Godlike Productions - Discussion Forum
Users Online Now: 2,135 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 920,639
Pageviews Today: 1,534,574Threads Today: 626Posts Today: 10,944
03:30 PM

Rate this Thread

Absolute BS Crap Reasonable Nice Amazing

Santorini (nea kameni volcano) unrest. Water tempature in caldera rising! Magma spot also detected 4km depth.

so-gui-li  (OP)

User ID: 11591283
Finland
03/05/2012 07:01 AM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: Santorini (nea kameni volcano) unrest. Water tempature in caldera rising! Magma spot also detected 4km depth.
2.6 earthquake hits in caldera depth only 4km...

nea kameni seismo:
[link to bbnet.gein.noa.gr]

erthquake map from santorini

[link to geophysics.geo.auth.gr]
jgl
User ID: 12179617
United Kingdom
03/08/2012 11:44 AM
Report Abusive Post
Re: Santorini (nea kameni volcano) unrest. Water tempature in caldera rising! Magma spot also detected 4km depth.
All Greek seismometer traces appear to have stopped at about 0950 UT. The all-Greece maps and individual 'meter info still appearing though, so suspect the site has a fault. Have to go to Athens on Sunday, possibly Santorini for a few hours on Wednesday. Bet it rains!
jgl
User ID: 12223801
United Kingdom
03/09/2012 04:47 AM
Report Abusive Post
They are all back. And it is going to rain!
jgl
User ID: 12291502
United Kingdom
03/10/2012 05:01 PM
Report Abusive Post
Very few quakes at all in Santorini region. Santo wines webcam is back on [link to www.santoriniweb.com]

Am I on my own here now??
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 12255024
United States
03/10/2012 10:59 PM
Report Abusive Post

[liveleak]
[link to www.youtube.com]

[link to www.youtube.com]
Ostria1

User ID: 12491196
Greece
03/14/2012 06:31 AM

Report Abusive Post
Santorini shows signs of restlessness (well it has hit the volcanolostists bogs)

The new activity is around the Nea Kameni small volcanic island

from the article

Over the past year, since January 2011, these instruments have detected a reawakening of the volcano

After approximately 60 years of seismic quiescence within Santorini caldera, in January 2011 the volcano reawakened with a significant seismic swarm and rapidly expanding radial deformation

more
[link to volcanism.wordpress.com]
Ostria
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 12276452
Greece
03/14/2012 08:41 PM
Report Abusive Post
bump
jgl
User ID: 12626884
United Kingdom
03/16/2012 04:20 PM
Report Abusive Post
It did rain in Athens - and it was cold! Didn't get to Santorini unfortunately. Main topic of conversation among the one friend I found who wasn't on holiday in Thailand was the fact that activity around Santorini has stopped! Apparently there is disagreement in the middle newspaper pages.Some think it has finished, others think it may be building up for a big movement. Only time will tell.

Nice bit of video from US Anon, and an interesting blog site from Ostria1. Thanks.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 11198416
Germany
03/19/2012 02:32 PM
Report Abusive Post
Rising Up
Greek volcano reawakens

March 20, 2012

The Greek islands of Santorini, site of one of history's most colossal volcanic eruptions, are rumbling again.

Since January 2011, earthquakes have shaken the landscape and the Santorini volcano's surface has lifted by about 140 millimeters possibly because magma is rising from the deep and filling an underground chamber, scientists report in an upcoming Geophysical Research Letters....

More:
[link to www.thedailystar.net]
Keep Smiling

User ID: 72261
New Zealand
03/19/2012 06:11 PM
Report Abusive Post
bump
so-gui-li  (OP)

User ID: 12820470
Finland
03/20/2012 02:42 AM
Report Abusive Post
Very well this place have been quiet for while but now it looks like that activity is started again. Now main place is kolumbo but i'm quite sure that caldera itself will become active also. Reason is that it really looks like that this place is started collect magma its enermous magmachamber.

Only data what is public now is that ground level is rising and earthquakes continues. There is no information about what is situation water tempature or how much nea kameni push up gas nowdays. Hoply we can get more information what is situation.

But it looks like that magma spot wich one become beneath nea kameni is growing and it is not good.
so-gui-li  (OP)

User ID: 12965947
Finland
03/22/2012 03:42 AM
Report Abusive Post
There have been 4.2 earthquake quite far from santorini but it shows those seismos. That is not problem. Problem is i'm quite sure that there is volcanic movemnt wich one tells that magma chamber grows. Also there have been lots of small earthquakes in santorini caldera and in kolumbo volcano. This place is no more quiet.
Anonymous Coward
Germany
03/22/2012 07:05 AM
Report Abusive Post
hi ophf,

found a nice article at volcano discovery

Recent inflation of the Santorini volcano since 2011 measured by Georgia University Scientists

:InflationSantori:
[link to www.volcanodiscovery.com]

Santorini has remained relatively calm for 60 years since its last eruption in 1950, but started to re-awake in early 2011 with beginning inflation and increased seismic activity under the volcano.
A brand-new study of a team around Professor Andrew Newman, a geophysicist from Georgia Tech university, is now publishing the results of deformation measurements using precise GPS measurements in the scientific journal Geophysical Research Letters...

ReadMore:

[link to www.volcanodiscovery.com]
so-gui-li  (OP)

User ID: 13049255
Finland
03/23/2012 03:04 AM
Report Abusive Post
Good find IWB. That picture shows if santorini goes up and scenario is worst one those arrows show how it explodes

Like that article said magma chamber grows and hoply it came up before it start to melt too much that crystal around island. If it happens there is serious problems.
jgl
User ID: 13117690
United Kingdom
03/24/2012 07:38 AM
Report Abusive Post
Indeed a good site. Must try to find that GPS location, there may be a way of contacting the guys who look after it. Going by map and memory it is probably on a place called Skaros.
jgl
User ID: 13813607
United Kingdom
04/04/2012 05:24 PM
Report Abusive Post
Several small quakes about 15 km due South. We felt a couple of 3+ in that general area last year. It's curious too that there have been quakes around the little island of Anhydra - midway between Santo and Amorgos. All very interesting. I hope to find people from the Volcano/Seismo departments, but the Gods are conspiring against me! I have to return to UK on 23 April - a hospital appointment for possible oral cancer! AND I've been called forward for Jury Service! Don't know when I'll get back to Santo - Doc said it would be 6 weeks if the problem is only precancerous. Longer if it's worse.
so-gui-li  (OP)

User ID: 14098400
Finland
04/10/2012 01:52 AM
Report Abusive Post

Now i hope this is from sea,traffic or some scientists are drilling something. If it is not this is harmonic tremor movement.
jgl
User ID: 14462949
Greece
04/15/2012 03:51 PM
Report Abusive Post
One friend owning a shop in Fira "felt something a couple of weeks ago" All are aware of the situation, but are very careful about what they say - quite understandable. Archaeological site at Akrotiri has reopened. Come to Santorini and see a town buried in volcanic ash 1707 years before Pompeii, there's a very nice cross-section showing surge deposits too.
Phase-Sphere

User ID: 14469723
United States
04/15/2012 05:48 PM
Report Abusive Post
fingerofgod
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1045197
United States
04/15/2012 08:42 PM
Report Abusive Post
:fingerofgod:
 Quoting: Phase-Sphere

bonghit
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 9258462
United States
04/15/2012 10:16 PM
Report Abusive Post
1.1 in santorini in caldera. We will soon see will this one new swarm.
 Quoting: so-gui-li

WATCH STROMBOLI NEXT
so-gui-li  (OP)

User ID: 14564385
Finland
04/17/2012 04:03 AM
Report Abusive Post
[link to geophysics.geo.auth.gr]

3.2 magnitude and 10km dept and it is really really near kolumbo volcano wich is same volcano system than thera.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 13139626
United States
04/17/2012 07:33 PM
Report Abusive Post
Newman, a geophysicist in the School of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, cannot be certain whether an eruption is imminent since observations of such activity on these types of volcanoes are limited. In fact, similar calderas around the globe have shown comparable activity without erupting. However, Newman says the chamber has expanded by 14 million cubic meters since last January. That means enough magma has been pumped into the chamber to fill a sphere three football fields across.
[link to www.cos.gatech.edu]
Anonymous Coward
Germany
04/18/2012 05:38 AM
Report Abusive Post
The Santorini volcano caldera is awake again and rapidly deforming
– April 18, 2012

Santorini is a volcanic island that has been relatively calm since its last eruption in 1950. But, its caldera is awake again and rapidly deforming at levels never seen before. Georgia Tech Associate Professor Andrew Newman has studied Santorini since setting up more than 20 GPS stations on the island in 2006

After decades of little activity, a series of earthquakes and deformation began within the Santorini caldera in January of 2011,” said Newman, whose research is published by Geophysical Research Letters. “Since then, our instruments on the northern part of the island have moved laterally between five and nine centimeters. The volcano’s magma chamber is filling, and we are keeping a close eye on its activity...

ReadMore:

[link to thewatchers.adorraeli.com]
so-gui-li  (OP)

User ID: 14628265
Finland
04/18/2012 09:09 AM
Report Abusive Post

I hope again that this one is from sea movment or drilling or something. Intresting seismo anyway
jgl
User ID: 14656142
Greece
04/18/2012 03:36 PM
Report Abusive Post
We have storm force winds in Santorini. Trees down, dust flying, biggest waves I've ever seen at Kamari and Akrotiri affecting seismometers.
Yesterday (17th) much discolouration of sea around Nea Kameni - presumably hot springs. I understand that someone has found hot underwater springs below Oia cliffs.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 14654020
Portugal
04/18/2012 03:40 PM
Report Abusive Post
We have storm force winds in Santorini. Trees down, dust flying, biggest waves I've ever seen at Kamari and Akrotiri affecting seismometers.
Yesterday (17th) much discolouration of sea around Nea Kameni - presumably hot springs. I understand that someone has found hot underwater springs below Oia cliffs.
 Quoting: jgl 14656142

bump
so-gui-li  (OP)

User ID: 14439131
Finland
04/19/2012 06:06 AM
Report Abusive Post
Thank you really much about information.
So if there is new hot springs it means that magmachamber is really growing and tempature in earth rising also. I not suprised that there is new hot spring if magma spot is about 4km belof surface and there is some water source above magma.

Let see and wait what will happen.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 14688438
Russia
04/19/2012 07:00 AM
Report Abusive Post
 Quoting: jgl 14656142

Discolouration by hot springs - it's really serious sign. It means that we can see soon at least El Hierro scenario if not worse.
Thanks for info!
jgl
User ID: 14960784
United Kingdom
04/24/2012 05:03 AM
Report Abusive Post
Things have calmed down in more ways than one! Little wind to affect seismometers, but not much showing up anyway. Discolouration in caldera is strongest between the two Kameni islands, but is noticeable at several places around Nea. I have not been able to get over to Nea due to the winds, and then running out of time (I have a hospital appointment in UK this pm) I have given a lot of addresses to an interested friend in Kamari and he is going to try to keep me up to date.
Talking to an Air Traffic Controller at the airport yesterday, she said she had felt a quake in the tower about an hour earlier - that would be roughly 0830 UT.
A rather amusing story is circulating amongst the less scientifically minded - "During the period of strongest winds Nea Kameni erupted and nobody noticed" !!!!!!
I've left a message with Santo Wines requesting them to point their webcam further towards Nea Kameni when they reinstall it.
I will be back to Santorini as soon as the Medics permit.

GLP