>>>>Sustainable Living PLUS Canning and Dehydrating Food<<<<

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1266763
United States
08/27/2011 12:10 AM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: >>>>Sustainable Living PLUS Canning and Dehydrating Food<<<<
I picked the blueberries, raspberries and blackberries that grew wild here. The strawberries were given to me by my neighbors. My neighbors also gave me onions and potatoes, beets will be harvested soon. I plan on making some potato soup and beet soup as well as pickled beets. I was thinking about canning some cheesy potatoes :)

The prickly pears I saw in a friends pictures she posted and asked her for some. She said she did not know what they were and they grow wild in Texas.
 Quoting: ADC

cheezy potatoes would be awesome! let me know if it works. i may try to can bacon for real.

it's great to have neighbors with gardens themselves. sharing is good. ohyeah

we'll be getting more tomatoes from one of ours. i've still got corn, beets, cabbage, potatoes, lima beans, baby lima beans. there might be more but i'm so tired right now, i can't remember.

i love pickled beets. my mom has the best receipt.

it's so great to be able to go outside and pick fruit and use it. i have trees growing right now, some had small fruit this year. maybe by next year i'll have a crop.

:hercoffee:
 Quoting: tinygreen

I will let you know :) I will let you know how the soups turn out too..I will make vegetable soup too:)

It would be nice if more people worked together.

Please see if your mom would mind if you posted her beet recipe and the fridge pickles. I have never made pickles in the fridge and would love a good recipe to try :)
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1522655
New Zealand
08/27/2011 12:16 AM
Report Abusive Post
Perhaps i should now ask u how to can brocolli? Have u ever tried doing that? Do u guys eat much brocolli in USA? We call canning 'bottling' here in NZ.-
tinygreen  (OP)

User ID: 427545
United States
08/27/2011 12:27 AM
Report Abusive Post
I will let you know :) I will let you know how the soups turn out too..I will make vegetable soup too:)

Please see if your mom would mind if you posted her beet recipe and the fridge pickles. I have never made pickles in the fridge and would love a good recipe to try :)

i certainly will. mom would love to have other people try it out. i do love the beets. she's sleeping right now, so i'll post the receipes in the morning.

i gotta go to sleep. i have a bushel of peaches to can tomorrow. i'm also going to try canning peach pie filling. should be tasty!! i may have to whip up a pie crust of two also. just in case.
'it is not the duty of the police to protect you. their job is to protect THE CORPORATION and arrest code breakers.'

(sapp vs tallahassee)
Anonymous Coward
United States
08/27/2011 12:30 AM
Report Abusive Post

i certainly will. mom would love to have other people try it out. i do love the beets. she's sleeping right now, so i'll post the receipes in the morning.

i gotta go to sleep. i have a bushel of peaches to can tomorrow. i'm also going to try canning peach pie filling. should be tasty!! i may have to whip up a pie crust of two also. just in case.

Yumm I love to make fresh pies too!

Good night :)
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1484922
United States
08/27/2011 12:32 AM
Report Abusive Post
I dehydrate 6 bags of frozen veggies everyday, vacuum seal them with oxygen absorber and store.

Stir Fry
Mixed Vegetables
Rancho Blend
Soup veggie mix

I think of all food storage in terms of family servings so Im trying to get at least 1 year of dehydrated veggies.
tinygreen  (OP)

United States
08/27/2011 12:32 AM
Report Abusive Post
Perhaps i should now ask u how to can brocolli? Have u ever tried doing that? Do u guys eat much brocolli in USA? We call canning 'bottling' here in NZ.-
 Quoting: Tauranga

i have canned swiss chard. haven't tried broccoli yet though. americans eat quite a lot of broccoli.

here's how to can broccoli

[link to www.goodcanning.com]

Plain ol' Broccoli

Cut broccoli into pieces. Cover with water and boil for 3 minutes. Put broccoli in jars, cover with boiling water leaving 1 inch headroom.

Process for 35 minutes at 10 pounds of pressure when at 1000 feet, 15 pounds of pressure over 1000 feet.
'it is not the duty of the police to protect you. their job is to protect THE CORPORATION and arrest code breakers.'

(sapp vs tallahassee)
tinygreen  (OP)

United States
08/27/2011 12:33 AM
Report Abusive Post
I dehydrate 6 bags of frozen veggies everyday, vacuum seal them with oxygen absorber and store.

Stir Fry
Mixed Vegetables
Rancho Blend
Soup veggie mix

I think of all food storage in terms of family servings so Im trying to get at least 1 year of dehydrated veggies.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1484922

that is incredibly smart. cheer i should try that myself. is it hard to do?

(sapp vs tallahassee)

User ID: 1477888
United States
08/27/2011 12:37 AM
Report Abusive Post
last year i canned for the first time. wow, i was nervous.

this year, i'm doing better. i have been canning like mad.

if you'd like, tell us your how's and why's. learning to preserve food is one of the most important skills a person can learn.

if you have a picture of your preserved foods uploaded, let me know and i'll post it for you.

so far this year, we have canned...

green beans
yellow wax beans
peas
peaches
plums
zuchinni
sweet pickle relish

i'm going to try making my own fruit pie filling.

trying my hand at canning potatoes also.

finished the green beans while i was trying to write this. 14 quarts and 15 pints.

some of our canned goods. i have many in boxes and on shelves.

these were done a few days ago.

canningtg

plumstg

peachtg

gbeanstg

bump
www.youtube.com/clandestinetimelord
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1489573
United States
08/27/2011 12:41 AM
Report Abusive Post

Stir Fry
Mixed Vegetables
Rancho Blend
Soup veggie mix

It
It's very simple, you just open the bag and spread it out over the dehydrating tray. It s already blanched, so there is no work involved. There are plenty of vids on youtube.
eleyna2011

User ID: 883595
Puerto Rico
08/27/2011 12:51 AM

Report Abusive Post
I'm happy to see I am not the only "mad canner" lol.

You can also check the lids by taping on the top, if they talk back? They haven't sealed.

Happy canning!!!hf
suvalley

User ID: 258349
United States
08/27/2011 01:02 AM
Report Abusive Post
198 jars and counting, lol

This weekend, the big jelly and jam jam....about three gallons of rhubarb, two of blackberry, and about four gallons of raspberries to process. Plus, about 40 pounds of salmon, plain versus smoked.

Will have more green beans to do shortly, plus zucchini relish, and then there are the spuds.......

I'd say I was right on target for my usual 500 jars ;)
Anonymous Coward
United States
08/27/2011 01:12 AM
Report Abusive Post

This weekend, the big jelly and jam jam....about three gallons of rhubarb, two of blackberry, and about four gallons of raspberries to process. Plus, about 40 pounds of salmon, plain versus smoked.

Will have more green beans to do shortly, plus zucchini relish, and then there are the spuds.......

Quoting: suvalley

Yumm! I did not even think about Salmon!
Dark Age

User ID: 1121255
United States
08/27/2011 01:16 AM
Report Abusive Post
Thanks for that, i'm going to try it. I am thinking it would be ok if you lost power, whereas frozen would spoil.
bump

yeah, the biggest draw for me on canning, is being able to keep food if the grid was to go down.

i went through hurricaine ike and we didn't have power for 12 days. it was awful. i was the only person on the entire block who had a gas stove. i cooked for many people. then all our stuff went bad. it was awful.

i learned the hard way. now i'm taking advantage of the fact that i have all the canning stuff and the produce for the most part. i'm going to start canning all year around.

Good advice as Irene is coming. I wanted to do some canning but a fucking woodchuck destroyed our whole garden. I might can him just yet.

Anyone canned sausage i heard it can be done?
Freedom requires breathing room, the Constitution presupposes that there will be some crazies among us so that the rest of us can enjoy freedom. - Judge Andrew Napolitano

A huge shit cloud is coming!
tinygreen  (OP)

United States
08/27/2011 08:49 AM
Report Abusive Post
I'm happy to see I am not the only "mad canner" lol.

You can also check the lids by taping on the top, if they talk back? They haven't sealed.

Happy canning!!!hf
 Quoting: eleyna2011

clapping happy canning to you!!

(sapp vs tallahassee)
tinygreen  (OP)

United States
08/27/2011 08:53 AM
Report Abusive Post

worship i'll have to can like mad to catch up to you!! you area a canning champ!!

dancingtrio

are you straining your raspberries or going with whole one?

how do you smoke your fish?

Last Edited by Tiny Green on 08/27/2011 08:54 AM

(sapp vs tallahassee)
tinygreen  (OP)

United States
08/27/2011 08:57 AM
Report Abusive Post

Yumm! I did not even think about Salmon!

mom ususally cans salmon, but dad has been to weak to fish so far this year. if we get salmon this year, it will be from my aunt and uncle.

tasty salmon patties in the winter time!! smilecloud

(sapp vs tallahassee)
tinygreen  (OP)

United States
08/27/2011 09:01 AM
Report Abusive Post
Thanks for that, i'm going to try it. I am thinking it would be ok if you lost power, whereas frozen would spoil.
bump

yeah, the biggest draw for me on canning, is being able to keep food if the grid was to go down.

i went through hurricaine ike and we didn't have power for 12 days. it was awful. i was the only person on the entire block who had a gas stove. i cooked for many people. then all our stuff went bad. it was awful.

i learned the hard way. now i'm taking advantage of the fact that i have all the canning stuff and the produce for the most part. i'm going to start canning all year around.

Good advice as Irene is coming. I wanted to do some canning but a fucking woodchuck destroyed our whole garden. I might can him just yet.

Anyone canned sausage i heard it can be done?
 Quoting: Dark Age

yes, sausage is cannible. this video is for wild game, but can be used with other meat.

i remember your thread on the woodchuck. i'm so very sorry that happened. you might get some good deals at farmers markets, unless your right on the east coast.

(sapp vs tallahassee)
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1523148
United States
08/27/2011 09:03 AM
Report Abusive Post
Just make sure you have some lemon juice in there before sealing. You sure as hell don't want that botulism shit inside you.
tinygreen  (OP)

United States
08/27/2011 09:03 AM
Report Abusive Post

Stir Fry
Mixed Vegetables
Rancho Blend
Soup veggie mix

It
It's very simple, you just open the bag and spread it out over the dehydrating tray. It s already blanched, so there is no work involved. There are plenty of vids on youtube.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1489573

i'm going to try this method. things are only easy when you know what you're doing!! i'll be learning a whole new skill. cheer

(sapp vs tallahassee)
tinygreen  (OP)

United States
08/27/2011 09:05 AM
Report Abusive Post
Just make sure you have some lemon juice in there before sealing. You sure as hell don't want that botulism shit inside you.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1523148

yes. food prep is very important. salt is also good. i've never gotten sick from home canned food. yet.

thanks for the tip. we need as much advise as possible!!

(sapp vs tallahassee)
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1523148
United States
08/27/2011 09:11 AM
Report Abusive Post

yes. food prep is very important. salt is also good. i've never gotten sick from home canned food. yet.

I just canned about 50 lbs. of fresh blueberries and put in about a 1/4 cup of lemon juice in the bell jars. Some lids still popped after an hour of pressure cooking, so I did it all over again. No problem.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1225932
United States
08/27/2011 09:11 AM
Report Abusive Post
last year i canned for the first time. wow, i was nervous.

this year, i'm doing better. i have been canning like mad.

if you'd like, tell us your how's and why's. learning to preserve food is one of the most important skills a person can learn.

if you have a picture of your preserved foods uploaded, let me know and i'll post it for you.

so far this year, we have canned...

green beans
yellow wax beans
peas
peaches
plums
zuchinni
sweet pickle relish

i'm going to try making my own fruit pie filling.

trying my hand at canning potatoes also.

finished the green beans while i was trying to write this. 14 quarts and 15 pints.

some of our canned goods. i have many in boxes and on shelves.

these were done a few days ago.

Brings back memories of my grandparents half-acre garden and my parents quarter acre. Spent hours snapping beans.
I don't see tomatoes on your list. Always great to grab a jar of canned tomatoes in February, too.

Another prolific producer is okra. At least it was in Illinois. Don't know about the red clay in North Carolina.
Madame X

User ID: 1442220
Canada
08/27/2011 09:12 AM
Report Abusive Post
Nice stash tinygreen.

I used to do a lot of preserving and canning when the kids were young.

Your pics are making my mouth water.
"The wise man's home is the universe." ~ Democrites

Catch the blue train...somewhere down that crazy river.
Swan Song

User ID: 1520692
Australia
08/27/2011 09:16 AM
Report Abusive Post
wow that's some impressive canning there!I only managed to make a few jars of jam this year but I would love to make more. I really like these websites for tips and ideas for canning and dehydrating food, hope you find them useful too.

[link to www.food.com]
(if you go to near the bottom of the page you can click on the link for the canning and preserving forum)

[link to www.trailcooking.com]
To the world I am just a number, but the Lamb of God He knows me by my name.
tinygreen  (OP)

United States
08/27/2011 09:41 AM
Report Abusive Post

I just canned about 50 lbs. of fresh blueberries and put in about a 1/4 cup of lemon juice in the bell jars. Some lids still popped after an hour of pressure cooking, so I did it all over again. No problem.

holy shit!! 50 lbs!! that's wonderful!! lucky person you!!

told my mom about the ball jar lid video and she said we'll have to check them from now on.

blueberries are very good for health. don't tell the fda though. they might go the way of elderberries, walnut and all foods good for humans.

(sapp vs tallahassee)
tinygreen  (OP)

United States
08/27/2011 09:45 AM
Report Abusive Post
Brings back memories of my grandparents half-acre garden and my parents quarter acre. Spent hours snapping beans.
I don't see tomatoes on your list. Always great to grab a jar of canned tomatoes in February, too.

Another prolific producer is okra. At least it was in Illinois. Don't know about the red clay in North Carolina.
 Quoting: Zetetic

good memories keep us going. i still have multicolored finger nails right now.

we are getting ready to do tomatoes next week. we may do a small batch today. then i'll be making tomato sauce with and without meat. that was a recommendation from another poster. it will taste great!

because my parents were sick a great deal last winter we still have some tomatoes. but i feel you can almost never have enough canned foods. flower

(sapp vs tallahassee)
tinygreen  (OP)

United States
08/27/2011 09:46 AM
Report Abusive Post
Nice stash tinygreen.

I used to do a lot of preserving and canning when the kids were young.

Your pics are making my mouth water.
 Quoting: Madame X

thanks! hf my stash is getting bigger every day. the peaches are just fabulous this year. we used red haven peaches.

get to canning again! our family's may need this stuff. and it tastes great too.

(sapp vs tallahassee)
tinygreen  (OP)

United States
08/27/2011 09:48 AM
Report Abusive Post
wow that's some impressive canning there!I only managed to make a few jars of jam this year but I would love to make more. I really like these websites for tips and ideas for canning and dehydrating food, hope you find them useful too.

[link to www.food.com]
(if you go to near the bottom of the page you can click on the link for the canning and preserving forum)

[link to www.trailcooking.com]
 Quoting: Swan Song

thanks so much for the tips and links. always good to have multiple sources. heartballons

i haven't made any jam yet and i'm not happy about that. mom only wants to do freezer jam and i want to can everything. i hope i win soon so i don't miss out on jam.

(sapp vs tallahassee)
tinygreen  (OP)

United States
08/27/2011 10:11 AM
Report Abusive Post
this is our canning bible. my mom was given this book as a freshman in high school in 1953.

i love this booklet!!

kerrcanbook

here's part of my pantry. we also have boxes of stuff and have other items at our farm.

tgpantry1

tgpantry2

(sapp vs tallahassee)
tinygreen  (OP)

United States
08/27/2011 10:30 AM
Report Abusive Post
i can't stop laughing at this guy. too, too amusing.

i'd try it.

(sapp vs tallahassee)

GLP