Absolute BS Crap Reasonable Nice Amazing

Why do christians join the military?

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 28216119
United States
11/28/2012 05:31 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: Why do christians join the military?
Nothing in scripture precludes participation in the military
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward

Really? I thought Christians were instructed to be imitators of Christ. Assuming this to be true, then how about these verses?

Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you. (Matthew 5:44)

Do not resist one who is evil. But if any one strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. (Matthew 5:39)

All they that take the sword shall perish with the sword. (Matthew 26:52)

When you see Jerusalem being surrounded by armies...Then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains, let those in the city get out, and let those in the country not enter the city. (Luke 21:20-21)

Give to Caesar what is Caesar's, and to God what is God's. (Matthew 22:21) [To whom does the life of man belong? God, or Caesar?]

Do not repay anyone evil for evil. (Romans 12:17)

And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Christ. (Romans 8:9) [Didn't Jesus willing lay down his life rather than defend it? Could he not call down thousands of angels to prevent his death, but he refused the temptation?]

Imitate me, just as I also imitate Christ. (1 Corinthians 11:1) [Did the apostle Paul defend his life using a sword? Did any of Jesus' disciples?]

Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God; for it is written, "Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord." (Romans 12:19)

Must I go on and on?

the Ten Commandments. In truth, the commandment is to not "murder", very different from killing to protect ones own life
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward

The choice to render the Hebrew "rtsh" as "murder" is only found in the modern translations. For hundreds of years, the English translations rendered the sixth commandment, "Thou shalt not kill." Keep in mind, the word "murder" is actually a legal term, and what constitutes murder varies from locality to locality.

I'd suggest that Anonymous Coward read chapter 31 of the book "Blood Guilt: Christian Responses to America's War on Terror" (see Amazon.com or New Covenant Press ( [link to covenant.nu] ). Chapter 31 is aptly titled "Thou Shalt Not What?" It has a very lengthy exposition of this question regarding the sixth commandment.

I hope this helps.
 Quoting: maybeso

Has anyone ever read the Old Testament it was full of wars.
Then again. so is the Book of Revelation.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 17170423
United States
11/28/2012 05:35 PM
Report Abusive Post
Because they have cool weapons with scriptures on them.

[link to www.cbn.com]
 Quoting: Psych

Founders of the company are "devout christians".

Devout christians ........ producing sights ..... that go on guns ..... that kill people.

Ya, rrrrrreal fuckin' christian like.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 28485923
Canada
11/28/2012 06:15 PM
Report Abusive Post
Christions are the most violent folks there is.

all in the name of god

religion is a poison
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 12790821
United States
11/28/2012 06:30 PM
Report Abusive Post
Because they're trying to take over the US and turn it into a christian theocracy. They've pretty much taken over the entire air force. Simple logic. Take over the military, use the military to take over the government. 1 step closer to Revelations and the rapture as far as their crazy-asses are concerned.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 28663312
Australia
11/28/2012 06:36 PM
Report Abusive Post
I thought that murder was wrong in the eyes of christians?
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 6289134

Because they're not true Christians, only posers.

The US Marines I've met were fucking cunts.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 28636688
Denmark
11/28/2012 06:42 PM
Report Abusive Post
LOL, thanks for the responses. I am hoping that some devout Christian will try and give me some reason for this strange phenomenon. I really can not understand it.

I am anti religious (and pro spirituality) and I would never kill, or assist in killing, unless I was protecting myself or my loved ones.

Why are you anti-religion? Why can't you embrace things? Even things you do not agree with. I don't agree with a lot of things in this life, but I listen to it, I study what needs to be studied, and I embrace it. I don't like this new trend "I'm not religious, but I'm spiritual". I keep hearing this more and more. If you're spiritual and believe in a soul, where did you get your soul from?

And the question "why do christians join the military". I don't know. Maybe because they're lost and stupid. Under no circumstances should murder be the option, any Christian should know that.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 26238410
Canada
11/28/2012 06:59 PM
Report Abusive Post
This thread sucks dick.
Sneakypete

User ID: 23491481
Canada
11/28/2012 07:08 PM
Report Abusive Post
So they can make people more Hol-y!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 28633035
United States
11/28/2012 07:11 PM
Report Abusive Post
pays good as opposed too slinging warmed up dogfood at inbred mutants at the drive in window.

asides it gives them a lot of useful training to deal with shitbags who think sharing is great as long as its sharing someone else's hard earned goods.
Madame X

User ID: 24537691
Canada
11/28/2012 07:12 PM
Report Abusive Post
Even as a kid stuck in church I realized that the Christian goodness was a facade.

From the minister that reeked of last nights alcohol to the hypocrites that judged each other 6 days a week and pretended to like each other for a couple of hours on Sundays, to the do as I say not as I do laughable sermons coming from the pulpit. Oh and the money thing as well. Gotta pay to play.

I never understood the promotion of war through the singing of hymns.
If I could see this at age 8, what the heck was wrong with all the adults. Oh yeah, they were brainwashed.

I blame this hymn for the acceptance of war.

tomato
"The wise man's home is the universe." ~ Democrites

Catch the blue train...somewhere down that crazy river.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 610727
Australia
11/28/2012 07:18 PM
Report Abusive Post
genuine christians don't.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 8326681

There is no such thing as a "genuine christian" anymore. Everyone has interpreted the bible and picked and chosen the bits they agree with according to their own moral compass anyway (thereby making the bible redundant), to the point where they have effectively created a new religion.

People will say "Yeah I'm a Christian, but I personally believe..." and then add all these qualifiers after it. No, you're not a Christian. Even priests preach with their own slant on things.
Chrit

User ID: 27088294
United States
11/28/2012 07:37 PM
Report Abusive Post
Why humans fight for what they believe.

Alvin York WWI

During the assault, six German soldiers in a trench near York charged him with fixed bayonets. York had fired all the rounds in his M1917 Enfield rifle, but drew his .45 Colt automatic pistol and shot all six soldiers before they could reach him.

German First Lieutenant Paul Jürgen Vollmer, commander of the First Battalion, 120th Landwehr Infantry, emptied his pistol trying to kill York while he was contending with the machine guns. Failing to injure York, and seeing his mounting losses, he offered in English to surrender the unit to York, who accepted. By the end of the engagement, York and his seven men marched 132 German prisoners back to the American lines. His actions silenced the German machine guns and were responsible for enabling the 328th Infantry to renew its attack to capture the Decauville Railroad.

York was promptly promoted to Sergeant and awarded the Distinguished Service Cross for his heroism. A few months later, following a thorough investigation, he was awarded the Medal of Honor, presented to York by the commanding general of the American Expeditionary Force, General John J. Pershing. The French Republic awarded him the Croix de Guerre and the Legion of Honor. Italy awarded him its Croce di Guerra al Merito and Montenegro its War Medal. He eventually received nearly 50 decorations. His Medal of Honor citation reads:

After his platoon suffered heavy casualties and 3 other noncommissioned officers had become casualties, Cpl. York assumed command. Fearlessly leading 7 men, he charged with great daring a machine gun nest which was pouring deadly and incessant fire upon his platoon. In this heroic feat the machine gun nest was taken, together with 4 officers and 128 men and several guns.

Of his deeds, York said to his division commander, General George B. Duncan, in 1919:

A higher power than man power guided and watched over me and told me what to do.

A goverment of men to defend the rights of each man and each man to defend the rights of all men.
I'm only human, it's my biggest flaw.

We must all realize a sink a chair and a pillow are all luxuries of home and a soldiers helmet takes the place of all three.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1516308
Netherlands
11/28/2012 07:42 PM
Report Abusive Post
Isn't there a lot of war and terror and bloodshed in the Bible?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1194370
United States
11/28/2012 07:44 PM
Report Abusive Post

Who knows OP... perhaps the do it to protect your freedom to insult them?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 10809107
United States
11/28/2012 07:52 PM
Report Abusive Post
First of all murder is wrong, killing is not your use and uderstanding of your own language is skewed, your intrchanging two differnt words for the same meaning. This is why so many people confuse the 10 commandments the Hebrew word thou shall not murder (which is the original translation) now lets think about it murder is pre-mediated out of anger, Killing is an act of defense or duty
DSL Connector

User ID: 11566547
United States
11/28/2012 07:54 PM
Report Abusive Post
James 5:4 Behold, the pay of the laborers who mowed your fields, and which has been withheld by you, cries out against you; and the outcry of those who did the harvesting has reached the ears of the Lord of Sabaoth.

Sabaoth, the transliteration of the Hebrew word _tsebha'oth_, meaning "hosts," "armies" Ro 9:29 Jas 5:4 In the LXX. the Hebrew word is rendered by "Almighty." (See) Re 4:8 comp. Isa 6:3 It may designate Jehovah as either (1 God of the armies of earth, or (2 God of the armies of the stars, or (3 God of the unseen armies of angels; or perhaps it may include all these ideas.

Source: Easton's Bible Dictionary
DSL is better than cable! :)
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 23794435
United States
11/28/2012 08:21 PM
Report Abusive Post
I highly recommend this movie. It's based on a true story of Sergeant Alvin York. He wrestles with this very subject in this scene:

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 18942840
Canada
11/28/2012 08:25 PM
Report Abusive Post
Why Not? Nothing in scripture precludes participation in the military.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 7453416

Yeah, not a single thing about loving your enemies and turning the other cheek. That must have been in some other bible.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 20187169
United Kingdom
11/28/2012 08:28 PM
Report Abusive Post
Christions are the most violent folks there is.

all in the name of god

religion is a poison
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 28485923

Thats utter bullshit,most Christian are living in peace,all people of the world are entitled too self defence.

The most violent people on earth right now are muslims.

The Christians world have done more for the world than the rest of the world has for it.

The Christian world is the most tolerant and thats too its own demise.
MHz

User ID: 25505891
Canada
11/28/2012 08:33 PM
Report Abusive Post
Belonging to the Government makes them part of the sword in Roman 13. That's the good news.The bad news is you happen to be holding a sword on the day of return He is going to mistake you for an enemy.

Lu:3:14:
And the soldiers likewise demanded of him,
saying,
And what shall we do?
And he said unto them,
Do violence to no man,
neither accuse any falsely;
and be content with your wages.

Last Edited by MHz on 11/28/2012 08:33 PM
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27755618
United States
11/28/2012 08:34 PM
Report Abusive Post
Nah..christians LOVE murder.

Every time you disagree with them..in their hearts rises a self righteous loathing of you..a wishing of hell and death on you..and inside..deep down..they have already murdered you in their heart.

According to Jesus..its as GOOD as murder.

But some will join the military so they can put into practice what most of them only wish to do.

Its all about DOOM and DEATH with them.

Thay are OBSESSED with it.

Anytime there is doom they all have a doomgasm screaming.. "GREAT..all this DOOM and DEATH and MISERY means JESUS is coming back and we can get outta here like the COWARDS we are while all those SINNERS we wanted DEAD...FINALLY DIE..as they deserve...for DARING not to beleive us and out crazed blood obsessed rantings.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 0

lies, lies, and more lies. wow.
Carshy McCarsh

User ID: 1482307
11/28/2012 08:38 PM
Report Abusive Post

Transparent troll is transparent.

Defense and offense in war isn't murder. But you knew that.

Good luck with your research.
Tell me what this tastes like...
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 21613499
United States
11/28/2012 08:51 PM
Report Abusive Post
OP is a troll

why not? Many if not the majority of biblical figures were involved in some kind of war and not by their own choice shit happens, deal with it
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 14408911
United States
11/28/2012 08:54 PM
Report Abusive Post
Even as a kid stuck in church I realized that the Christian goodness was a facade.

From the minister that reeked of last nights alcohol to the hypocrites that judged each other 6 days a week and pretended to like each other for a couple of hours on Sundays, to the do as I say not as I do laughable sermons coming from the pulpit. Oh and the money thing as well. Gotta pay to play.

I never understood the promotion of war through the singing of hymns.
If I could see this at age 8, what the heck was wrong with all the adults. Oh yeah, they were brainwashed.

I blame this hymn for the acceptance of war.

tomato
 Quoting: Madame X

This song always reminds of the Emperor Constantine and how he founded Christianity by forcing it on the rest of the Roman Empire through war and conquest. That's how Christianity got its start. He could have been channeling that song to the writer from the afterlie, it's so apt.
BANISHED
User ID: 28675813
United States
11/28/2012 09:18 PM
Report Abusive Post
CHRISTIAN soldiers who kill under military orders do not commit murder, "Murder" is an "unlawful" killing. (look up any governments law on the definition of murder) Murder is not unlawful when the military orders it - unless of course the soldier is on the losing side, because the winning side will call it murder. Hmm, if think about that deep enough, it gives cause for concern on a number of points.
MHz

Canada
11/28/2012 11:01 PM
Report Abusive Post
Are more Christians Watchers or Soldiers?
[link to www.youtube.com]
MHz

Canada
11/28/2012 11:03 PM
Report Abusive Post
CHRISTIAN soldiers who kill under military orders do not commit murder, "Murder" is an "unlawful" killing. (look up any governments law on the definition of murder) Murder is not unlawful when the military orders it - unless of course the soldier is on the losing side, because the winning side will call it murder. Hmm, if think about that deep enough, it gives cause for concern on a number of points.
 Quoting: BANISHED 28675813

That why the sword can be called a red sword.

Re:6:4:
And there went out another horse that was red:
and power was given to him that sat thereon to take peace from the earth,
and that they should kill one another:
and there was given unto him a great sword.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1155763
United States
11/29/2012 10:39 AM
Report Abusive Post
 Quoting: BANISHED 28675813

Nice way to justify breaking Gods Commandment number 6 "thou shall not kill". Maybe you people that think killing is right because your government told you to should add to Gods rules, since he obviously left out a very important sub-clause.

Fucking drones.
stars

User ID: 17867407
United States
11/29/2012 11:01 AM
Report Abusive Post
I dont call myself a christian, I do live by the 10 C's...and believe in Christ, not religeon.
I joined the Army in the 80's, there was no war on, we just party'd alot. I mastered the m16 an became an expert marksman mainly cause it was fun. I thank God I never had to use it.
You couldn't pay me enough to join now a days. Its just plain murder, I dont go there! Dont want ANY part of it.

Last Edited by stars on 11/29/2012 11:12 AM
stars
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 27851254
United States
11/29/2012 11:04 AM
Report Abusive Post
yeah christianity is as fake as the debt based money...which btw, is supposedly against christian belief.

they also cast their consent(vote) for liars & thieves..very christian to choose a lesser evil i guess

hard to take them seriously.

GLP