Nip's solar/quake thread

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 2230535
United States
10/05/2011 12:10 AM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: Nip's solar/quake thread
[link to spaceweather.com] movie of the biggy cme today. not earth directed.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1517751
United States
10/05/2011 12:44 AM
Report Abusive Post
Oh hi NIP I wondered where you were?

Glad you gave an opinion on this. Facts actually. I could tell after a while it wasn't earth directed but Mitch Battros of (Earth Changes Media) said a cme is arriving tonight and some guy on you tube too. I dont see where though.

Maybe it's in some of the missing footage. Anyway I don't see anything on the Nict yet.
Anonymous Coward
United States
10/05/2011 03:45 AM
Report Abusive Post
Oh hi NIP I wondered where you were?

Glad you gave an opinion on this. Facts actually. I could tell after a while it wasn't earth directed but Mitch Battros of (Earth Changes Media) said a cme is arriving tonight and some guy on you tube too. I dont see where though.

Maybe it's in some of the missing footage. Anyway I don't see anything on the Nict yet.
 Quoting: finley

spaceweather says we have minor ones coming. I don't remember, since I forgot to keep a journal here as to when the last time anything happened. I would have to go back and look. That is one reason i was going to keep this thread going was as a journal. Seems like we had a couple a few days ago, but without going back, I am not sure. I could do that tomorrow I am up right now got awakened by an alarm which should have not gone off, so I am just seeing if there was some reason I was awakened. We did get a "gamma ray" storm, and my ears are going like crazy even many hours later.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 2687042
Australia
10/05/2011 03:51 AM
Report Abusive Post
[link to spaceweather.com] movie of the biggy cme today. not earth directed.
 Quoting: Nobody in Particular

hf
Anonymous Coward
United States
10/05/2011 09:34 AM
Report Abusive Post
well during the night we had a small CME arrive. Its on the usual sources. ACE ran all night, but NICT was down for a bit, but running a few hours already. Obvious on the AE index.
Horusinsun
User ID: 2699183
Australia
10/05/2011 10:17 AM
Report Abusive Post
Well folks, more energy coming in from the sun now as just Checked Realtime and much heat is pouring in, density is up and down as well as Bz and By meters.........could be an interesting night, convection is changing as well, things are warming up a bit in the mid latitudes.

I was out in the sun today, and with the wethaer forecast at 16c it was a hell of a lot hotter than that. Felt some bursts coming in from the sun, now it seems that the polar regions are under some increased pressures, a bloke on youtube was saying that he thinks we could have the polar reversal soon.....it would be interesting to see this.

Sleeping heeps but not waking rested atm, periods of tiredness as well as total and utter restlessness followed by dullness....it is quite a ride this time with the shifting of the polar charges, which I think is the easiest way to explain it. I remember reading that the field will change its electromagnetic polarity or charge....it is going to be interesting to see what this looks like.

Indeed there has been some changes in the sky, The sky seems a bit brighter at night as these new energies flood in. I have also noticed that there is sunlight in the sky long after sundown, this perhaps due to the location I'm in being in Tasmania, but the mind does wonder.

Saturn and Mercury are doing an alignment atm, atronomy and astology seem to be in marriage and I was reading that there are some major ones coming with the sun, Venus and Earth in November which I wonder if that is what Michael is alluding to with the coming alignments he discussed earlier.

Oh well, can I also ask you guys if you have been experiencing any memory loss atm? I have struggling with this myself, remembering verbatim things I have read or written to a certain degree but yhis wears off after a time.

Looks like alot of grounding ahead of us tonight, lets put it to good use and welcome brother sun as he rises through earth mother, and forgive me for any typos.....lol.

One final note regarding the moon tonight, we had a massive ringed halo around the moon tonight, strong clear and vibrant, I felt a little on edge but I was told once that this could be a precurser for quakes which have been a bit quite lately.

Well I'll sign off for now, if anyone would like to chat with me or share their knowledge with me it would be welcomed, gets a bit lonely being the only one around the house who loves this kinda stuff.....

Kind Regarda,

Brendan via the BIG CHEESEY universe of Nebadon.
Anonymous Coward
United States
10/05/2011 01:48 PM
Report Abusive Post
[link to www.haarp.alaska.edu] well this small long drawn out CME has affected the ionosphere. I think maybe it's two since we seem to have had two "bumps" as to the protons.

I wish this planet would MOVE and relieve her stress. GAIa is pathetically depressed again.
Anonymous Coward
United States
10/05/2011 07:49 PM
Report Abusive Post
[link to stereo.gsfc.nasa.gov] New CME on ahead about 19UTC in this image but probably about 18 Utc. Missing images is why.

[link to stereo.gsfc.nasa.gov] Behind, and a missing images here too, but it appears it may have also occured here. the images on both near the end of today are similar.

[link to sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov] On Soho but only the end, period of missing images also. Understand they are not always "hiding" something, as the satellites are NOT in constant contact with ground receiving stations, and so images must be downloaded when the satellite IS in contact and added.

there were no X ray flares during the time of this one, so its not associated with a flare. Will have to wait to see other images to get an idea if it will maybe glance earth or not. Its so LOW.

we have had an increase in quake numbers with the last few small cme's that have arrived. Per usual some are left out each day, but I will only collect them if I see a LOT of them or I am in the mood.
Horusinsun
User ID: 2768709
Australia
10/06/2011 10:13 AM
Report Abusive Post
Hey Guys,

Well its raining here and I can certainly feel Gaias sadness.

A few quakes one on the eastern coast of Us on the ridgepoint there, only 5 or os on the ricther scale, one over six in South America and few around the ring of fire. My attention was drawn today to California, knowing how tenuous the situation there is, I almost expect to wake and see it gone.

Things have definately slown down quite significantly, I was hoping the recent sun activity would stimulate Gaia to move, but she is bogged down again.

Poor Girl needs this so much, this change that is in effect that is, and we must talk with her in prayer that once she has moved through this she will no longer be sad or depressed, but once again restored to her true beauty and raidiance and the ones here on earth will respect her and give reverence to her like she hasnt felt in quite some time.

We walk hand in hand with her, and I am ever greatful for her gifts she has bestowed upon us, like the rain today brought me and my flatmate togehter so we could be inside and on good terms, plus the water for the plants and the way that rain cleanses the soul of us all. I also like it at night to sleep with the rain falling, everyone is off the roads and inside where they are safe and you can really feel at one with her during these times.

Just a few kicks Gaia and it is done, rebirth of the phoenix! The ones that go will be taken care of, those who stay will live closer to you than in any other civilisation before. Finally you will recieve the attention and affection you so greatly crave!

Field is taking in some new energy as we speak, density is up and the convection is snaking its way into the mid latitudes again! It looks less than when I checked it at this time roughly last night, maybe the small CME effects taking place?

Will keep an eye out though over the next hour or so before bedtime!

Take care all, and NIP I hope your legs get better, if it is bruising then Arnica cream helps alot to reduce the swelling and aids in rapid healing. I discovered this years ago from my Mum when I was struck by a car whilst riding my bike. I was on crutches for around three days, and I attribute the rapid healing due to this wonderful ointment.

Kind Regards,

Brendan, on Earth today lol but still awaiting my Pleadien buddies!
Horusinsun
User ID: 2768709
Australia
10/06/2011 10:21 AM
Report Abusive Post
Density spiked at 12.1 protons per cm3.......... as of 1:19 am 7/10/2011!

K index is in strom mode and the upper lats are quite active!

Sunspot 1313 is crackling with C class flares......
Anonymous Coward
United States
10/06/2011 10:50 PM
Report Abusive Post
well I came home from an event, and find out a CME has arrived. I have a date above tonight, so I can't watch it, will check it in the morning.
Hprusinsun
User ID: 2823961
Australia
10/07/2011 03:51 AM
Report Abusive Post
Hey guys, thought this is interesting...

06-OCT-2011 23:53:00 58.11 -32.31 4.8 9.9 REYKJANES RIDGE
06-OCT-2011 00:39:33 57.88 -32.56 5.6 10.2 REYKJANES RIDGE
06-OCT-2011 00:03:04 57.95 -32.33 5.0 10.0 REYKJANES RIDGE
05-OCT-2011 23:52:20 57.87 -32.55 5.4 10.0 REYKJANES RIDGE
05-OCT-2011 23:02:12 57.99 -32.58 4.8 10.0 REYKJANES RIDGE

Looking at the depth obviously somethings on the rise, could it be the floor and changes in ocean depth due to stresses from the shifting polar regions? Could there be a volcano in this area? Could the tectonics be grinding and this area under alot of pressure, I remember Esu talking about the Azores Volcanic crater that could go, is this anywhere near this location?

Hi NIP, enjoy your date, you deserve some down time! I wonder if it is with a spunky bearded fella?!

Anyways be sure to have fun, interesting now about CME's. we must be in the quickening now of events......

Density has just jumped in the field again....and then is tapering off it was around 18-20 protons per cm3 and now is back at 12......

Spaceweather is reporting relatively quiet conditions over the next 24hrs, a Solar stream on the 9th to come as well as six earth facing sunspot which they believe will have minimal earth directed flares......

Two tropical storms off the west coast of USA down near the Cali/Mexican border and Hurricane Phillipe in the Atlantic all look like they will not see landfall at all but will wear themselves out.....

Anyways enough for now, but I'll be watching as I like to do, overcast hear in Tasmania with a few nice dark blue cloud fronts about, maybe we'll see lightening which would be nice.

Night Brendan.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 2679631
United States
10/07/2011 10:35 AM
Report Abusive Post
[link to www2.nict.go.jp]

Please take a look!

(I started this thread when it looked like the 2nd cme was arriving after that series of x and m flares that had CME;s with them. It was not impressive, the 2nd one. I have decided to keep this thread for my regular notes about what is happening since, and Have renamed it appropriately.

great thread, OP!! keep it up!!! 5* and pin suggest.
Anonymous Coward
United States
10/07/2011 01:50 PM
Report Abusive Post
well the CME was small. what is intestesting me I forgot to mention last night. is the a line of small quakes was removed from the California quake map yesterday. [link to earthquake.usgs.gov]

there were 4 small quakes in a near perfect line west of the Elsinore fault line, starting east of Santa anna, and running south. they were a bit more west than the quake that is left east of escondido. the line they formed caught my attention, and was wondering if there is a unknown fault line about 1/3 INCH (visually in the map) west of the Elsinore Fault. I don't know why the geologists removed them. they happened with a couple hours or so.
Anonymous Coward
United States
10/07/2011 01:52 PM
Report Abusive Post
[link to www2.nict.go.jp]

Please take a look!

(I started this thread when it looked like the 2nd cme was arriving after that series of x and m flares that had CME;s with them. It was not impressive, the 2nd one. I have decided to keep this thread for my regular notes about what is happening since, and Have renamed it appropriately.

great thread, OP!! keep it up!!! 5* and pin suggest.
 Quoting: hoopity

thankyou, doesn't need pinning at this point, since pinned stuff is current stuff and this is just here for my use and anybody else that wants to share in it. This way I have some notes as things move along. I really intended to get all CMEs noted etc when they happened that might be earth directed just so I could look back.

I am noticing the asia side of the pacific rim starting to act up, which means keep watching the quakes moving around it, a pattern I have noticed over the years. They are moving up towards the japan area bunch today and we can probably expect some increase down the coastal us, mexico and south america the next few days. I tend once a day or so to check the quakes on usgs vs EMSC section for geologists to see how many are not being reported on USGS . there is for example a 5.7 near the marianas at 9:05 utc not mentioned. I only make collections of unposted ones as it is time consuming, when I feel like doing that and it's more than usual. One day for example I found 6 red (6+) quakes not posted.
Horusinsun
User ID: 2898218
Australia
10/08/2011 11:36 AM
Report Abusive Post
Well another interesting day, sunshine, rain and a nice break from the norm by going out for dinner.

Man I have some serious cabin fever atm!

Anyways, many discussions seem to be going on about California atm.

I keep getting updates from Fleet at certain times as to the likelihood of this.

I out forward a motion that it could be a good time for stasis, seesings that things are quiet with the changes atm and that it could give us every oppourtunity for announcements and the other fun stiff to go ahead, but tonight I have a feeling that the earth changes may accellerate!

As for not reprting these events from the folks at USGS really saddens me, as I would love to be a siesmologist, I think I hae more integrity than those who work there, for witholding information and such.

There was one reported a little while ago on the CAli/Nevada border of the 4 mag and I think it was 12km in depth, however and I am glad you posted NIP the other quakes.

Knowing how brittle the undersea cave structure is there, any event should be treated with respect and concern for what COULD unfold there. NIP these thoughts just wont seem to leave me alone about this area, and I mentioned it in the past as to what I was receiving, trying harder than ever to clear my channels to connect with those in the know as energy centres do become quite clogged in the current environment, I am told that round the clock monitoring by fleet is taking place and that evacs can be underway if in need.

As well as eqs, one of the recently reported hurrivance, may change its course and I could stand corrected of my recent post regarding them not making landfall.

One seems to be turning north east which if course stays on this direction it could make landfall loweer down in Claifornia. I wonder if kinetic forces could force movemet there as it is much spoken of the tenuous nature of that area in particular.

The mag field seems quiet now and density is lower than before so not much else to report!

Goodnight to you all and hope all is well.

Kind Regards,

Brendan nia the universe......
Anonymous Coward
United States
10/09/2011 07:23 PM
Report Abusive Post
[link to www2.nict.go.jp] we got a little jolt of something that came in with a punch and left just as quick. these links change over time, if the above does not work around 22+ utc look for others in the list. depressed the pressure image pretty good, and a bit green spike of protons. Ace is missing data just before 22 utc. [link to www.swpc.noaa.gov] sometimes there is a significant quake after these, sometimes not.
Anonymous Coward
United States
10/09/2011 07:30 PM
Report Abusive Post
fairly quiet quake day, did find one in Saudi Arabia not included on USGS. 12:17 UTC 27.44 N 39.20 E 33 km mb 4.9 WESTERN SAUDI ARABIA

Just for history sake, when I first started watch usgs sometime before I became public in 2005, the total quakes for the week averaged around 125. Most of the time now, between 180 on the low end to 300 or more on the high end, and of course that doesn't include the ones they ignore. You can get the total here easily for each week, [link to earthquake.usgs.gov]

Alaska's use to also be about 125 and now also ranges similarly to the world total.

also, california nevada, there are two maps. This is the common one on usgs and it reports quakes 1+ on up. [link to earthquake.usgs.gov]

This is the other, which reports the really micro quakes under 1 also. [link to www.data.scec.org] Now today look at the count difference between the usgs above. Today with these micro quakes it says 680, while usgs 1+ is 344. There is a difference of about 344 I think. Years ago, the difference average around 125. Most of the time now its almost double and often considerably more than double the count. Sometimes you can see clusters of these that will say perhaps a bigger one is on the way. But the importance to me is the difference in the numbers, which has steadily increased as to the really little ones. I am assured by Soltec, starfleets geophysical guy, that this is not good news.
Anonymous Coward
United States
10/10/2011 10:54 PM
Report Abusive Post
well I had a small urge to check Stereo green images. Biggy puppy is there. [link to stereo.gsfc.nasa.gov]

and on other images for behind there are some small craft. Not posting a list tonight, there are not many. Just playing and trying to stay awake until 9, tired tonight.
Anonymous Coward
United States
10/11/2011 05:29 PM
Report Abusive Post
[link to www2.nict.go.jp] this shows a fleet shoot of protons inside the magnetosphere. the solar energy was very small and none coming in, as shown on the AE index yesterday. here is all of todays so far, and you can see the little peak in it from the shoot. [link to www2.nict.go.jp]

also I think maybe the tiny coronal hole is arriving. I have been out most of the day, not please to come home to this "Iran" being the worlds worst terrorists game being played on TV.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 3273555
United States
10/15/2011 03:17 PM
Report Abusive Post
[link to iono.jpl.nasa.gov] at this tec (total electron count)

red used to be 50 and then 60. today it's 80, and what was 60 is greenish yellow. be sure to watch for the changing numbers in interpreting this, as the electrons are HIGHER and around the former 60 range of about 2 days ago, in a very large area. I don't know what this means but I suspect t does have something to do with the over stuffed feeling so many of us have.

ditto with this site when I compared, the red that used to be 10 quite recently is not 16. [link to www.gdgps.net] People not noticing this change are likely to assume they are down not up.

I assume this site [link to www.swpc.noaa.gov] is showing action again because of the somewhat higher x ray flare activity from the sun today showing here: [link to www.n3kl.org]

Otherwise the sun facing us is pretty quiet as is the magnetosphere, we received a couple small bumps starting at 0 utc last night. [link to www2.nict.go.jp]

quake activity very low today. but I feel a pressure, not sure if from the rising TEC or impending something or the other. I don't think we have had any noticeable earth facing CMEs lately. Not that I remember that were viewable. We do get ones off the front of the sun that do not show on stereo now and then and are thus a surprise.

[link to earthquake.usgs.gov] quakes have risen here the last few days to back over 400 again. 5.3 quake off oregon a couple days ago is perhaps interesting.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 3273555
United States
10/16/2011 07:51 PM
Report Abusive Post
well for reasons I have no idea why, there are NO stereo ! images since about 14 to 15 UTC yesterday, as the 15th UTC. None on this 16 th utc day. the small cme on soho is not evidence on behind. So I have no idea it's direction, or if its associated with a sunspot eruption or not.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 3582325
United States
10/22/2011 09:27 AM
Report Abusive Post
Oh my some BIG CME's during my night. Probably not earth directed, because they are so high on the sun. but I am still studying them.

REALLY visible on the HI 1 images on stereo too! [link to stereo.gsfc.nasa.gov] [link to stereo.gsfc.nasa.gov]

[link to stereo.gsfc.nasa.gov] THREE CME's showing on cor 2 ahead over night. The first one is probably earth directed, but its not a big as the next 2.
Anonymous Coward
United States
10/23/2011 11:16 AM
Report Abusive Post
well the magnetosphere remains very quiet. I may keep a list of quakes not on usgs today. there are several glaring errors already. But we have 2 quakes over 7 this week which is unusual. I haven't heard but a bit on tv about the turkey quake a few hours ago, have not idea of the damage. It seems to be in a area that is not heavily populated and is tossing lots of aftershocks making usgs. there are a lot of 3+ too that are not there, very active site. I won't bother with the aftershocks of the turkey quake, well I did a couple big ones not posted. I will update again later.

20:44 31.35 N 45.55 E 33km mb 5.7 IRAQ

18:07 utc5.19 N 39.14 E 33km mb 5.3 ETHIOPIA

12:23 utc 36.48 N 45.26 E 87km mb 5.2 A. IRAN-IRAQ BORDER REGION

11:32 utc 34.52 N 45.85 E 33km mb 5.2 IRAN-IRAQ BORDER REGION this is not the same location as the quake reported for this time on usgs, just to be clear.

11:10 38.76 N 46.12 E 10km mb 5.3 NORTHWESTERN IRAN

11:10 36.66 N 48.18 E 15km mb 4.9 NORTHWESTERN IRAN

11:05 60.61 N 93.91 E 33km mb 5.4 NORTHCENTRAL SIBERIA, RUSSIA

11:03 utc 50.37 N 22.56 E 30km mb 5.2 POLAND

11:00 utc 38.28 N 43.07 E 33km mb 6.0 EASTERN TURKEY well I am listing this one, its important and left out.

10:56 utc 35.26 N 50.68 E 15km mb 5.8 NORTHERN IRAN

10:56utc 34.81 N 45.11 E 33km mb 4.9 IRAN-IRAQ BORDER REGION

10:53 38.75 N 43.20 E 7 ML 5.1 EASTERN TURKEY another one missed on eastern turkey, so what the heck, include it because its over 5 CNN is just now showing some images of collapsed buildings and saying there has been deaths.

10:44 utc 37.08 N 29.19 E 10km ML 5.2 WESTERN TURKEY

9:20 utc 41.17 N 70.61 E 25km mb 4.1 EASTERN UZBEKISTAN including this because usgs claims they post all world wide quakes above 2.5 I choose to start with the 4+

7:23 utc 35.27 N 7.90 E 10km mb 5.2 NORTHERN ALGERIA

4:58 utc 33.88 N 69.49 E 2km ML 4.0 CENTRAL AFGHANISTAN

3:48 utc 42.82 N 118.69 E 10km mb 4.9 EASTERN NEI MONGOL, CHINA

3:47 utc 53.58 N 160.91 E 60km mb 4.7 NEAR EAST COAST OF KAMCHATKA

1:31 utc 4.54 S 100.71 E 10km M 4.6 SOUTHWEST OF SUMATRA, INDONESIA

1:28utc 37.56 N 69.22 E 2km ML 4.0 TAJIKISTAN

1:28 35.41 N 68.54 E 2km ML 4.3 CENTRAL AFGHANISTAN
Anonymous Coward
United States
10/23/2011 07:41 PM
Report Abusive Post
something on interest in this thread. I made some replies. Thread: SHIN THIS PIT!!! What's going on in the Ionosphere??
Anonymous Coward
United States
10/24/2011 11:09 AM
Report Abusive Post
somebody posted a thread yesterday asking why on this. [link to www.swpc.noaa.gov]

I don't know why, as this seem related to x ray flares and that is sorta of quiet right now, so I don't understand why the increased absorption in the polar areas. today's x ray flux [link to www.swpc.noaa.gov] the proton flux is a bit elevated too [link to www.swpc.noaa.gov] which would be reflected in the first link above also, but why the proton flux is higher, I don't know. flux is NOT the numbers, its the energy of vibration of the protons, as is the x ray flux and other fluxes.

the bz was negative for a long time but I have seen it such without this above.

the electron flux is not high at all. [link to www.swpc.noaa.gov]

the haarp TEC is HIGH and snce Haarp is located near the north polar region, I would assume this is somehow related to the global drap, first link above. [link to www.haarp.alaska.edu]

so as to WHY the polar regions are active right now, I don't know. but i am curious about it.
Anonymous Coward
United States
10/24/2011 02:51 PM
Report Abusive Post
we just had a quicky solar impulse, and here is the thread I posted in if any are interested. Thread: WARNING: Geomagnetic Sudden Impulse expected
Anonymous Coward
United States
10/24/2011 06:40 PM
Report Abusive Post
well I have returned for a nice nap I needed and this is more than a quickie sudden impulse from the edge of a cme, its a CME, and I assume the one that came first in that group of 3 2 days ago that seemed earth directed.

[link to www2.nict.go.jp] climbing to 1500 on the AE index.

And the wind increase is hanging in there. We shall see what it all does regards any quakes that might result. I thought initially this was a short event possibly of fleet origin, they have done this when we needed protons, but this is a regular normal cme. It was miscalled as a sudden impulse by NASA.

a lot of protons inside the magnetosphere that will be affecting the ionosphere. [link to www2.nict.go.jp]

[link to www.swpc.noaa.gov] these latest CME' are causing more change in the GOES magnetometer than in the past.

now on this link right above, this is the statement below. I have bolded some of it, because this has done that, the data near zero on the NOON or daylight side. Now let me go look at another image. I will edit again so this is all together .

The GOES Hp plot contains the 1-minute averaged parallel component of the magnetic field in nanoTeslas (nT), as measured at GOES-13 (W75) and GOES-15 (W89). The Hp component is perpendicular to the satellite orbit plane and Hp is essentially parallel to Earth's rotation axis. If these data drop to near zero, or less, when the satellite is on the dayside it may be due to a compression of Earth's magnetopause to within geosynchronous orbit, exposing satellites to negative and/or highly variable magnetic fields. On the nightside, a near zero, or less, value of the field indicates strong currents that are often associated with substorms and an intensification of currents in the Earth's geomagnetic tail.

well I don't have the link I want, but this is interesting as this graph has been made to go to 16 instead of the 10 it had maybe 10 days ago. I mentioned that change somewhere above. Despite the change from 1 to 16, it has again a white spot which means it's over 16. 10 is now yellowish green on it, and you see that had they not changed the limits on the graph, the white spot would be really HUGE. [link to www.gdgps.net]

[link to www.gdgps.net]
Anonymous Coward
United States
10/24/2011 08:32 PM
Report Abusive Post
[link to stereo.gsfc.nasa.gov] now that this day is fully filled in, the 22nd with all the images, there were 5 CME's viewable on it on cor 2. and some are showing also on the hi 1 and 2 systems.

2 on the lower left which could be earth directed and possibly showed today, 2 off the top/back of the sun and 1 on the right. Now the ones off the top, may have had some earth direction, being these are ahead image, maybe part of the cloud could hit.
Anonymous Coward
United States
10/24/2011 10:58 PM
Report Abusive Post
from www.spaceweather.com. got there for aurora pics all the way to arkansas.

AURORAS IN THE USA--NOW! Northern Lights have spilled across the Canadian border into the contiguous USA. Observers report auroras as far south as Arkansas, Tennessee, Missouri, Indiana, Maryland, New York, and Ohio. The display was caused by the CME impact described below. Aurora alerts: text, voice.

CME IMPACT: A CME hit Earth's magnetic field on Oct. 24th at approximately 1800 UT (02:00 pm EDT). Acording to analysts at the Goddard Space Weather Lab, the impact caused a strong compression of Earth's magnetic field, allowing solar wind to penetrate all the way down to geosynchronous orbit for a brief period between 19:06 UT and 19:11 UT. Earth-orbiting spacecraft could have been directly exposed to solar wind plasma during that time.

see my post above where I suggested that this was happening, what I bolded above.

GLP