Godlike Productions - Discussion Forum
Users Online Now: 1,308 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 304,746
Pageviews Today: 481,437Threads Today: 175Posts Today: 2,991
05:18 AM

Rate this Thread

Absolute BS Crap Reasonable Nice Amazing

make chewy crusty artisan BREAD with 5 minutes of your time! seriously! and cheap!

Anonymous Coward
12/10/2011 10:46 AM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: make chewy crusty artisan BREAD with 5 minutes of your time! seriously! and cheap!
Fucking badass video and thread.
citizenperth

User ID: 6817142
Australia
12/10/2011 10:49 AM
Report Abusive Post
Re: make chewy crusty artisan BREAD with 5 minutes of your time! seriously! and cheap!
I have been making this bread for years

from this NYT recipe

it's great bread

I also like to do batter breads--those are quick and easy

and instant

beer batter is great and takes the flavor of the beer you use
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 664728

Do you have a recipe?????

Thanks OP for sharing this amazing recipe!
 Quoting: goldenmean81

yes beer bread please OP.. more readily available here than those funny little black pellets .. *GRIN.....
It's life as we know it, but only just.
[link to citizenperth.wordpress.com]
sic ut vos es vos should exsisto , denego alius vicis facio vos change , exsisto youself , proprie
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 5787814
United States
12/10/2011 10:54 AM
Report Abusive Post
I've made that for years. Yes, you have to plan ahead, but it is totally worth it. Flour and yeast are cheap and this bread is as good as any bakery. Chewy with a crunchy crust.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 6524779

make it with whole spelt and it will be even better.
citizenperth

Australia
12/10/2011 10:57 AM
Report Abusive Post
I've made that for years. Yes, you have to plan ahead, but it is totally worth it. Flour and yeast are cheap and this bread is as good as any bakery. Chewy with a crunchy crust.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 6524779

make it with whole spelt and it will be even better.
 Quoting: Nobody in Particular

wonder if burbon/vodka/beer/lsd/mushy mix would be good?

grinning
sic ut vos es vos should exsisto , denego alius vicis facio vos change , exsisto youself , proprie
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 5361280
United States
12/10/2011 11:01 AM
Report Abusive Post
Here is Jacques Pepin show where he is making a one pot bread. I think he does his in the fridge overnight.

NOTE TO MODS: This is not a copyright violation youtube. It comes from the official youtube channel of the PBS station that produces the show.
truthwillsetyoufreeag​ain

User ID: 927177
United States
12/10/2011 11:28 AM

Report Abusive Post
Wow. Excellent. I love crusty bread.
thair

As long as I am an American citizen and American blood runs in these veins I shall hold myself at liberty to speak, to write, and to publish whatever I please on any subject.” - Elijah Parish Lovejoy(1802-1837)

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent...Thomas Jefferson

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government...Thomas Jefferson

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty...Thomas Jefferson

Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light...George Washington
Timetraveler

User ID: 1605109
United States
12/10/2011 11:30 AM
Report Abusive Post
Any tips for making this bread when the SHTF and all the power in the house goes out? :)
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1332988

Here ya go!

[link to www.fornobravo.com]
what time is it now?
DonHeau

User ID: 1359307
United States
12/10/2011 11:54 AM
Report Abusive Post
5a
We opened doors by thinking.
Eggcellent
Re-Instate Smith-Mundt!

User ID: 6633673
United States
12/10/2011 12:21 PM
Report Abusive Post
you know, I don't like chewy crusty bread - not this artisan that's hard as a rock on the outside. This artisan style bread is all over now. I even got some at the Food Bank. It's bread for people who don't know how to make bread or appreciate good bread. Nothing personal, just my opinion. Would love to see more recipes posted though! ;)
 Quoting: Keats

Agreed! I HATE bread that you practically have to break your teeth on just to get a bite. I believe the grocery stores just take their old stale bread, slap an "Artisan" label on it, and sell it for twice as much as decent bread.
"I have come to the conclusion that all news should be treated like 9/11, assume it is a psyop with actors participating in a staged event complete with props, until proven otherwise, in which case assume whatever is being recorded, reported, televised, is distortions/lying by omission/outright lies, until proven otherwise." - Anonymous, 4-13-12
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1112378
New Zealand
12/10/2011 01:00 PM
Report Abusive Post
seems only us silly europeans make 'loaves' of bread
when it is way simpler cheaper quicker less heat
or fuel req to make flat ready2go breads and
any bread recipe will do just roll the dough
into small balls then stretch and flatten
each piece by flipping from hand to hand
till the dough ball is saucer shape or larger.
Indian 'roti' is a good example but
you can create your own recipe.
citizenperth

Australia
12/10/2011 01:05 PM
Report Abusive Post
seems only us silly europeans make 'loaves' of bread
when it is way simpler cheaper quicker less heat
or fuel req to make flat ready2go breads and
any bread recipe will do just roll the dough
into small balls then stretch and flatten
each piece by flipping from hand to hand
till the dough ball is saucer shape or larger.
Indian 'roti' is a good example but
you can create your own recipe.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1112378

kiora.. but yer a kiwi.. you guys can cook and eat anything.. GRIN.... (i own part of the wiewkato.. hep... go the draft beer.. loved hammy....
Mt.Mama
User ID: 1532727
United States
12/10/2011 01:41 PM
Report Abusive Post
Thanks OP! I can't wait to try this. It would make a great Christmas present!xmas
FierySky

User ID: 1280771
United States
12/10/2011 01:51 PM
Report Abusive Post
It kind of appeared that these people had a little trouble chewing this bread. As people who have fewer teeth than I started out with, I can't afford to have a bread that is hard crusted and hard to chew.
citizenperth

Australia
12/10/2011 02:07 PM
Report Abusive Post
OP? i got mine ready to go.. nummy nummy nummy.... GRIN
let you know how it goes...

hmmmmmmmmmm. butter, cheese on one and a thick bit of strawberry.....

Last Edited by CitizenPerth™ on 12/10/2011 02:07 PM
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 4675217
United States
12/10/2011 02:41 PM
Report Abusive Post
5 stars!!!!!
Real list

User ID: 822724
United States
12/10/2011 03:28 PM
Report Abusive Post
I think the wait is so long because you are barely feeding the yeast with the flour. If you activate the yeast with warm water and a couple spoons of sugar before adding the flour the raising goes much quicker. But the so rise probably results in a richer flavor and better texture.

And there is something about working the dough makes the bread tougher????
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 3730217
United States
12/10/2011 03:32 PM
Report Abusive Post
ok great thread, hunger is on. So now it is homeade chicken soup, grilled cheese w/homemade bread and relax for the 230 hockey game. cheers.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1351486
United States
12/10/2011 03:33 PM
Report Abusive Post
ok great thread, hunger is on. So now it is homeade chicken soup, grilled cheese w/homemade bread and relax for the 230 hockey game. cheers.
 Quoting: mkhay

tomato soup is my choice for the grilled cheese...I like to dip it right in there...mmmmmm
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 6580030
United States
12/10/2011 04:02 PM
Report Abusive Post
Do you keep the oven temp at 450 or turn it down after putting the bread in ?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 3730217
United States
12/10/2011 04:11 PM
Report Abusive Post

tomato soup is my choice for the grilled cheese...I like to dip it right in there...mmmmmm
 Quoting: exiled1

Hockey break. chicken is more filling, though tomatoe is good also.2 an 0 we are not winning
Sandi_T

User ID: 1301649
United States
12/10/2011 04:20 PM
Report Abusive Post
Wait, you said if you add chocolate, it's like a biscotti... so is the regular bread that you make "like a biscotti", too?

I like soft bread, but this sounds nice to try. Unless it makes hard bread. :p

Did you use whole wheat flour or that all purpose stuff? Interested to know if whole wheat flour cooks up nice this way or not.

Thanks. hf
No more requests in the "Strangest things" thread please. :hf:

Past Lives requests thread: Thread: That Which Once Was: Past Lives
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1351486
United States
12/10/2011 04:28 PM
Report Abusive Post

Quoting: exiled1

Hockey break. chicken is more filling, though tomatoe is good also.2 an 0 we are not winning

I was going for the flavor combination, but I have dipped the grilled cheese into chicken soup broth at times and it also was very tasty...think Im going to have one right now!!

luckily I bought some bread, so theres no 24 hour waiting period...just sayin'peace
grasptheuniverse

User ID: 6670928
Australia
12/10/2011 07:29 PM
Report Abusive Post
Thank you so much for this post, its awesome and i cant wait to try this.
caz
Pink Cat with a Telephone Hat  (OP)

User ID: 6637242
United States
12/10/2011 07:42 PM
Report Abusive Post
Wait, you said if you add chocolate, it's like a biscotti... so is the regular bread that you make "like a biscotti", too?

Did you use whole wheat flour or that all purpose stuff? Interested to know if whole wheat flour cooks up nice this way or not.

Thanks. hf
 Quoting: Sandi_T

i meant biscotti not in the sense of dryness but in the sense of a more subtyle chocolate flavour that is not like a chocolate muffin that hits you over the head with chocolate flavour. of course you can add as much choclate as you like and probably make it super chocolate!

i've used 100% wheat flour but i have a hard time making that not turn out as hard as rock. i'm still working on it.
but if you like a real dense bread, like russian rye is, then you would really like to do a chocolate with wheat.
toasted would be yummy!

also to everyone who thinks you're going to break your teeth chewing inot this bread, that is not the case. and of you want it less cristy then just don't cook it as long with the cover off.

but i think it's a great skill (and fun and grounding to), to learn the skill of making bread. any kind of bread that suits you.
it's healthier, cheaper, more fun, and it's just a skill one should learn how to do because it's basic survival.

and it's more delicious! no additives or preservatives either.
🦋

United States
12/10/2011 07:43 PM
Report Abusive Post
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 6580030

you keep it at 450
🦋

United States
12/10/2011 07:45 PM
Report Abusive Post
I think the wait is so long because you are barely feeding the yeast with the flour. If you activate the yeast with warm water and a couple spoons of sugar before adding the flour the raising goes much quicker. But the so rise probably results in a richer flavor and better texture.

And there is something about working the dough makes the bread tougher????
 Quoting: Real list

yes, working the dough makes it tougher.
you could add more yeast an sugar.
really, it personal taste. anything goes really :)
i just want people to understand that baking really yummy bread is something they can easily do with hardly any extra time involved in making it.
and it's comforting to smell in the house :)
it's the bug out aromatherapy solution :)
🦋
Sandi_T

User ID: 1301649
United States
12/10/2011 08:16 PM
Report Abusive Post

Thanks. hf
 Quoting: Sandi_T

i meant biscotti not in the sense of dryness but in the sense of a more subtyle chocolate flavour that is not like a chocolate muffin that hits you over the head with chocolate flavour. of course you can add as much choclate as you like and probably make it super chocolate!

i've used 100% wheat flour but i have a hard time making that not turn out as hard as rock. i'm still working on it.
but if you like a real dense bread, like russian rye is, then you would really like to do a chocolate with wheat.
toasted would be yummy!

also to everyone who thinks you're going to break your teeth chewing inot this bread, that is not the case. and of you want it less cristy then just don't cook it as long with the cover off.

but i think it's a great skill (and fun and grounding to), to learn the skill of making bread. any kind of bread that suits you.
it's healthier, cheaper, more fun, and it's just a skill one should learn how to do because it's basic survival.

and it's more delicious! no additives or preservatives either.
 Quoting: Pink Cat with a Telephone Hat

Thanks. :)

I might give it a try, but I do tend towards stone ground local whole wheat, so it'll probably come out hard, lol. Will let you know if I try it. Thanks!
No more requests in the "Strangest things" thread please. :hf:

Past Lives requests thread: Thread: That Which Once Was: Past Lives
citizenperth

Australia
12/11/2011 04:50 AM
Report Abusive Post

turn it down to normal baking temp
:)
Butt Pincher

User ID: 1547410
United States
12/11/2011 05:02 AM
Report Abusive Post
5a
 Quoting: DonHeau

My bread dough is rising as I write this.. I made a little adjustment to the recipe.. I shredded a little cheddar cheese in the mix.. and will toss a few sunflower seeds in tomorrow when I turn it over and toss in in the dutch oven.. ! Thanks OP....

United States
12/11/2011 09:32 AM
Report Abusive Post

turn it down to normal baking temp
:)
 Quoting: citizenperth

no, you keep it at 450 the whole time it bakes
don't turn it down to a "normal" temp
🦋

GLP