Godlike Productions - Discussion Forum
Users Online Now: 2,114 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 1,577,821
Pageviews Today: 2,297,466Threads Today: 620Posts Today: 12,828
06:41 PM

Rate this Thread

Absolute BS Crap Reasonable Nice Amazing

Oh No, I did it... Something I have always wanted to avoid. DANG! Texting v. Talking

KoFFee_
Offer Upgrade

User ID: 1373078
United States
10/13/2011 04:52 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Oh No, I did it... Something I have always wanted to avoid. DANG! Texting v. Talking
A recent Sprint commercial, that I don't care for, shows a family seated at the dinner table. The mother is tweeting and texting them right at the table instead of talking directly to them. She does speak a few words, but it is to prove a point of what does really happen today.

When I first saw that commercial I remember telling my son, who had watched it with me, that I would never do that--text someone in the house.

Well, I just did it today.

My son was upstairs in his room, I was downstairs on the computer--lunch was ready. My cell phone was right there so I text him and told him it was ready.

I swore I would never do that. It takes me 2 seconds to get up and walk over to the stairs and call him down, but I reverted to this "voiceless technology"--why? It upset me and hopefully I won't do it again.

Don't get me wrong, I realize that all this new technology has it's advantages.

I love the fact that I am able to work out of my home and interact with people all over the world via the internet.

Even with my cell phone I get a sense of peace & safety in knowing that I can have contact with others at all times, as well as they with me.

But still, is all this technology changing the way we converse and interact with the world around us in a negative way--are we losing our ability to communicate face to face?

When at the restaurant the other day, I notice we were not talking as much as we use to. Why? Both my sons were texting and I decided to call my sister because they were texting. That's not right!

Actually, the next time we go out to eat, I am suggesting we shut our phones off until after the meal.

The texting appears to be more popular than talking, too.

At least with talking you hear emotion and voices, not with texting.

How about the rest of you, do you text in your house to each other? Do you prefer texting over talking?

Do you think this "voiceless" way of communicating is having a positive or negative effect on our daily interaction with people?
However, I consider my life worth nothing to me; my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task
the Lord Jesus has given me—the task of testifying to the good news of God’s grace. Acts 20:24

"This man really is the Savior of the world!" John 4:42

Look, he is coming with the clouds, and every eye will see him, even those who pierced him;
and all the peoples of the earth will mourn because of him. So shall it be! Amen.
I am the Alpha and the Omega, " says the Lord God, who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty." Revelation 1:7
PopeJean

User ID: 1086216
United States
10/13/2011 04:54 PM
Report Abusive Post
Re: Oh No, I did it... Something I have always wanted to avoid. DANG! Texting v. Talking
I love that I don't have a cell phone. hf
KoFFee_  (OP)

United States
10/13/2011 05:01 PM
Report Abusive Post
Re: Oh No, I did it... Something I have always wanted to avoid. DANG! Texting v. Talking
I love that I don't have a cell phone. hf
 Quoting: PopeJean

As in--never had a cell phone?
However, I consider my life worth nothing to me; my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task
the Lord Jesus has given me—the task of testifying to the good news of God’s grace. Acts 20:24

Look, he is coming with the clouds, and every eye will see him, even those who pierced him;
and all the peoples of the earth will mourn because of him. So shall it be! Amen.
I am the Alpha and the Omega, " says the Lord God, who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty." Revelation 1:7
KoFFee_  (OP)

United States
10/13/2011 05:15 PM
Report Abusive Post
Here is some interesting facts:

1. Some 83% of American adults own cell phones and three-quarters of them (73%) send and receive text messages.

2. Text messaging users send or receive an average of 41.5 messages on a typical day, with the median user sending or receiving 10 texts daily.

3. Cell phone owners make or receive an average of 12 calls on their cells per day.

4. Young adults are the most avid texters by a wide margin. Cell owners between the ages of 18 and 24 exchange an average of 109.5 messages on a normal day.
That works out to almost 7 messages per hour over a 16-hour day, or about one every 9 minutes.

[link to pewresearch.org]

Pa resident1

User ID: 464271
United States
10/13/2011 05:21 PM
Report Abusive Post
We do not allow texting at the dinner table (or lunch table or breakfast table).

I have a droid and only use it to text friends/family occasionally that live far away.

Husband rarely texts - usually if he gets a text it's business related.
"When you don't keep your word, you lose credibility and trustworthy friends"
KoFFee_  (OP)

United States
10/13/2011 05:28 PM
Report Abusive Post
We do not allow texting at the dinner table (or lunch table or breakfast table).

I have a droid and only use it to text friends/family occasionally that live far away.

Husband rarely texts - usually if he gets a text it's business related.
 Quoting: Pa resident1

Hello PA resident1,

God's Peace be with you, my friend,

How are you doing?

I hardly text, I prefer talking. I like to "hear" my responses.

A couple of years ago, my favorite sister passed away. We didn't live in the same state, but every now and then I would call her just to hear her voice. Of course we always enjoyed our conversation, my phone bill reflected that, but there was something comforting in just hearing her voice.

Do you know what I mean?
hf

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 3307772
United States
10/14/2011 07:49 PM
Report Abusive Post
lol
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1145382
United States
10/14/2011 11:07 PM
Report Abusive Post
I think it's definitely changing the way we communicate but it will probably be a while before we really realize all the effects. It's hard to say sometimes whether it brings people closer or distances them.
For instance, this friend was talking about how she and her husband met some people on vacation and the people asked for their phone number. They didn't really want to get involved with them so they gave them their email address instead ("we can be pen pals" is what my friend was thinking- it didn't seem as personal and that way they'd be easier to get rid of).

The flip side of that is I knew someone who talked on the phone every few years to keep in touch with someone and when she gave them her email address they started sending long emails all the time. So- in one way they were in touch more, but emailing is less personal. You never know if the person is actually reading everything you say, especially if you get short answers back. So, in a way, it's like talking to yourself.

I don't do any texting and I'm just really not into it. It seems really egotistical that some people are constantly telling other people what they are doing, eating, etc.
Nobody has any privacy anymore. It's like everyone wants to be the star of their own reality show.
I was stopped next to a school bus last year and was amazed that the kids were so quiet until I realized they were all texting. It's weird to me that this whole group of kids were together but not interacting with each other- instead they were communicating with someone not there.

I don't like social networks because it seems like no privacy and a lot of showing off. People end up friend-ing people from their past that they never really even liked that much. Plus, a huge number of divorces are being caused by people finding old girlfriends and boyfriends online. Even if they don't meet and it's just friendly, when their spouse finds out they are contacting an old flame it causes a lot of trouble-but it's just so easy to do, especially if you see them on Facebook or something.
Plus, someone can sit in their family room with spouse and kids and be having cyber sex online or something weird like that. That's one of the really radical changes about society. Then there are those games that people get into a whole fantasy cyber-world.

On MSNBC tonight they showed a toddler playing with a computer and then trying to find buttons to push on a magazine. A lot of babies are growing up being used to seeing their grandparents on Skype. They are even used to seeing themselves on computer videos-sometimes watching themselves watching themselves on a video. That's a mindblower to me but that's how they are growing up.

There are some books that have been written on the subject- even how computers, texting, kindles, etc. are changing our brains and the way we think. Schools are staring to not teach cursive writing anymore and spelling and grammar don't matter as much when the speed of technical information is more important than the way it's written.
It's changing the world a lot, sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse.
KoFFee_  (OP)

United States
10/14/2011 11:28 PM
Report Abusive Post
I think it's definitely changing the way we communicate but it will probably be a while before we really realize all the effects. It's hard to say sometimes whether it brings people closer or distances them.
For instance, this friend was talking about how she and her husband met some people on vacation and the people asked for their phone number. They didn't really want to get involved with them so they gave them their email address instead ("we can be pen pals" is what my friend was thinking- it didn't seem as personal and that way they'd be easier to get rid of).

The flip side of that is I knew someone who talked on the phone every few years to keep in touch with someone and when she gave them her email address they started sending long emails all the time. So- in one way they were in touch more, but emailing is less personal. You never know if the person is actually reading everything you say, especially if you get short answers back. So, in a way, it's like talking to yourself.

I don't do any texting and I'm just really not into it. It seems really egotistical that some people are constantly telling other people what they are doing, eating, etc.
Nobody has any privacy anymore. It's like everyone wants to be the star of their own reality show.
I was stopped next to a school bus last year and was amazed that the kids were so quiet until I realized they were all texting. It's weird to me that this whole group of kids were together but not interacting with each other- instead they were communicating with someone not there.

I don't like social networks because it seems like no privacy and a lot of showing off. People end up friend-ing people from their past that they never really even liked that much. Plus, a huge number of divorces are being caused by people finding old girlfriends and boyfriends online. Even if they don't meet and it's just friendly, when their spouse finds out they are contacting an old flame it causes a lot of trouble-but it's just so easy to do, especially if you see them on Facebook or something.
Plus, someone can sit in their family room with spouse and kids and be having cyber sex online or something weird like that. That's one of the really radical changes about society. Then there are those games that people get into a whole fantasy cyber-world.

On MSNBC tonight they showed a toddler playing with a computer and then trying to find buttons to push on a magazine. A lot of babies are growing up being used to seeing their grandparents on Skype. They are even used to seeing themselves on computer videos-sometimes watching themselves watching themselves on a video. That's a mindblower to me but that's how they are growing up.

There are some books that have been written on the subject- even how computers, texting, kindles, etc. are changing our brains and the way we think. Schools are staring to not teach cursive writing anymore and spelling and grammar don't matter as much when the speed of technical information is more important than the way it's written.
It's changing the world a lot, sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1145382

Good Evening AC,

You bring up a lot of good points here.

For some reason, board games came to mind. I haven't played one in quite awhile. I think I am going to make a point to mention this to my sons--maybe we can start a game night of board games. Sounds like a good idea to me--lots of fun, competitive interaction.

You know what else I realized about myself, I don't write that often anymore--I write out a couple of checks at the end of the month for bills--when I go to write, it is as if I've forgotten how. My writing isn't as neat as it used to be. I think it's because I type all my messages, letters, cards now, so my fingers aren't used to the pen/pencil in my hand.

Well, thanks again for the reply.
God Bless You and enjoy the rest of your evening.
hf

GLP