Godlike Productions - Discussion Forum
Users Online Now: 1,377 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 170,213
Pageviews Today: 285,393Threads Today: 92Posts Today: 1,356
02:56 AM

Rate this Thread

Absolute BS Crap Reasonable Nice Amazing

Santorini (nea kameni volcano) unrest. Water tempature in caldera rising! Magma spot also detected 4km depth.

so-gui-li  (OP)

User ID: 1332289
Finland
11/23/2011 07:34 AM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: Santorini (nea kameni volcano) unrest. Water tempature in caldera rising! Magma spot also detected 4km depth.
About that uturuncu volcano it is really bad place. It grows really fast. I think only anak krakatau grow more faster or about same speed. Magma there is really dangerous also in uturuncu and there have been lots of activity also in Altiplano-Puna volcanic complex and absolutely some of those volcanoes can make supereruption.

In about that speed it will erupt before it collects enough magma about vei 8 eruption. Magma rise so fast that i dont think that landscape can hold it enough long.
so-gui-li  (OP)

Finland
11/23/2011 07:38 AM
Report Abusive Post
Re: Santorini (nea kameni volcano) unrest. Water tempature in caldera rising! Magma spot also detected 4km depth.
Oh shit. 2.3 earthquake hits directly in santorini magma chamber. Looks like crete 5.5 (just update) hits after this.

Now i ask is Theras magma huge amount magma moving that kind of way that it cause that 5.5 magnitude earthquake near Crete. This is really big question.
so-gui-li  (OP)

Finland
11/23/2011 07:40 AM
Report Abusive Post
[link to bbnet.gein.noa.gr]

here is again those seismographs from santorini.
Ostria1

User ID: 5778426
Greece
11/23/2011 07:47 AM

Report Abusive Post
Oh shit. 2.3 earthquake hits directly in santorini magma chamber. Looks like crete 5.5 (just update) hits after this.

Now i ask is Theras magma huge amount magma moving that kind of way that it cause that 5.5 magnitude earthquake near Crete. This is really big question.
 Quoting: so-gui-li

Wow I opened the first seismograph and it hit me! hehe
hmmm I think the two spots are away from each other, but I dont know if they have cartographed the chamber or chambers under the volcano to see how big it is. But again this last quake was south of Crete, so many klms away.
Ostria
so-gui-li  (OP)

Finland
11/23/2011 08:17 AM
Report Abusive Post
Yes you are right but thera is huge volcano and it takes it energy from those plate movement and its magma rivers can be so far that magma can launch those earthquakes if it moves. This is my opinion but all this seismic activity near greece really worry me.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 5866270
Ireland
11/23/2011 08:24 AM
Report Abusive Post
Yes you are right but thera is huge volcano and it takes it energy from those plate movement and its magma rivers can be so far that magma can launch those earthquakes if it moves. This is my opinion but all this seismic activity near greece really worry me.

I love your threads So gui-li :)
always informative and interesting
so-gui-li  (OP)

Finland
11/23/2011 09:49 AM
Report Abusive Post
Thank you about your words. I'll do my best =D.

There had now 4.7 earhquake in crete but here in this seismograph: [link to bbnet.gein.noa.gr] is interesting data now because it reacts about those crete earthquakes. It could mean that thera magma chamber reacts also what is normal. What is not normal this looks like something is broke beneath santorini. I mean something could be rising and there is not many options what it is.
so-gui-li  (OP)

Finland
11/23/2011 12:13 PM
Report Abusive Post
[link to geophysics.geo.auth.gr]

2.2 earhquake now and in magma chamber. There is swarm again.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 5901483
Canada
11/23/2011 12:25 PM
Report Abusive Post

2.2 earhquake now and in magma chamber. There is swarm again.

Good call on pointing this one out. That's clearly in the vicinity of Santorini.
so-gui-li  (OP)

Finland
11/24/2011 02:49 AM
Report Abusive Post

1.1 earthquake and there have been lots of swarming in santorini
Ostria1

Greece
11/24/2011 04:35 AM

Report Abusive Post
On the 5R south of Crete (yesterday), I heard more just now on the tv news.
The reporter said that the seismologists are not alarmed, though the Phestos area shook for good and there was an aftershake of 4.2 some hours later. The reporter added that the people of Crete are quite alarmed from the latest earthquakes around the island.
Ostria
so-gui-li  (OP)

Finland
11/24/2011 11:53 AM
Report Abusive Post
I'm not supraised that they are worried about those quakes. There have been lots of seismic activity now.

There is also in sanorini caldera some activity and now there hits 2.3 earthquake in the caldera and only 5km depth. I think it means that magma is moving. Not good.

so-gui-li  (OP)

Finland
11/24/2011 01:08 PM
Report Abusive Post
0.3 magnitude and 1.3 magnitude same spot. This seismograph tells that there is not all ok.

so-gui-li  (OP)

Finland
11/25/2011 02:34 AM
Report Abusive Post

Here you can see what kind of swarm is going on again in caldera. All red ones are from last 24hour. Looks like this place is more active than Katla.
so-gui-li  (OP)

Finland
11/25/2011 05:29 AM
Report Abusive Post
Hey ostria1 can you or somebody confirm that there have been sulfur smelling in santorini. If thats true it is not good thing.
so-gui-li  (OP)

Finland
11/25/2011 01:58 PM
Report Abusive Post
There have been 0.7 next to caldera and now 1.1 in the caldera. Seismographs looks like there harmonicthemors. Lots of. And some report that sulfur smells in the island. I dont like that at all.
so-gui-li  (OP)

Finland
11/26/2011 04:01 AM
Report Abusive Post
0.8 earthquake in caldera now. Magma moving.

Ostria1

Greece
11/26/2011 04:58 AM

Report Abusive Post
Hey ostria1 can you or somebody confirm that there have been sulfur smelling in santorini. If thats true it is not good thing.

I found one post (in english) claiming that the sulfur smelling increased this summer, but nothing more.
[link to www.greek-islands-travel.co.uk]

But I also found an article from November 1st that says that one of the scientists who watch the activity there claims that the volcano is still dormant inspite the recent seismic activity (this of the summer). It seems that they had an announcment on all these some days ago (they do it every year to inform both the government and the residents there) (in greek)
[link to kykladesnews.gr]

And I also found recent article on some unknown bacteria they have found in Columbo. (also in greek)
[link to www.tanea.gr]

But I remember I read some years ago that NASA was interested in the Santorini volcano and its bacteria (as well as in other extreem envirenments on the earth) for its study of the beggining of life.
Here it is from 2008
[link to www.greeka.com]

Last Edited by Ostria1 on 11/26/2011 04:59 AM
Ostria
so-gui-li  (OP)

Finland
11/28/2011 08:34 AM
Report Abusive Post
Thank you ostria 1 really good links again.

There is currently going on swarm in santorini. There have been many little earhquakes last 24hour. All in the magmachamber so there is activity and if there that sulfur smells it is alway clear mark that magma is unrest.
jgl
User ID: 6168970
United Kingdom
11/28/2011 10:07 AM
Report Abusive Post
We stay in Santorini for the summer. Next door neighbour is tour guide doing volcano trips. She says sulphur smell worse this year than last. Discolouration from undersea springs also more noticeable.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1286515
United States
11/28/2011 10:24 AM
Report Abusive Post
Well there is activity also in santorini.

[link to www.emsc-csem.org]

Just a little swamp gas...
Ostria1

Greece
11/28/2011 10:50 AM

Report Abusive Post
Well there is activity also in santorini.

Just a little swamp gas...
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1286515

hehe the map looks very alarming, isnt it?

Anyway, I couldnt find any other posts on the smell there, the good news is that the buildings are well prepared for bigger quakes and santorini has an airport in case of emergency evacuation.

What seems alarming these days are the small quakes between Parta and Nafpaktos. The more recent are very shallow (1 klm deep) so the people there feel them even if they are around 3. (one was 3.7 I think).
Ostria
so-gui-li  (OP)

Finland
11/28/2011 11:20 AM
Report Abusive Post
Yes that map shows that santorini caldera is really active. Now there was 1.0 earthquake. Magma inside caldera is alive and looks like that it is also really active.

There is possibility that santorini its just refilling its magma chamber and are not going erupt but i'm not sure. Anyway situation is not good.
so-gui-li  (OP)

Finland
11/28/2011 11:20 AM
Report Abusive Post
Yes that map shows that santorini caldera is really active. Now there was 1.0 earthquake. Magma inside caldera is alive and looks like that it is also really active.

There is possibility that santorini its just refilling its magma chamber and are not going erupt but i'm not sure. Anyway situation is not good.
so-gui-li  (OP)

Finland
11/29/2011 01:53 AM
Report Abusive Post

Many of those earthquakes energy from this map is plate movemt and that energy generates magma in santorini magma chamber. It is little bit scary map really if you think that way.

Swarm continue in caldera. Now 0.7 earthquake but seismos are quite ok now. [link to geophysics.geo.auth.gr]
so-gui-li  (OP)

Finland
11/29/2011 02:53 AM
Report Abusive Post
2.0 earthquake strikes directly in the magma chamber and look seismograph

so-gui-li  (OP)

Finland
11/29/2011 12:08 PM
Report Abusive Post
After that 2.0 earthquake there have been another 2.0 earthquake near santorini and now 2.1 earthquake wich one hits directly in magma chamber.

One seismograph is down and one gets wild so lets how long this swarm will continue.
so-gui-li  (OP)

Finland
11/29/2011 12:55 PM
Report Abusive Post
Now there hits 2.3 earthquake directly in magmachamber. Only 2km depth. This is not good.
so-gui-li  (OP)

Finland
11/29/2011 02:22 PM
Report Abusive Post

now 1.4 earthquake in caldera

Last Edited by so-gui-li on 11/29/2011 02:22 PM
Keep Smiling

User ID: 72261
New Zealand
11/29/2011 03:16 PM
Report Abusive Post
On the 5R south of Crete (yesterday), I heard more just now on the tv news.
The reporter said that the seismologists are not alarmed, though the Phestos area shook for good and there was an aftershake of 4.2 some hours later. The reporter added that the people of Crete are quite alarmed from the latest earthquakes around the island.
 Quoting: Ostria1

Well, if hardened locals used to quakes are alarmed - to me that is a heads up.

Thanks for the great reporting you two.

Last Edited by Keep Smiling on 11/29/2011 03:16 PM

GLP