Godlike Productions - Discussion Forum
Users Online Now: 1,632 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 341,724
Pageviews Today: 582,618Threads Today: 282Posts Today: 3,927
06:55 AM

Rate this Thread

Absolute BS Crap Reasonable Nice Amazing

make chewy crusty artisan BREAD with 5 minutes of your time! seriously! and cheap!

Munsoned

User ID: 2492215
United States
12/18/2011 06:00 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: make chewy crusty artisan BREAD with 5 minutes of your time! seriously! and cheap!
Wow that looks great, My dough has been sitting for 22 hours and I'm about to fire the oven up.
Freedom requires breathing room, the Constitution presupposes that there will be some crazies among us so that the rest of us can enjoy freedom. - Judge Andrew Napolitano

A huge shit cloud is coming!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 6367464
United States
12/18/2011 06:04 PM
Report Abusive Post
Re: make chewy crusty artisan BREAD with 5 minutes of your time! seriously! and cheap!
Aren't you supposed to add a little sugar so the yeast will have something to use to make CO2 to make the dough rise? That bread would SUCK.
Anonymous Coward
United States
12/18/2011 06:05 PM
Report Abusive Post
Actually, just use some baking soda and add a little lime or lemon juice right before you knead it and put it in the oven.
telling it straight

User ID: 1461054
United States
12/18/2011 06:31 PM

Report Abusive Post
bump
Munsoned

United States
12/18/2011 07:11 PM
Report Abusive Post
Wow that looks great, My dough has been sitting for 22 hours and I'm about to fire the oven up.
 Quoting: Munsoned

Smells great, hope it tastes great too. 25 minutes to go!

Thanks OP
Freedom requires breathing room, the Constitution presupposes that there will be some crazies among us so that the rest of us can enjoy freedom. - Judge Andrew Napolitano

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 4393568
United States
12/18/2011 08:22 PM
Report Abusive Post
Magnificent. It's an old technique really using a dutch oven like the Pioneers would have done, but letting the yeast ripen the gluten in the flour. I'm sure a higher gluten bread flour would naturally work better or faster. You might be able to get away with less then 12 hours that way.

It would be cool to try this using a natural yeast recipe. I'm looking for recipes other than sourdough. That way all you need is flour, salt, and water plus whatever starter.

In a survival situation, wheat is hard to come by. You can stretch it, but with a far less expanding bread by adding cattail pollen, acorn flour, or whatever you've got handy like a hybrid with masa or corn flour.
Anonymous Coward
United States
12/18/2011 08:24 PM
Report Abusive Post
Actually, just use some baking soda and add a little lime or lemon juice right before you knead it and put it in the oven.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 6367464

No need for yeast or 12 hours that way. Smarter and faster.
Anonymous Coward
United States
12/18/2011 08:25 PM
Report Abusive Post
Yeast needs sugar to start fermenting and produce carbon dioxide to raise the bread, BTW.
Pink Cat with a Telephone Hat  (OP)

User ID: 6637242
United States
12/18/2011 09:47 PM
Report Abusive Post
Yeast needs sugar to start fermenting and produce carbon dioxide to raise the bread, BTW.

yes. wheat has sugars in it
🦋

United States
12/18/2011 09:49 PM
Report Abusive Post

No need for yeast or 12 hours that way. Smarter and faster.

but not as tasty imo
personal preference tho :)

thank good ness there are so many types of bread!

i want to learn how to make more flatbreads and pita bread type breads.
🦋

United States
12/18/2011 09:51 PM
Report Abusive Post
Magnificent. It's an old technique really using a dutch oven like the Pioneers would have done, but letting the yeast ripen the gluten in the flour. I'm sure a higher gluten bread flour would naturally work better or faster. You might be able to get away with less then 12 hours that way.

It would be cool to try this using a natural yeast recipe. I'm looking for recipes other than sourdough. That way all you need is flour, salt, and water plus whatever starter.

In a survival situation, wheat is hard to come by. You can stretch it, but with a far less expanding bread by adding cattail pollen, acorn flour, or whatever you've got handy like a hybrid with masa or corn flour.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 4393568

the only reason i said around 20 hours is because i hate the step where you take the bread out and then let it raise for another 2 hours. it took up more counterspace and mess to clean up. i found that if i just let it sit longer i could skip that step :)
i was trying to make bread with the least amount of effort and mess to clean.
not trying to make the fastest bread.
🦋

United States
12/18/2011 09:51 PM
Report Abusive Post
Aren't you supposed to add a little sugar so the yeast will have something to use to make CO2 to make the dough rise? That bread would SUCK.

wheat has sugars in it
🦋
Anonymous Coward
United States
12/18/2011 11:20 PM
Report Abusive Post

Quoting: Anonymous Coward 4393568

the only reason i said around 20 hours is because i hate the step where you take the bread out and then let it raise for another 2 hours. it took up more counterspace and mess to clean up. i found that if i just let it sit longer i could skip that step :)
i was trying to make bread with the least amount of effort and mess to clean.
not trying to make the fastest bread.
 Quoting: Pink Cat with a Telephone Hat

Of I was basing the time on the video, not what you said. When placing a yeast bread in the refrigerator, the dough ripens by slowing down the process. That's a personal preference.

If you were doing this outside, you could make a Zeer pot, a ceramic pot within a pot that is in wet sand and cover it. That's a way to make a quasi-refirgerator in the field. Then you let your dough riped in that until time for the final two hour rise.

Yeah, nothing replaces yeast bread in my opinion. Sure you can use a leaven like soda or ash or baking powder to make beaten biscuits.

Personally for speed, I like pita bread. It works well and is very fast. It stores pretty well too when camping, so you can make some up for several days.

I need a better recipe for gathering natural yeasts as I don't like sourdugh that much. Friendship bread is more like cake with all of that sugar, a very hard to produce item in the wild, save for using a natural sweetener like dried persimmon or apples, or if lucky honey or maple syrup.
Munsoned

United States
12/18/2011 11:39 PM
Report Abusive Post
Wow that was good! My yeast was a bit old so it didn't rise that great, but before I put it in the the dutch I mixed in some honey and it was great. A slight bit doughy but probably cause it didn't rise as much. Four people loved it though thanks Cat!

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 7306624
United States
12/19/2011 12:01 AM
Report Abusive Post
Wow that was good! My yeast was a bit old so it didn't rise that great, but before I put it in the the dutch I mixed in some honey and it was great. A slight bit doughy but probably cause it didn't rise as much. Four people loved it though thanks Cat!

That's because you didn't add any sugar for the yeast to ferment. Wheat is starch, and the yeast cannot break that down. Unless you add sugar, it won't rise. That bread dude is either retarded or wants you to not be able to make bread so you buy it instead.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 7306624
United States
12/19/2011 12:03 AM
Report Abusive Post
Just add a couple of teaspoons of baking soda and some then knead in a few teaspoons of lime or lemon juice and your bread will be ready in an hour...no waiting.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 7257080
United States
12/19/2011 12:30 AM
Report Abusive Post
Why we should avoid bleached flour

[link to www.youtube.com]

Munsoned

United States
12/19/2011 01:06 AM
Report Abusive Post

That's because you didn't add any sugar for the yeast to ferment. Wheat is starch, and the yeast cannot break that down. Unless you add sugar, it won't rise. That bread dude is either retarded or wants you to not be able to make bread so you buy it instead.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 7306624

Yeah I will next time, like I said the yeast was a few months old. It was still real good bread though. How much sugar for the OP's recipe?
Thanks!

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 7340804
United States
12/19/2011 01:12 AM
Report Abusive Post
That was not easy, its a seriously labourous long and dirty process to make that one loaf of bread.

No Kneading ? So what, just use a dough hook on your power mixing.

It does all the kneading.
Anonymous Coward
United States
12/19/2011 01:28 AM
Report Abusive Post
I think that the baker knows precisely how to bake bread. Many breads are considered a particular style of bread based on ingredients and methods used to produce them. For example, true French bread only contains yeast, flour, salt, and water by law, else it cannot be called French bread in France. Similarly certain breads like challah or brioche are made with certain ingredients. He just chose not to add sugar.

It's true that it is the interaction with sugar that makes yeast work in bread. Higher gluten flour also turns out a better product since that flour is specifically made for bread making. Of course that will result in a slightly different recipe too.

There's lot of alternative raising techniques like dough sponges. Those techniques will change the recipe and texture f the bread. Nothing is wrong with those different recipes, they're just producing something different based on personal choice.
Laura Bow

User ID: 1158661
United States
12/19/2011 03:44 PM
Report Abusive Post

BS. Sugar is a carbohydrate, flour is a carbohydrate. Sorry, but this recipe works. You can enhance it with sugar to help the flavor or rise, but it's not required.

United States
12/19/2011 08:33 PM
Report Abusive Post

Yeah I will next time, like I said the yeast was a few months old. It was still real good bread though. How much sugar for the OP's recipe?
Thanks!

you do NOT need sugar to make bread.
🦋

United States
12/19/2011 08:37 PM
Report Abusive Post
That was not easy, its a seriously labourous long and dirty process to make that one loaf of bread.

No Kneading ? So what, just use a dough hook on your power mixing.

It does all the kneading.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 7340804

do it your way then.
i like this way. i do not like power mixers.
this is nice and quiet and i like the simpleness of it and i actually enjoying waiting. but if you time it, then you don't wait at all. you make a loaf and starrt another batch in a day or two and voila it's ready for you.
🦋
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 7280888
United States
12/19/2011 10:48 PM
Report Abusive Post
this is a simple bread
no hassle no fuss
24 hrs max (no work)
Let the yeast work for you!

United States
12/19/2011 10:51 PM
Report Abusive Post
this is a simple bread
no hassle no fuss
24 hrs max (no work)
Let the yeast work for you!
 Quoting: AnotherOne

yes :)
🦋
flavapor

User ID: 964647
United States
12/20/2011 08:50 AM

Report Abusive Post
I think I want to make this for Christmas dinner instead of rolls.

How much bread does this make/feed? If I am having about 12 people, would it be enough or should I make two or even three?

United States
12/20/2011 02:50 PM
Report Abusive Post

How much bread does this make/feed? If I am having about 12 people, would it be enough or should I make two or even three?
 Quoting: flavapor

1 loaf woulf feed 5 or 6 people if they all wanted a 1 slice
🦋
Laura Bow

User ID: 1158661
United States
12/20/2011 02:58 PM
Report Abusive Post

HAHAA I don't think I know a person that would only want ONE slice of homemade bread :)
flavapor

User ID: 964647
United States
12/20/2011 03:42 PM

Report Abusive Post

Thanks pink cat

HAHAA I don't think I know a person that would only want ONE slice of homemade bread :)
 Quoting: Laura Bow

Thanks pink cat
You are right, better make 3

Last Edited by flavapor on 12/20/2011 03:43 PM
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 7439203
United States
12/20/2011 05:02 PM
Report Abusive Post

Thanks!

To make sure your yeast is good, add it to a cup of warm water from the tap...add a teaspoon or 2 of sugar to the water and put the yeast on top of the water. If the yeast is good, it will form a foam in 10 or 20 minutes. Usually for a loaf of bread a tablespoon or two.

Again, you can just add a tablespoon of baking soda, then knead in a tablespoon or 2 of lime juice and put it in the oven right away to bake. Bread will fluff up nicely.

GLP