IMPORTANT! - Fluoride Linked to #1 Cause of Death in New Research

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1432653
United States
01/17/2012 07:38 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: IMPORTANT! - Fluoride Linked to #1 Cause of Death in New Research
We have known about these dangers since the 1960's through family friend who was chemical engineer.

The super rich in USA found out about why the Nazi's were using it in their concentration camps to take away their victims "WILL" to escape or do critical thinking. So in 1946, one year after the war, they added it to all major cities water supplies. Then used the stupid excuse that it prevented "cavities".

Please America, start questioning these 'bizaar human experiments' before they kill most of us off with this controled information at even university levels. How damn dumb does this sound knowing that these super rich people paid off their staffs running "THEIR" college's. Just go look at the line of fools who allowed this super poison to be put in our childrens drinking water. This is criminal beyond just Nazies, since it shows these big corporations have been taken over by the same people we fought in WW-II.
ThreeWhiteEyes

User ID: 7984667
United States
01/17/2012 07:48 PM
Report Abusive Post
fluoride does a lot more harm than medical science currently knows about.

fluoride is the cornerstone of the dark cabals medical malice
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 9013745

I 100% believe this!
 Quoting: WeAreOne

Yeah in grade school they literally force fed us flouride to 'rinse our mouths with' at a certain time every day. My mom had to pay for it too. I remember anyone who showed resistance was treated like a delinquent. They were treated as if it WAS a big deal. Never thought anything of it. Oh well, I've done SO much worse to this body. It's what's driving this body I am worried about.
Some things are better left unsaid.
aether

User ID: 1412926
United Kingdom
01/17/2012 07:56 PM
Report Abusive Post
1948 Donora smog

The 1948 Donora smog was a historic air inversion resulting in a wall of smog that killed 20 people and sickened 7,000 more in Donora, Pennsylvania, a mill town on the Monongahela River, 24 miles (39 km) southeast of Pittsburgh.
 Quoting: observation

[link to en.wikipedia.org]

The Donora Fluoride Fog:
A Secret History of America's Worst Air Pollution Disaster

[link to www.fluoridation.com]
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1811538
United States
01/17/2012 08:01 PM
Report Abusive Post
No, really, take EDTA.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 8951556
United States
01/17/2012 08:02 PM
Report Abusive Post
Not going to read 7 pages of anti-fluoride idiocy. I read the original research paper. They were studying the effectiveness of using a fluoride tracer with a CAT scan in order to image atherosclerosis.

But whatever, some moronic website misreads a research paper, puts out a flat out incorrect headline and you morons eat it up.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 8954905

You have a poor ability to abstract and deduce from evidence, not to mention a lack of rudimentary reading comprehension skill.

But the researchers did not, for they cite in their conclusion...

CONCLUSION: sodium [¹⁸F]fluoride PET/CT might be useful in the evaluation of the atherosclerotic process in major arteries, including coronary arteries. An increased fluoride uptake in coronary arteries may be associated with an increased cardiovascular risk.
Dragon Slayer
United States
01/17/2012 08:03 PM
Report Abusive Post
They say a little knowledge is dangerous...

This research DOES NOT link Floride to cardiovascular disease, it is being used to find calcium deposits in imaging. see in the original abstract the reference to PET-CT? thats Positron Emission Tomography - Computed Tomography, and the research is to use Sodium Floride to bind to the Calcium deposits, to higlight them. Think Barium meal.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 8114581

Another shill-bot with 2nd grade reading skills.

CONCLUSION: sodium [¹⁸F]fluoride PET/CT might be useful in the evaluation of the atherosclerotic process in major arteries, including coronary arteries. An increased fluoride uptake in coronary arteries may be associated with an increased cardiovascular risk.
A Muse Me

User ID: 1492096
United States
01/17/2012 08:11 PM
Report Abusive Post
1948 Donora smog

The 1948 Donora smog was a historic air inversion resulting in a wall of smog that killed 20 people and sickened 7,000 more in Donora, Pennsylvania, a mill town on the Monongahela River, 24 miles (39 km) southeast of Pittsburgh.
 Quoting: observation

The Donora Fluoride Fog:
A Secret History of America's Worst Air Pollution Disaster

[link to www.fluoridation.com]
 Quoting: aether

[link to www.publicbroadcasting.net]

And I found out because of this thread that we are mining it again. So not will we continue the industrial waste form but now mine. So now be exposed to it in 2 forms. And the mining of it brings up the larger concern I had of the chlorine atoms released in mining. (Something the article does talk about either.) The Clean Air Act of 1990 began the phasing out of mining because of the Montreal Protocol telling us that chlorine was one of the big factors in causing the ozone hole. So I have now deduced that the planet must have miraculously healed herself in the last 20 years. Of course my deduction was pure unadulterated sarcasm.
The term derives from the Ancient Greek words, meta, meaning beyond or after, and noia, meaning perception or understanding or mind.
iamalive
User ID: 1265054
United States
01/17/2012 08:13 PM
Report Abusive Post
Why do you think they PUT sodium flouride in the water...to make us stupid and sterile.
I know I has at leest wun of theez simptems.
SnakeAirlines

User ID: 899255
United States
01/17/2012 08:22 PM
Report Abusive Post
Then why not just mine the flourine then? Seems kinda round about to derive it as an industrial waste from the above industries. Oh right. I forgot. We don’t mine it directly here in the States because of regulations.
 Quoting: A Muse Me

Can you show me these 'regulations'?

popcorn
 Quoting: SnakeAirlines

Good catch. I didn’t realize we were mining fluorspar again? Wow. I do thank you for pointing me into that direction. Do you happen to have the amendment to the Clean Air Act that changed that handy?
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1492096

So you can't show me these 'regulations'...

A simple 'No' would have sufficed...

rolleyes
"Hold my cat while I bring in my tomato plant. That chemtrail looks like an earthquake chemtrail"

deanoZXT-07/20/2014 07:48 PM
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 8954905
United States
01/17/2012 08:27 PM
Report Abusive Post
Not going to read 7 pages of anti-fluoride idiocy. I read the original research paper. They were studying the effectiveness of using a fluoride tracer with a CAT scan in order to image atherosclerosis.

But whatever, some moronic website misreads a research paper, puts out a flat out incorrect headline and you morons eat it up.

You have a poor ability to abstract and deduce from evidence, not to mention a lack of rudimentary reading comprehension skill.

Quoting: Anonymous Coward 8951556

Yeah, I'm such a bad reader and thinker that I managed to become my class valedictorian and am read by tens of thousands of people worldwide in my field.

In any case, the increased uptake once again refers to the tracer they are using - fluoride. In other words, if someone has calcification occurring in their coronary arteries then that is probably a risk factor for heart disease.

Fluoride binds with calcium. That's why they are using it as a tracer for CAT scans. They inject you with it so it will bind with any calcification deposits and then scan you.

If the CAT scan shows increased uptake of that tracer in your coronary arteries then chances are you have calcification going on there and are at risk for heart disease.

Of course, if you weren't a grade A moron you would've read it properly instead of twisting their words to fit your fantasy.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 9066082
United States
01/17/2012 08:36 PM
Report Abusive Post
Comment removed by U.S government due to national security.
A Muse Me

United States
01/17/2012 08:36 PM
Report Abusive Post
Then why not just mine the flourine then? Seems kinda round about to derive it as an industrial waste from the above industries. Oh right. I forgot. We don’t mine it directly here in the States because of regulations.

popcorn

Good catch. I didn’t realize we were mining fluorspar again? Wow. I do thank you for pointing me into that direction. Do you happen to have the amendment to the Clean Air Act that changed that handy?

rolleyes

The Clean Air Act Amendment of 1990 phased out the mining of it. Go find your own copy. By 2002 there were no active mines anymore. So now. You show me the Amendment to the Amendment that changed that in the last couple of years. Surely you must have been pleased in the change so you should have a copy handy.
The term derives from the Ancient Greek words, meta, meaning beyond or after, and noia, meaning perception or understanding or mind.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 8908865
Puerto Rico
01/17/2012 08:39 PM
Report Abusive Post
Just one of the many ways they are working on reducing the world's population.
BossBattles

User ID: 6464373
United States
01/17/2012 08:41 PM
Report Abusive Post

THIS.
I can say what I want to,
even if I'm not serious.
Anonymous Coward
United States
01/17/2012 08:45 PM
Report Abusive Post

popcorn

rolleyes

The Clean Air Act Amendment of 1990 phased out the mining of it. Go find your own copy. By 2002 there were no active mines anymore. So now. You show me the Amendment to the Amendment that changed that in the last couple of years. Surely you must have been pleased in the change so you should have a copy handy.

Just reviewed the 'Clean Air Act'...You're wrong...

rolleyes
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 9067435
United States
01/17/2012 08:46 PM
Report Abusive Post
Ok. What are we supposed to do? If I only drink bottled water I might get health issues from the plastic?
A Muse Me

United States
01/17/2012 08:53 PM
Report Abusive Post

rolleyes

Just reviewed the 'Clean Air Act'...You're wrong...

rolleyes
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 899255

Then intuit the government report I am looking at that discusses why we stopped mining to get around the Montreal Protocol and Act of 1990 by moving to the usage of it from industrial waste instead.

Maybe that will help you tell me the regulations that are now allowing the mining again. Should I go look at some campaign contributions from 2008? Would that help me in my quest?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 9068153
United States
01/17/2012 08:58 PM
Report Abusive Post
Fluorides are a key ingredient of Prozac and many other psychiatric drugs. Prozac, scientific name Fluoxetine, is 94% fluoride.
 Quoting: WeAreOne

It will lessen your depression by making you not give a shit.

Total apathy... Isn't that nice?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 5141990
United States
01/17/2012 09:05 PM
Report Abusive Post
Snakey - go do your own homework. Your shilling lies get old.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 9069351
United Kingdom
01/17/2012 09:12 PM
Report Abusive Post
Fluoridation: Don't Let the Poisonmongers Scare You
Bob Sprague
Mary Bernhardt
Stephen Barrett, M.D.
Fluoride is a mineral that occurs naturally in most water supplies. Fluoridation is the adjustment of the natural fluoride concentration to about one part of fluoride to one million parts of water. Although fluoridation is safe and effective in preventing tooth decay, the scare tactics of misguided poisonmongers have deprived many communities of its benefits.

The history of fluoridation in the United States underlines its unique standing as a public health measure copied from a natural phenomenon. In the early 1900s, Dr. Frederick S. McKay began an almost 30-year search for the cause of the staining of teeth that was prevalent in Colorado, where he practiced dentistry. In his investigation, McKay found the condition common in other states, including Texas, where it was known as "Texas teeth." In 1928, he concluded that such teeth, although stained, showed "a singular absence of decay," and that both the staining and the decay resistance were caused by something in the water. In 1931, the "something" was identified as fluoride.

The Public Health Service then took over to determine precisely what amount of fluoride in the water would prevent decay without causing staining. Years of "shoeleather epidemiology" by Dr. H. Trendley Dean traced the dental status of 7,000 children who drank naturally fluoridated water in 21 cities in four states. In 1943, he reported that the ideal amount of fluoride was one part per million parts of water. This concentration was demonstrated to result in healthy, attractive teeth that had one-third as many cavities as might otherwise be expected—and no staining.

The next step was to determine whether water engineering could copy nature's amazing dental health benefit. At several test sites, the fluoride concentration of the public water supply was adjusted to one part per million.

One such test was conducted in the neighboring cities of Newburgh and Kingston, New York. First, the children in both cities were examined by dentists and physicians; then fluoride was added to Newburgh's water supply. After ten years, the children of Newburgh had 58% fewer decayed teeth than those of nonfluoridated Kingston. The greatest benefits were obtained by children who had drunk the fluoridated water since birth. Other studies showed that teeth made stronger by fluoride during childhood would remain permanently resistant to decay. As the evidence supporting fluoridation accrued, thousands of communities acted to obtain its benefits.

Too much fluoride can cause dental fluorosis, which, in its mildest form, causes small, white, virtually invisible opaque areas on teeth. In severe form, fluorosis results in brownish mottling. However, dental fluorosis is not caused by artificial fluoridation, because the levels are kept low enough to avoid this effect.

In recent years, fluoridation has been reducing the incidence of cavities 20% to 40% in children and 15% to 35% in adults. The reduction is less than it used to be, probably due to improved dental hygiene and widespread use of fluoride toothpaste. Currently, more than 140 million Americans live in fluoridated communities. But 80 million others receive public water supplies that are not fluoridated—thanks largely to the efforts of poisonmongers.

How Poisonmongers Work
The antifluoridationists' ("antis") basic technique is the big lie. Made infamous by Hitler, it is simple to use, yet surprisingly effective. It consists of claiming that fluoridation causes cancer, heart and kidney disease, and other serious ailments that people fear. The fact that there is no supporting evidence for such claims does not matter. The trick is to keep repeating them—because if something is said often enough, people tend to think there must be some truth to it.

A variation of the big lie is the laundry list. List enough "evils," and even if proponents can reply to some of them, they will never be able to cover the entire list. This technique is most effective in debates, letters to the editor, and television news reports. Another variation is the simple statement that fluoridation doesn't work. Although recent studies show less difference than there used to be in decay rates between fluoridated and nonfluoridated communities, the benefit is still substantial. In fact, the Public Health Service estimates that every dollar spent for community fluoridation saves about fifty dollars in dental bills.

A key factor in any anti campaign is the use of printed matter. Because of this, antis are very eager to have their views printed. Scientific journals will rarely publish them, but most local newspapers are willing to express minority viewpoints regardless of whether facts support them. A few editors even welcome the controversy the antis generate—expecting that it will increase readership.

The aim of anti "documents" is to create the illusion of scientific controversy. Often they quote statements that are out of date or out of context. Quotes from obscure or hard-to-locate journals are often used. Another favored tactic is to misquote a profluoridation scientist, knowing that even if the scientist protests, the reply will not reach all those who read the original misquote.

Half-truths are commonly used. For example, saying that fluoride is a rat poison ignores the fact that poison is a matter of dose. Large amounts of many substances—even pure water—can poison people. But the trace amount of fluoride contained in fluoridated water will not harm anyone.

"Experts" are commonly quoted. It is possible to find someone with scientific credentials who is against just about anything. Most "experts" who speak out against fluoridation, however, are not experts on the subject. There are, of course, a few dentists and physicians who oppose fluoridation. Some of them object to fluoridation as a form of government intrusion, even though they know it is safe and effective.

Innuendo is a technique that has broad appeal because it can be used in a seemingly unemotional pitch. Some antis admit that fluoridation has been found safe "so far," but claim that its long-range effects have "not yet" been fully explored. The waiting game is a related gambit in which antis suggest that waiting a bit longer will help to resolve "doubt" about fluoridation's safety. No doubt, some antis will continue to use this argument for a few hundred more years.

A few antis have offered a "reward" for proving that fluoridation is safe. During the 1970s, a $100,000 offer required the pros to post a bond "to cover any costs which the offerers of the reward might incur if the proof is deemed invalid." The offer did not state who would judge the evidence, but it was safe to assume that the antis themselves would have appointed the judges. If a suit had been filed to collect the reward, the court might have ruled that the offer was a gambling bet that should not be enforced by a court. Such a suit would have required at least $25,000 for the bond and legal fees. Even if it had been won, however, there was no assurance that the money would have been recovered from the individuals who sponsored the reward. Most of them were elderly and scattered widely throughout the United States and Canada.

Since the scientific community is so solidly in favor of fluoridation, antis try to discredit it entirely by use of the conspiracy gambit. The beauty of the conspiracy charge is that it can be leveled at anyone and there is absolutely no way to disprove it. After all, how does one prove that something is not taking place secretly? Favorite "conspirators" are the U.S. Public Health Service, the American Dental Association, the American Medical Association, and the aluminum industry. Apparently, in the minds of the antis, these groups could all be working together to "poison" the American people! Years ago, conspiracy claims would work primarily with the very paranoid. But modern-day government scandals may make them seem realistic to a wider audience.The "slippery slope" claim is a related gambit. "This is only the beginning!" the antis wail. "First they will add fluoride, then vitamin pills, and the next thing you know it will be birth control pills!" Who "they" are need not be specified.

Scare words will add zip to any anti campaign. Not only the more obvious ones like "cancer" and "heart disease," but also more specialized terms like "mongoloid births" and "sickle-cell anemia." Ecology words are also useful. Calling fluoride a "chemical" (rather than a nutrient) can strike fear in the minds of many Americans who fear we are already too "chemicalized." The fact that water itself is a chemical and the fact that responsible use of chemicals is extremely helpful to our society will not reassure everyone. Fluoride is also called "artificial" and "a pollutant," which is "against nature."

Faced with the fact that fluoridation merely copies a natural phenomenon, the antis reply that "natural" fluoride differs from "artificial" fluoride—a "fact" as yet undiscovered by scientists.

Suggesting alternatives is another common tactic. Here the antis propose that the community distribute free fluoride tablets to parents who wish to give them to their children. The suggested program sounds "democratic," but it will not be effective from a public health standpoint. Most parents are not motivated to administer the 4,000+ doses needed from birth through age twelve. The plea for alternatives is often made by a "neutral" individual who sounds like he will support an alternative program if water fluoridation is defeated. Don't bet on it. Such advocacy is almost always a propaganda ploy.

Once fluoridation has begun in a community, antis can resort to the "cause-of-all-evil" gambit—blaming fluoridation for everything that occurred after it started. An example of this tactic, one that backfired on opponents, took place in Cleveland on June 1, 1956—when fluorides were to be added to the city's water supply. That day, the phone calls began: "My goldfish have died." "My African violets are wilting." "I can't make a decent cup of coffee." "My dog is constipated." Although the basis of such complaints is emotional rather than physical, this time fluoridation's innocence was beyond question. Last-minute problems had delayed its start until July!

"Let the People Decide"
The antis' most persuasive argument, both to legislators and to the general public, is to call for a public vote. On the surface, this appears to be the democratic way to settle the issue. But the antis are dealing from a stacked deck. First, the people who need fluoridation the most—the children—do not vote. Second, it is not difficult to confuse voters by flooding the community with scare propaganda. Average citizens do not have the educational background to sort out claim and counterclaim or to judge which "authorities" to believe. To turn against fluoridation, they don't need to accept all the anti arguments—only one. The sheer bulk of the controversy is itself likely to arouse doubt in the minds of most voters.Antis who say, "Let the people decide," may sound as if they wish to use a democratic process to make the decision, but experience in many cities has shown otherwise. If fluoridation wins a referendum, the usual anti response is to work for another one. In some communities that allow repeated referendums on the same subject, fluoridation has been in and out, and in and out again. When this happens, not only do children suffer, but taxpayers are saddled with the cost of the referendums.Curiously, studies have shown that referendums can lose even in communities where public opinion favors fluoridation. People will usually go to the polls to vote against what they don't like. So the crucial factor in many referendums is the ability of proponents to mobilize the supporters. A 1998 Gallup Poll commissioned by the American Dental Association found that when asked "Do you believe community water should be fluoridated?" 70% of respondents believed that community water should be fluoridated, 18% did not, and 12% were undecided. Yet small numbers of vocal critics still manage to impede its implementation in many communities.

Cancer Scares
In the mid-1970s, John Yiamouyiannis, Ph.D. and another anti began issuing a series of reports claiming that fluoridation causes cancer. Experts concluded that these reports were based on a misinterpretation of government statistics. They had compared cancer death rates in fluoridated and nonfluoridated cities but failed to consider various factors in each city (such as industrial pollution) that are known to raise the cancer death rate. By 1977, independent investigations by eight of the leading medical and scientific organizations in the English-speaking world had refuted the claims, but they still surface today in many communities that consider fluoridation.In 1990, the cancer charge was raised again following an unauthorized release of data from an experiment in which rats and mice were exposed to high dosages of fluoride. The experiment was conducted by the National Toxicology Program, a branch of the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences. The agency's final report stated that there was no evidence of cancer-causing activity in female rats or in male and female mice and only "equivocal evidence" in male rats. Subsequent review by a U.S. Public Health Service expert panel concluded that the data were insignificant and that fluoridation posed no risk of cancer or any other disease.

Don't Be Misled
As a public health measure, fluoridation is unusual in several ways. It is a copy of a naturally occurring phenomenon. It is supported by libraries full of articles that document its safety and effectiveness—more so than any other public health measure. It is supported by a variety of health, scientific, and civic groups that could hardly be expected to agree on any other single measure. But most significant, it is the only health measure that is often put to public vote.If you live in a community with fluoridated water, consider yourself lucky. If you do not, don't let the poisonmongers scare you. Fluoridation is still a modern health miracle.

[link to www.quackwatch.org]
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1311324
United States
01/17/2012 09:20 PM
Report Abusive Post
Fluoridation: Don't Let the Poisonmongers Scare You
Bob Sprague
Mary Bernhardt
Stephen Barrett, M.D.
Fluoride is a mineral that occurs naturally in most water supplies. Fluoridation is the adjustment of the natural fluoride concentration to about one part of fluoride to one million parts of water. Although fluoridation is safe and effective in preventing tooth decay, the scare tactics of misguided poisonmongers have deprived many communities of its benefits.

The history of fluoridation in the United States underlines its unique standing as a public health measure copied from a natural phenomenon. In the early 1900s, Dr. Frederick S. McKay began an almost 30-year search for the cause of the staining of teeth that was prevalent in Colorado, where he practiced dentistry. In his investigation, McKay found the condition common in other states, including Texas, where it was known as "Texas teeth." In 1928, he concluded that such teeth, although stained, showed "a singular absence of decay," and that both the staining and the decay resistance were caused by something in the water. In 1931, the "something" was identified as fluoride.

The Public Health Service then took over to determine precisely what amount of fluoride in the water would prevent decay without causing staining. Years of "shoeleather epidemiology" by Dr. H. Trendley Dean traced the dental status of 7,000 children who drank naturally fluoridated water in 21 cities in four states. In 1943, he reported that the ideal amount of fluoride was one part per million parts of water. This concentration was demonstrated to result in healthy, attractive teeth that had one-third as many cavities as might otherwise be expected—and no staining.

The next step was to determine whether water engineering could copy nature's amazing dental health benefit. At several test sites, the fluoride concentration of the public water supply was adjusted to one part per million.

One such test was conducted in the neighboring cities of Newburgh and Kingston, New York. First, the children in both cities were examined by dentists and physicians; then fluoride was added to Newburgh's water supply. After ten years, the children of Newburgh had 58% fewer decayed teeth than those of nonfluoridated Kingston. The greatest benefits were obtained by children who had drunk the fluoridated water since birth. Other studies showed that teeth made stronger by fluoride during childhood would remain permanently resistant to decay. As the evidence supporting fluoridation accrued, thousands of communities acted to obtain its benefits.

Too much fluoride can cause dental fluorosis, which, in its mildest form, causes small, white, virtually invisible opaque areas on teeth. In severe form, fluorosis results in brownish mottling. However, dental fluorosis is not caused by artificial fluoridation, because the levels are kept low enough to avoid this effect.

In recent years, fluoridation has been reducing the incidence of cavities 20% to 40% in children and 15% to 35% in adults. The reduction is less than it used to be, probably due to improved dental hygiene and widespread use of fluoride toothpaste. Currently, more than 140 million Americans live in fluoridated communities. But 80 million others receive public water supplies that are not fluoridated—thanks largely to the efforts of poisonmongers.

How Poisonmongers Work
The antifluoridationists' ("antis") basic technique is the big lie. Made infamous by Hitler, it is simple to use, yet surprisingly effective. It consists of claiming that fluoridation causes cancer, heart and kidney disease, and other serious ailments that people fear. The fact that there is no supporting evidence for such claims does not matter. The trick is to keep repeating them—because if something is said often enough, people tend to think there must be some truth to it.

A variation of the big lie is the laundry list. List enough "evils," and even if proponents can reply to some of them, they will never be able to cover the entire list. This technique is most effective in debates, letters to the editor, and television news reports. Another variation is the simple statement that fluoridation doesn't work. Although recent studies show less difference than there used to be in decay rates between fluoridated and nonfluoridated communities, the benefit is still substantial. In fact, the Public Health Service estimates that every dollar spent for community fluoridation saves about fifty dollars in dental bills.

A key factor in any anti campaign is the use of printed matter. Because of this, antis are very eager to have their views printed. Scientific journals will rarely publish them, but most local newspapers are willing to express minority viewpoints regardless of whether facts support them. A few editors even welcome the controversy the antis generate—expecting that it will increase readership.

The aim of anti "documents" is to create the illusion of scientific controversy. Often they quote statements that are out of date or out of context. Quotes from obscure or hard-to-locate journals are often used. Another favored tactic is to misquote a profluoridation scientist, knowing that even if the scientist protests, the reply will not reach all those who read the original misquote.

Half-truths are commonly used. For example, saying that fluoride is a rat poison ignores the fact that poison is a matter of dose. Large amounts of many substances—even pure water—can poison people. But the trace amount of fluoride contained in fluoridated water will not harm anyone.

"Experts" are commonly quoted. It is possible to find someone with scientific credentials who is against just about anything. Most "experts" who speak out against fluoridation, however, are not experts on the subject. There are, of course, a few dentists and physicians who oppose fluoridation. Some of them object to fluoridation as a form of government intrusion, even though they know it is safe and effective.

Innuendo is a technique that has broad appeal because it can be used in a seemingly unemotional pitch. Some antis admit that fluoridation has been found safe "so far," but claim that its long-range effects have "not yet" been fully explored. The waiting game is a related gambit in which antis suggest that waiting a bit longer will help to resolve "doubt" about fluoridation's safety. No doubt, some antis will continue to use this argument for a few hundred more years.

A few antis have offered a "reward" for proving that fluoridation is safe. During the 1970s, a $100,000 offer required the pros to post a bond "to cover any costs which the offerers of the reward might incur if the proof is deemed invalid." The offer did not state who would judge the evidence, but it was safe to assume that the antis themselves would have appointed the judges. If a suit had been filed to collect the reward, the court might have ruled that the offer was a gambling bet that should not be enforced by a court. Such a suit would have required at least $25,000 for the bond and legal fees. Even if it had been won, however, there was no assurance that the money would have been recovered from the individuals who sponsored the reward. Most of them were elderly and scattered widely throughout the United States and Canada.

Since the scientific community is so solidly in favor of fluoridation, antis try to discredit it entirely by use of the conspiracy gambit. The beauty of the conspiracy charge is that it can be leveled at anyone and there is absolutely no way to disprove it. After all, how does one prove that something is not taking place secretly? Favorite "conspirators" are the U.S. Public Health Service, the American Dental Association, the American Medical Association, and the aluminum industry. Apparently, in the minds of the antis, these groups could all be working together to "poison" the American people! Years ago, conspiracy claims would work primarily with the very paranoid. But modern-day government scandals may make them seem realistic to a wider audience.The "slippery slope" claim is a related gambit. "This is only the beginning!" the antis wail. "First they will add fluoride, then vitamin pills, and the next thing you know it will be birth control pills!" Who "they" are need not be specified.

Scare words will add zip to any anti campaign. Not only the more obvious ones like "cancer" and "heart disease," but also more specialized terms like "mongoloid births" and "sickle-cell anemia." Ecology words are also useful. Calling fluoride a "chemical" (rather than a nutrient) can strike fear in the minds of many Americans who fear we are already too "chemicalized." The fact that water itself is a chemical and the fact that responsible use of chemicals is extremely helpful to our society will not reassure everyone. Fluoride is also called "artificial" and "a pollutant," which is "against nature."

Faced with the fact that fluoridation merely copies a natural phenomenon, the antis reply that "natural" fluoride differs from "artificial" fluoride—a "fact" as yet undiscovered by scientists.

Suggesting alternatives is another common tactic. Here the antis propose that the community distribute free fluoride tablets to parents who wish to give them to their children. The suggested program sounds "democratic," but it will not be effective from a public health standpoint. Most parents are not motivated to administer the 4,000+ doses needed from birth through age twelve. The plea for alternatives is often made by a "neutral" individual who sounds like he will support an alternative program if water fluoridation is defeated. Don't bet on it. Such advocacy is almost always a propaganda ploy.

Once fluoridation has begun in a community, antis can resort to the "cause-of-all-evil" gambit—blaming fluoridation for everything that occurred after it started. An example of this tactic, one that backfired on opponents, took place in Cleveland on June 1, 1956—when fluorides were to be added to the city's water supply. That day, the phone calls began: "My goldfish have died." "My African violets are wilting." "I can't make a decent cup of coffee." "My dog is constipated." Although the basis of such complaints is emotional rather than physical, this time fluoridation's innocence was beyond question. Last-minute problems had delayed its start until July!

"Let the People Decide"
The antis' most persuasive argument, both to legislators and to the general public, is to call for a public vote. On the surface, this appears to be the democratic way to settle the issue. But the antis are dealing from a stacked deck. First, the people who need fluoridation the most—the children—do not vote. Second, it is not difficult to confuse voters by flooding the community with scare propaganda. Average citizens do not have the educational background to sort out claim and counterclaim or to judge which "authorities" to believe. To turn against fluoridation, they don't need to accept all the anti arguments—only one. The sheer bulk of the controversy is itself likely to arouse doubt in the minds of most voters.Antis who say, "Let the people decide," may sound as if they wish to use a democratic process to make the decision, but experience in many cities has shown otherwise. If fluoridation wins a referendum, the usual anti response is to work for another one. In some communities that allow repeated referendums on the same subject, fluoridation has been in and out, and in and out again. When this happens, not only do children suffer, but taxpayers are saddled with the cost of the referendums.Curiously, studies have shown that referendums can lose even in communities where public opinion favors fluoridation. People will usually go to the polls to vote against what they don't like. So the crucial factor in many referendums is the ability of proponents to mobilize the supporters. A 1998 Gallup Poll commissioned by the American Dental Association found that when asked "Do you believe community water should be fluoridated?" 70% of respondents believed that community water should be fluoridated, 18% did not, and 12% were undecided. Yet small numbers of vocal critics still manage to impede its implementation in many communities.

Cancer Scares
In the mid-1970s, John Yiamouyiannis, Ph.D. and another anti began issuing a series of reports claiming that fluoridation causes cancer. Experts concluded that these reports were based on a misinterpretation of government statistics. They had compared cancer death rates in fluoridated and nonfluoridated cities but failed to consider various factors in each city (such as industrial pollution) that are known to raise the cancer death rate. By 1977, independent investigations by eight of the leading medical and scientific organizations in the English-speaking world had refuted the claims, but they still surface today in many communities that consider fluoridation.In 1990, the cancer charge was raised again following an unauthorized release of data from an experiment in which rats and mice were exposed to high dosages of fluoride. The experiment was conducted by the National Toxicology Program, a branch of the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences. The agency's final report stated that there was no evidence of cancer-causing activity in female rats or in male and female mice and only "equivocal evidence" in male rats. Subsequent review by a U.S. Public Health Service expert panel concluded that the data were insignificant and that fluoridation posed no risk of cancer or any other disease.

Don't Be Misled
As a public health measure, fluoridation is unusual in several ways. It is a copy of a naturally occurring phenomenon. It is supported by libraries full of articles that document its safety and effectiveness—more so than any other public health measure. It is supported by a variety of health, scientific, and civic groups that could hardly be expected to agree on any other single measure. But most significant, it is the only health measure that is often put to public vote.If you live in a community with fluoridated water, consider yourself lucky. If you do not, don't let the poisonmongers scare you. Fluoridation is still a modern health miracle.

[link to www.quackwatch.org]
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 9069351

bsflag
propoganda
Anonymous Coward
United States
01/17/2012 09:27 PM
Report Abusive Post
Then intuit the government report I am looking at that discusses why we stopped mining to get around the Montreal Protocol and Act of 1990 by moving to the usage of it from industrial waste instead.

As I asked...

Please just admit you can't show me (us) this alleged 'regulation' that disallows US mining of fluorspar......

popcorn
Dragon Slayer
United States
01/17/2012 09:29 PM
Report Abusive Post

Yeah, I'm such a bad reader and thinker that I managed to become my class valedictorian and am read by tens of thousands of people worldwide in my field.

In any case, the increased uptake once again refers to the tracer they are using - fluoride. In other words, if someone has calcification occurring in their coronary arteries then that is probably a risk factor for heart disease.

Fluoride binds with calcium. That's why they are using it as a tracer for CAT scans. They inject you with it so it will bind with any calcification deposits and then scan you.

If the CAT scan shows increased uptake of that tracer in your coronary arteries then chances are you have calcification going on there and are at risk for heart disease.

Of course, if you weren't a grade A moron you would've read it properly instead of twisting their words to fit your fantasy.

LOL. A valedictorian of Shilltard University?

If you were so smart you would be able to take it a step forward and realize the addition of a salt to a person's bloodstream, a person who already has arterial calcification especially, will result in an INCREASE in the arterial accretions due to the affinity of various NA-FL salt compounds to lodge there, as PROVEN by that study.

In addition these compound will also shed a fluoride ion or two which will bind with calcium either on the plaque, or creating a INSOLUBLE Calcium fluoride. (see reference below)

Now while insoluble CAF2 is generally harmless, the process whereby it was created has just removed that free calcium's potential to do its proper work in regulating the nervous system, specifically by disrupting the homeostasis (proper exchange) of sodium and calcium ions across the plasma membrane of a cell. In other words, Fluoride encourages a short in the circuit by reducing free Calcium.

^ a b c I. M. Rabinowitch. Acute Fluoride Poisoning. Can Med Assoc J. 1945, 52, 345–349. [1]

The mechanism of toxicity involves the combination of the fluoride anion with the calcium ions in the blood to form insoluble calcium fluoride, resulting in hypocalcemia; calcium is indispensable for the function of the nervous system, and the condition can be fatal. Treatment may involve oral administration of dilute calcium hydroxide or calcium chloride to prevent further absorption, and injection of calcium gluconate to increase the calcium levels in the blood.
Anonymous Coward
United States
01/17/2012 09:34 PM
Report Abusive Post
One wonders why the AMA never speaks out against obvious disease causing agents.

All the AMA ever does is push drugs that have many harmful side effects on the trusting sheeple.

One wonders if the AMA deserves the trust place in it.

All you need to do, is look at the SYMBOL that the medical establishment uses. The "Caduceus", which was carried by Mercury, the messenger of the gods, guide of the dead and protector of merchants, shepherds, gamblers, liars, and thieves.

The symbol was adopted about a hundred years ago. About the same time that these "doctors" started putting the poison Mercury into various delivery methods.

Mercury truly is the perfect slow poison. Capable of creating al kinds of afflictions over time and none of it being traceable back to the mercury.

The dental profession uses it, and the medical profession uses it. Even though it was known to be a deadly poison, even 5,000 years ago!
Anonymous Coward
United States
01/17/2012 09:36 PM
Report Abusive Post
Mercury has made more money for the medical establishment than you can imagine.

Mercury, Fluoride, and Aluminum.

BIG money makers.
Anonymous Coward
United States
01/17/2012 09:37 PM
Report Abusive Post

Mercury too.
A Muse Me

United States
01/17/2012 09:39 PM
Report Abusive Post

As I asked...

Please just admit you can't show me (us) this alleged 'regulation' that disallows US mining of fluorspar......

popcorn
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 899255

I posted the article above. Call the owner of the company listed in the article and ask him for the copy that should be stored in his files.
Anonymous Coward
United States
01/17/2012 09:42 PM
Report Abusive Post
Not only do the ELites want us dead they want to get rich off our dying.

It's been going on for a long time now.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 8954905
United States
01/17/2012 09:44 PM
Report Abusive Post

LOL. A valedictorian of Shilltard University?

If you were so smart you would be able to take it a step forward and realize the addition of a salt to a person's bloodstream, a person who already has arterial calcification especially, will result in an INCREASE in the arterial accretions due to the affinity of various NA-FL salt compounds to lodge there, as PROVEN by that study.

In addition these compound will also shed a fluoride ion or two which will bind with calcium either on the plaque, or creating a INSOLUBLE Calcium fluoride. (see reference below)

Now while insoluble CAF2 is generally harmless, the process whereby it was created has just removed that free calcium's potential to do its proper work in regulating the nervous system, specifically by disrupting the homeostasis (proper exchange) of sodium and calcium ions across the plasma membrane of a cell. In other words, Fluoride encourages a short in the circuit by reducing free Calcium.

^ a b c I. M. Rabinowitch. Acute Fluoride Poisoning. Can Med Assoc J. 1945, 52, 345–349. [1]

The mechanism of toxicity involves the combination of the fluoride anion with the calcium ions in the blood to form insoluble calcium fluoride, resulting in hypocalcemia; calcium is indispensable for the function of the nervous system, and the condition can be fatal. Treatment may involve oral administration of dilute calcium hydroxide or calcium chloride to prevent further absorption, and injection of calcium gluconate to increase the calcium levels in the blood.
 Quoting: Dragon Slayer 8951556

I'll tell you what I'm smart enough to do. I'm smart enough not to assume that drinking a miniscule amount of fluoride is going to cause heart disease based on the fact that directly injecting large amounts of fluoride into a person's bloodstream binds with the calcification that is already present.

I am also apparently smart enough to point out that this entire post is based on a lie. A misreading of the research done out of sheer stupidity or ideology.

I'm also smart enough to notice when faced with this fact none of you recognize the error and instead engage in the "baffle me with BS" maneuver that is easy to see through.
Anonymous Coward
United States
01/17/2012 09:46 PM
Report Abusive Post
We are and have been being poisoned for years. This started with the Nazi doctors coming here with their methods of population control during the making of the Atomic bomb. The Nazis did use this in their death camps. It is sickening that we allow this to happen.
 Quoting: KnightsTemplar.TV

The Knights of Templar (that you love so dearly) are guilty of crimes and conspiracies that go beyond that.

GLP