Godlike Productions - Discussion Forum
Users Online Now: 2,212 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 1,267,708
Pageviews Today: 2,116,396Threads Today: 856Posts Today: 15,098
08:09 PM

Rate this Thread

Absolute BS Crap Reasonable Nice Amazing

Best El Hierro Thread On GLP - Canary Islands - ACTIVITY HAS RETURNED - AGAIN!

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 8118980
Spain
02/14/2012 02:55 AM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: Best El Hierro Thread On GLP - Canary Islands - ACTIVITY HAS RETURNED - AGAIN!
[link to www.youtube.com]

[link to www.youtube.com]

Two videos of the flight over the stain yesterday.
Anonymous Coward
Spain
02/14/2012 05:13 AM
Report Abusive Post
Re: Best El Hierro Thread On GLP - Canary Islands - ACTIVITY HAS RETURNED - AGAIN!
earthquake-report.com

Update 14/02 – 08:55 UTC
- HT (harmonic tremor) has been at minimum all night
- The vent emission point is very visible on the webcam, although a strong surf is hampering visibility. Hopefully there are no SLS this morning because if the Salvamar Adhara would go out to the vent, it may lead to a very bad stomach feeling for the crew.
- 3 earthquakes since midnight UTC. Based on the location of the epicenters, we can conclude that the magma is till active and present from Frontera to the greater vent area to the south of La Restinga. The only difference with a couple of months ago, is that we have less earthquakes in the sea to the west of Frontera.
14/02/2012 00:42:01 Depth 17 km M 1.1 SW FRONTERA
14/02/2012 01:15:10 Depth 12 km M 1.6 W EL PINAR
14/02/2012 07:22:43 Depth 16 km M 1.1 SW EL PINAR
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 10767204
United States
02/14/2012 05:40 AM
Report Abusive Post
bump
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 10776973
Spain
02/14/2012 10:27 AM
Report Abusive Post
the la palma chart disturbs me.

this whole fucking situation disturbs me.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 10158135

The situation does not disturb me, and I live at La Isla Bonita! What you read here is nothing more then speculation. We are used to live at volcanic active ground, and it is logic that the magma is not only locally active as the magma is beneath the whole archipel. Actually we are lucky the lava flows out in the sea by El Hierro, as long as that is the case that is the reality, the rest are theories depending from which perpsective you look at it. Sometimes it seems people WANT something big to happen, how sick!
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 10488934

i don't CARE where you live to be honest.

a naysayer who lives on top of a volcano is just as dangerous as one who lives thousands of miles from it.

fact is, this is an anomalous event, in a location which has been plagued by island collapses in the recent geologic past.

you want to bury your head in the sand, that's fine. just don't get in our way whilst doing it, hmm?
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 10510449

The only fact we got is that an eruption at the ocean floor is going on. Don´t be so agressive, makes you look insure.
Define "recent" and explain why I as a person am dangerous?
Let me be clear that I also am following the happening as I am not naive. I know there is a risk but we have to stay realistic. I mean even boats passing by are suspicious terroristic, people move from the coast in the USA, WTF?? That´s pure panic!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 10771853
Russia
02/14/2012 10:36 AM
Report Abusive Post
"Important Update 14/02 – 13:58 UTC
- ER reader Max just wrote in the comments section that local newspaper Canarias 7 cites PEVOLCA that 2 active cones have been detected (probably during the latest bathymetry from the Ramon Margalef) in the current area"
Read more:
[link to earthquake-report.com]
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 2877994
United States
02/14/2012 04:47 PM
Report Abusive Post
Lots of strange new lights on the eruption cam. They appear to be stars maybe? But...they seem way too close and too low to the water. Any ideas? There are no boats in the area according to localizatodo.com

[link to 212.170.244.196]
Anonymous Coward
United States
02/14/2012 04:56 PM
Report Abusive Post
[link to hisz.rsoe.hu]

Not sure if we talked about this or not...volcanic eruption in eastern Africa
Anonymous Coward
United States
02/14/2012 04:57 PM
Report Abusive Post
Major sandstorm just east of the Canaries...in Africa

[link to hisz.rsoe.hu]
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 10788587
United Kingdom
02/14/2012 05:13 PM
Report Abusive Post
the la palma chart disturbs me.

this whole fucking situation disturbs me.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 10158135

The situation does not disturb me, and I live at La Isla Bonita! What you read here is nothing more then speculation. We are used to live at volcanic active ground, and it is logic that the magma is not only locally active as the magma is beneath the whole archipel. Actually we are lucky the lava flows out in the sea by El Hierro, as long as that is the case that is the reality, the rest are theories depending from which perpsective you look at it. Sometimes it seems people WANT something big to happen, how sick!

a naysayer who lives on top of a volcano is just as dangerous as one who lives thousands of miles from it.

fact is, this is an anomalous event, in a location which has been plagued by island collapses in the recent geologic past.

you want to bury your head in the sand, that's fine. just don't get in our way whilst doing it, hmm?

The only fact we got is that an eruption at the ocean floor is going on. Don´t be so agressive, makes you look insure.
Let me be clear that I also am following the happening as I am not naive. I know there is a risk but we have to stay realistic. I mean even boats passing by are suspicious terroristic, people move from the coast in the USA, WTF?? That´s pure panic!
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 10776973

the ones saying that are idiots though. we have every right to keep an eye on things, and whether or not you live there makes no difference.

IF the worst case scenario did happen, i'd want to be right on top of it, because it has the potential to affect me and my family.

i'm still not sure about any mega tsunami potential though, from an island collapse.

Define "recent"

there have been multiple collapses in the recent GEOLOGIC past. I'm talking before written human history, of course.

[link to img.over-blog.com]

they ALL happened during volcanic activity, so while this thing is rumbling, i'm watching it.

what you have to remember is thousands of years long dormant volcanoes, such as Chaiten in Chile, for some reason have decided to wake up recently, so events that happened long ago repeating now are not so far fetched really, are they?

even if this thread only saves a handful of people's lives who happen to read it, and manage to get out of the way of the wave, however unlikely it may be, it's done a good job.
Starwind

User ID: 4546990
United States
02/14/2012 05:18 PM
Report Abusive Post

Quoting: Anonymous Coward 10776973

the ones saying that are idiots though. we have every right to keep an eye on things, and whether or not you live there makes no difference.

IF the worst case scenario did happen, i'd want to be right on top of it, because it has the potential to affect me and my family.

i'm still not sure about any mega tsunami potential though, from an island collapse.

Define "recent"

there have been multiple collapses in the recent GEOLOGIC past. I'm talking before written human history, of course.

[link to img.over-blog.com]

they ALL happened during volcanic activity, so while this thing is rumbling, i'm watching it.

what you have to remember is thousands of years long dormant volcanoes, such as Chaiten in Chile, for some reason have decided to wake up recently, so events that happened long ago repeating now are not so far fetched really, are they?

even if this thread only saves a handful of people's lives who happen to read it, and manage to get out of the way of the wave, however unlikely it may be, it's done a good job.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 10788587

This is true. The event is unlikely and they only happen every X amount of years, but I've let a dozen people who live on the eastern seaboard know about this.

They had zero clue, no idea of the existence of this much less the danger, yet they will be more alert and possibly save lives in the event anything drastic happens.

Sure anyone expecting this thing to go off everytime a seismograph ticks may be reactionary, but this thread is probably the most informative source and will actually save lives in the event that some unpredictable series of events you or I can't fathom take place miles underground in an active volcanic area. As long as the possibility isn't 0% you can spend a few minutes acquainting yourself with the phenomenon and looking into it.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 5263313
United States
02/14/2012 06:42 PM
Report Abusive Post
I'm sticking here...not going anywhere. I realize the 'big event' happening may be unlikely, but it is also possible. Anyone in an area that would be affected would be wise to at least keep an ear/eye on the happenings in the Canaries. IMHO
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1890278
02/14/2012 11:26 PM
Report Abusive Post
I noticed that there are a lot of quakes these days and yet no real talk about it. We went for over a month of 0-2 quakes a day. Now we're back up to average of 9 or so...nobody mentioning this uptick and what it means.
Anonymous Coward
United States
02/15/2012 01:12 AM
Report Abusive Post
Despite the fact that IGN changes their information on a routine basis once it has been published on the internet, the pattern is still showing a very gradual rise in the depths of quakes. Averaging around the 15-19km deep range in the past few months, now, in the past few weeks, the range is up to around 8km deep. And, it's not just in the eruption area near Restinga/Pinar. The shallower depth quakes are also showing up in the Frontera region on the north and west sides of the island. Even the quakes on land are showing up more shallow. I think we can anticipate that this shallow depth will only grow more shallow. I also forsee, if this depth continues to rise to the surface of the ground, that we may in fact find multiple eruption sites eventually. We may have numerous vents forming.

[link to www.01.ign.es]

This list shows that once double digit depth quakes are now almost always in the single digit range. It is important to note...IGN often posts a depth much more shallow, down in the 3 or 4km depth range and then over the course of 12 hours or so, often changes the depth to 7 or 8km. I don't know they insist on doing this...especially when the deeper quakes rarely get their information changed at a later date.
Anonymous Coward
Spain
02/15/2012 02:42 AM
Report Abusive Post
jonfr.com/volcano

Over the past two weeks there has been interesting earthquake activity in El Hierro volcano in Canary Islands. What is so interesting about this earthquakes is the fact they are getting more shallow every day or so. Currently the most shallow activity that has been taking place is around 6km depth. But this is an rise from about 12 km depth.

What this means in my opinion is that magma is most likely rising to the surface at the location where the earthquakes are currently taking place (dike intrusions). This did happen before the first eruption in Eyjafjallajökull volcano. So it is an important to keep an eye on this earthquakes and where they happen, as eruption might take place in nearby area of this earthquakes. As magma might, and most likely is going find an clear path to the surface soon. The last part of that before an eruption might happen with no noticeable earthquakes at all. They might well be just over ML2.0 in magnitude or smaller.
Anonymous Coward
Spain
02/15/2012 02:44 AM
Report Abusive Post
Idgits

There have been six earthquakes today already !!!!

1126591 15/02/2012 01:50:54 27.6892 -18.0726 7.1 1.4 mbLg W EL PINAR.IHI
1126593 15/02/2012 02:26:24 27.6451 -18.0904 10.8 1.4 mbLg SW EL PINAR.IHI
1126605 15/02/2012 04:05:33 27.6548 -18.0571 2.0 mbLg SW EL PINAR.IHI
1126607 15/02/2012 04:15:10 27.6921 -18.0833 10.5 1.3 mbLg W EL PINAR.IHI
1126637 15/02/2012 05:02:09 27.6835 -18.0851 11.9 1.3 mbLg W EL PINAR.IHI

1126639 15/02/2012 05:21:51 27.7122 -18.0573 9.6 2.3 mbLg SW FRONTERA.IHI

25 minutes ago · Like · 4

Y alguno mas...
1126641 15/02/2012 05:45:47 27.6708 -18.1191 11 1.5 4 W EL PINAR.IHI
Anonymous Coward
Spain
02/15/2012 02:44 AM
Report Abusive Post
Sorry cant count its actually seven !
Anonymous Coward
Spain
02/15/2012 03:02 AM
Report Abusive Post
‎1126651 15/02/2012 06:28:28 27.7081 -18.0531 12 0.8 4 W EL PINAR.IHI [+] info... otro meneito. El sexto en casi dos horas y media.

‎1126651 15/02/2012 06: 28: 28 27.7081 - 18.0531 12 0.8 4 W EL PINAR.IHI [+] info... another meneito. The sixth in almost two and a half hours. (Translated by Bing)
Anonymous Coward
Spain
02/15/2012 04:30 AM
Report Abusive Post
earthquake-report.com

Update 15/02 – 08:55 UTC
- Minimal but still continuing harmonic tremor
- NO jacuzzi and NO visible stain on the webcam this morning
- Nightly webcam views : only stars at the horizon
- 2 2+ earthquakes since midnight. 9 earthquakes already today
Date Time Depth Magn Epicenter
15/02/2012 01:50:54 7 1.4 W EL PINAR
15/02/2012 02:26:24 11 1.4 SW EL PINAR
115/02/2012 04:05:33 10 2.0 SW EL PINAR
15/02/2012 04:15:10 10 1.3 W EL PINAR
15/02/2012 05:02:09 12 1.3 W EL PINAR
15/02/2012 05:21:51 10 2.3 SW FRONTERA
15/02/2012 05:45:47 11 1.5 W EL PINAR
15/02/2012 06:28:28 12 0.8 W EL PINAR
15/02/2012 06:30:49 10 0.9 W EL PINAR
List earthquakes
- the numbers above are clear signs that the pressuring magma is more active than ever, which will make the near future very unsure. Why ? The current eruption flow is not big enough to keep the pressure from below at the same level (increasing number and strength of earthquakes). If HT remains at the current low amplitude, the number and magnitude of earthquakes will gradually build up to several tens per day until it finds a way out. The same vent ? Nobody knows. All scenarios are possible at that moment, also the complete stop of the eruption.

-------------------------------------------------------------​-------------------
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1297814
Germany
02/15/2012 07:12 AM
Report Abusive Post
Hi all ,

Interesting earthquake activity in El Hierro volcano

Over the past two weeks there has been interesting earthquake activity in El Hierro volcano in Canary Islands. What is so interesting about this earthquakes is the fact they are getting more shallow every day or so. Currently the most shallow activity that has been taking place is around 6km depth. But this is an rise from about 12 km depth....

What this means in my opinion is that magma is most likely rising to the surface at the location where the earthquakes are currently taking place (dike intrusions). This did happen before the first eruption in Eyjafjallajökull volcano...

ReadMore:
[link to www.jonfr.com]
Anonymous Coward
Germany
02/15/2012 08:24 AM
Report Abusive Post
:NewUnderwaterMap:
ENLARGE:
[link to i1220.photobucket.com]

New underwater map a small cone is growing on the flank of the former active one and is now 75 meters “small”
(found on Jon'S Blog)
shenue

United States
02/15/2012 09:08 AM
Report Abusive Post
Good morning
Watch your thoughts; they become words. Watch your words; they become actions. Watch your actions; they become habits. Watch your habits; they become your character. Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
shenue

United States
02/15/2012 09:11 AM
Report Abusive Post
I'm sticking here...not going anywhere. I realize the 'big event' happening may be unlikely, but it is also possible. Anyone in an area that would be affected would be wise to at least keep an ear/eye on the happenings in the Canaries. IMHO
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 5263313

I keep managing to post after being signed out (without realizing it). Sorry. Anyway this was my post and is exactly how I feel about it.
Watch your thoughts; they become words. Watch your words; they become actions. Watch your actions; they become habits. Watch your habits; they become your character. Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 10838409
Portugal
02/15/2012 09:12 AM
Report Abusive Post
El Hierro – The Volcano that could
[link to volcanocafe.wordpress.com]
Anonymous Coward
Germany
02/15/2012 09:13 AM
Report Abusive Post
 Quoting: Luisport

ah big thx luishf

added this blog
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 10838409
Portugal
02/15/2012 09:17 AM
Report Abusive Post

ah big thx luishf

added this blog
 Quoting: IwantToBelieve76

You don't know it? It's great! Thank's for karma!hf
shenue

United States
02/15/2012 09:33 AM
Report Abusive Post

Thanks Luisport. Interesting read.
Anonymous Coward
United States
02/15/2012 10:23 AM
Report Abusive Post
:NewUnderwaterMap:
ENLARGE:
[link to i1220.photobucket.com]

New underwater map a small cone is growing on the flank of the former active one and is now 75 meters “small”
(found on Jon'S Blog)
 Quoting: IwantToBelieve76

Thanks for posting big guy...she seems to be getting more active!
Anonymous Coward
United States
02/15/2012 10:27 AM
Report Abusive Post
We're actually at 16 quakes for the day so far with 8.5 hours left to go!

[link to www.01.ign.es]

There have been 2 quakes in the 2.0+ range and most all of these quakes have been in the 10km range. In addition, they've almost all been in the south near the eruption area.
Anonymous Coward
Spain
02/15/2012 03:58 PM
Report Abusive Post
earthquake-report

Update 15/02 – 19:11 UTC
- 3 more earthquakes : we will from now on only change the number in the title.
Nobody knows what will happen next but CAP science center in La Restinga and IGN Madrid, who is following up the instruments via data link, will certainly be on a higher alert than normal.

Update 15/02 – 17:52 UTC
- 4 more earthquakes ! , which brings the total of listed earthquakes to 20 today, the most since many months !
- we have still a minimum HT signal which means that the eruption is still hoing
- NO jacuzzi or even stirring area anymore.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 10851369
United Kingdom
02/15/2012 04:30 PM
Report Abusive Post

'What one should look at is the 0.59Hz tremor given by EOSO and EGOM stations. That is probably the tremor from the deep feeding tube. It might even be from the mantle plume.'

GLP