Important info for dog owners

Pangn

User ID: 3243601
United States
11/21/2011 06:56 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: Important info for dog owners

oh yeah i have seen it. my dog does sometimes. I feed him Purina Pro Plan. He has a good weight, coat, energy level, regular bowls and is perfectly healthy.
 Quoting: MrOysterhead

Anything Purina is bad

[link to petfoodtalk.com]

ANY dog food with corn in it needs to be replaced immedietly.

Honestly, 4 Health by Tractor Supply is cheaper than Purina and has wonderful ingredients.
 Quoting: Pangn

well it works for me and my dog.

funy how it sais " should be REPLACED immediately" i personally can not replace my dog ..
because i love him ...
thus treat him as dogs deserve to be treated
fair
 Quoting: Amanapple

Yeap
Amanapple

User ID: 5786915
Belgium
11/21/2011 07:02 PM
Report Abusive Post

Anything Purina is bad

[link to petfoodtalk.com]

ANY dog food with corn in it needs to be replaced immedietly.

Honestly, 4 Health by Tractor Supply is cheaper than Purina and has wonderful ingredients.

funy how it sais " should be REPLACED immediately" i personally can not replace my dog ..
because i love him ...
fair

Yeap

well then just because you say so !
I won't "replace" my dog !
I have flaws, I was just as surprised as you when I found out!

[link to www.youtube.com (secure)]
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1337441
United States
11/21/2011 07:04 PM
Report Abusive Post

if you won't eat it ?
why give it to another living being ?

hf

compassion goes a long way

because we dont have the same digestive system is one reason

YOU can't even properly digest dried chicken tho

which is why i wouldnt eat dried chicken.

i am not saying that store bought dog food is the best thing for a dog. but i dont think you can feed them just real meat either. dog food does contain nutrients that plain meat doesnt because a "wild dog"...say..a wolf... would eat all parts of the animal it killed thus getting all of the nutrients it needs not just protiens.

You can supplement home cooked foods with dog vitamins from the pet store, online or from your vet.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1485080
United States
11/21/2011 07:05 PM
Report Abusive Post
Okay so I went to the website of the brand jerky treat I have purchased for my dog in the past and here is what they had to say about this FDA warning:

Q: Why did the FDA issue a statement cautioning consumers about chicken jerky?

A: As dog owners and dog lovers, we applaud the FDA for issuing a preemptive health notification and we hope the FDA’s comments will bring attention and education to consumers who may be overusing dog treats.

It has been widely accepted that dog illnesses and any association with chicken jerky is likely the result of dogs (mostly small) consuming treats in excess of normal or recommended levels. Extensive testing performed by public and private laboratories has not uncovered a contaminant or specific ingredient as the cause of illness. Other factors identified as possibly contributing to signs of illness include sudden alteration of diet or imbalances in total nutrition.

[link to waggintrainbrand.com]

I was annoyed at the MSNBC link reporting the FDA warning because there are no specifics whatsoever... Why can't they identify the contaminant after conducting testing, and why can't they pin point exact brands causing the problem? Surely if they can calculate the number of dog illnesses or deaths, they can find a common product that the owners are giving their dogs.... Information was way too vague...
Amanapple

User ID: 5786915
Belgium
11/21/2011 07:07 PM
Report Abusive Post
Okay so I went to the website of the brand jerky treat I have purchased for my dog in the past and here is what they had to say about this FDA warning:

Q: Why did the FDA issue a statement cautioning consumers about chicken jerky?

A: As dog owners and dog lovers, we applaud the FDA for issuing a preemptive health notification and we hope the FDA’s comments will bring attention and education to consumers who may be overusing dog treats.

It has been widely accepted that dog illnesses and any association with chicken jerky is likely the result of dogs (mostly small) consuming treats in excess of normal or recommended levels. Extensive testing performed by public and private laboratories has not uncovered a contaminant or specific ingredient as the cause of illness. Other factors identified as possibly contributing to signs of illness include sudden alteration of diet or imbalances in total nutrition.

[link to waggintrainbrand.com]

I was annoyed at the MSNBC link reporting the FDA warning because there are no specifics whatsoever... Why can't they identify the contaminant after conducting testing, and why can't they pin point exact brands causing the problem? Surely if they can calculate the number of dog illnesses or deaths, they can find a common product that the owners are giving their dogs.... Information was way too vague...
 Quoting: ANHEDONIC

oh well isn' tthat the perfect post to fuse dog health and obisity into one singular post !!

Well done !!!hf
I have flaws, I was just as surprised as you when I found out!

[link to www.youtube.com (secure)]
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1485080
United States
11/21/2011 07:15 PM
Report Abusive Post

because we dont have the same digestive system is one reason

i am not saying that store bought dog food is the best thing for a dog. but i dont think you can feed them just real meat either. dog food does contain nutrients that plain meat doesnt because a "wild dog"...say..a wolf... would eat all parts of the animal it killed thus getting all of the nutrients it needs not just protiens.

You can supplement home cooked foods with dog vitamins from the pet store, online or from your vet.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1337441

Dog vitamins are very expensive... So are some of the organic food brands.... My vet pushed some pills on me during my last vet visit, something for their joints, and it was $55 for a month's supply! Some of the organic food brands are $60 or more a bag. I'm paying about $28 a month to have my dog on a wellness plan at my local vet... As a single income household (I bring in the only income), I cannot afford to be spending an extra $60 a month on dog vitamins and an extra $30 a month to buy the organic food brands...

Now don't get me wrong, I love my dog dearly and he is pampered and spoiled at home with non-stop attention... He gets his daily treats when I get home, milkbones in the morning, and the occasional chicken & rice dinner and chewy's on the weekend... But sometimes I think pet owner's can go overboard with their pets (as well as the expenses). Growing up in the 80's and 90's we didn't feed our dogs organic foods or give them vitamins and many of our pets lived their normal life expectancies... I'm sure many other pet owners can attest the same... But now, in 2011, with the health food craze (Whole Foods anyone?), people can quickly get a sense that they're doing their animals a disservice by feeding them non-organic food brands, etc etc.... I definitely got the sense that my Vet was pushing those joint vitamins on me during my visit because she conveniently decided not to mention that the pills were nearly $60 a month!

I can't help but feel to some degree, we as Consumers are being taken advantage off... Either through paying a premium for these goods or through clever marketing to make us believe our Pets are in danger if they don't consume the recommended products.
Mt.Mama
User ID: 3425941
United States
11/21/2011 07:15 PM
Report Abusive Post
Thanks OP! I personally don't give jerky treats of any kind to my dogs but will definately spread the word. What else would one expect from China..they eat domestic animals!crazy
Just Some Guy

User ID: 1235825
United States
11/21/2011 07:23 PM
Report Abusive Post
Why are we getting food stores of any kind from China?
They are filthy and unscrupulous people.
There is no reason to be buying food from China, not for me, and not for Fido either.
WhiteLight

User ID: 3365244
United States
11/21/2011 07:49 PM
Report Abusive Post
ANYTHING from China should be immediately put into a landfill, if you ask me.

I certainly wouldn't eat anything from there, why give it to your dogs?

I used to give my dogs all kinds of "treats" - rawhide - all kinds of stuff.

I'm to the point it's either a good brand of dog food or some food that we eat. They love real chicken. :)

Seriously - I don't trust ANYTHING else any more.

Had a dog die at 1.5 yrs old from bowel obstruction that took too long to diagnose. She used to love those "greenies". I can't prove anything, but I'd never give another one to any dog I'd ever have.
 Quoting: Judge Smails

There is a big rise in Auto Immune disease too. I think it is based on this same crap. Those Greenies are eaten whole by most dogs and they can get seriously impacted with all that cellulose gel.. And stuff from China is loaded with every petro chemical that we have banned as of 20 years ago. So right... only feed your pets what you yourself would eat. Or at least ingredients that you would find in your own food.
I am a Child of God
marlborolightsplease

User ID: 1276307
United States
11/21/2011 08:42 PM
Report Abusive Post

IMAGE ( [link to i41.tinypic.com] )

my dog thanks you
marlborolightsplease

User ID: 1276307
United States
11/21/2011 08:44 PM
Report Abusive Post

IMAGE ( [link to i41.tinypic.com] )

my dog thanks you
 Quoting: marlborolightsplease

IMAGE ( [link to i42.tinypic.com] )

correct pic
Nine's

User ID: 2838278
United States
11/21/2011 08:58 PM
Report Abusive Post
You got an extra 11 good karma for the thread Judge. You gonna give me one for pinning you? chuckle
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1444651
United States
11/21/2011 09:08 PM
Report Abusive Post
Only feed mine, raw chicken, omega x, and egg whites..

dog food has to much crap in it for my dog. unless its the black organic bag from the feed store.hidb
 Quoting: Trample

I was told recently that raw chicken is best for dogs and they are designed to eat raw chicken. I didn't know, if that was true or not. Also canned pumpkin is good for constipation to give to dogs.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 4481981
United States
11/21/2011 09:41 PM
Report Abusive Post
Something else OP, not meaning to rain on your parade.

I bought a bag of Target store brand bacon treats the other day. When I opened them the smell was not so good, so I looked in the ingredients. The dog treats contain ethelyne glycol. Fucking Anti-freeze. The assholes put poison in the dog treats.

I threw them away.
 Quoting: Sledster

Ethelyne glycol is NOT anti freeze. It is a product used in many MANY human food items, such as soda pop. Candy, as well as dog foods. Yes, it is used in small portions of petrolium products too. American made products contain EG as well...educate yourself before making statements that are ignorant.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1158186

ethelyne glycol IS ANTIFREEZE AND POISEN TO DOGS
[link to en.wikipedia.org]
Anonymous Coward
United States
11/21/2011 09:44 PM
Report Abusive Post
Something else OP, not meaning to rain on your parade.

I bought a bag of Target store brand bacon treats the other day. When I opened them the smell was not so good, so I looked in the ingredients. The dog treats contain ethelyne glycol. Fucking Anti-freeze. The assholes put poison in the dog treats.

I threw them away.
 Quoting: Sledster

Ethelyne glycol is NOT anti freeze. It is a product used in many MANY human food items, such as soda pop. Candy, as well as dog foods. Yes, it is used in small portions of petrolium products too. American made products contain EG as well...educate yourself before making statements that are ignorant.

ethelyne glycol IS ANTIFREEZE AND POISEN TO DOGS
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 4481981

ethelyne glycol IS ANTIFREEZE AND POISON TO DOGS

Anonymous Coward
United States
11/21/2011 09:48 PM
Report Abusive Post
Only feed mine, raw chicken, omega x, and egg whites..

dog food has to much crap in it for my dog. unless its the black organic bag from the feed store.hidb
 Quoting: Trample

Egg Yolk is where all the nutrition is - white part has very little nutritional value compared to the yolks
amywood71605

User ID: 1422833
United States
11/21/2011 09:54 PM
Report Abusive Post
Thank you!!!

I have a miniature pincher/redbone coonhound mix. His name is Copper. Love him to pieces!
"Live each day like it's your last, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like no one is watching."

GO PATS!!
:Go Patriots!:
amywood71605

User ID: 1422833
United States
11/21/2011 10:22 PM
Report Abusive Post
BUMP

Cause this is important for dog owners
"Live each day like it's your last, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like no one is watching."

GO PATS!!
:Go Patriots!:
Skeptically Anonymous
User ID: 5788312
United States
11/21/2011 10:31 PM
Report Abusive Post
My dogs eat the duck strips from China/Walmart every day. They never seem any worse for wear from it. They are Chows though. Maybe Chinese food is best for them...

One of the boys had a bowel problem after eating the chicken once though. Nasty, bloody bowel problems. I don't buy the chicken any more.
Pangn

United States
11/21/2011 10:37 PM
Report Abusive Post

because i love him ...
fair

Yeap

well then just because you say so !
I won't "replace" my dog !

Lol what?

The dog food needs to be replaced

not the dog
Pangn

United States
11/21/2011 10:39 PM
Report Abusive Post

Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1337441

Dog vitamins are very expensive... So are some of the organic food brands.... My vet pushed some pills on me during my last vet visit, something for their joints, and it was $55 for a month's supply! Some of the organic food brands are $60 or more a bag. I'm paying about $28 a month to have my dog on a wellness plan at my local vet... As a single income household (I bring in the only income), I cannot afford to be spending an extra $60 a month on dog vitamins and an extra $30 a month to buy the organic food brands...

Now don't get me wrong, I love my dog dearly and he is pampered and spoiled at home with non-stop attention... He gets his daily treats when I get home, milkbones in the morning, and the occasional chicken & rice dinner and chewy's on the weekend... But sometimes I think pet owner's can go overboard with their pets (as well as the expenses). Growing up in the 80's and 90's we didn't feed our dogs organic foods or give them vitamins and many of our pets lived their normal life expectancies... I'm sure many other pet owners can attest the same... But now, in 2011, with the health food craze (Whole Foods anyone?), people can quickly get a sense that they're doing their animals a disservice by feeding them non-organic food brands, etc etc.... I definitely got the sense that my Vet was pushing those joint vitamins on me during my visit because she conveniently decided not to mention that the pills were nearly $60 a month!

I can't help but feel to some degree, we as Consumers are being taken advantage off... Either through paying a premium for these goods or through clever marketing to make us believe our Pets are in danger if they don't consume the recommended products.
 Quoting: ANHEDONIC

PLease switch to 4Health at Tractor Supply

I promise, it is ust as good as any premium dog food for half the price.
Captain Spaulding
User ID: 5793229
United States
11/21/2011 10:43 PM
Report Abusive Post
Thanks for the heads up hf

:liltaco:
 Quoting: Turtle

Nice tats and cool dog. I'm a boxer (dog) guy. But I like 'em all.
Captain Spaulding
User ID: 5793229
United States
11/21/2011 11:03 PM
Report Abusive Post
Pangn is right! ANYTHING from Purina is crap. Dog's intestinal tracts are too short to break down and absorb the nutrition from corn or wheat. And those are also the two things that dogs a allergic to most. Funny how Science Diet has pictures of them right on the front of their package, like it's natural and wholesome or something.

I've been working with dogs for 13 years now. And in the process of opening another business for self serve dog washing (custom, like none other ANYWHERE) and a canine hydrotherapy center with retail for HONESTLY all natural, made in the US food, supplements and treats.

IMPORTANT!!!

What's imported from China has ethoyquin, a pesticide and jet fuel additive, and BHA and BHT which are also pesticides and chemicals used in the production of rubber products. These chemicals are used as preservatives in the "meat products" from over seas. Purina, Eukenuba and a lot of other companies import the meat products and make their kibble out of them. They don't have to list the toxic preservatives because the lame fda here says they only have to be listed if they're added here. Not if they're already in the products when they're imported.

If you spend more money on food, you'll save it at the vets. And have a happier, healthier friend around for longer at the same time. It's cliche', but garbage in, garbage out, as they say.
Gaia Leukocyte

User ID: 5560756
United States
11/21/2011 11:04 PM
Report Abusive Post
I can't believe these dog food companies poisoned millions of dogs and not one lawsuit against them?

Can you imagine if it had been people who had gotten sick and died? there would be national ads by lawyers for litigants.
I Know I Am

User ID: 5770034
United States
11/21/2011 11:05 PM
Report Abusive Post
A couple of years ago we lost two dogs same day after poisoning from dog food prepared in china. This week dog got sick right after eating can dog food . Ready now just to give him just what ever we eat.
I Know I Am
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1169966
United States
11/21/2011 11:14 PM
Report Abusive Post
i wouldn't buy anything edible from that place known as china---not even the dog/cat toys---nothing.
withoutatrace

User ID: 1476762
United States
11/21/2011 11:15 PM
Report Abusive Post

Oh, really?

[link to www.nlm.nih.gov]

According to the National Institutes of Health (.gov):
"Ethylene glycol ingestion is a medical emergency."
CowgirlK

User ID: 1541003
United States
11/21/2011 11:21 PM
Report Abusive Post
Something to be aware of.

[link to vitals.msnbc.msn.com]
 Quoting: Judge Smails

Thanks for the info.

I have 2 bags of dog treats in the house. Canyon Creek Ranch Natural Duck Tenders and Blue Wilderness Trail Treats Natural Chicken Jerky.

I phoned both companies today to inquire about their products.

Canon Creek Ranch gave me a bit of lip service saying the story I had read was from 2007. YES… their Duck Tenders are from CHINA..but don’t worry their products have all been tested and are perfectly safe.

Then I phoned Blue Wilderness. The woman on the phone was wondering why so many people had called the company today asking if their treats were made in China. I told her about the story on the internet.

Blue is a great company and all of the ingredients in Blue Dog food are made and grown in America! We had a good laugh about their treats coming from good old American Chickens. I suggested the company put an American flag on their products with “Proudly Made in America” printed on the bag.

hf
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 4093848
Canada
11/21/2011 11:24 PM
Report Abusive Post
FUCK CHINA
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 5372369
United States
11/21/2011 11:55 PM
Report Abusive Post
sometimes I wonder what happen to the millions of chickens killed.

[link to www.dailymail.co.uk]

Bird flu 'could be worse than Sars'Comments (0) Add to My Stories The bird flu that has raged through chicken farms in Asia and killed at least three people in Vietnam could become a bigger problem for the region than Sars.
The avian flu has killed millions of chickens in South Korea, Vietnam and Japan, where officials have ordered mass culls to try to contain the outbreak. Hong Kong and Cambodia have banned poultry imports from countries affected by bird flu.

Read more: [link to www.dailymail.co.uk]

GLP