08/28/2011 04:28 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: >>>>Sustainable Living PLUS Canning and Dehydrating Food<<<<
dehydrated water !

ohyeah
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1525083

hmmmmmm. maybe. lol.
'it is not the duty of the police to protect you. their job is to protect THE CORPORATION and arrest code breakers.'

(sapp vs tallahassee)
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1521533
United States
08/28/2011 04:29 PM
Report Abusive Post
As I'm going back through the thread I'm reading recipees and just want to remind everyone that the pounds at which you can depends on your altitude so please keep that in mind when you read someone's recipee and don't assume that you should be at the same pounds of pressure.
tinygreen  (OP)

User ID: 427545
United States
08/28/2011 04:30 PM
Report Abusive Post
I have a tip that may help someone.

I keep all of my empty canning jars full of water at all times so I'll have water in the event of an emergency.
 Quoting: TexasGirl

that is clever and practical. they just sit there, might as well be full of water.

great tip. pheart love it!
'it is not the duty of the police to protect you. their job is to protect THE CORPORATION and arrest code breakers.'

(sapp vs tallahassee)
tinygreen  (OP)

United States
08/28/2011 04:31 PM
Report Abusive Post
As I'm going back through the thread I'm reading recipees and just want to remind everyone that the pounds at which you can depends on your altitude so please keep that in mind when you read someone's recipee and don't assume that you should be at the same pounds of pressure.

that is a true truth! my friend in colorado does hers at a different pressure than i do mine here in michigan.

(sapp vs tallahassee)
Anonymous Coward
United States
08/28/2011 04:34 PM
Report Abusive Post
To my knowledge, you can't safely pressure can any flour based items-like pastas. The food companies can do this due to micro controlling temps/times/pressures that we can't get in our home kitchens. IOW you can't be sure that the needed temp (240 degrees? Something like that) will penetrate the contents evenly for the required amount of time to be safe from botulinum. I'd love to do it if I could, because we do indeed enjoy moose stew, lol

There IS one product, called ClearGel (NOT to be confused with the little boxes for jam and jelly!) which is approved as a thickener-I have a bunch of it, from when I lucked onto a case of apples one time. Made apple pie filling which is a BIG CHORE, lol

Remember that you must process your foods to the item that takes the longest-thus, if you are making spaghetti sauce with meats, you need to pressure process for the meat.

There are a bunch of USDA pdfs available, plus I can recommend Putting Food By, and the Ball Blue Book as basic guides. That said, when I have something I am not sure about processing...I always check with Jackie Clay :)

www.backwoodshome.com
 Quoting: suvalley

Good information. Do you know about dairy? I made potato soup the other day and I wanted to can some. I called my aunt who always has the answer and she didn't know. She said I should try it but I didn't want to go through the hassle without knowing if it would work. I had cheese, butter and milk in the soup.
Celia D.

User ID: 1495119
United States
08/28/2011 04:34 PM
Report Abusive Post
I admire your hard work and dedication - I can just imagine what anything I tried to "put up" would look like - botulism, anyone?

The best I can do is wait for canned goods sales at Walmart..
tinygreen  (OP)

United States
08/28/2011 04:40 PM
Report Abusive Post
I admire your hard work and dedication - I can just imagine what anything I tried to "put up" would look like - botulism, anyone?

The best I can do is wait for canned goods sales at Walmart..
 Quoting: Celia D.

to be perfectly honest, i'd probably be splattered all over the kitchen without my 75 year old mother helping me. i'm so new at all this, but i have hit the ground running.

it's expensive if you don't have the jars and canner. at least it would be to me. we have nearly an acre of garden and we have fruit trees.

i just bumble along, trusting that i can do anything. usually works for me. if i can do this, anyone with a bit of patience can do it.

cutiebump

(sapp vs tallahassee)
Anonymous Coward
United States
08/28/2011 04:40 PM
Report Abusive Post
this is my very favorite pickle recipe:
[link to www.foodnetwork.com]
tinygreen  (OP)

United States
08/28/2011 04:54 PM
Report Abusive Post
this is my very favorite pickle recipe:
[link to www.foodnetwork.com]

i'll go check it out. we have more cucumbers coming in next week.

i thought i was going to die if i saw one more cucumber after the triple batch of sweet pickle relish. ahhh

(sapp vs tallahassee)
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1266763
United States
08/28/2011 04:56 PM
Report Abusive Post
To my knowledge, you can't safely pressure can any flour based items-like pastas. The food companies can do this due to micro controlling temps/times/pressures that we can't get in our home kitchens. IOW you can't be sure that the needed temp (240 degrees? Something like that) will penetrate the contents evenly for the required amount of time to be safe from botulinum. I'd love to do it if I could, because we do indeed enjoy moose stew, lol

There IS one product, called ClearGel (NOT to be confused with the little boxes for jam and jelly!) which is approved as a thickener-I have a bunch of it, from when I lucked onto a case of apples one time. Made apple pie filling which is a BIG CHORE, lol

Remember that you must process your foods to the item that takes the longest-thus, if you are making spaghetti sauce with meats, you need to pressure process for the meat.

There are a bunch of USDA pdfs available, plus I can recommend Putting Food By, and the Ball Blue Book as basic guides. That said, when I have something I am not sure about processing...I always check with Jackie Clay :)

www.backwoodshome.com

Good information. Do you know about dairy? I made potato soup the other day and I wanted to can some. I called my aunt who always has the answer and she didn't know. She said I should try it but I didn't want to go through the hassle without knowing if it would work. I had cheese, butter and milk in the soup.

YES! You can in a pressure cooker! But omit the milk and add milk when you heat it up :)
tinygreen  (OP)

United States
08/28/2011 05:02 PM
Report Abusive Post

www.backwoodshome.com

YES! You can in a pressure cooker! But omit the milk and add milk when you heat it up :)
 Quoting: ADC

woohooADC to the rescue!! hugs

(sapp vs tallahassee)
Anonymous Coward
United States
08/28/2011 05:24 PM
Report Abusive Post

www.backwoodshome.com

Quoting: tinygreen

well I am making potato soup now and I also remembered when you buy most soups that are canned you add milk later. I looked it up and FDA says add the milk when you heat up soup . But I am a bit confused..they do sell canned milk? But pressure cook according to directions I am pressure cooking for 75 minutes 11 Pounds
:) Next is Cheesy potatoes!
tiomio

User ID: 1342668
Canada
08/28/2011 05:38 PM
Report Abusive Post
Just a hint for anyone making tomato sauce (with or without meat). I put the whole tomato in my blender and pulverize it thereby gaining the benefit of saving the skins and any vitamins they contain. This works great for sauces, no tough skins to deal with, and saves a lot of time taking the skins off. Even the seeds seem to pulverize as there are not many left when done with the blender.pump2

I like to make tomato sauce with meat, and it's so handy for a quick spaghetti dinner when in a hurry or unexpected dinner guests.
Tio
tinygreen  (OP)

United States
08/28/2011 05:44 PM
Report Abusive Post

well I am making potato soup now and I also remembered when you buy most soups that are canned you add milk later. I looked it up and FDA says add the milk when you heat up soup . But I am a bit confused..they do sell canned milk? But pressure cook according to directions I am pressure cooking for 75 minutes 11 Pounds
:) Next is Cheesy potatoes!

3 kinds of milk...powdered, condensed and evaporated.

i want a full update on the cheezy potatoes. that sounds sooo good.

Last Edited by Tiny Green on 08/28/2011 05:46 PM

(sapp vs tallahassee)
tinygreen  (OP)

United States
08/28/2011 05:45 PM
Report Abusive Post
Just a hint for anyone making tomato sauce (with or without meat). I put the whole tomato in my blender and pulverize it thereby gaining the benefit of saving the skins and any vitamins they contain. This works great for sauces, no tough skins to deal with, and saves a lot of time taking the skins off. Even the seeds seem to pulverize as there are not many left when done with the blender.pump2

I like to make tomato sauce with meat, and it's so handy for a quick spaghetti dinner when in a hurry or unexpected dinner guests.
 Quoting: tiomio

very good advise. keeping all the nutrients is so important. when i do my roasted tomatoes, i'll make sure to leave the skin on. we need those vitamins and minerals!!

(sapp vs tallahassee)
flavapor

User ID: 964647
United States
08/28/2011 07:57 PM

Report Abusive Post
I canned over 800 jars this year green beans, potatoes, tomatoes, pinto beans, purple hull peas, peach jelly, plum jelly, pickles, peppers, salsa.

It's my third year and I got a new canner that will do 19 quarts at one time, it's such a time saver.

I'm glad you started the thread, I love to can. I'm going to go back and read all the posts from the beginning.

dang!!! 19 quarts!! i want one of those!! right damn now. where did you get that?

you are a super canner. i admire that and am working to get to your level.

glad you like the thread. dancingtrio

Here's a link, I ordered it from Amazon: [link to www.amazon.com]

If you're going to can a lot, you sure need one. I work my garden mostly by myself and it took me 9 hours to pick my green beans so I sure needed a short cut. This canner doesn't have a rubber seal either so it will NEVER wear out - I sure like that too. Oh, and it almost regulates itself - you put your jiggler on in one of three holes it has and the holes represent 5, 10 or 15 pounds. Once the cooker reaches that pressure it will jiggle more or less depending on how hot it is to keep it at the right pounds of pressure. It's so much more reassuring than having to keep fooling with the heat to keep it at the right pressure. The one thing I will say is this CANNER IS NOT FOR BEGINNERS and the reason I say that is the instructions assume you know a lot already just in the terminology it uses. Like "vent the cooker for five minutes" - my first canner said something like "watch carefully for steam to come out of the top of your canner and once you see a steady stream, set your timer for five minutes"

I am a new to canning gal, and I bought this one. It was scary at first, but after a few chats on forums, I am comfortable with it, and I LOVE IT

You talked about potatoes, I didn't want to can mine but I had a couple hundred pounds and they were doing fine until it just got so hot here all the time and then some began to rot so I just canned them to keep them from going bad. My onions are holding strong though and I think I'll have enough to last through the winter.

I am a new to canning gal, and I bought this one. It was scary at first, but after a few chats on forums, I am comfortable with it, and I LOVE IT

I am going to attempt to grow potatoes this fall, I am in central Fla. It will be my first attempt, and my garden is ready, the eyes are looking good and almost ready to go in the ground, along with another round of green beans. I have tried to grow onions twice and they start out ok, but they die when the new growth gets to be about 4 inches, what I am doing wrong. I am using the end that would get otherwise thrown out.

On another note, if I dehydrate in my oven on "warm" or 200 degrees, would that work? I dont have a dehydrator
eleyna2011

User ID: 883595
Puerto Rico
08/28/2011 08:15 PM

Report Abusive Post
wow! just watched this video about canning lids. i'll be checking my lids more that's for sure.

well worth the time to watch.

Oh !im so pissed! I did the same thing as the lady and the Ball Lids SUCK! All the canning Ive done with them , my shit better not go bad!!! Good Find my friend on that video.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1467479

no shit. and i've been using them myself. i had 3 jars of beans not seal on the batch before last. now i'm wondering if it was the fucking lids. now i'm getting really pissed. i hadn't even connected my own dots. i'm a nit.

so, can we take them back? do we start a viral campaign against ball lids? i'm email and call them at the very least. and i'll be checking every damned one of them from now on.rant

This is EXTREMELY interesting! I pretty much stopped using "KERR" lids (and jars, most of which have come from friends with stuff in them, so one would naturally wash them and plan to re-use them) because I always seemed to have about 1/3 to 1/2 of whatever I canned to not seal. But I ALWAYS depended on BALL jars and lids.

So, what are we to do with the lids which don't "pop"? Can we take them back to the store? I doubt if they would take them back, and even if they did, the replacement box might be just as crappy! Lids are EXPENSIVE, and can't/shouldn't be used twice anyway (so one would consider them as a necessary cost of canning), but those lids in the video are BRAND NEW! What happened? Did they "outsource" their lid-making to CHINA for Pete's sake?

THANK YOU, TinyGreen, for this WONDERFUL thread. bump bump , 5 stars, "Suggest Pin" and a GREENIE for you!!

PS, your jars of preserved food look WONDERFUL!!!!
 Quoting: Eggcellent

The gold ball lids are still great. It is the silver ones that have given me hell. I just threw out another jar of pickles. You can test your seals, but I have noticed that even after I test them, I have to go back about a week later and make sure that they didn't pop.
tinygreen  (OP)

United States
08/28/2011 08:19 PM
Report Abusive Post
The gold ball lids are still great. It is the silver ones that have given me hell. I just threw out another jar of pickles. You can test your seals, but I have noticed that even after I test them, I have to go back about a week later and make sure that they didn't pop.
 Quoting: eleyna2011

i'll keep that in mind. we have some of both. all my peaches sealed last night and i used the ball gold widemouth type. we leave the stuff on the shelf for a week and then box it up.

great advise. woohoo

(sapp vs tallahassee)
Dr. House

User ID: 1398844
United States
08/28/2011 08:33 PM
Report Abusive Post
I've been canning for decades.

It helps to have a very early morning, say waking up at 3 AM, this way the heat of cooking/boiling isn't going to drive you out of the house.

I dry a lot of things, sun dried grapes (ergo raisins), sun dried tomatoes, etc. It helps having a low humidity and 90+F temperatures. I doubt sun drying is really an option for places back east with 80%+ humidity.

Drying: I use aluminum window 2 x 2 wooden frames. Sprayed with olive oil (to prevent sticking). I stack them three high, two trays with food, one tray on top as a cover.

I also pickle, cucumbers - nothing major.

As for canning fruit pie fillings...

Don't add that much sugar to the can, plan to add sugar when you bake the pie. Sugar tends to get an odd flavor when canned. Use the fruits juice. If you have a juicer then juice the peels and stuff from the fruit you do not usually save.

We have lemon trees, I use lemon juice (skin and all pulverized) in fruits that I am canning. 3/4 C lemon juice to a gallon of water. soak the sliced/diced fruit chunks 15-30 minutes. If you do it right, you will have your big bowl (not metal pot) with your lemon juice and water right there next to the cutting board. Cut up the fruit and add it to the bowl immediately, by the time you have finished cutting you only need to let it sit a few minutes more, while you are prepping the pressure cooker and sterilizing jars.
Sinkhole list:
Thread: Sinkholes Updated 28 Dec 2010
find a sinkhole, add it to this thread, please.

"Whoever hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him." (1 John 3:15, NKJV).
tinygreen  (OP)

United States
08/28/2011 08:34 PM
Report Abusive Post

I am going to attempt to grow potatoes this fall, I am in central Fla. It will be my first attempt, and my garden is ready, the eyes are looking good and almost ready to go in the ground, along with another round of green beans. I have tried to grow onions twice and they start out ok, but they die when the new growth gets to be about 4 inches, what I am doing wrong. I am using the end that would get otherwise thrown out.

On another note, if I dehydrate in my oven on "warm" or 200 degrees, would that work? I dont have a dehydrator
 Quoting: flavapor

glad to know i'm not the only newbie!!

growing potatoes is easy. we have bunches of them this year.

i think you have to plant an entire bulb for the onions, not just the bottom or top.

i'll see if i can find an oven dehydrating video.

i'll be back. herethere

(sapp vs tallahassee)
tinygreen  (OP)

United States
08/28/2011 08:39 PM
Report Abusive Post
I've been canning for decades.

It helps to have a very early morning, say waking up at 3 AM, this way the heat of cooking/boiling isn't going to drive you out of the house.

I dry a lot of things, sun dried grapes (ergo raisins), sun dried tomatoes, etc. It helps having a low humidity and 90+F temperatures. I doubt sun drying is really an option for places back east with 80%+ humidity.

Drying: I use aluminum window 2 x 2 wooden frames. Sprayed with olive oil (to prevent sticking). I stack them three high, two trays with food, one tray on top as a cover.

I also pickle, cucumbers - nothing major.

As for canning fruit pie fillings...

Don't add that much sugar to the can, plan to add sugar when you bake the pie. Sugar tends to get an odd flavor when canned. Use the fruits juice. If you have a juicer then juice the peels and stuff from the fruit you do not usually save.

We have lemon trees, I use lemon juice (skin and all pulverized) in fruits that I am canning. 3/4 C lemon juice to a gallon of water. soak the sliced/diced fruit chunks 15-30 minutes. If you do it right, you will have your big bowl (not metal pot) with your lemon juice and water right there next to the cutting board. Cut up the fruit and add it to the bowl immediately, by the time you have finished cutting you only need to let it sit a few minutes more, while you are prepping the pressure cooker and sterilizing jars.
 Quoting: Dr. House

thank you for the great advise and suggestions.

i wish i could wake my mom up at 3am, but she'd never do it. i'd have our entire house awake, but it would be okay with me.

i'll take your advise about not too much for sugar in the pie mix. i'll get some lemons for sure when we do the apples.

glad to have another person with experience speaking up. bravoyeah

(sapp vs tallahassee)
tinygreen  (OP)

United States
08/29/2011 12:54 PM
Report Abusive Post
i have 3 acres of lawn to mow today, so will not be canning. tomorrow we start the corn and if possible, tomatoes.

i plan on roasting some of the tomatoes, i really liked that idea.

wish me luck today, i'll be working on my farmer's tan. my ankles look like those people who do fake tan and forget their feet!! love my cutoff bib overalls. hayseed

(sapp vs tallahassee)
flavapor

United States
08/29/2011 06:26 PM

Report Abusive Post

i think you have to plant an entire bulb for the onions, not just the bottom or top.

i'll be back. herethere

what do you mean bulb? I am trying to gather the seeds from what I grew and plant them. I was told that you could grown onions by just putting the "garbage" in the dirt, like you do with a pineapple
Anonymous Coward
United States
08/29/2011 06:32 PM
Report Abusive Post

i'll be back. herethere

what do you mean bulb? I am trying to gather the seeds from what I grew and plant them. I was told that you could grown onions by just putting the "garbage" in the dirt, like you do with a pineapple

The onions can be planted by planting the smaller onions or Bulbs or you may gather seeds and plant them. The seeds grow on the leafy part of the onion after flowering. Ahead or bulb can be seen and is filled with tiny seeds :)
tinygreen  (OP)

United States
08/29/2011 07:23 PM
Report Abusive Post

The onions can be planted by planting the smaller onions or Bulbs or you may gather seeds and plant them. The seeds grow on the leafy part of the onion after flowering. Ahead or bulb can be seen and is filled with tiny seeds :)

thanks, ADC! appreciate the garden wisdom! bravoyeah

(sapp vs tallahassee)
flavapor

United States
08/29/2011 10:50 PM

Report Abusive Post

i'll be back. herethere

thanks. I did get them to grow seeds and flowers on green onions, but havent gotten that far on the regular ones.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1529921
New Zealand
08/31/2011 08:17 PM
Report Abusive Post
Hi tinygreen, your thread has grown alot.
I have been meaning to come back and say thanks.
I havent read whole thread yet, so you may have diaussed this already. But has anyone tried dehydrated feijoa. Its our favourite. very sweet like lollies. I think u call it candy. Kids love it because its so sweet.
By the way i read your other thread about kids handcuffed etc. Man i'm glad my boys homeschooled.
tinygreen  (OP)

United States
08/31/2011 08:28 PM
Report Abusive Post
I havent read whole thread yet, so you may have diaussed this already. But has anyone tried dehydrated feijoa. Its our favourite. very sweet like lollies. I think u call it candy. Kids love it because its so sweet.
By the way i read your other thread about kids handcuffed etc. Man i'm glad my boys homeschooled.
 Quoting: Tauranga

glad to hear from you again!hugs this thread grew like a plant and i hope will keep growing.hf

i've never even heard of feijora, is it a fruit? i'm going to have to look that up.

yeah, that school thread brought out some creeps, that's for sure.

i wish all my grans were homeschooled, but my eldest daughter is a nurse for a fragile children's unit at a middle school, so, she's not available to do that. if i were still in texas, i would be running a family homeschool. that's what we all had planned on, but with both my elderly parents ill, i came back to michigan.

i bet your boys are intelligent and well mannered. you have to be dedicated to do homeschool.

smart as well!heartballons

(sapp vs tallahassee)
tinygreen  (OP)

United States
08/31/2011 08:32 PM
Report Abusive Post
wow, i just read about feijoa. i might have to go into a city market and see if i can find this. i do love guava and the description i found said it's similar. new zealand is trying to commercialize them.

i love fruit and this sounds like a delicious one.

(sapp vs tallahassee)
tinygreen  (OP)

United States
08/31/2011 08:35 PM
Report Abusive Post
 Quoting: Tauranga

check out this page. it has feijora leathers or dehydrated fruit roll ups!!

[link to frugalkiwi.co.nz]

(sapp vs tallahassee)

GLP