Godlike Productions - Discussion Forum
Users Online Now: 2,069 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 535,460
Pageviews Today: 944,834Threads Today: 466Posts Today: 7,212
10:41 AM

Rate this Thread

Absolute BS Crap Reasonable Nice Amazing

Santorini (nea kameni volcano) unrest. Water tempature in caldera rising! Magma spot also detected 4km depth.

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 9979674
Portugal
02/01/2012 10:04 AM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: Santorini (nea kameni volcano) unrest. Water tempature in caldera rising! Magma spot also detected 4km depth.
[link to www.geophysics.geol.uoa.gr] ALERT!!!
so-gui-li  (OP)

User ID: 8327651
Finland
02/01/2012 10:04 AM
Report Abusive Post
Re: Santorini (nea kameni volcano) unrest. Water tempature in caldera rising! Magma spot also detected 4km depth.
1.2 in nea kameni directly in caldera.
Anonymous Coward
Portugal
02/01/2012 10:06 AM
Report Abusive Post
1.2 in nea kameni directly in caldera.
 Quoting: so-gui-li

Big jump now!!!
Anonymous Coward
Portugal
02/01/2012 10:13 AM
Report Abusive Post
 Quoting: Luisport

GETTING BAD BAD BAD!!!
Anonymous Coward
Portugal
02/01/2012 10:42 AM
Report Abusive Post

GETTING BAD BAD BAD!!!

OP what do you think it's happening? Magma rising?
so-gui-li  (OP)

Finland
02/01/2012 10:52 AM
Report Abusive Post
No i dont think it rising. Moving yes. Magma bubbles and some gas try to find place.
Anonymous Coward
Portugal
02/01/2012 10:58 AM
Report Abusive Post
No i dont think it rising. Moving yes. Magma bubbles and some gas try to find place.

I hope so...
Anonymous Coward
Portugal
02/01/2012 11:25 AM
Report Abusive Post
This is worst again! [link to www.geophysics.geol.uoa.gr]
so-gui-li  (OP)

Finland
02/01/2012 11:56 AM
Report Abusive Post
Yes something is moving and i think we will get more earthquake activity in caldera. This area is active and it is volcanic. Nothing serious yet.

Last Edited by so-gui-li on 02/01/2012 11:57 AM
Anonymous Coward
Portugal
02/01/2012 12:01 PM
Report Abusive Post
Yes something is moving and i think we will get more earthquake activity in caldera. This area is active and it is volcanic. Nothing serious yet.

Nothing serious, but something in volcano are changing... and you know that things in volcanos can change without warning. Do you remember to see it like this any time?
so-gui-li  (OP)

Finland
02/01/2012 12:11 PM
Report Abusive Post
Well lots of. All supervolcanoes do same all the time but that kind of swarm and fault line is really unusual and i think that santorini magma moves and it launched this fault line to move.

History stories from witness tell us that situation in santorini can changed really fast. It is one of the most agressive volcanoes in world.
Anonymous Coward
Portugal
02/01/2012 12:15 PM
Report Abusive Post
Well lots of. All supervolcanoes do same all the time but that kind of swarm and fault line is really unusual and i think that santorini magma moves and it launched this fault line to move.

History stories from witness tell us that situation in santorini can changed really fast. It is one of the most agressive volcanoes in world.

And this new unrest takes more or less three hours now! And don't calm down...
Anonymous Coward
Portugal
02/01/2012 01:40 PM
Report Abusive Post
[link to www.santorini.net] webcam
so-gui-li  (OP)

Finland
02/01/2012 03:56 PM
Report Abusive Post
Small earthquake activity near sanorini again. [link to www.emsc-csem.org]

Seismos looks like there is really small movement beneath and around santorini but nothing serious.

[link to www.geophysics.geol.uoa.gr]
[link to bbnet.gein.noa.gr]
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1461154
United States
02/01/2012 04:10 PM
Report Abusive Post
Our solar system is moving through a plasma cloud. This is effecting the earth's core and grid. Add to it the current solar activity and there is the possibilty of large scale earth changes/volcanic activity. The next few days are critical.
so-gui-li  (OP)

Finland
02/01/2012 04:17 PM
Report Abusive Post
Well about that plasma thing it will effect some how in our magnetig field and from there it will effect that volcanic activity but i dont think much.

It looks like to me that earths magnetic positosn switch their place and that will cause really huge movements in earth plates. That makes volcanoes also active. I try investing that theory more when i got time.

Last Edited by so-gui-li on 02/01/2012 04:17 PM
so-gui-li  (OP)

Finland
02/01/2012 04:23 PM
Report Abusive Post
Commenting on the paper, Prof David Pyle, a volcanologist from Oxford University said: "This new work on Santorini sheds new light on what happens in the lead-up to the rare catastrophic eruptions, like the Bronze Age 'Minoan' eruption, which happen every 20,000 years or so.

"The new evidence from mineral grains appears to strengthen the idea, which has been developing in recent years, that large magma systems appear to awaken from long periods of repose only shortly (months, years or decades) prior to eruption.

"That is, the magma which eventually erupts appears to rise into position, in the top few kilometres of the crust, only a short time before the eruption begins."

However, he said the next problem was to try to understand what was causing this accelerated build up of magma.

"The challenge for volcanologists is to understand what it is that causes these bursts of melt movement; to understand where the melts have come from, and to be able to recognise their signals before an eruption begins.

[link to www.bbc.co.uk]

a good article i recommended to read whole article if somebody is intresting about volcanoes.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 10005176
Portugal
02/01/2012 04:38 PM
Report Abusive Post
Commenting on the paper, Prof David Pyle, a volcanologist from Oxford University said: "This new work on Santorini sheds new light on what happens in the lead-up to the rare catastrophic eruptions, like the Bronze Age 'Minoan' eruption, which happen every 20,000 years or so.

"The new evidence from mineral grains appears to strengthen the idea, which has been developing in recent years, that large magma systems appear to awaken from long periods of repose only shortly (months, years or decades) prior to eruption.

"That is, the magma which eventually erupts appears to rise into position, in the top few kilometres of the crust, only a short time before the eruption begins."

However, he said the next problem was to try to understand what was causing this accelerated build up of magma.

"The challenge for volcanologists is to understand what it is that causes these bursts of melt movement; to understand where the melts have come from, and to be able to recognise their signals before an eruption begins.

[link to www.bbc.co.uk]

a good article i recommended to read whole article if somebody is intresting about volcanoes.

Good catch! By the way there are more earthquakes appearing in sismogram.
Anonymous Coward
Portugal
02/01/2012 04:43 PM
Report Abusive Post
Small earthquake activity near sanorini again. [link to www.emsc-csem.org]

Seismos looks like there is really small movement beneath and around santorini but nothing serious.

My friend sorry but this is deffinatly heating up! [link to www.geophysics.geol.uoa.gr]
so-gui-li  (OP)

Finland
02/01/2012 04:48 PM
Report Abusive Post
There is now anything in caldera directly. It's came up that same spot where have that over 5magnitude earthquake.
Anonymous Coward
Portugal
02/01/2012 04:50 PM
Report Abusive Post
There is now anything in caldera directly. It's came up that same spot where have that over 5magnitude earthquake.

I don't know if it's in the caldera or a second spot, but something is changing!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 9939715
United Kingdom
02/01/2012 04:50 PM
Report Abusive Post
looking at the full set of seismic charts on the island, something is definitely up here..

this one's intense..

strong signal on this one too..

and this one..

these 2 are not showing any data..

this one is showing a similar signal to the earlier ones, but a bit weaker..

if you scroll down to the bottom of all the links you can see where they are on the island.

using the archive on the first link, the intense activity started on the 16th january.
Anonymous Coward
Portugal
02/01/2012 04:56 PM
Report Abusive Post
It's clear here that magma is on the moove... In my oppinion from this point the activity can rapidly rise untill it erupt or calm down for little time. Historically how this volcano activity usually evolves?
Anonymous Coward
Portugal
02/01/2012 05:06 PM
Report Abusive Post
bump
jgl
User ID: 9991261
United Kingdom
02/01/2012 06:09 PM
Report Abusive Post
Quakes SW of Santo seem quite widely scattered, mostly shallow with a few deeper. Those beneath Nea Kameni recently, and Koloumbo a couple of years back are more concentrated. Suggests to me that this recent swarm is tectonic, though it seems reasonable to assume they will give NK and K's magma chambers a bit of a shaking. Past volcanic activity has progressed NE from Christianos through Akrotiri, pre-Kameni to Koloumbo and beyond. Is it likely that a volcano is in the making 20Km or so SW of Christianos? I note a couple of 3+ near Amorgos, beyond the little island of Anhydra - can't be far from the location of the first of the devastating quakes in 1956.
One friend says she has felt nothing, but her cats and neighbours have (Karterados), while another says he is getting used to the walls creaking and the cupboards rattling (Kamari).
Thanks for BBC link to Nature mag. I'm off to buy it in the morning.
so-gui-li  (OP)

Finland
02/02/2012 12:34 AM
Report Abusive Post
Good morning from really cold finland. (-35 and wind)

Looks like swarm continues same spot. Santorini itself is quiet.

History shows santorini erupts at least from two wents and erupt time is not long time but it is REALLY agressive and even VEI 2 eruption can cause massive tsunami.
so-gui-li  (OP)

Finland
02/02/2012 03:59 AM
Report Abusive Post
There have been this morning about 2 magnitude quakes both directions sw and nw from santorini so activity in this santorini fault line is still on.
Foveras

User ID: 9933044
Greece
02/02/2012 04:26 AM
Report Abusive Post
here is a nice link about the eruption that destroyed the minoan civilization

[link to translate.google.gr]
Love responsibility,
keep saying, I alone
will save the world
If it gets lost, myself only is responsible

N.Kazantzakis
so-gui-li  (OP)

Finland
02/02/2012 05:36 AM
Report Abusive Post
Thank you foveras it is really good text.

As you can see from that text santorini dont need huge island middel of it when there is possibility really big eruption. And like text say magma and ash are really huge danger but if it generates same time tsunami it is out of scale. It destroyes evrything around aigean sea.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 10039049
Portugal
02/02/2012 07:34 AM
Report Abusive Post
Santorini – End of Civilisation

Posted on February 1, 2012by volcanocafe [link to volcanocafe.wordpress.com]

GLP