Godlike Productions - Discussion Forum
Users Online Now: 2,211 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 561,933
Pageviews Today: 970,958Threads Today: 413Posts Today: 6,806
12:04 PM

Rate this Thread

Absolute BS Crap Reasonable Nice Amazing

Santorini (nea kameni volcano) unrest. Water tempature in caldera rising! Magma spot also detected 4km depth.

so-gui-li
Offer Upgrade

User ID: 1332289
Finland
10/03/2011 12:09 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Santorini (nea kameni volcano) unrest. Water tempature in caldera rising! Magma spot also detected 4km depth.
Well there is activity also in santorini.

[link to www.emsc-csem.org]

Last Edited by so-gui-li on 01/29/2012 11:48 AM
so-gui-li  (OP)

Finland
10/03/2011 04:39 PM
Report Abusive Post
Re: Santorini (nea kameni volcano) unrest. Water tempature in caldera rising! Magma spot also detected 4km depth.
[link to geophysics.geo.auth.gr]

Well it looks like santorini activity is rising. This is place what to watch again.
curiouslyinterested

User ID: 1555914
Canada
10/03/2011 07:22 PM
Report Abusive Post
Re: Santorini (nea kameni volcano) unrest. Water tempature in caldera rising! Magma spot also detected 4km depth.

Well it looks like santorini activity is rising. This is place what to watch again.
 Quoting: so-gui-li

Your link is not available now, but if you find an updated link, please resend. This will indeed be worth keeping an eye on. Depth of only 2 kms is very interesting.
so-gui-li  (OP)

Finland
10/06/2011 02:25 PM
Report Abusive Post
Depth 5km.... 2.3magnitude

[link to www.emsc-csem.org]
so-gui-li  (OP)

Finland
10/08/2011 09:22 AM
Report Abusive Post
Here is Thessalonki volcano obsevatory earthquake map from Santorini: [link to geophysics.geo.auth.gr]
Ostria1

User ID: 2285351
Greece
10/08/2011 09:42 AM

Report Abusive Post
We had a seismic swarm there this june and the scientists put 4 new seismographs around the island to watch it. But the epicenter doesnt seem to be the known caldera so they arent very worried yet.

Last Edited by Ostria1 on 10/08/2011 09:43 AM
Ostria
so-gui-li  (OP)

Finland
10/08/2011 10:20 AM
Report Abusive Post
Good to know Ostria1. Please infrom if you heard anything what is going on there.

Those swarms and seismic unrest worries me little bit. Also because there is lots of seismic movement in aigean sea fault lines so i'm quite sure that activity will rise.

I read also that they put more equipment to watch what will happen. I really hope this beautiful island dont show its darkness side.
so-gui-li  (OP)

Finland
10/08/2011 10:45 AM
Report Abusive Post
Here is really good info about this place:

[link to thewatchers.adorraeli.com]
so-gui-li  (OP)

Finland
10/08/2011 02:43 PM
Report Abusive Post
[link to santorini.net]

here is live cam to santorini.
Keep Smiling

User ID: 72261
New Zealand
10/08/2011 04:52 PM
Report Abusive Post
We had a seismic swarm there this june and the scientists put 4 new seismographs around the island to watch it. But the epicenter doesnt seem to be the known caldera so they arent very worried yet.
 Quoting: Ostria1

Yes, please keep us informed. That is so a beautiful part of the world. I would like to watch what is going on.
Zalli

User ID: 1527120
Canada
10/08/2011 05:58 PM
Report Abusive Post
Stayed a few days on santorini last May and took a boat out to Nea Kameni, a very interesting little vocanic island.

Had a good hike around and there were places where the ground was quite warm underfoot. There were a few vents in a shallow crater where some volcanic steam was escaping.

Our guide related how her mother witnessed (from a distance) the last big blast from this caldera.
so-gui-li  (OP)

Finland
10/09/2011 08:33 AM
Report Abusive Post

here is again that earthquake map. looks like they list also little ones.

Nea kameni is little volcano island but owns great potential.

It is about 6x krakatau.
Ostria1

Greece
10/09/2011 09:38 AM

Report Abusive Post
ok let me give you some information on the eruptions that followed the big one that erased the Minoan culture off the map.

From 197 bc, we have 11 eruptions. We have photos from the eruption of 1935-1928 and 1950.
The eruption of 1950 shook the island quite well overnight sprung a new island, Nea Kameni, and destroyed several buildings because of earthquakes that followed the explosion. The explosion was underwater, and because of that there were not serious problems. Somehow the island benefited from this explosion as most older buildings collapsed and they had to rebuild with new buildings, which boomed the tourism from then on. This eruption lasted less than one month.

1925-1926 photo
[link to www.geo.auth.gr]

1950 photo
[link to www.geo.auth.gr]

We also have accounts from previous eruptions like the one on 23 May 1707. Father Tarillon, a jesuit missioner who has installed in Santorini reports to his superiors.

"Five days ago, on May 18, two small earthquakes were felt on the island. But no one cared. It seems that from this day on a small island started to emerge from the depths of the sea.
Anyway, in the next morning the sailors saw the peaks of island coming out and thought it was the remains of a shipwreck. So they took the boats and went to see the wreck and to search for survivors. But instead of wreck they fell on rocks. Fearful the Santorinioi quickly returned to the island and narrated the strange phenomenon that saw.

Panic spread throughout the island of Santorini. The barmy residents lived moments of anguish waiting for explosions and sinking. But three days passed and nothing to disaster happened.
Then some brave Santorinioi decided to go near and see up close what happens. They sailed around with their boats carefully studying everything. Then, seeing how there was no danger, they went even closer and stepped on the new land. Out of curiosity they stepped from rock to rock and found out how soft these rocks were which were cut like bread. Indeed some said that the color, composition and even taste, was like barley bread. Their best finding though was numerous oysters, which stuck on the rocks and were very rare in Santorini. So we all set about picking as many as they could.

"Suddenly they felt swaying rocks and all, to tremble beneath their feet. Terrified, they left the little island and jumped in their boats. This vibration was simply a slight movement of the island, which was growing.
Within few days it began developing twelve meters wide and six high.
But the island was not growing properly or evenly. Many times one part lifted and another sank. One day I watched a huge rock rising in the middle of the island for about 15 feet. I closely watched it for four days. Suddenly it sank in the sea and perished.
But other rocks, came out and sank and again came out of the water and became more stable. All of these quakes were shaking the island of Mikri Kameni (Little Burned). A deep crack appeared first in the top.
"Meanwhile, the sea constantly changed colors. From bright green to reddish-pale. A heavy smell rose from the depths of the waters.

"On July 16 for the first time smoke appeared from the new island. But not from the visible part. The smoke blows black rosary rocks that had emerged at the point where the sea was by then bottomless. 'From these rocks formed two separate little islands. One was called 'Aspronisi' (white island) and the other Mavronisi (black island) by their color. Soon, however, they joined together and the black rocks became the center of the island. Dense and whitish smoke was rising constantly.

"On the night of 19 to 20 July, at the center of this smoke flames sprang. The people at Skaros panicked. The houses were built within half a league, and the castle hung suspended on vertical cliffs where the sea ended. I waited to blown up from time to time by the fire spreading out its tentacles certainly, and in the depths of their rock. So, they decided to quit the castle, and their belongings to go to another island or another corner of the island.
"The Turks who were in those days on the island to collect taxes were frighten to death. Frantic of the sight of flames rise from the depths of the sea asked the people to begin prayers to God and invited the children to go out into the streets and shout "Lord have mercy." Because, they said, the children were pure and their supplication, could calm down the divine wrath.

more
[link to skinious.blogspot.com]

This was the creation of Megali Kameni, a small island at the Santorini Caldera.

Last Edited by Ostria1 on 10/09/2011 09:38 AM
Ostria
so-gui-li  (OP)

Finland
10/09/2011 10:28 AM
Report Abusive Post
Thank you ostria1 that is great story. It is first time that i read that one.

I also heard that caldera can erupt really fast almost without warning.
Ostria1

Greece
10/09/2011 10:32 AM

Report Abusive Post
Thank you ostria1 that is great story. It is first time that i read that one.

I also heard that caldera can erupt really fast almost without warning.

Its a very interesting story isnt it? You see the first days of the creation of a new crater.
As for the warnings, I guess we have some, a volcano can not erupt out of the sudden (I think), at least we should have some small earthquakes before the eruption as the magma moves up. But if we dont have seismographs maybe the people cant sense them.
Ostria
so-gui-li  (OP)

Finland
10/09/2011 10:41 AM
Report Abusive Post
Yes it is great story and i'm really interested that kind of stories.

Now there is good technology to watch this place and i understand scientists are little worry because they know this place history. It can goes bad mood really quick.

It is good to know that they are watching this place closely.

I really hope that nothing bad happens there because i love Greek islands. They are one place where i maybe want to live someday.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 2765198
Greece
10/09/2011 10:52 AM
Report Abusive Post
Remember when Moses led the Israelites out of egypt and they were following a white pillar at day and a red pillar by night? it was the volcano in Santorini... the very same that wiped out the Minoans... this thing is damn strong and blew half the island to pieces as you can see today...
Ostria1

Greece
10/09/2011 10:53 AM

Report Abusive Post
Yes it is great story and i'm really interested that kind of stories.

Now there is good technology to watch this place and i understand scientists are little worry because they know this place history. It can goes bad mood really quick.

It is good to know that they are watching this place closely.

I really hope that nothing bad happens there because i love Greek islands. They are one place where i maybe want to live someday.

Especially Santorini is a beautiful, strange and a bit scary island. I remember one summer night there was low fog coming from the caldera and we were sitting at a terrace facing the volcano and i had such a strange feeling like the gost-pirates from Carpender's film would appear suddenly out of the fog and cut us in pieces! lol
Ostria
Ostria1

Greece
10/09/2011 10:58 AM

Report Abusive Post
Remember when Moses led the Israelites out of egypt and they were following a white pillar at day and a red pillar by night? it was the volcano in Santorini... the very same that wiped out the Minoans... this thing is damn strong and blew half the island to pieces as you can see today...
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 2765198

Some scientists tried to put together all the myths and stories of a vast area from this timeline, to see if the events described could be results of the big eruption and most of them agreed to this.
Especially the plagues of Egypt I think correspond to this.
Ostria
so-gui-li  (OP)

Finland
10/09/2011 11:09 AM
Report Abusive Post
That is true and it is really interesting to read those articles how this place is connect to history. It is also quite interesting that the scientist dont know precisely how big eruption the biggest one have been.

One of my favorite island in Greek is Hydra island. There i want also go someday again.
Ostria1

Greece
10/09/2011 11:15 AM

Report Abusive Post
That is true and it is really interesting to read those articles how this place is connect to history. It is also quite interesting that the scientist dont know precisely how big eruption the biggest one have been.

One of my favorite island in Greek is Hydra island. There i want also go someday again.

I ve seen a documentary on the big eruption that they found traces of it in the trees and ice of far away places. I dont doubt it that its results cycled the whole earth.

Hydra is my second favorite island, no traffic at all and really cute houses. I would like to have a house there.
Ostria
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 842983
United States
10/09/2011 11:27 AM
Report Abusive Post
That can't be good. Didn't Thera on Santorini explode last pole shift causing so much volcanic ash that Moses and his people saw three days of darkness?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 842983
United States
10/09/2011 11:28 AM
Report Abusive Post
Note that 3,600 years ago is one pole shift ago.

Santorini island is the site of one of the largest volcanic eruptions in recorded history: the Minoan eruption (sometimes called the Thera eruption), which occurred some 3600 years ago at the height of the Minoan civilization. The eruption left a large caldera surrounded by volcanic ash deposits hundreds of feet deep and may have led indirectly to the collapse of the Minoan civilization on the island of Crete, 110 km (68 mi) to the south, through a gigantic tsunami. This theory is not, however, supported by chronology, in that the collapse of the Minoan civilization did not occur at the date of the tsunami, but some 90 years later.[citation needed] Another popular theory holds that the Thera eruption is the source of the legend of Atlantis.[3
so-gui-li  (OP)

Finland
10/09/2011 12:00 PM
Report Abusive Post
Yes it looks like that eruption is really start that legend of atlantis also. It would be interesting to see those archaeologist place some day. I tried once but it was closed.
so-gui-li  (OP)

Finland
10/09/2011 12:23 PM
Report Abusive Post

well in this map it looks like there is swarming all the time. I would be interesting to see how deep those quakes are. Can you Ostria find some where that data?
Ostria1

Greece
10/09/2011 01:03 PM

Report Abusive Post

well in this map it looks like there is swarming all the time. I would be interesting to see how deep those quakes are. Can you Ostria find some where that data?

No I dont have authorization to see this data :(
But here is a close map and I find it quite alarming

here is real time seismic activity for greece
[link to www.geophysics.geol.uoa.gr]
Ostria
so-gui-li  (OP)

Finland
10/09/2011 01:20 PM
Report Abusive Post
Yes that map from santorini looks quite bad. I'm not suprised that they are installing more equipment there. They will need more data to watch what is going on there.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1895541
Canada
10/09/2011 01:31 PM
Report Abusive Post
Thanks for the information and great folklore. Always find that stuff interesting. I always wonder about the Atlantean tales. It could have been Santorini, or perhaps a Canary island flank failure that lead to its destruction, depending on where Atlantis actually was that is (if it existed in the first place).
so-gui-li  (OP)

Finland
10/11/2011 07:10 AM
Report Abusive Post

1.9 magnitude middle of caldera. Seismic activity continue.
Foveras

User ID: 3068738
Greece
10/11/2011 07:14 AM
Report Abusive Post
By the way OP i think it is not a grade 6 volcano but a grade 7. The last big erruption caused Minoan civillization to extince
Love responsibility,
keep saying, I alone
will save the world
If it gets lost, myself only is responsible

N.Kazantzakis
Ostria1

Greece
10/11/2011 07:19 AM

Report Abusive Post
Thanks for the information and great folklore. Always find that stuff interesting. I always wonder about the Atlantean tales. It could have been Santorini, or perhaps a Canary island flank failure that lead to its destruction, depending on where Atlantis actually was that is (if it existed in the first place).
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1895541

If it existed the texts are very specific it is in the Atlantic. Maybe the Canaries are part of it.

Though I think they are quite close, I place it at the middle of Atlantic ocean.

Last Edited by Ostria1 on 10/11/2011 07:20 AM
Ostria

GLP