>>>>Sustainable Living PLUS Canning and Dehydrating Food<<<<

tinygreen  (OP)

User ID: 427545
United States
08/28/2011 02:42 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: >>>>Sustainable Living PLUS Canning and Dehydrating Food<<<<
So at 145-150 F, as compared to a dehydrator at 100 F requiring on average 18 hours to dehydratre, oven dehydration would be 25% faster. Am I on the right track?
 Quoting: redlicorice

i'm hoping an expert at this will respond. this is not a skill i have yet. i need to start researching.

right now i'm waiting for my mom to feel ready to start doing peaches. she's slown down a great deal in the last year and i have to be delicate about her feelings. she has been a very strong and determined person. she has worked very hard her entire life and it's tough on her pride not to be able to do everything herself. we have worked out to be a good team though.

i can bend like the willow. flower.
 Quoting: tinygreen

No. All decent Dehydrators have temp control and sorry but I dehydrate at 130-135F and it takes about 10 hours.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1509978

thank you, expert AC 1509978! heartballons i knew someone would come through for us.
'it is not the duty of the police to protect you. their job is to protect THE CORPORATION and arrest code breakers.'

(sapp vs tallahassee)
tinygreen  (OP)

United States
08/28/2011 02:43 PM
Report Abusive Post
I like this sun dehydrator construction for our cold Canadian climate. I wish we had a carpenter in the family.
:(

wow! that thing is the shiznit!!!
'it is not the duty of the police to protect you. their job is to protect THE CORPORATION and arrest code breakers.'

(sapp vs tallahassee)
redlicorice

User ID: 1524894
Canada
08/28/2011 02:44 PM
Report Abusive Post
I like this sun dehydrator construction for our cold Canadian climate. I wish we had a carpenter in the family.

Ain't it though.
Writer's Block
tinygreen  (OP)

United States
08/28/2011 02:45 PM
Report Abusive Post
I also processed a bunch of tomatoes into sauce...good stuff. Pick up a Roma Tomato mill (or similar) and you can make sause real quick. You can water bath for this, but have to add some lemmon juice (two table spoons/qt). Or you can pressure process without the lemmon juice.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1424331

wow, that sounds great! we have a mixed bunch of tomatoes this year. i haven't decided what to make with them yet, but tomato sauce sounds like a fabulous idea. make some with meat and some without.

great idea!! dancingtrio

we had a bunch of tomatoes this year. i made sauce; and the easiest thing to do with them is roast them in the oven, skins and all, with a little olive oil on 450 degrees for 30 minutes or so and then can them like that. you can use the roasted tomatoes anytime and they aren't all watered down.
 Quoting: furball

thank you! i will try the roasted tomatoes. that sounds very tasty.

will agrue with mom when i have to.bacup

(sapp vs tallahassee)
tinygreen  (OP)

United States
08/28/2011 02:48 PM
Report Abusive Post

Ain't it though.

you'd have to be super crafty to build that. would be worth it.

i'm secretly working on a chicken coop for 4 chickens. my dad is not cool with the idea of chicken keeping. we've done it before when i was small.

i don't think i could build the shiznit myself! hf

(sapp vs tallahassee)
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 942369
United States
08/28/2011 02:53 PM
Report Abusive Post
Good job. Well done. :)
tinygreen  (OP)

United States
08/28/2011 02:54 PM
Report Abusive Post
Just a reminder if you're stocking up for when TSHTF. Meats can also be canned...in broth/gravy/sauces. Lots of directions online. I'm using small 8 oz. jars for those since there are only two of us. A small jar of beef cubes in gravy can easily be stretched into a big post of soup in desperate times.
 Quoting: weegie

that is extremely clever. i have a number of large glass jars full of bullion. i should start stocking up heavy on corn starch also, methinks.

we are canning chicken next week and beef after.

(sapp vs tallahassee)
tinygreen  (OP)

United States
08/28/2011 02:56 PM
Report Abusive Post
Good job. Well done. :)
 Quoting: NightWisp

thank you. it's for all of us. we need to put our heads together for our family's.

grouphug

(sapp vs tallahassee)
tinygreen  (OP)

United States
08/28/2011 02:58 PM
Report Abusive Post
Loads of apples again so I'm going to make apple chips. I've done them before but this year I want to try adding sugar and cinnamon.

Apple Chips
· Peel the apples, if desired. Cut the core out, using the apple corer or a knife.
Slice the apples into thin rings between 3/16 inch and 1/4 inch thick.
Add 1 tbsp. lemon juice to 1 cup of water in a large, shallow bowl.
Dip the apple slices into the water and lemon. This will prevent the apples from turning brown.
Pat the excess moisture from the apple rings with paper towels.
Lay the apple slices in a single layer in your food dehydrator, according to the manufacturer's directions.
Sprinkle the 1 tbsp. cinnamon, apple pie spice mix or sugar on top of the apple rings, if desired.
Dehydrate the apple rings for 8 to 10 hours at 135 degrees F, or until they are crispy.

I think I'm going to mix the sugar and cinnamon in a zip lock bag, add some apple slices and toss to coat and then dehydrate.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1375359

thank you so very much for the receipe and all instructions.

i have apple and pear trees. i believe i'll try this.

i'm breaking out the dehydrator tomorrow. mom says we have to rest today. rest? what the hell is that??

all the advise makes it that much easier for all of us. pheart

(sapp vs tallahassee)
tinygreen  (OP)

United States
08/28/2011 03:03 PM
Report Abusive Post
the peaches i canned last night.

peach827tg

the first jar on the left of the right section is a very old glass bottle. it was my grandma's. we'll save it for a special occasion.

(sapp vs tallahassee)
Waterbug

User ID: 1295673
United States
08/28/2011 03:12 PM
Report Abusive Post
Great thread, TG!

Just stocked up on ball jars.

I remember canning day at my grandmother's. Everybody helped, even if they were just stopping by for a chat. Soon they would be chipping in and grandmother never forgot to reward those present with some preserves.

I highly recommend the Foxfire series of books for those interested in learning the old ways from the elders themselves. [link to www.foxfire.org]

Last Edited by Waterbug on 08/28/2011 03:16 PM
truthw/setufree

User ID: 1503714
United States
08/28/2011 03:14 PM
Report Abusive Post
BEAUTIFUL!!!! and grandma knows
tinygreen  (OP)

United States
08/28/2011 03:20 PM
Report Abusive Post
Great thread, TG!

I remember canning day at my grandmother's. Everybody helped, even if they were just stopping by for a chat. Soon they would be chipping in and grandmother never forgot to reward those present with some preserves.

I highly recommend the Foxfire series of books for those interested in learning the old ways from the elders themselves. [link to www.foxfire.org]
 Quoting: Waterbug

what are you going to be canning? now's the time, i hope the weather stays cool. hotter than hades in the kitchen the last few weeks!

everyone who comes to our house lately has gone home with at least one jar of something.

i love gifting people with stuff i've made myself. makes you warm inside.

i'll check that series out. i need all the help i can get.hugs

(sapp vs tallahassee)
tinygreen  (OP)

United States
08/28/2011 03:23 PM
Report Abusive Post
BEAUTIFUL!!!! and grandma knows
 Quoting: truthw/setufree

this is sooooo true!!

i love hearing, 'no, grandma says...'!!! i laugh so hard knowing i'm the authority now.4ha

(sapp vs tallahassee)
Waterbug

User ID: 1295673
United States
08/28/2011 03:37 PM
Report Abusive Post
Great thread, TG!

what are you going to be canning? now's the time, i hope the weather stays cool. hotter than hades in the kitchen the last few weeks!

everyone who comes to our house lately has gone home with at least one jar of something.

i love gifting people with stuff i've made myself. makes you warm inside.

i'll check that series out. i need all the help i can get.hugs

I'm using the jars to store dry goods at the moment. I don't trust the store packaging. Hydroponic gardening is my food for the future. Learning to grow essentials first and then some tasty's. Hoop-house, as well. Anyone can build a hoop-house with a small amount of money. It is a greenhouse made with pvc pipe and plastic. Food by mansanto is not my style. I want non-genetically-modified groceries from now on. Jars for seed and jars for food. Guess that makes me a jar-head.

love
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1521533
United States
08/28/2011 03:41 PM
Report Abusive Post
I canned over 800 jars this year green beans, potatoes, tomatoes, pinto beans, purple hull peas, peach jelly, plum jelly, pickles, peppers, salsa.

It's my third year and I got a new canner that will do 19 quarts at one time, it's such a time saver.

I'm glad you started the thread, I love to can. I'm going to go back and read all the posts from the beginning.
Anonymous Coward
United States
08/28/2011 03:45 PM
Report Abusive Post
wow! just watched this video about canning lids. i'll be checking my lids more that's for sure.

well worth the time to watch.

I don't know why that snapping sound should be a valid test. It's one thing what happens when the lids are cold compared to when they are hot. I used Ball this year and everything sealed fine.
flavapor

User ID: 964647
United States
08/28/2011 03:46 PM

Report Abusive Post
this is a great thread
Anonymous Coward
United States
08/28/2011 03:46 PM
Report Abusive Post
(By the way, did you use a pressure cooker with the green beans or the bath method? I'd like to be able to trust the bath method.)
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1324356

I would NEVER trust water bath with green beans. You have to be able to get the food above boiling to be safe and you can only do that under pressure.
tinygreen  (OP)

United States
08/28/2011 03:48 PM
Report Abusive Post
I'm using the jars to store dry goods at the moment. I don't trust the store packaging. Hydroponic gardening is my food for the future. Learning to grow essentials first and then some tasty's. Hoop-house, as well. Anyone can build a hoop-house with a small amount of money. It is a greenhouse made with pvc pipe and plastic. Food by mansanto is not my style. I want non-genetically-modified groceries from now on. Jars for seed and jars for food. Guess that makes me a jar-head.

love

i remember you talking about hydroponics. i have 4 pieces of what could be the top of a greenhouse. i am looking into using it next year. think i could use wood for the posts instead of pvc? i already have the hoop top in pvc.

(sapp vs tallahassee)
tinygreen  (OP)

United States
08/28/2011 03:48 PM
Report Abusive Post
jar head! 4ha i guess we all are. too funny.

(sapp vs tallahassee)
tinygreen  (OP)

United States
08/28/2011 03:49 PM
Report Abusive Post
(By the way, did you use a pressure cooker with the green beans or the bath method? I'd like to be able to trust the bath method.)
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1324356

I would NEVER trust water bath with green beans. You have to be able to get the food above boiling to be safe and you can only do that under pressure.
 Quoting: TexasGirl

yeah, we did green beans under pressure. we did the peaches in water bath though.

(sapp vs tallahassee)
tinygreen  (OP)

United States
08/28/2011 03:51 PM
Report Abusive Post
I canned over 800 jars this year green beans, potatoes, tomatoes, pinto beans, purple hull peas, peach jelly, plum jelly, pickles, peppers, salsa.

It's my third year and I got a new canner that will do 19 quarts at one time, it's such a time saver.

I'm glad you started the thread, I love to can. I'm going to go back and read all the posts from the beginning.

dang!!! 19 quarts!! i want one of those!! right damn now. where did you get that?

you are a super canner. i admire that and am working to get to your level.

glad you like the thread. dancingtrio

(sapp vs tallahassee)
tinygreen  (OP)

United States
08/28/2011 03:55 PM
Report Abusive Post
wow! just watched this video about canning lids. i'll be checking my lids more that's for sure.

I don't know why that snapping sound should be a valid test. It's one thing what happens when the lids are cold compared to when they are hot. I used Ball this year and everything sealed fine.

my mom says as long as you slightly heat the lids in hot water you won't have a problem.

she said if there is no snap at all, just flat top, there might be a problem.

i've had about 5 quarts and 2 pints not seal so far. mom said that normal.

thanks for adding to this. i'm new so i listen to people who have actual experience. hugs

(sapp vs tallahassee)
Anonymous Coward
United States
08/28/2011 04:06 PM
Report Abusive Post
this is our canning bible. my mom was given this book as a freshman in high school in 1953.

i love this booklet!!

:kerrcanbook:

here's part of my pantry. we also have boxes of stuff and have other items at our farm.

:tgpantry1:

:tgpantry2:

BEAUTIFUL!!
Anonymous Coward
United States
08/28/2011 04:08 PM
Report Abusive Post

my mom says as long as you slightly heat the lids in hot water you won't have a problem.

she said if there is no snap at all, just flat top, there might be a problem.

i've had about 5 quarts and 2 pints not seal so far. mom said that normal.

thanks for adding to this. i'm new so i listen to people who have actual experience. hugs

Maybe that's why I've never had a problem - I've never had a jar not seal but I do put my lids in simmering water for about five minutes while I wipe the tops of my filled jars real good. It's also important that you not touch the seals or the jar top with your fingertips I've heard as the oil from your hands can become a factor and cause jars not to seal. I'm super careful to follow all the steps. I don't even cold pack just for safe measure.
Anonymous Coward
United States
08/28/2011 04:17 PM
Report Abusive Post

dang!!! 19 quarts!! i want one of those!! right damn now. where did you get that?

you are a super canner. i admire that and am working to get to your level.

glad you like the thread. :dancingtrio:

Here's a link, I ordered it from Amazon: [link to www.amazon.com]

If you're going to can a lot, you sure need one. I work my garden mostly by myself and it took me 9 hours to pick my green beans so I sure needed a short cut. This canner doesn't have a rubber seal either so it will NEVER wear out - I sure like that too. Oh, and it almost regulates itself - you put your jiggler on in one of three holes it has and the holes represent 5, 10 or 15 pounds. Once the cooker reaches that pressure it will jiggle more or less depending on how hot it is to keep it at the right pounds of pressure. It's so much more reassuring than having to keep fooling with the heat to keep it at the right pressure. The one thing I will say is this CANNER IS NOT FOR BEGINNERS and the reason I say that is the instructions assume you know a lot already just in the terminology it uses. Like "vent the cooker for five minutes" - my first canner said something like "watch carefully for steam to come out of the top of your canner and once you see a steady stream, set your timer for five minutes"

You talked about potatoes, I didn't want to can mine but I had a couple hundred pounds and they were doing fine until it just got so hot here all the time and then some began to rot so I just canned them to keep them from going bad. My onions are holding strong though and I think I'll have enough to last through the winter.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1525083
France
08/28/2011 04:19 PM
Report Abusive Post
dehydrated water !

ohyeah
Anonymous Coward
United States
08/28/2011 04:25 PM
Report Abusive Post
I have a tip that may help someone.

I keep all of my empty canning jars full of water at all times so I'll have water in the event of an emergency.
tinygreen  (OP)

United States
08/28/2011 04:27 PM
Report Abusive Post
Here's a link, I ordered it from Amazon: [link to www.amazon.com]

If you're going to can a lot, you sure need one. I work my garden mostly by myself and it took me 9 hours to pick my green beans so I sure needed a short cut. This canner doesn't have a rubber seal either so it will NEVER wear out - I sure like that too. Oh, and it almost regulates itself - you put your jiggler on in one of three holes it has and the holes represent 5, 10 or 15 pounds. Once the cooker reaches that pressure it will jiggle more or less depending on how hot it is to keep it at the right pounds of pressure. It's so much more reassuring than having to keep fooling with the heat to keep it at the right pressure. The one thing I will say is this CANNER IS NOT FOR BEGINNERS and the reason I say that is the instructions assume you know a lot already just in the terminology it uses. Like "vent the cooker for five minutes" - my first canner said something like "watch carefully for steam to come out of the top of your canner and once you see a steady stream, set your timer for five minutes"

You talked about potatoes, I didn't want to can mine but I had a couple hundred pounds and they were doing fine until it just got so hot here all the time and then some began to rot so I just canned them to keep them from going bad. My onions are holding strong though and I think I'll have enough to last through the winter.

thank you so much for the compliment on my pantry.

i'm going to show my mom the link, maybe we can get one.

i hear you about doing all the work. my dad has slowed down and i'm doing most of the garden work. he has been doing some of the picking though and that helps.

we are going to wrap most of our potatoes and put them in the root cellar basement at our farm. i'm putting onions down there also. hoping to do the same for the acorn squash and some of the peppers.

it's a great thing to have your own food all year around.bumphug

(sapp vs tallahassee)

GLP