Mario1105
Offer Upgrade

User ID: 1079058
United States
07/24/2011 07:30 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
BREAKING:::: FOX NEWS ::Planet Nibiru, Comet Elenin Await Earth's End
Renowned astrophysicist Carl Sagan once described a "baloney detection kit" — a set of tools that skeptical thinkers use to investigate any new concept. A few of the key tools include a healthy distrust of information that isn't independently verified, critically assessing an idea rather than becoming irrationally attached to it simply because it's intriguing, and a preference for simple explanations over wildly speculative ones.

The waxing obsession with the planet Nibiru , which conspiracy theorists say is a planet swinging in from the outskirts of our solar system that is going to crash into Earth and wipe out humanity in 2012 — or, in some opinions, 2011 — shows that an astonishing number of people "are watching YouTube videos and visiting slick websites with nothing in their skeptical toolkit," in the words of David Morrison, a planetary astronomer at NASA Ames Research Center and senior scientist at the NASA Astrobiology Institute.

Morrison estimates that there are 2 million websites discussing the impending Nibiru-Earth collision. He receives, on average, five email inquiries about Nibiru every day.

"At least a once a week I get a message from a young person — as young as 11 — who says they are ill and/or contemplating suicide because of the coming doomsday," Morrison told Life's Little Mysteries, a sister site to SPACE.com.

What's the origin of this mass panic about Nibiru, which astronomers say doesn't exist?

[link to www.foxnews.com]
Spitting Into The Wind

User ID: 1302481
United States
07/24/2011 07:31 PM
Report Abusive Post
Re: BREAKING:::: FOX NEWS ::Planet Nibiru, Comet Elenin Await Earth's End
LOL! Desperate to find news, are they?
Mario1105  (OP)

United States
07/24/2011 07:31 PM
Report Abusive Post
bump
Mario1105  (OP)

United States
07/24/2011 07:32 PM
Report Abusive Post
LOL! Desperate to find news, are they?
 Quoting: Spitting Into The Wind

LOL ID SAY SO
ClearEyed Thinker

User ID: 1441884
United States
07/24/2011 07:33 PM
Report Abusive Post
Anything that fills air time, since they can't talk about the Murdoch's woes with any real integrity...
"People ask me to predict the future, when all I want to do is prevent it. Better yet, build it. Predicting the future is much too easy, anyway. You look at the people around you, the street you stand on, the visible air you breathe, and predict more of the same. To hell with more. I want better." ~ Ray Bradbury
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1369386
United States
07/24/2011 07:35 PM
Report Abusive Post
What I don't get is why people are "feeling ill or contemplating suicide" over this so called nibiru conspiracy. If its going to wipe us out why commit suicide when your going to die in a few months anyway and why would you worry about it so much where it makes you ill. It makes no sense to me. We are all gonna die sometime so stop worrying about it.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1470678
United States
07/24/2011 07:38 PM
Report Abusive Post
Nicely done fox, ousting all the doomtards for the world to see. We were HAPPY plotting then end before everyone knew about it. We were HAPPY knowing that it was our little secret.

Now I feel like a hipster for the end of the world.

"I was a fan of Nibiru before you could even see it!"

Bah.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1446548
United States
07/24/2011 07:43 PM
Report Abusive Post
What whiners - that is so MSM.
MENTAL MYK

User ID: 1139683
United States
07/24/2011 08:16 PM
Report Abusive Post
is'nt it odd that after that guy on you tube says no news source was showing anything about comet elenin they are all putting out stories on it.

GLP