Godlike Productions - Discussion Forum
Users Online Now: 1,850 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 371,339
Pageviews Today: 635,055Threads Today: 308Posts Today: 4,264
07:31 AM

Rate this Thread

Absolute BS Crap Reasonable Nice Amazing

Santorini (nea kameni volcano) unrest. Water tempature in caldera rising! Magma spot also detected 4km depth.

Ostria1

User ID: 3507642
Greece
10/19/2011 03:30 AM

Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: Santorini (nea kameni volcano) unrest. Water tempature in caldera rising! Magma spot also detected 4km depth.
I hesitate to post this - because it was a dream. But seeing how the whole of the Med is now littered with quakes I think I will.

It was a simple dream but very, very real. I was in a very ancient shop made of stone on the shores of the Med. I was looking out the window to the beautiful colours of the sea and knew that the shop was not going to be there for much longer. The sea was going to take it and I just knew I was in Greece. (I had this dream a couple of months ago).

Now I see all these quakes in the region I can only hope that this quake swarm (and man it is one big swarm) releases all the energy and avoids a big one.

Watching and praying for the beautiful Med and the countries surrounding.
 Quoting: Keep Smiling

Yes it is quite upseting but thanks for posting it!
hf

ps. I still have to search on the quake swarm data.

But use translation and read this about tsunamis (general information but very informative)
[link to www.e-telescope.gr]

from the article about the med/agean region historic data

However, the first historically recorded tsunami occurred in coastal Syria in 2000 BC
In Greece, the oldest is that which destroyed the Persian fleet at Potidaea in Halkidiki in 479 BC
Also very important is the tsunami that hit Alexandria in July 365 AD caused by an earthquake of magnitude 8.2 on the Richter scale. The number of victims rose to 50,000.

Last Edited by Ostria1 on 10/19/2011 03:39 AM
Ostria
Ostria1

Greece
10/19/2011 03:43 AM

Report Abusive Post
Re: Santorini (nea kameni volcano) unrest. Water tempature in caldera rising! Magma spot also detected 4km depth.
I post again the live data links from the seismographs on the Santorini island

Akrotiri
[link to bbnet.gein.noa.gr]

Karterados

Thirasia

Oia

Profitis Ilias (Saint Elia)
this one looks a bit different than the rest

The map of the seismograph locations here
[link to www.zougla.gr]

Ostria
so-gui-li  (OP)

User ID: 1332289
Finland
10/19/2011 04:40 AM
Report Abusive Post
Whoooooooo! Thank you Ostria1. I though that you will find those somewhere. Good find really.
so-gui-li  (OP)

Finland
10/19/2011 04:48 AM
Report Abusive Post
Good link also ostria1 that one about those tsunamis. I had to look it closer later (lot of work to do here in home).

That saint elia seismograph looks quite interesting. Looks like harmonic tremors. I dont think that it could be sea waves because it is in middle of island right? But nothing to worry yet because another seismographs looks pretty quiet yet.
Keep Smiling

User ID: 72261
New Zealand
10/19/2011 08:00 PM
Report Abusive Post
That looks like volcanic tremor to me. The other two look like wind. Unless Santorini has just had a huge storm.

Check out this page which shows what images look like when there is activity on the seismos.

[link to www.geonet.org.nz]
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 2601290
United States
10/19/2011 08:22 PM
Report Abusive Post
Remember when Moses led the Israelites out of egypt and they were following a white pillar at day and a red pillar by night? it was the volcano in Santorini... the very same that wiped out the Minoans... this thing is damn strong and blew half the island to pieces as you can see today...
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 2765198

The eruption that collapsed the caldera and gave the island its modern day crescent shape is much older than the eruption that is blamed for the decline go the Minoan civilisation. The big one was prehistoric.
so-gui-li  (OP)

Finland
10/20/2011 01:40 AM
Report Abusive Post
1.7magnitude now to the south from island.

Yes KS i think that New Zeland geonet site i best in the world. That quide how to read seismographs is really good and it is good to read all peoples who is interesting about to look seismographs.
so-gui-li  (OP)

Finland
10/20/2011 04:11 AM
Report Abusive Post
0.5 earhquake in the caldera.

But i had to check what kind of weather is in santorini because this one looks really scary now. It is like el hierro seismo:

so-gui-li  (OP)

Finland
10/20/2011 04:43 AM
Report Abusive Post
Well wind is 11kmh speed in there. Some kind of construction work can cause that also.
so-gui-li  (OP)

Finland
10/20/2011 09:51 AM
Report Abusive Post

This dont look good. Have you Ostria1 or Foveras any idea what is going on there?
so-gui-li  (OP)

Finland
10/20/2011 11:26 AM
Report Abusive Post
[link to geophysics.geo.auth.gr]

1.4magnitude hits in the caldera
so-gui-li  (OP)

Finland
10/20/2011 02:17 PM
Report Abusive Post
Now 0.7 magnitude earthquake
Ostria1

Greece
10/20/2011 04:06 PM

Report Abusive Post
last 48 hours.. it looks bad
Ostria
Keep Smiling

New Zealand
10/20/2011 06:33 PM
Report Abusive Post
last 48 hours.. it looks bad
 Quoting: Ostria1

Well, its pretty easy spotting which island is Santorini on that map.

About that nasty looking seismo. If it was volcanic tremor it isn't continuous which I would normally put down to 'something else', but with all those quakes going on maybe it was a volcanic burp (I just made that up as I have no idea what that graph and this swarm means).

Watching....

How close are those other seismos to Santorini? Am having trouble with the locations. Would any of those other seismos be close enough to give another picture of what might be happening?
EleKtroN

User ID: 3722041
United States
10/20/2011 08:54 PM
Report Abusive Post
Last month i visited Santorini, nea kameni, palea kameni, and thirasia, i'd like to share with you some of the pictures i took while vacationing there.

In this picture you can see Nea kameni, is taken from Imerovigli, Santorini.
[link to oi55.tinypic.com]
[liveleak] [link to oi55.tinypic.com]

This picture is taken from Nea kameni volcano, looking at Imerovigli.
[link to oi54.tinypic.com]
[liveleak] [link to oi54.tinypic.com]

In this picture you can see a team of scientists, Nea Kameni is monitored closely by scientists from the Institute for the Study and Monitoring of the Santorini Volcano (ISMOSAV).
[link to oi56.tinypic.com]
[liveleak] [link to oi56.tinypic.com]

In this picture you can see Palia Kameni.

Visitors walk by the edge of the crater, top right your can see some active sulfur vents.
[link to oi52.tinypic.com]
[liveleak] [link to oi52.tinypic.com]

Santorini Volcano
The Volcano of Santorini Palea (old) Kameni and Nea (new) Kameni (an adjective that means burned in Greek) are two small islands of black lava positioned in the centre of the basin of Santorini and are, geographically, the youngest islets in the Eastern Mediterranean.

Palea Kameni is about 2000 years old while Nea Kameni’s “life” does not exceed 500 years.Caldera, as the volcano is called, is one of the main attractions of Santorini and the setting of many villages.

Tourists can visit the volcano by taking one of the daily cruises advertised in any village. One can walk upon the solid black lava sides of the steaming volcano.Nea Kameni is the central one, and once on its shore, after a walk of 20 minutes in the “lunar” scenery, visitors will discover the volcano’s crater and other openings bursting with sulphur steam.
Keep Smiling

New Zealand
10/20/2011 09:03 PM
Report Abusive Post
Thanks for those photos Elektron. Santorini is such a beautiful part of the world. As corny as it sounds - I remember Santorini as where I had one of the most romantic days of my life.

Did you get to Knossos on Crete? A fascinating place.

Have to say the volcanoes look settled and quiet with those photos.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1540313
United States
10/20/2011 09:06 PM
Report Abusive Post
thanks for the post!
EleKtroN

United States
10/20/2011 09:22 PM
Report Abusive Post
You're welcome.
so-gui-li  (OP)

Finland
10/21/2011 01:57 AM
Report Abusive Post
Thank you about photos Elektron.

About that scary seismograph i hope it is drilling or something like that. I think so because it ends in the night. Let see how it goes.

All seismographs are in caldera rim. Santorini island is only caldera rim where peoples live in the world. Maybe Lake toba is another. Whole santorini is volcano island.

It is good thing that scientist are serious about santorini threat. That earthquake map shows santorini is waking up now and this place can become really active really fast.

Here is that kind of video clip that i had to find whole film somewhere today.
so-gui-li  (OP)

Finland
10/21/2011 01:57 AM
Report Abusive Post

here that clip.
so-gui-li  (OP)

Finland
10/21/2011 04:02 AM
Report Abusive Post
0.7 magnitude in the caldera now.

so-gui-li  (OP)

Finland
10/21/2011 04:17 AM
Report Abusive Post
Now 1.4 magnitude earthquake in the caldera
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 3720528
France
10/21/2011 06:28 AM
Report Abusive Post
a thread for hotSpotards?

Hotspot (geology):
[link to en.wikipedia.org]

Great Meteor hotspot track:
[link to en.wikipedia.org]

Example of research:
[link to www.google.com]

Geologists TPTB are a little shy..
They dare not draw lines to join a hot spot to another.

Canary> Madeira >...> all volcanoes in North Africa> Egypt >...>
Madeira> Portugal> Spain>...(Mounted to the north - Cantal/ Eifel)...> Baleares >...> >...> >...> Sardignia> Italy>>>Greece>Crete>Cyprus>Turkey/..Andana>>>>>>...etc...

Osez!
Go for it!
so-gui-li  (OP)

Finland
10/21/2011 12:55 PM
Report Abusive Post
Well santorini is not hotspot. It takes it energy when africa plate push european plate and also it takes energy when many microplates moving in mediterraen sea.

Here is good information about that:

[link to www.explorevolcanoes.com]

And this seismograph dont look good

EleKtroN

United States
10/21/2011 04:21 PM
Report Abusive Post
Informative links about Nea Kameni.

Magma Chambers under Nea Kameni.
[link to ismosav.santorini.net]
[liveleak] [link to ismosav.santorini.net]

Monitoring Networks in Santorini.

Santorini 3D Topo Bath.

Creation of Palea and Nea Kameni.

Geological map of Santorini.
so-gui-li  (OP)

Finland
10/21/2011 05:03 PM
Report Abusive Post
Thank you really much Elektron! Really great links. They are really informative.

One comment about that picture which one shows how nea and paleo cameni created really short period. It means that santorini volcano magma chamber is refilling really fast, it have been erupted many times little by little growing those islands and those islands grow up because magma and pressure grows.

I'm not sure how fast those island grow but looks really fast to me.

Number one about that thing is by the way anak krakatau.
EleKtroN

United States
10/21/2011 05:21 PM
Report Abusive Post
You're welcome.
so-gui-li  (OP)

Finland
10/23/2011 01:44 PM
Report Abusive Post
0.9 magnitude earthquake now.

Let see how the huge turkey earthquake in same fault line will effect this spot.
so-gui-li  (OP)

Finland
10/23/2011 01:46 PM
Report Abusive Post

this seismograph is quite strange.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 3862133
Israel
10/23/2011 01:58 PM
Report Abusive Post
Last month i visited Santorini, nea kameni, palea kameni, and thirasia, i'd like to share with you some of the pictures i took while vacationing there.

In this picture you can see Nea kameni, is taken from Imerovigli, Santorini.
[link to oi55.tinypic.com]
[liveleak] [link to oi55.tinypic.com]

This picture is taken from Nea kameni volcano, looking at Imerovigli.

In this picture you can see a team of scientists, Nea Kameni is monitored closely by scientists from the Institute for the Study and Monitoring of the Santorini Volcano (ISMOSAV).
[link to oi56.tinypic.com]
[liveleak] [link to oi56.tinypic.com]

In this picture you can see Palia Kameni.

Visitors walk by the edge of the crater, top right your can see some active sulfur vents.
[link to oi52.tinypic.com]
[liveleak] [link to oi52.tinypic.com]
 Quoting: EleKtroN

Santorini Volcano
The Volcano of Santorini Palea (old) Kameni and Nea (new) Kameni (an adjective that means burned in Greek) are two small islands of black lava positioned in the centre of the basin of Santorini and are, geographically, the youngest islets in the Eastern Mediterranean.

Palea Kameni is about 2000 years old while Nea Kameni’s “life” does not exceed 500 years.Caldera, as the volcano is called, is one of the main attractions of Santorini and the setting of many villages.

Tourists can visit the volcano by taking one of the daily cruises advertised in any village. One can walk upon the solid black lava sides of the steaming volcano.Nea Kameni is the central one, and once on its shore, after a walk of 20 minutes in the “lunar” scenery, visitors will discover the volcano’s crater and other openings bursting with sulphur steam.

THOSE ARE SO BEAUTIFUL!

I have been looking into tsunami patterns in the Med too, trying to see where it will destroy should Santorini go off pop again.

GLP