Nip's solar/quake thread

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 12018334
United States
03/07/2012 10:05 AM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: Nip's solar/quake thread
well looky here, that supposed little cme that was coming in around 2 utc last night delivered a bigger punch than NASA suggested on spaceweather. [link to www2.nict.go.jp]

[link to www2.nict.go.jp]

Looks like the protons got to 30 for a bit, and bz touched on -20. This should do something with the quakes and may be wagging some of you.

Also the Cme with the x flare last night is not on stereo ahead, must have been out of contact, so we have only stereo B OR SOHO, so we wait and see. [link to stereo.gsfc.nasa.gov]

We are having a proton shower or whatever they call that showing on SOHO. OK I just checked spaceweather, they call it a solar radiation storm.

Also I just looked at lasco c3, the tail end of the cme is on it, but not intense at all, as to density of the thing. So even if it may glance earth, I don't think the counts will be real high anyway. We will wait and see.
einsteinsfly

User ID: 11573992
United States
03/07/2012 10:59 AM
Report Abusive Post
HAARP instruments are playing the tune of the storm. Indications looking like it's going to get loud.

[link to www.haarp.alaska.edu]
Anonymous Coward
United States
03/07/2012 01:31 PM
Report Abusive Post
HAARP instruments are playing the tune of the storm. Indications looking like it's going to get loud.

Quoting: einsteinsfly

wow, yep, huge ingress on the storm that was claimed initially on spaceweather to be wimpy.

[link to www.n3kl.org] huge depression on the electron counts too, which is not really depression, just that during proton storms they don't get counted right. data here for those not knowing is on weather satellites, which well inside the magnetosphere, so when these register the storms, you know they have "come in". big kp

Also the coronal hole is due to arrive march8/9 which will be additive to the CME from the X5 flare due tomorrow sometime too. If this cme arrives tomorrow it should show an appropriate high wind speed too. People made a big deal out of NOTHING when cme came in when I was on vacation, a Saturday evening, because the wind was not much affected. The WIND reflects how FAST a storm arrives. Wind can even decrease from where it was before the storm if the arrival is slow. On this CME that came in last night, it was running faster that the conditions before it hit, and then it suddenly dropped off, and the wind is down close to or less than 300 right now. It's just like your car if you accelerate or brake, which you measure in mph, in the us of a, other places generally km/per hour.

Solar Wind is measured as here: [link to www.swpc.noaa.gov] click on the dials for the actual current figures unless the ace satellite is down. this site also lets you know some other quick information.
Anonymous Coward
United States
03/07/2012 07:50 PM
Report Abusive Post
[link to www2.nict.go.jp] hmmmm sometimes that means a biggy storm is coming in, the little critter is all balled up. Also happens with high bz, the high bz sometimes is the magnetosphere trying to ward off the incoming blast. Isn't it predicted to arrive about 7 utc march 8, its almost 1 utc. well lets watch and see.

OK now spaceweather says 6:25 utc, + or - 7 hours
Anonymous Coward
United States
03/08/2012 10:44 AM
Report Abusive Post
[link to wdc.kugi.kyoto-u.ac.jp] CNN says this cme is here, no evidence on nict etc. but I am having odd internet issues, don't know it related or not, little short times with no signal.

but this indicates something may be arrived. who knows Ace is still reporting data and not showing anything indicating it is here. [link to www.swpc.noaa.gov]
Anonymous Coward
United States
03/08/2012 11:02 AM
Report Abusive Post
well cnn still says its here, and until the missing data is filled in for when soho is out of contact, the wind is apparently 700 there. [link to umtof.umd.edu]

let me go check haarp [link to www.haarp.alaska.edu] Ok my guess is CNN is right, and Ace is reporting garbage or is partially turned off, and if so they shouldn't be reporting garbage, it should be BLANK if they have turned it off or its out. this is suggestive something is going on. [link to www.n3kl.org]
Anonymous Coward
United States
03/08/2012 12:06 PM
Report Abusive Post
well maybe they do have ace shutdown, but then it should be showing nothing. oh well. It is being claimed now on spaceweather it hit at 11 utc.

CME IMPACT: A coronal mass ejection (CME) hit Earth's magnetic field on March 8th around 1100 UT. The impact was weaker than expected, sparking only a mild (Kp=5) geomagnetic storm. However, the storm could intensify in the hours ahead depending on electromagnetic conditions in the wake of the CME. High-latitude sky watchers should be alert for auroras. Aurora alerts: text, phone.
Anonymous Coward
United States
03/08/2012 01:40 PM
Report Abusive Post
Ok the missing data while soho was out of contact, is now up here" [link to umtof.umd.edu]

Protons went a little above 30 about 11 utc when the storm came in and is now around around 8 or so. the large count number only lasted about an hour or so.

the wind went to about 800, and now is about about 700.

[link to wdc.kugi.kyoto-u.ac.jp] AE index here went to maybe 1200. Medium short duration storm at this point.

No even worth al the hype put out. I have said often the intensity of any CME coming from a X ray Flare is not necessary related to the strength of the flare. This CME is much smaller than the "small one" that came in yesterday that Nasa said we got. The one yesterday was the more significant storm. You might want to take a glimpse at haarp to prove that one. [link to www.haarp.alaska.edu]

We will have to watch,, since supposedly 2 cme's came off, if there is another bump to come or not.
Anonymous Coward
United States
03/09/2012 11:08 AM
Report Abusive Post
well ACE is still reporting too accurately, look at the haarp magnetometer this morning. [link to www.haarp.alaska.edu]

So I went to SOHO [link to umtof.umd.edu] and there was a wind surge up towards 1000. I will check later for the missing data which they always place when soho is back in contact again. This is I assume the coronal hole.

[link to www.n3kl.org] a M flare a few hours ago. other data here suggestive of continuing activity.

[link to ccmc.gsfc.nasa.gov] OMG, I have NEVER seen this configuration on BATS R US before in the xz figure or the xy And I due check it during storms regularly. I will have to perhaps inquire shortly. the polar caps are wide open which explains to some degree what is on haarp.

Something is afoot.

EDIT since bats r us is also in nearly real time, go to the bottom to select images for 2 weeks past and select the time 16:24 or so UTC today, for what I am refering too. its still messed up but apparently moving back to closer to normal, here an hour later. about 17:20 utc as I am posting now.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 12225802
United States
03/09/2012 12:13 PM
Report Abusive Post
bat
Anonymous Coward
United States
03/09/2012 12:19 PM
Report Abusive Post
bat
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 12225802

well that I guess expresses your intent, starting out as a smile and degenerating.................
Anonymous Coward
United States
03/09/2012 01:03 PM
Report Abusive Post
[link to www2.nict.go.jp] well I guess ACE is back on, if its been "off". the full info on [link to umtof.umd.edu] is now completed after Soho was out of contact. Wind is now calmed to about 650 on it. which is consistent with what is now showing on ACE and NICT.

OMG I just checked the AE index from here WOW WOW WOW. [link to wdc.kugi.kyoto-u.ac.jp] going up well over 2000 which is why all that activity on Haarp. the AE on NICT is obviously NOT reporting that which should have been reported over the night. KP was up to 7 before or as I got up this morning and is still 6. [link to www.n3kl.org]
Anonymous Coward
United States
03/09/2012 02:27 PM
Report Abusive Post
Ok the M 6 earlier today apparently produced a cme according to spaceweather. I have not checked stereo or soho on this at all. But the sunspot is in good location, to have sent it earthward. They are also admitting that the early part of the CME expected yesterday was not a wimpy as they suggested. GORGEOUS aurora image from Iceland there, that would be worth saving to ones computer.
Anonymous Coward
United States
03/10/2012 10:19 AM
Report Abusive Post
well I don't know if this is the coronal hole behind this or not, probably? but [link to wdc.kugi.kyoto-u.ac.jp] we continue to have a bunch of stuff coming right on in during my evening last night.

that energy band on the haarp induction magnetometer is moving closer to 2.5 which was where it was for a time before the Japan quake last year. worth watching to see if quakes of a severe nature are related to that or not.

[link to www.n3kl.org] since the electrons are rising again I assume these current storms are settling down. The equipment imply doesn't record electrons well during solar storms, it does not mean they go down. Of interest, which I forgot to document here for at least a week, the electrons were depressed around 0 utc, every single day, prior to the current solar storms. since kp was 5 during the same ingress on the AE index above, and the protons did not rise I assume this is the coronal hole.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 12032091
United States
03/10/2012 12:49 PM
Report Abusive Post
bat
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 12225802

well that I guess expresses your intent, starting out as a smile and degenerating.................
 Quoting: Nobody in Particular

I LOVE YOUR WORDS! I watch this thread and AH daily! Thanks C- for all that you do! xoxox -C in SW WA
Anonymous Coward
United States
03/10/2012 09:34 PM
Report Abusive Post
well, we have the CME from the M5 flare early Mar 9 arriving in 5 to 10 hours or so, and then today there was an M8 so a couple more days or so, another.

[link to www.n3kl.org] Proton flux is coming back down.
Anonymous Coward
United States
03/11/2012 11:35 AM
Report Abusive Post
Well our next CME probably began arriving a couple hours or so ago. About 13 utc. Happy Daylight savings time to some of you. I forgot to set my clocks ahead last night. So I got an extra hour of much needed sleep.

[link to www.swpc.noaa.gov] bz just starting to drop. Protons so far only a bit above 10. not impressive but we will have to watch to see if it gets more impressive or not. The size of a CME doesn't have much to do necessarily with the flare it may have originated from. spaceweather suggests it will not be impressive, and they are often wrong. I did not look on stereo a or b with this one that is coming in, so I don't have an opinion as to its potential size.

Ok I just went to stereo for that day, there are no ahead images during the time frame, the behind images show a small CME.
Ozark

User ID: 9696387
United States
03/11/2012 10:02 PM
Report Abusive Post
Nip, have you seen that there is almost an hour of missing seismic data in the us graphs for 9-10am this morning?
Also, I am unable to load up the usgs seismic pages.....
Favorite quote or Haiku,
Nikos Kazantzakis

" I said to the Almond tree, "Sister, speak to me of God..."
And the Almond tree blossomed...
Anonymous Coward
United States
03/11/2012 10:14 PM
Report Abusive Post
Nip, have you seen that there is almost an hour of missing seismic data in the us graphs for 9-10am this morning?
Also, I am unable to load up the usgs seismic pages.....
 Quoting: Ozark

the only seismic page I use on usgs is and it has worked all day for me. [link to earthquake.usgs.gov] but others have complained here on glp so I don't know what is going on.

I don't know what graphs you mean???? What page are you referring to?
Ozark

User ID: 9696387
United States
03/11/2012 10:39 PM
Report Abusive Post
the first set on todays date.

[link to folkworm.ceri.memphis.edu]
Favorite quote or Haiku,
Nikos Kazantzakis

" I said to the Almond tree, "Sister, speak to me of God..."
And the Almond tree blossomed...
Anonymous Coward
United States
03/11/2012 10:41 PM
Report Abusive Post
the first set on todays date.

[link to folkworm.ceri.memphis.edu]
 Quoting: Ozark

oh that site for the madrid area. I have occasionally seen missing data on all of them in a certain region and I don't know why. could be technical or cover up. Also the time changeover of time today might be responsible perhaps, as UTC does not do daylight time?
Anonymous Coward
United States
03/11/2012 10:49 PM
Report Abusive Post
well I checked these and there is no "time adjustment" anyway on them. [link to earthquake.usgs.gov]
Anonymous Coward
United States
03/12/2012 10:06 AM
Report Abusive Post
well the next cme arrived about 9 utc, and much bigger than the previous one. Protons going to about 47+with a huge spike after 10 utc. maybe that has something to do with the leg pain that woke me a bit early this morning.

[link to www.swpc.noaa.gov] there is missing data, during the spike, so who knows what that went too. bz dropped out to about -20 visually here.

AE index on nict to about 1500 more than that here [link to wdc.kugi.kyoto-u.ac.jp] which is the one I trust more. Don't know why the AE index on Nict has been so mucked the last couple days with long periods of data seemingly removed after being there initially.

record on [link to umtof.umd.edu] (soho) matches pretty much with ace.

so far kp to 6. pretty nice storm. nice magnetic reconnection on the back side of earth, right down to the nice red heart. [link to www2.nict.go.jp]
Anonymous Coward
United States
03/12/2012 02:09 PM
Report Abusive Post
and now after the protons the wind has come up to about 700. Pretty typical good sized cme, ingress about 1700 on AE, I am hearing the wind increase. [link to wdc.kugi.kyoto-u.ac.jp]
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 12225802
United States
03/12/2012 02:29 PM
Report Abusive Post
bump
Anonymous Coward
United States
03/14/2012 09:14 AM
Report Abusive Post
well a little comment, which I can't remember if I put it into this thread or not,, Alaska has steadily increase in quakes since the several years ago I began to watch it, probably 2004 or so. Back then the 7 day average was running 125 or so. then it began to climb, running in the 200's and it rarely drops under 300 now. And now as of a few weeks ago, I am seeing it go above 400, which it did a week or more ago, and is again. Right now its 444 going over 400 again yesterday or day before.

Its acting up offshore Japan today, with one quake just east of Tokyo that I assume may have been noticed, it was 5.7. 6+ quakes further north on that fracture each of northern Honshu. California is climbing again this morning, but count wise except there there are big clusters there, I think they remain sort of the same range over many years.

Magnetosphere quiet this morning. bz has been almost continuously negative for the last 24 hours, actually for the last 48.
Anonymous Coward
United States
03/14/2012 09:33 AM
Report Abusive Post
regards quake comments above, also USGS used to put all quakes 4+ in bold black. AND listed them on there 4+ map, [link to earthquake.usgs.gov] not only the 4.5 + are on that map. Considering this change, there would be abut 33 more quakes on that than show right now. 242 is the count right now, it would be 275. so goes the deception. But several years ago, getting to be more than several now, the weekly total was around 125 most of the time there. steadily climbing has been going on.
Anonymous Coward
United States
03/15/2012 02:10 PM
Report Abusive Post
well the next cme arrived with quite a wind gust, so much so I wonder if its the big coronal hole with it. have to observe longer. NICT is not loading, and often had deleted data lately,, so I don't know what's going on with it. wind jumped to 800 range, now about 750. Protons only slightly up and nearly back to 1 to 3 range. [link to www.swpc.noaa.gov]

covered here too [link to umtof.umd.edu] not much density on ACE data page, [link to www.swpc.noaa.gov]

SOHO may have picked up more density, because its not always matched up with ACE satellite and it depends where in their respective halo orbits they are what is detected.

This is making Huge Ingress though, lookie here. [link to wdc.kugi.kyoto-u.ac.jp]

and looky here on haarp too. [link to www.haarp.alaska.edu] This may hurt a bit, and I suddenly didn't feel so good about an hour after I got up and went back to bed a bit, and was wondering if the cme came in. I just remembered to check, which is why I am posting here.

[link to www.n3kl.org] the goes magnetometer took a dive and I see we got another m flare a bit ago.
Anonymous Coward
United States
03/18/2012 12:32 PM
Report Abusive Post
[link to www.swpc.noaa.gov] I am still interested in the why of the electron flux decrease just about every day for a couple weeks or more, that occurs around 0 utc.
Anonymous Coward
United States
03/18/2012 10:54 PM
Report Abusive Post
[link to www.ndbc.noaa.gov] buoy off of Washington state is in motion signicantly for a couple days. variance up to 30 meters up or down. this happened once before, in the same area, not sure if the same buoy and nothing big happened, but pointing it out anyway.

GLP