Godlike Productions - Discussion Forum
Users Online Now: 1,594 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 17,720
Pageviews Today: 31,702Threads Today: 17Posts Today: 232
12:24 AM

Rate this Thread

Absolute BS Crap Reasonable Nice Amazing

make chewy crusty artisan BREAD with 5 minutes of your time! seriously! and cheap!

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 7439203
United States
12/20/2011 05:05 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: make chewy crusty artisan BREAD with 5 minutes of your time! seriously! and cheap!
Wow that was good! My yeast was a bit old so it didn't rise that great, but before I put it in the the dutch I mixed in some honey and it was great. A slight bit doughy but probably cause it didn't rise as much. Four people loved it though thanks Cat!
 Quoting: Munsoned

That's because you didn't add any sugar for the yeast to ferment. Wheat is starch, and the yeast cannot break that down. Unless you add sugar, it won't rise. That bread dude is either retarded or wants you to not be able to make bread so you buy it instead.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 7306624

Yeah I will next time, like I said the yeast was a few months old. It was still real good bread though. How much sugar for the OP's recipe?
Thanks!
 Quoting: Munsoned

you do NOT need sugar to make bread.
 Quoting: Pink Cat with a Telephone Hat

Pink hat, you are just stupid. The dough won't rise if you don't add sugar for the yeast, moron. Why don't you quit being such a jackass?
Anonymous Coward
United States
12/20/2011 05:06 PM
Report Abusive Post
Re: make chewy crusty artisan BREAD with 5 minutes of your time! seriously! and cheap!
There is no free sugar in flour. It's all starch! The yeast can't break down the starch!
Anonymous Coward
United States
12/20/2011 05:10 PM
Report Abusive Post
For anybody making bread...just add a tbs or 2 of sugar to your dough, for crying out loud.
anonimalle

User ID: 5360878
United States
12/20/2011 05:26 PM
Report Abusive Post

1st off, this started on NY times a few years back.
a completely new way to make bread with NO KNEADING.
if you love those round crusty french bread types of artisian breads, hot out of the oven and you have no time.
THIS is a recipe for you!

here is the recipe from the nyt:
[link to www.nytimes.com]

above is a video on how to make it.

i have experimented with very many versions of this bread and it's practically impossible to screw it up and i have even simplified it from the nyt one.

all you will need is a dutch oven (like a big 4 quart metal pot you make stew in)

get a bowl. throw in 3 cups of flour
1 3/4ths cup of warm water
1/4 tsp yeast
1 1/4ths tsp salt

mix that all up with your hands. do it fast you don't need to be perfect about it.
cover the bowl with saran wrap!
that's it then.

let it sit somewhere warmish for around 24 hours. it really doesn't matter too much if it's 18 hours or 23 hours. just somewhere in there. i like to do 24 because it's easy to remember.

the next day, preheat your oven to 450 F. with the pot IN the oven heating with it. this is an important step because when you pour your dough into the pot then it kind of seals it immediately and stops it from sticking.

you will need then something else to stop the bread from sticking to the pan. so throw in at the bottom of the pan in a good covered layer some corn meal, or oatmeal, or muesli, or any course type grain you want on your bread. sesame seeds, poppy seeds whatever.

take the HOT pot out of the oven and with a spatula just get the dough from the bowl (that's been sitting around for a day bubbling with yeasty tasty goodness) in there fast. don't make a big ordeal about it. don't worry if it's shaped funny, it will all even out when it cooks.

bake it with the lid on for 45 minutes
then take lid off and bake another 10 or 15.

that's it. it's should pop straight out of your pot onto the counter to cool!

+++

i have made variations of this recipe where i added cocoa powder and sugar (it's not like a chocolate muffin but more like a biscotti)

i have made a variation where i added raisins, cinnamon and molasses

i have made one where i have throwin in almonds and sesame seeds and dried ruit like figs or dates.
or sometimes just mixed nuts.

i have substituted flour with cream of wheat!
i have done it with a sourdough starter.

you can do 1/2 wheat and half corn flour
or 1/2 wheat and some rye.
anything goes!

just mix it up, let it sit, and bake.
voila.

it's the best thing ever for when you're bugging out to bake some fresh bread. very grounding, comforting, simple, CHEAP, and delicious.

i imagine you could also make this on a campfire or brick oven if if TSHTF.

this recipe makes me so happy, and i hope it will make you happy too!

if you find a new variation on how to make it let me know!

now go do it. right now! :)

Have any of you made your own yeast from the air?
Behind every myth lies a mystery, and every legend holds an echo of the truth ……
Que Sera Sera

"For not by numbers of men nor by measure of body but by valor of soul is war decided"

Bilisarius

" At the siege of Vienna in 1683 Islam seemed poised to overrun Christian Europe. We are in a new phase of a very old war."

Gates of Vienna.

"May we smite our enemies to the darkest chamber of hell, for we wish only to live in peace, and they desire only to put their boot upon our neck."
Pink Cat with a Telephone Hat  (OP)

User ID: 6637242
United States
12/20/2011 05:31 PM
Report Abusive Post
There is no free sugar in flour. It's all starch! The yeast can't break down the starch!
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 7439203

really? tell that to all the bakers who have been baking bread then.
🦋

United States
12/20/2011 05:32 PM
Report Abusive Post
For anybody making bread...just add a tbs or 2 of sugar to your dough, for crying out loud.

why are you so obsessed with adding sugar?
i mean, i add it if you want to but some of you are seemingly a bit obsessive with this MUST ADD SUGAR thing.
🦋
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 941683
Germany
12/20/2011 05:35 PM
Report Abusive Post
we have a dutch oven and this is exactly what we have been looking for.. after not being able to find a bread that suits us, we have been looking to make our own bread...

also found this for anyone else interested in making loaf-shaped bread: [link to breadtopia.com]

it's clay but it has the lid and will seem to do the recipe fine.

very exciting. thanks, OP.
Anonymous Coward
United States
12/20/2011 05:40 PM
Report Abusive Post
This recipe uses what I call a "sponge." The sponge will activate the yeast and get things started; getting the yeast warm, happy, and ready to go

Start by mixing the hot water and the flour. Then, add 2 Tbsp. sugar, 2 Tbsp. oil, 2 Tbsp. yeast, and 2 tsp. salt.

Let this sit for about 8 or 10 minutes. Assuming your water was hot enough, it should be nice and bubbly.

[link to www.instructables.com]

United States
12/20/2011 05:53 PM
Report Abusive Post

why are you so obsessed with adding sugar?
i mean, i add it if you want to but some of you are seemingly a bit obsessive with this MUST ADD SUGAR thing.

can suagr help yeast grow. YES!
but do you NEED it, no?
ESPECIALLY with this recipe because it has a long fermentation time.

about sugar in bread:

[link to www.whats4eats.com]

only 4 ingredients are needed to make bread
flour, water, yeast and salt
this is how the french do it.

will it kill anything to add sugar? no , it won't be with THIS recipe i have shown you the FERMENTATION PROCESS makes so that there is absolutely NO need for sugar.

but just know you don't NEED it.

sorry for sounding a bit grumpy. but this one issue is driving me a bit bezerk.

but DO IT YOUR WAY
whatever makes you happy.
🦋

United States
12/20/2011 05:58 PM
Report Abusive Post
here is the wikpedia for bread:
[link to en.wikipedia.org]

it tells of many kinds.

THIS is the kind i am talking about here:

"Many breads are made from a "straight dough", which means that all of the ingredients are combined in one step, and the dough is baked after the rising time. Alternatively, dough can be made using a "pre-ferment", when the leavening is combined with some of the flour and water a day or so ahead of baking and allowed to ferment overnight. On the day of the baking, the rest of the ingredients are added, and the rest of the process is the same as that for straight dough. This produces a more flavorful bread with better texture. Many bakers see the starter method as a compromise between the highly reliable results of baker's yeast and the flavor and complexity of a longer fermentation. It also allows the baker to use only a minimal amount of baker's yeast, which was scarce and expensive when it first became available. Most yeasted pre-ferments fall into one of three categories: "poolish" or "pouliche", a loose-textured mixture composed of roughly equal amounts of flour and water (by weight); "biga", a stiff mixture with a higher proportion of flour; and "pâte fermentée", which is simply a portion of dough reserved from a previous batch. Sourdough (also known as "levain" or "natural leaven") takes it a step further, creating a pre-ferment with flour and water that propagates naturally occurring yeast and bacteria (usually Saccharomyces exiguus, which is more acid-tolerant than S. cerevisiae, and various species of Lactobacillus)."
🦋
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 4393568
United States
12/20/2011 06:30 PM
Report Abusive Post
Have any of you made your own yeast from the air?
 Quoting: anonimalle

The only yeast recipes that I know of from air bourne yeast is sour dough and Amish Friendship Bread. The later used baking powder and baking soda as leaven substitutes, so that's cheating really.

An unusual bread that uses very little baking soda, but it troublesome to make well, and requires a knack, is salt-rising bread.
[link to home.comcast.net]
I believe that what's happening is a collection of natural yeasts that add to the miniscule amount of baking soda. In a survival situation, or a time when ingredient availability was limited, you might be able to substitute the baking soda with wood ash.

I've been looking for alternative yeast recipes off and on for years. I think the idea is very cool to look for locally gathered materials for breads. While corn, acorn, cattail pollen, etc can be added to wheat, all yeasts need wheat components like gluten and natural "sugars" to activate it. That makes making bread in the absence of wheat very hard to produce a tasty loaf.

Many flatbreads can be produced using natural ingredients, but they just aren't as tasty by themselves, nor will these rise and make yummy texture like wheat bread that raises with yeast.
Munsoned

User ID: 8135408
United States
01/13/2012 07:01 PM
Report Abusive Post
Gonna make a new batch for tomorrow night dinner. Can't wait! Also my sister in-law bought me a baking stone for Christmas anybody got a quick recipe like this for a baking stone?

Thanks!
Freedom requires breathing room, the Constitution presupposes that there will be some crazies among us so that the rest of us can enjoy freedom. - Judge Andrew Napolitano

A huge shit cloud is coming!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1527228
United States
02/04/2012 12:58 AM
Report Abusive Post
bump
pink cat  (OP)

User ID: 9802248
United States
02/12/2012 10:28 AM
Report Abusive Post
bump
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1527228

hf
🦋
Bluebird

User ID: 730536
United States
02/12/2012 10:38 AM
Report Abusive Post
Thanks for the reminder!
One of the most important aspects of conspiracy theories is being able to discern when there isn't one.

Oh yeah, like you'd understand anyway.

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?. . .J. Handy
pink cat  (OP)

User ID: 9802248
United States
02/13/2012 10:02 PM
Report Abusive Post
Thanks for the reminder!
 Quoting: Bluebird

good deal! :)
🦋
Half Past Midnight

User ID: 781996
United States
02/13/2012 10:23 PM
Report Abusive Post
mmmmmmmmm home made bread
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 11476532
United States
03/05/2012 11:02 AM
Report Abusive Post
This is a really good easy recipe
and the results are tooooooooooo yummy
pink cat  (OP)

User ID: 10754816
United States
03/13/2012 06:57 PM
Report Abusive Post
lynnescountrykitchen.net/beer/danishbeer.html
🦋
pink cat  (OP)

United States
03/13/2012 06:59 PM
Report Abusive Post
lynnescountrykitchen.net/beer/danishbeer.html
 Quoting: pink cat

don't know why i could not post that link tried 3 times!

i made this dnaish recipe the other day with old crusts from my bread.
i added molasses, brown sugar, and beer and let it ferment for 3 days.
then cooked it for 20 mn and ate it with honey and milk
it tasted like hot gingerbread porridge :)
🦋
PL
User ID: 13015109
United States
03/22/2012 08:43 PM
Report Abusive Post
I FINALLY just made this recipe.... yes many months after reading, but the seed was planted and finally came to fruition.

All I have to say is OUTSTANDING! Fabulous results. THANK YOU SO MUCH!

And, for what it's worth, I did NOT add sugar. tounge
Ron
User ID: 1556978
Netherlands
03/30/2012 06:17 PM
Report Abusive Post
Doing this for some time now.
Results vary from solid bread to fluffy well risen bread.
Never got the right recepy though...I'll keep trying.
Perhaps it's my 4 year old dried yeast...
Crust is always nice.
I choose to add a tblspn sugar...seems like the crust is more crispy with sugar. Does not interfere with the yeast function.
24:00 now over here.
Just started another batch for tomorrow's lunch.
12 hours waiting is sufficient.
Dutch oven tip works great !
Go make some...
Do it now !
pink cat  (OP)

United States
04/21/2012 10:10 PM
Report Abusive Post
I FINALLY just made this recipe.... yes many months after reading, but the seed was planted and finally came to fruition.

All I have to say is OUTSTANDING! Fabulous results. THANK YOU SO MUCH!

And, for what it's worth, I did NOT add sugar. tounge
 Quoting: PL 13015109

excellllllllent!
🦋
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 14507441
United States
04/24/2012 02:40 PM
Report Abusive Post
Love the thread title (+ bread recipe)!! I'm going to try your Artisan bread, I love making bread for my family. Pink Cat, you rock!
Bungalow Bill

User ID: 5303593
Canada
04/24/2012 03:05 PM
Report Abusive Post
Well, that's a lot of bloody time and effort for something you can get at the store for a couple of bucks.

You still have to buy all the ingredients, put it together, wait on it for 24 hours, run the oven for an hour, etc.

Not cheaper and very much less convenient.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 14346136
United States
04/24/2012 03:18 PM
Report Abusive Post
Well, that's a lot of bloody time and effort for something you can get at the store for a couple of bucks.

You still have to buy all the ingredients, put it together, wait on it for 24 hours, run the oven for an hour, etc.

Not cheaper and very much less convenient.
 Quoting: Bungalow Bill

try and find bread with no preservatives or hfcs
don't assume bakery bread is simple ingredients
it isn't

preservatives really fuck with the body
keep it clean
Laura Bow

User ID: 1158661
United States
04/24/2012 03:22 PM
Report Abusive Post
bread

I posted this months ago in the thread, but showing off my variation of this bread for those who may not have seen it.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 14346136
United States
04/24/2012 03:24 PM
Report Abusive Post
You don't have to wait that long.

I knead the dough twice and it's about three hours from idea to baking wiht no machine

warm 2 1/2 cups water to about 120 degrees
activate yeast with a portion of the water set aside the rest
mix one tsp salt into 3.5 cups flour
(i blend two varieties_
feed yeast a little bit of sugar, when it doubles in the cup
mix the REST of the water into the flour loose like and pour the yeast water mixture in
add flour if its too wet to knead

knead the dough a while but not too long
keep in warm place check on it in an hour or so
when it doubles in size (may be three hours)
knead it again
preheat oven with dutch oven in there
place happy dough in pot cover bake
35-50 minutes depending on oven
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 14459915
United States
04/24/2012 05:01 PM
Report Abusive Post
Good lord this sounds good! I would think it would taste better with whole wheat flour and a little bit of honey in it.
pink cat  (OP)

United States
04/24/2012 06:46 PM
Report Abusive Post
bread

I posted this months ago in the thread, but showing off my variation of this bread for those who may not have seen it.
 Quoting: Laura Bow

ooooo, it's perfect!
🦋

GLP