>>>>Sustainable Living PLUS Canning and Dehydrating Food<<<<

tinygreen  (OP)

User ID: 427545
United States
08/31/2011 09:33 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: >>>>Sustainable Living PLUS Canning and Dehydrating Food<<<<
it's been a long day of doing corn today. i had a fight with my mom about freezing the corn. she doesn't want to can it because it takes 85 minutes under pressure. i said i would do all the work, but no.

so i gave in. we only did a bushel of corn and we froze 11 quart ziplocks of delicious corn.

my dad said he had only picked about a third of two rows(he goes back and forth) and we have 12 rows.

we also gave the senior center in a town nearby 3 bushels of green beans and 5 large paper bags of swiss chard. i love giving away the vegetables to the seniors.

we also took 3 bushels of beans and 5 bags of swiss chard to the local food pantry.

if people ate real food instead of fast food, the world would be in a much better place.

be sweet you all and keep putting food on the shelves. hercoffee
'it is not the duty of the police to protect you. their job is to protect THE CORPORATION and arrest code breakers.'

(sapp vs tallahassee)
flavapor

User ID: 964647
United States
09/01/2011 07:51 PM

Report Abusive Post
it's been a long day of doing corn today. i had a fight with my mom about freezing the corn. she doesn't want to can it because it takes 85 minutes under pressure. i said i would do all the work, but no.

so i gave in. we only did a bushel of corn and we froze 11 quart ziplocks of delicious corn.

my dad said he had only picked about a third of two rows(he goes back and forth) and we have 12 rows.

we also gave the senior center in a town nearby 3 bushels of green beans and 5 large paper bags of swiss chard. i love giving away the vegetables to the seniors.

we also took 3 bushels of beans and 5 bags of swiss chard to the local food pantry.

if people ate real food instead of fast food, the world would be in a much better place.

Quoting: tinygreen

where are you located, I am in Fl and our corn was done in June, but with a family of 7 we ate alot of it, and only froze 20 ears, and another 3 gallon sized bags of kernals that we took off the cob. I only have 2 of those bags left, I have been savoring them. We also had some creepy corn worms ruin some of it, but this was my first yr having a garden so I am stoked!!
tinygreen  (OP)

United States
09/01/2011 08:00 PM
Report Abusive Post

where are you located, I am in Fl and our corn was done in June, but with a family of 7 we ate alot of it, and only froze 20 ears, and another 3 gallon sized bags of kernals that we took off the cob. I only have 2 of those bags left, I have been savoring them. We also had some creepy corn worms ruin some of it, but this was my first yr having a garden so I am stoked!!
 Quoting: flavapor

i'm in michigan and we were late in planting our garden this year. my dad has had cancer and it was slow going.

wow! family of 7 to feed. that's a crew! we were 9 when i was a kid.

we were going to freeze more corn today, but it's been really hot and my mom wanted to rest today, maybe tomorrow. we have to get it done soon though, as the raccoons are into it now.

i haven't seen any worms yet, but last year there were quite a few of them.

we try to save our stuff for the ass freezing winters. i'm hoping the lima beans will be ready soon and we can freeze or can some limas and corn together. tasty when you're stuck in the house.hf
'it is not the duty of the police to protect you. their job is to protect THE CORPORATION and arrest code breakers.'

(sapp vs tallahassee)
flavapor

United States
09/01/2011 08:51 PM

Report Abusive Post

i'm in michigan and we were late in planting our garden this year. my dad has had cancer and it was slow going.

wow! family of 7 to feed. that's a crew! we were 9 when i was a kid.

we were going to freeze more corn today, but it's been really hot and my mom wanted to rest today, maybe tomorrow. we have to get it done soon though, as the raccoons are into it now.

i haven't seen any worms yet, but last year there were quite a few of them.

we try to save our stuff for the ass freezing winters. i'm hoping the lima beans will be ready soon and we can freeze or can some limas and corn together. tasty when you're stuck in the house.hf

Sorry to hear about your dad, hope his prognosis is good. We are actually 5, with 2 who moved out and came back due to loss of jobs, they got new ones but not making what they were. The other two are family friends who have no other family anymore and fell on hard times also,
tinygreen  (OP)

United States
09/01/2011 08:57 PM
Report Abusive Post
Sorry to hear about your dad, hope his prognosis is good. We are actually 5, with 2 who moved out and came back due to loss of jobs, they got new ones but not making what they were. The other two are family friends who have no other family anymore and fell on hard times also,

thank you very much on my dad's behalf. he has been considered 'cancer free' for about 4 months. he's lost a great deal of strength and it's been tough on all of us.

you are a good person to help your family and others.hugs it's very important to help others when we can, as we may be next in line for help. know that i know you are a good person.

i'm so tired tonight. it's almost 9 and i can't seem to keep my eyes open. i better get to bed, damn clock rings so early! alarmclock

(sapp vs tallahassee)
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 891075
United States
09/01/2011 08:59 PM
Report Abusive Post
TG I haven't read all of the posts, so it may have been mentioned befor. Can meat and potatoes. High protein and low in toxins.
flavapor

United States
09/01/2011 09:01 PM

Report Abusive Post

thank you very much on my dad's behalf. he has been considered 'cancer free' for about 4 months. he's lost a great deal of strength and it's been tough on all of us.

you are a good person to help your family and others.hugs it's very important to help others when we can, as we may be next in line for help. know that i know you are a good person.

i'm so tired tonight. it's almost 9 and i can't seem to keep my eyes open. i better get to bed, damn clock rings so early! alarmclock

Have a good night sleep. My brother in law just went thru chemo and radiation for throat cancer, I went to help out for the treatments since my sister in law works and her insurance is what paid for it all. It is very hard for us to wait on results, his next pet scan is two weeks from now, I hope he is as lucky as your dad.
tinygreen  (OP)

United States
09/01/2011 09:04 PM
Report Abusive Post
TG I haven't read all of the posts, so it may have been mentioned befor. Can meat and potatoes. High protein and low in toxins.
 Quoting: Drendwire

thank you so much!hf

we are canning chicken soon and then beef. we are also going to can potatoes, they are still in the ground.

i'm also going to try to put some potatoes, apples, onions and pears in our root cellar at our farm. i've never tried that before and i need to do more research before i try it.

high in protein and low in toxins are the best of healthy eating. heartballons

(sapp vs tallahassee)
tinygreen  (OP)

United States
09/01/2011 09:10 PM
Report Abusive Post
Have a good night sleep. My brother in law just went thru chemo and radiation for throat cancer, I went to help out for the treatments since my sister in law works and her insurance is what paid for it all. It is very hard for us to wait on results, his next pet scan is two weeks from now, I hope he is as lucky as your dad.

i am so sorry for your b/i/l. i will speak of him to the creator tonight. we were lucky we had a hugh crew of people who helped us get my mom and dad back on their feet. it's scary and exhausting to have to wait for those test results. my mom has pulmonary scarring from an antibiotic that had her taking for 3 years. wtf, 3 years? it has caused her to be on oxygen 95% of the time.

i'm glad there is insurance to help him. the cost of cancer if you have no insurance is death.

much love to you and yours.kittyhugz

(sapp vs tallahassee)
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 891075
United States
09/01/2011 09:21 PM
Report Abusive Post
Just an old Tennessee boy. 65 to 70 degree.cellar. Apples Pears packed in straw. Pickles in urns or barrels. Potatoes on a table to allow ventilation. Peppers strung to dry.
I just slow cook meat and some time potatoes in slow cooker then move them to the caners.Shelf time for this type of canning is 2+years. Good for me. I dehydrate scrambled eggs and seal cheese in vacuum packs. I have enough food preserved for 4 people to last 2 years.
tinygreen  (OP)

United States
09/01/2011 09:35 PM
Report Abusive Post
Just an old Tennessee boy. 65 to 70 degree.cellar. Apples Pears packed in straw. Pickles in urns or barrels. Potatoes on a table to allow ventilation. Peppers strung to dry.
I just slow cook meat and some time potatoes in slow cooker then move them to the caners.Shelf time for this type of canning is 2+years. Good for me. I dehydrate scrambled eggs and seal cheese in vacuum packs. I have enough food preserved for 4 people to last 2 years.

worshipdang!!! i want you for my guru!!

thank you so much for your good advise. great to have an old tennessee boy helping us out!!

so i leave the potatoes out on a table? can i use a wire rack with wood or something on it?

the fruit in straw, do i put those in boxes or barrels?

i think the last time i canned beef, we just cut it up and then pressure cooked it, i could be wrong though.

i have cheese vacuum packed. how do you dehydrate eggs?

wow, i'm such a noob at all this. so glad i have people helping me get my stuff together.hugs

(sapp vs tallahassee)
flavapor

United States
09/01/2011 10:19 PM

Report Abusive Post

thank you so much for your good advise. great to have an old tennessee boy helping us out!!

so i leave the potatoes out on a table? can i use a wire rack with wood or something on it?

i think the last time i canned beef, we just cut it up and then pressure cooked it, i could be wrong though.

wow, i'm such a noob at all this. so glad i have people helping me get my stuff together.hugs

I want to know about the eggs too. I think you layer the fruit in the straw. I have heard straw and newspaper and fruit in layers like a lasagna, but want to hear about tennessee boys way. I was told the same way for potatoes (straw) in boxes.

So drendwire, can I make my food, such as stew and can it? Does it get overcooked when you actually eat it? I have not tried meat yet, but its on my list. Maybe I need a vacuum packer. How long does the cheese last if you do that?
tinygreen  (OP)

United States
09/01/2011 10:26 PM
Report Abusive Post

I want to know about the eggs too. I think you layer the fruit in the straw. I have heard straw and newspaper and fruit in layers like a lasagna, but want to hear about tennessee boys way. I was told the same way for potatoes (straw) in boxes.

So drendwire, can I make my food, such as stew and can it? Does it get overcooked when you actually eat it? I have not tried meat yet, but its on my list. Maybe I need a vacuum packer. How long does the cheese last if you do that?

thank you and good questions. i hope he comes back to help us.

(sapp vs tallahassee)
tinygreen  (OP)

United States
09/01/2011 10:27 PM
Report Abusive Post
see, an hour and a half later and i'm still on glp.

i guess i'll be passing out still typing, as usual.chuckle

(sapp vs tallahassee)
tinygreen  (OP)

United States
09/02/2011 09:48 AM
Report Abusive Post
wow! just watched this video about canning lids. i'll be checking my lids more that's for sure.

well worth the time to watch.

so i received a reply from Jarden yesterday on the Ball lid issue. here's what they said...

Thank you for contacting Jarden Home Brands. We are happy to assist.

Our lids no longer have a large button that clearly makes a “popping” sound when pressed. They have a flexible center that should flex down when pressed.

After the jars have cooled 12 to 24 hours, test the lids to determine if a vacuum seal has formed. The best method for testing a seal is to press the center of the lid to determine if it is concave, then remove the band and gently try to lift the lid off with your fingertips. If the center does not flex up and down and you cannot lift the lid off, the lid has a good vacuum seal.

Please let us know when we may be of service.

Sincerely,

Jarden Home Brands

so this is what they are going with. i'm still watching hard for lids not sealing.

(sapp vs tallahassee)
AWFEKKIT

User ID: 943045
United States
09/03/2011 08:56 AM

Report Abusive Post
Great thread, OP.

This if my first year of canning. I can't believe how easy it is!

To those concerned with spoilage, here's my advice (and I researched the heck out of this before I ever attempted it): the key to success is make sure everything is sanitary. Don't re-use lids, although it is okay to re-use bands. Sterilize everything in the hot water bath, including lids and bands. Never touch the part of the band that seals with the jar and always wipe the rim of jars after filling. So far, this has worked for me.

Now to get back to those dill pickles I've been working on this morning!
CrimsonBleu

User ID: 1066943
United States
09/03/2011 09:16 AM

Report Abusive Post
I have been using the Tattler re-usable lids. Be careful to follow the directions properly. If you do, they'll last forever!

These guys are in Indiana I think, but they get your order out pretty fast and I like the prices too. I haven't lived a lifetime with the lids yet, but I'v had them for several months and so far, so good.
[link to www.mypatriotsupply.com]
CrimsonBleu

United States
09/03/2011 09:18 AM

Report Abusive Post
Great thread, OP.

To those concerned with spoilage, here's my advice (and I researched the heck out of this before I ever attempted it): the key to success is make sure everything is sanitary. Don't re-use lids, although it is okay to re-use bands. Sterilize everything in the hot water bath, including lids and bands. Never touch the part of the band that seals with the jar and always wipe the rim of jars after filling. So far, this has worked for me.

Quoting: AWFEKKIT

You CAN re-use certain types of lids that are designed just for re-use. I just posted a link in the post above for the Tattlers I like to use! :)
tinygreen  (OP)

United States
09/03/2011 09:18 AM
Report Abusive Post
Great thread, OP.

thank you so much. this thread has had wonderful contributors and i can't say how much i've appreciated all the advise and receipes.

you are so right about making sure everything is clean. also using lids just once. we always use fresh lids, we have bands that have been used and cleaned well that are many years old.

i've forgotten a few times about wiping the jar top, but mom is right there to make sure i don't forget a step. i get better with each batch i put in the canner.

i bet your dill pickles will be delicious. wish i could taste one!!hf

(sapp vs tallahassee)
tinygreen  (OP)

United States
09/03/2011 09:20 AM
Report Abusive Post
I have been using the Tattler re-usable lids. Be careful to follow the directions properly. If you do, they'll last forever!

These guys are in Indiana I think, but they get your order out pretty fast and I like the prices too. I haven't lived a lifetime with the lids yet, but I'v had them for several months and so far, so good.
 Quoting: CrimsonBleu

wow! i'm going to check out the website. you never know when you'll need lids that last forever. if shtf, we would really need them.

thank you so much for the info and the link. hugs

(sapp vs tallahassee)
CrimsonBleu

United States
09/03/2011 09:20 AM

Report Abusive Post
I gotta do the bacon thing...but where can you find bacon at the price he got it for! WOW!
tinygreen  (OP)

United States
09/03/2011 09:21 AM
Report Abusive Post
Great thread, OP.

You CAN re-use certain types of lids that are designed just for re-use. I just posted a link in the post above for the Tattlers I like to use! :)

yep going to check them out right now.hf

(sapp vs tallahassee)
tinygreen  (OP)

United States
09/03/2011 09:22 AM
Report Abusive Post
I gotta do the bacon thing...but where can you find bacon at the price he got it for! WOW!

i'm going to go to our local meat market or to sam's and get the bacon bits and pieces. cheaper and tastes the same. it's just not as pretty, but if you're hungry it won't matter a bit.

(sapp vs tallahassee)
CrimsonBleu

United States
09/03/2011 09:28 AM

Report Abusive Post
Oh man, yellow squash and onions cooked in bacon! I could eat a mountain load of that! I have seen those bacon bits at Sams too and even bought them just for cooking with my squash! I forgot about that! Thanks!
tinygreen  (OP)

United States
09/03/2011 09:36 AM
Report Abusive Post
Oh man, yellow squash and onions cooked in bacon! I could eat a mountain load of that! I have seen those bacon bits at Sams too and even bought them just for cooking with my squash! I forgot about that! Thanks!

we have some squash that i'm going to try to store, but i might try to use some acorn squash with bacon. i already canned zuchinni.

dang, you've made me hungry!!hf

(sapp vs tallahassee)
AWFEKKIT

User ID: 943045
United States
09/03/2011 10:57 AM

Report Abusive Post
Great thread, OP.

WANT!
tinygreen  (OP)

United States
09/03/2011 11:22 AM
Report Abusive Post

the tattler site is a gold mine!!!!!!!!!!!!

thank you so much for the link. i truly appreciate it. hf

(sapp vs tallahassee)
tinygreen  (OP)

United States
09/03/2011 11:23 AM
Report Abusive Post
Great thread, OP.

WANT!

super cool and useful!!!!

(sapp vs tallahassee)
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1533663
United States
09/03/2011 12:23 PM
Report Abusive Post
Just an FYI for anybody wanting to stock up on milk.... you can order online from dollartree cases of milk-- reg., 2%, or skim. The milk is in boxes. It tastes the way milk used to taste years ago before they started adding hormones, etc. I'm not sure how this milk can stay on a shelf, but it can. Refrigerate before drinking and it can't be beat. I read the reviews and everybody likes it. I guess they use it for camping or whatever. But you can use it as you would any milk. There are no funky ingredients at all. This was the best find ever.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1533673
United States
09/03/2011 12:28 PM
Report Abusive Post
wow! just watched this video about canning lids. i'll be checking my lids more that's for sure.

well worth the time to watch.

i use these, much better then ball, and when tshtf you will always have lids.

[link to www.reusablecanninglids.com]

GLP