troubling as it would add to the problems in case of a catastrophe occurring such as Fuku.
Waterbug  (OP)

United States
06/26/2011 11:04 AM
Report Abusive Post
Citizens have 'no standing' on nuclear waste issues

Despite the efforts of citizens' groups in Tennessee, 1,000 tons of German radioactive waste are headed to Oak Ridge to be incinerated by EnergySolutions/Duratek. We are assured that this low-level medical waste is perfectly safe to burn; they do it all the time. But if it is so safe, why do the Germans, who own state-of-the-art incinerators in their own country, want to ship 1,000 tons to us? And who in our government is allowing our state to be polluted by foreign radioactive waste?

In other words, the state of Tennessee will accept the imported nuclear waste if the NRC allows it to enter the country. Conversely, the NRC will allow the waste to be imported if the state will accept it for processing. This legal runaround is designed to allow both levels of government to deny responsibility, whereas in fact, they are both responsible.

[link to www.dnj.com]

- more shady practices concerning nuclear waste. At a town near you.
Waterbug  (OP)

United States
06/26/2011 11:48 AM
Report Abusive Post
Tokyo Electric May Give Technical Support to Turkey Nuclear Bid

Read more: [link to www.sfgate.com]

-not a great idea.
cloister
User ID: 1155256
United States
06/26/2011 11:57 AM
Report Abusive Post
bump
cloister
User ID: 1155256
United States
06/26/2011 11:57 AM
Report Abusive Post
and 5 stars
Waterbug  (OP)

United States
06/26/2011 12:09 PM
Report Abusive Post
TEPCO Plans Dangerous Liquid Nitrogen Injections at Fukushima Reactor 2

Earlier this week, TEPCO tried to fill the reactor 2 containment with water. That did not work. So they OPENED the containment and released BILLIONS of lethal doses of radiation. Now they are wondering whether there is any water left in the bottom of the containment.

Now they are going to pump liquid nitrogen into the core of reactor 2. Liquid nitrogen freezes at -346 degrees F and boils at -321 degrees F. A 25 degree F difference. First, they will probably never actually get any liquid nitrogen near the core – it will boil away immediately upon being pumped into the containment (they tried it at Chernobyl – it didn’t work there, either). If, by some physical quirk they manage to pump some on a nuclear core at 3,000 degrees F, they will be mightily surprised at what happens. The expansion ration of liquid nitrogen is about 1:7. They will probably manage to asphyxiate everyone within a block if it doesn’t blow up in their face. But maybe they will get lucky. Maybe they will only release a few billion more lethal doses of radiation.

[link to hawaiinewsdaily.com]

-
Waterbug  (OP)

United States
06/26/2011 12:17 PM
Report Abusive Post
TEPCO cuts back on water due to expected rains

But reducing the water being poured into the damaged reactors puts the plant operator in dilemma, since if the volume of water is reduced, temperatures in the reactors will likely rise. In fact, temperatures inside the No. 3 reactor have already risen slightly.

The amount of water being injected into the Nos. 1 and 2 reactors was reduced by half a ton per hour Tuesday for the second straight day to 3.5 tons per hour and four tons per hour, respectively. But plant workers have continued pouring 10 tons per hour into the No. 3 reactor because of high temperatures inside, TEPCO said.

[link to www.yomiuri.co.jp]

- this is the reason for the nitrogen attempt.
Waterbug  (OP)

United States
06/26/2011 04:36 PM
Report Abusive Post
MOX information

[link to www.next-up.org]
Waterbug  (OP)

United States
06/26/2011 04:39 PM
Report Abusive Post
Flood berm collapses at Nebraska nuclear plant

[link to www.seattlepi.com]

- not surprised
Waterbug  (OP)

United States
06/26/2011 04:55 PM
Report Abusive Post
They want to get those reactors started.

[link to www.google.com]
Southern OR

User ID: 1167877
United States
06/26/2011 08:49 PM

Report Abusive Post
Citizens dissatisfied with nuke safety meeting

The Japanese government held a meeting in Saga Prefecture, western Japan, on Sunday to explain to local residents about safety measures being taken to resume operations of a nuclear power plant in the area. But most of the people were strongly dissatisfied with the government report.

The meeting was the first of its kind since the accident at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant in March.

Seven residents chosen by the government, including a housewife and a senior official of the local chamber of commerce, attended the meeting at a cable TV station.
[link to www3.nhk.or.jp]
"Well-behaved women seldom make history." —Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~Edward Everett Hale
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1303529
United States
06/26/2011 09:25 PM
Report Abusive Post
Excellent thread. Thank you OP. hf
Southern OR

United States
06/26/2011 09:49 PM

Report Abusive Post
A SELF-DESCRIBED "animal rescue guerilla" has made a daring raid to the centre of Japan's nuclear crisis to pluck to safety two dogs seen wandering around the stricken Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant.

But perhaps the most amazing was the discovery via a camera trained permanently on the Fukushima Daiichi plant of the pair of Japanese Shiba dogs prowling around the highly radioactive plant more than three months after the beginning of the tsunami and nuclear crisis.

In the footage, the two biscuit-coloured dogs stand out clearly against the grey backdrop of wrecked reactor buildings and tangled metal, and they were spotted by supporters of Mr Hoshi, who were monitoring the internet feed of the camera.
"We knew those dogs would die eventually if they were left alone," Mr Hoshi, 55, who runs an car parts distribution business, tells The Australian. "I thought, 'If we can get there and possibly save them, why not?'."

On June 5, he and several sympathisers donned protective suits and skirted police roadblocks in their car and drove right into the plant to where the camera is based. Before long, they had found the dogs, whisked them into their car and got them back to safety.
"We knew those dogs would die eventually if they were left alone," Mr Hoshi, 55, who runs an car parts distribution business, tells The Australian. "I thought, 'If we can get there and possibly save them, why not?'."

[link to www.theaustralian.com.au] ... 6082355948

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~Edward Everett Hale
Waterbug  (OP)

United States
06/26/2011 10:54 PM
Report Abusive Post
Concern at Nebraska Reactors as Floodwaters Rise

The reactor, Cooper Station, is one of two nuclear plants on the Missouri River, which has been beset by flooding in recent days. Another reactor, Fort Calhoun, took two steps backward on Sunday. In the pre-dawn hours, a piece of heavy equipment nicked a temporary rubber berm, 8 feet high and 2,000 feet long, and it deflated. And water there began to approach the switchyard, where grid power enters the complex, so operators started up their diesel generators.

[link to www.nytimes.com]
Waterbug  (OP)

United States
06/26/2011 10:56 PM
Report Abusive Post
Excellent thread. Thank you OP. hf
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1303529

TY. hf
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 721982
Canada
06/26/2011 11:23 PM
Report Abusive Post
:pinthis:
Anonymous Coward
Canada
06/26/2011 11:27 PM
Report Abusive Post
Nebraska is going downhill so fast and bad...im speechless.

You wouldnt believe the line of storms that just went thru..OMG
Anonymous Coward
Canada
06/26/2011 11:29 PM
Report Abusive Post
I would imagine both units are being battered by high seas....in the middle of America

wuhfaint
Waterbug  (OP)

United States
06/26/2011 11:30 PM
Report Abusive Post

Quoting: RememberThis

Been following it. It's a bunch of crazy shit. If any of those dams go it's going to be horrifying.
Anonymous Coward
Canada
06/26/2011 11:36 PM
Report Abusive Post

Been following it. It's a bunch of crazy shit. If any of those dams go it's going to be horrifying.
 Quoting: Waterbug

1st the Pacific was/is being poisoned...Now the Missouri, which leads into the Mississippi, then off to the Gulf and then off to the Atlantic.

I thought I was bent out of shape over Fuku...now Im almost completely overcome....I cant believe this is happening bug!
But what can just 1 man do...
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1379944
United States
06/26/2011 11:38 PM
Report Abusive Post
Just thinking out loud....

Ft Calhoun's reactor is a Pressurized Water Reactor (PWR). It requires the super-heated coolant (light water) to be pressurized at crazy-high pressures to remain liquid as it flows through the coolant channels within the core of the reactor.

If power is lost to the plant (station blackout), pressure in the closed-coolant system will fall... and the super-heated coolant will immediately boil. and turn to steam. We all know what happens when steam rapidly forms in a sealed environment.

thoughts?
Waterbug  (OP)

United States
06/26/2011 11:44 PM
Report Abusive Post

1st the Pacific was/is being poisoned...Now the Missouri, which leads into the Mississippi, then off to the Gulf and then off to the Atlantic.

I thought I was bent out of shape over Fuku...now Im almost completely overcome....I cant believe this is happening bug!
But what can just 1 man do...

At this point, I think all we can do is observe and inform. The glaring comparison in my mind is the lack of ready information. The answers are in what is not being said and there is a lot that is not being said.
Waterbug  (OP)

United States
06/26/2011 11:57 PM
Report Abusive Post

Ft Calhoun's reactor is a Pressurized Water Reactor (PWR). It requires the super-heated coolant (light water) to be pressurized at crazy-high pressures to remain liquid as it flows through the coolant channels within the core of the reactor.

If power is lost to the plant (station blackout), pressure in the closed-coolant system will fall... and the super-heated coolant will immediately boil. and turn to steam. We all know what happens when steam rapidly forms in a sealed environment.

thoughts?
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1379944

The reactor is shut down at calhoun. They must maintain cooling to the reactor and the SFP. Without knowing the layout it's hard to say what the situation is. A loss of coolant event would be worse case scenario. Meltdown? I have a lot more faith in american mitigation than I do Tepco.

It's on backup now. Hopefully they can restore full hard line power soon. I also hope they have enough fuel. At fuku they lost the fuel to the tsunami.

At Fuku the SFP is at a high level adjacent to the top of the reactor. If the SFP at calhoun is flooded I expect some contamination to occur.
Anonymous Coward
Canada
06/26/2011 11:59 PM
Report Abusive Post

thoughts?

"Supposedly" the reactor was shut down for refueling, so the chance of a steam explosion is basically non-existant...if we have been told the truth--that is.
That doesnt really mean much in this situation or any other one like it that may eventually occur.
That fuel MUST be kept cool by water flow or its over...
Once the power is gone...well you get the drift
Anonymous Coward
Canada
06/27/2011 12:01 AM
Report Abusive Post
LOL Bug...you type a lot faster than me
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1379944
United States
06/27/2011 12:06 AM
Report Abusive Post

thoughts?

The reactor is shut down at calhoun. They must maintain cooling to the reactor and the SFP. Without knowing the layout it's hard to say what the situation is. A loss of coolant event would be worse case scenario. Meltdown? I have a lot more faith in american mitigation than I do Tepco.

It's on backup now. Hopefully they can restore full hard line power soon. I also hope they have enough fuel. At fuku they lost the fuel to the tsunami.

At Fuku the SFP is at a high level adjacent to the top of the reactor. If the SFP at calhoun is flooded I expect some contamination to occur.

Well that's a good point.

Anyone know how water is circulated in a shutdown PWR type system to keep a shutdown nuclear core cool? Does it still require the pressurized system or not?
Anonymous Coward
Canada
06/27/2011 12:12 AM
Report Abusive Post
I wonder why they dont call for sheer manpower...I would go..In a heartbeat.

Obviously hiways would be blocked quickly...I would walk then..I would beat my fucking way thru the damn corn with a machete and swim the rest of the way if I had to.

There has to be something we can do besides sit and watch in horror.
Southern OR

United States
06/27/2011 12:13 AM

Report Abusive Post
They do seem to be working against a bad mix of issues. Seems way to familiar to Fuku for me.

Anonymous Coward
Canada
06/27/2011 12:13 AM
Report Abusive Post

thoughts?

Well that's a good point.

Anyone know how water is circulated in a shutdown PWR type system to keep a shutdown nuclear core cool? Does it still require the pressurized system or not?

Good question...what it all "boils" down to (excuse the pun) is that power must be maintained to keep any and all rods cool.
Anonymous Coward
Canada
06/27/2011 12:14 AM
Report Abusive Post
They do seem to be working against a bad mix of issues. Seems way to familiar to Fuku for me.
 Quoting: Southern OR

Except in Fuku..the waters receded..our inland tsunami isnt

GLP