tinygreen
Offer Upgrade

User ID: 427545
United States
08/26/2011 09:39 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
>>>>Sustainable Living PLUS Canning and Dehydrating Food<<<<
last year i canned for the first time. wow, i was nervous.

this year, i'm doing better. i have been canning like mad.

if you'd like, tell us your how's and why's. learning to preserve food is one of the most important skills a person can learn.

if you have a picture of your preserved foods uploaded, let me know and i'll post it for you.

a good source for shtf or urban farming...

Thread: Farmin' in the HOOD --- VIDEO --- these families raise tons of food and have transformed the neighborhood...URBAN FARMING/ GARDENING

so far this year, we have canned...

green beans
yellow wax beans
peas
peaches
plums
zuchinni
sweet pickle relish

i'm going to try making my own fruit pie filling.

trying my hand at canning potatoes also.

finished the green beans while i was trying to write this. 14 quarts and 15 pints.

i'm going to edit this first post. moving pics to another post and will start the index of recipes and pictures.

Last Edited by Tiny Green on 10/01/2011 05:44 PM
'it is not the duty of the police to protect you. their job is to protect THE CORPORATION and arrest code breakers.'

(sapp vs tallahassee)
tinygreen  (OP)

United States
08/26/2011 09:54 PM
Report Abusive Post
Re: >>>>Sustainable Living PLUS Canning and Dehydrating Food<<<<
totally highlarious!!

baconbro

some of our canned goods. i have many in boxes and on shelves.

these were done a few days ago.

canningtg

plumstg

peachtg

gbeanstg

Last Edited by Tiny Green on 10/01/2011 05:45 PM
'it is not the duty of the police to protect you. their job is to protect THE CORPORATION and arrest code breakers.'

(sapp vs tallahassee)
tinygreen  (OP)

United States
08/26/2011 09:56 PM
Report Abusive Post
for the pie mix!!

(sapp vs tallahassee)
tinygreen  (OP)

United States
08/26/2011 10:05 PM
Report Abusive Post
wow! just watched this video about canning lids. i'll be checking my lids more that's for sure.

well worth the time to watch.

(sapp vs tallahassee)
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1324356
United States
08/26/2011 10:11 PM
Report Abusive Post
Awesome! Good job! It's work, but it is kind of fun isn't it? I grew up canning tomatoes but it's been so long. Everything else we did was blanching and freezing. But I used to walk through my grandma's "cellar"...it looked like a grocery store! These are times (outside of normal) I wish grandma was back! She canned EVERYTHING! At least I know I can can tomatoes. And I bought two packages of jars and accessories. I need more. Nice job Tiny Green!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1324356
United States
08/26/2011 10:12 PM
Report Abusive Post
(By the way, did you use a pressure cooker with the green beans or the bath method? I'd like to be able to trust the bath method.)
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1424331
United States
08/26/2011 10:14 PM
Report Abusive Post
Nice going. I have been canning like mad lately myself. Green beans, hot peppers, bread and butter pickels...........mmmmmmmm good.
I can not view the video right now, but I will say that when my jars cool, I take the bands off. That way I will know if I have a bad seal.
Anonymous Coward
United States
08/26/2011 10:16 PM
Report Abusive Post
(By the way, did you use a pressure cooker with the green beans or the bath method? I'd like to be able to trust the bath method.)
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1324356

You have to use a pressure cooker for green beans. Pick up the Ball Canning guide at any store. It is very informative and has good recipies in it.
tinygreen  (OP)

United States
08/26/2011 10:19 PM
Report Abusive Post
Awesome! Good job! It's work, but it is kind of fun isn't it? I grew up canning tomatoes but it's been so long. Everything else we did was blanching and freezing. But I used to walk through my grandma's "cellar"...it looked like a grocery store! These are times (outside of normal) I wish grandma was back! She canned EVERYTHING! At least I know I can can tomatoes. And I bought two packages of jars and accessories. I need more. Nice job Tiny Green!

thank you so much! now that i'm grandma, i hope to have a treasure room of my own. chuckle

i truly believe it's important to make our own food. i've grown a great deal of mine. we don't have fruit this year, just vegetable.

get to work. who knows when we'll need our supplies. i hope we don't have any need of what i've made, except to enjoy in the winter. i'm all for having hope.hugs

(sapp vs tallahassee)
Anonymous Coward
United States
08/26/2011 10:19 PM
Report Abusive Post
I also processed a bunch of tomatoes into sauce...good stuff. Pick up a Roma Tomato mill (or similar) and you can make sause real quick. You can water bath for this, but have to add some lemmon juice (two table spoons/qt). Or you can pressure process without the lemmon juice.
tinygreen  (OP)

United States
08/26/2011 10:22 PM
Report Abusive Post

we used the pressure cooker. 10 lbs of pressure for 25 minutes on the quarts and 20 minutes on the pints. mom says water bath isn't hot enough to cook the beans down well. she's 75 and has canned all her life. i grew up eating it.

we did can our zuchinni using a water bath in the oven!! i didn't know you could can in the oven also. i'm still learning.

(sapp vs tallahassee)
tinygreen  (OP)

United States
08/26/2011 10:26 PM
Report Abusive Post
Nice going. I have been canning like mad lately myself. Green beans, hot peppers, bread and butter pickels...........mmmmmmmm good.
I can not view the video right now, but I will say that when my jars cool, I take the bands off. That way I will know if I have a bad seal.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1424331

cheer canning like mad is the way to go! cheer

it's great to know so many people are doing the best they can for themselves. home canned foods are so much better than processed foods.

i haven't done any peppers yet.

we take the bands off as well. we are reusing them like crazy right now.

we made some fridge pickles with green peper, onion and cucumber. vast jar of it. very tasty.

(sapp vs tallahassee)
tinygreen  (OP)

United States
08/26/2011 10:29 PM
Report Abusive Post
I also processed a bunch of tomatoes into sauce...good stuff. Pick up a Roma Tomato mill (or similar) and you can make sause real quick. You can water bath for this, but have to add some lemmon juice (two table spoons/qt). Or you can pressure process without the lemmon juice.

wow, that sounds great! we have a mixed bunch of tomatoes this year. i haven't decided what to make with them yet, but tomato sauce sounds like a fabulous idea. make some with meat and some without.

great idea!! dancingtrio

(sapp vs tallahassee)
Anonymous Coward
United States
08/26/2011 10:31 PM
Report Abusive Post

wow, that sounds great! we have a mixed bunch of tomatoes this year. i haven't decided what to make with them yet, but tomato sauce sounds like a fabulous idea. make some with meat and some without.

great idea!! :dancingtrio:
 Quoting: tinygreen

I used to de-seed and skin by hand until I picked up a mill from ebay for $50. I should have done that a long time ago. It saves so much time.
tinygreen  (OP)

United States
08/26/2011 10:41 PM
Report Abusive Post

great idea!! dancingtrio

I used to de-seed and skin by hand until I picked up a mill from ebay for $50. I should have done that a long time ago. It saves so much time.

that is excellent info!! i'll have to look into getting a mill. thank you! heartballons

(sapp vs tallahassee)
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1521643
United States
08/26/2011 10:45 PM
Report Abusive Post
pigchef
tinygreen  (OP)

United States
08/26/2011 10:49 PM
Report Abusive Post
pigchef
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1521643

yes, you can can bacon. see above. pottygnom

(sapp vs tallahassee)
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1522607
United States
08/26/2011 11:01 PM
Report Abusive Post

great idea!! :dancingtrio:

that is excellent info!! i'll have to look into getting a mill. thank you! :heartballons:

hmmm...that food mill looks kinda like my wheatgrass juicer. I wonder how it would work.
I too am canning like crazy this year. I'm loving the pressure canner! I converted about .25 acres of my yard to a garden...inspired by the book: The Backyard Homestead [link to www.google.com]
It has all kinds of useful info...including how to make dandelion wine...just in case the s really does htf and we get desperate for booze...ha, ha.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1266763
United States
08/26/2011 11:10 PM
Report Abusive Post
Looks great! I have canned Blueberries, Raspberries, Blackberries and strawberries. I just finished canning Prickly pear Jelly and it is cooling now :) A friend of mine picked them and shipped them to me from Texas and I will send her some of the jelly back :)

I plan on canning potatoes and some pickles too:)
I want to can some soups and see how that turns out :)
Yumm!!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1522583
United States
08/26/2011 11:10 PM
Report Abusive Post
bump
tinygreen  (OP)

United States
08/26/2011 11:30 PM
Report Abusive Post
hmmm...that food mill looks kinda like my wheatgrass juicer. I wonder how it would work.
I too am canning like crazy this year. I'm loving the pressure canner! I converted about .25 acres of my yard to a garden...inspired by the book: The Backyard Homestead [link to www.google.com]
It has all kinds of useful info...including how to make dandelion wine...just in case the s really does htf and we get desperate for booze...ha, ha.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1522607

thanks for the info! da booze would be high on the list of barterable items. 22much

i'm going to check on the book. sounds interesting. i read a great book on companion planting earlier this year. i wanted to do that, but my father had his own ideas. maybe next year.

we have nearly an acre of garden. it's hard work. then all the canning. i nearly cry with relief(and a certain amount of terror)when it rains. then i can stay indoors. chill for awhile.

we all need to get sharp on aquiring storable foods. i think of myself as preparing my nest, in a way.

when our families need this food or we simply consume it, we'll be glad we took the time, effort and money to do for our selves.

fridge

(sapp vs tallahassee)
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1522655
New Zealand
08/26/2011 11:32 PM
Report Abusive Post
Hi do you know if brocolli can be dehydrated?
tinygreen  (OP)

United States
08/26/2011 11:37 PM
Report Abusive Post
Looks great! I have canned Blueberries, Raspberries, Blackberries and strawberries. I just finished canning Prickly pear Jelly and it is cooling now :) A friend of mine picked them and shipped them to me from Texas and I will send her some of the jelly back :)

Yumm!!
 Quoting: ADC

i would love to try that prickly pear jelly. i want to do crab apple jelly. tart and sweet flavor. i'm still looking for some locally. it's early yet for apples.

awesome friend to send you tasty fruit. where did you get your blueberries and other fruit?

i'm going to try potatoes. i'm also going to store vegetables and whatnot in the cellar at our farm.

(sapp vs tallahassee)
tinygreen  (OP)

United States
08/26/2011 11:41 PM
Report Abusive Post
Hi do you know if brocolli can be dehydrated?
 Quoting: Tauranga

actually, yes. flower

[link to www.howtogardenadvice.com]

Dehydrating Vegetables: BROCCOLI
Instructions for dehydrating broccoli:
1. Wash the vegetables
2. Peel the tough skin from the stalks.
3. Separate the florets from the stalks.
4. Cut the stalks into ½” diagonal slices and cut the florets into uniform pieces.
5. dehydrate broccoli at 100 degrees for about 18 hours or until brittle.
6. Store dried broccoli in a clean, dry, airtight container, in a cool dark location. (Light can cause discoloration)

Rehydrated broccoli is best used in soups and casseroles.

To rehydrate, soak in hot water for 30 minutes or steam for 15 minutes (until tender). For fresher looking broccoli, soak in cold water for 5 minutes before cooking.

(sapp vs tallahassee)
tinygreen  (OP)

United States
08/26/2011 11:42 PM
Report Abusive Post
bump
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1522583

thank you for the bump! hugs

(sapp vs tallahassee)
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1266763
United States
08/26/2011 11:52 PM
Report Abusive Post

Yumm!!

i would love to try that prickly pear jelly. i want to do crab apple jelly. tart and sweet flavor. i'm still looking for some locally. it's early yet for apples.

awesome friend to send you tasty fruit. where did you get your blueberries and other fruit?

i'm going to try potatoes. i'm also going to store vegetables and whatnot in the cellar at our farm.

I picked the blueberries, raspberries and blackberries that grew wild here. The strawberries were given to me by my neighbors. My neighbors also gave me onions and potatoes, beets will be harvested soon. I plan on making some potato soup and beet soup as well as pickled beets. I was thinking about canning some cheesy potatoes :)

The prickly pears I saw in a friends pictures she posted and asked her for some. She said she did not know what they were and they grow wild in Texas.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1467479
United States
08/26/2011 11:52 PM
Report Abusive Post
wow! just watched this video about canning lids. i'll be checking my lids more that's for sure.

Oh !im so pissed! I did the same thing as the lady and the Ball Lids SUCK! All the canning Ive done with them , my shit better not go bad!!! Good Find my friend on that video.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1522655
New Zealand
08/26/2011 11:56 PM
Report Abusive Post
Thanks for that, i'm going to try it. I am thinking it would be ok if you lost power, whereas frozen would spoil.
bump
tinygreen  (OP)

United States
08/27/2011 12:00 AM
Report Abusive Post
I picked the blueberries, raspberries and blackberries that grew wild here. The strawberries were given to me by my neighbors. My neighbors also gave me onions and potatoes, beets will be harvested soon. I plan on making some potato soup and beet soup as well as pickled beets. I was thinking about canning some cheesy potatoes :)

The prickly pears I saw in a friends pictures she posted and asked her for some. She said she did not know what they were and they grow wild in Texas.

cheezy potatoes would be awesome! let me know if it works. i may try to can bacon for real.

it's great to have neighbors with gardens themselves. sharing is good. ohyeah

we'll be getting more tomatoes from one of ours. i've still got corn, beets, cabbage, potatoes, lima beans, baby lima beans. there might be more but i'm so tired right now, i can't remember.

i love pickled beets. my mom has the best receipt.

it's so great to be able to go outside and pick fruit and use it. i have trees growing right now, some had small fruit this year. maybe by next year i'll have a crop.

hercoffee

(sapp vs tallahassee)
tinygreen  (OP)

United States
08/27/2011 12:04 AM
Report Abusive Post

Oh !im so pissed! I did the same thing as the lady and the Ball Lids SUCK! All the canning Ive done with them , my shit better not go bad!!! Good Find my friend on that video.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1467479

no shit. and i've been using them myself. i had 3 jars of beans not seal on the batch before last. now i'm wondering if it was the fucking lids. now i'm getting really pissed. i hadn't even connected my own dots. i'm a nit.

so, can we take them back? do we start a viral campaign against ball lids? i'm email and call them at the very least. and i'll be checking every damned one of them from now on.rant

(sapp vs tallahassee)
tinygreen  (OP)

United States
08/27/2011 12:07 AM
Report Abusive Post
Thanks for that, i'm going to try it. I am thinking it would be ok if you lost power, whereas frozen would spoil.
bump
 Quoting: Tauranga

yeah, the biggest draw for me on canning, is being able to keep food if the grid was to go down.

i went through hurricaine ike and we didn't have power for 12 days. it was awful. i was the only person on the entire block who had a gas stove. i cooked for many people. then all our stuff went bad. it was awful.

i learned the hard way. now i'm taking advantage of the fact that i have all the canning stuff and the produce for the most part. i'm going to start canning all year around.

(sapp vs tallahassee)

GLP