'US, Israel never tolerate free media'

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 10534694
Egypt
02/12/2012 12:32 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
'US, Israel never tolerate free media'
The Israelis are aware that media plays a powerful role especially when it comes to shining a light on stories, so they prevent activists and other pioneers to tell the truth, a prominent analyst says.

Press TV has conducted an interview with Ken O’keefe, international activist, to share his opinion on this issue.

The following is a transcript of the interview:

Press TV: You have had firsthand knowledge of this, trying to get information out, but being prevented from doing so.

O’Keefe: Well there is no question at all that telling the truth in this world is indeed a revolutionary act. And let us not confuse the journalists that work for what I consider to be ‘prostituted’ organizations posing as news agencies such as the BBC and others.

Those people cannot be put in the same category as those people who are on the ground telling the truth, uncensored and doing their best to get that to the people. There is a huge distinction between those two and clearly there are significant risks if you decide to expose the major criminals of our world.

Press TV: So it is not just about what you are trying to say, it is how you want to say it and therefore you will be treated in a different way depending on your stance?

O’Keefe: Well there is no question as we know Press TV has just had it license lifted here, why is that so-called free and democratic society? If you tell the truth you will find no favor with the powers had been in this world.

So particularly, in Palestine if you are telling the truth and exposing the American, European, the Israeli system and how it continues to maintain this very oppressive war criminal type of reality for the Palestinians, of course you are not going to find favor in fact it could be very risky.
[link to www.presstv.ir]
Anonymous Coward (OP)
Egypt
02/12/2012 12:39 PM
Report Abusive Post
Re: 'US, Israel never tolerate free media'
Just some examples to follow.

Helen Thomas: You cannot criticize Israel in the U.S. and survive
Former White House correspondent Helen Thomas stands by her controversial remarks on Israel that led to her retirement.

"They distorted my remarks, which they obviously have to do for their own propaganda purposes, otherwise people might wonder why they continue to take Palestinian land," said Thomas. There was no explanation of whom "they" referred to.

When she soon began getting calls about her remark, "I said this is the end of my job."

She issued an apology, she told the radio interviewer, because people were upset and she thought she had hurt people. "At the same time, I had the same feelings about Israel's aggression and brutality," Thomas said.

Asked whether she's anti-Semitic, she responded "Baloney!" She said she wants to be remembered for "integrity and my honesty and my belief in good journalism" and would like to work again.
[link to www.haaretz.com]
Anonymous Coward (OP)
Egypt
02/12/2012 12:44 PM
Report Abusive Post
Why people in the West never get any news coverage of Palestine/Gaza and only from Israel.

Media played an important part of the 2008–2009 Israel–Gaza conflict. Foreign press access to Gaza has been limited since November 2008 via either Egypt or Israel. On 29 December 2008, the Israeli Supreme Court ordered that journalists be allowed into Gaza whenever the crossings were opened, but the IDF refused to comply. There have been arrests of journalists due to violations of wartime censorship in Israel, and these have been denounced by international press organizations. Media infrastructure, including Al-Aqsa TV transmission equipment and foreign and local press offices, were hit during the conflict.
[link to en.wikipedia.org]
Anonymous Coward (OP)
Egypt
02/12/2012 12:49 PM
Report Abusive Post
German Journalists as well as british Journalists working for Springer and Guardian have to sign a pledge not to question or criticize Israel (Springer and guardian are owners of several newspapers/publishing companies, so it doesn't affect just one media).

[link to de.narkive.com]
Anonymous Coward (OP)
Egypt
02/12/2012 01:07 PM
Report Abusive Post
[link to www.youtube.com]

This interview was later censored - galloway exposing the interviewer and tv station!
Anonymous Coward (OP)
Egypt
02/12/2012 01:16 PM
Report Abusive Post

This interview was later censored - galloway exposing the interviewer and tv station!
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 10534694

I hope everybody watches this video - very amusing.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
Egypt
02/12/2012 07:47 PM
Report Abusive Post
Criticize Israel and Lose Your Career: Interview with Alison Weir

Alison Weir: They would be outraged and would demand that this stop. I have found that when I speak to groups around the country the most common question I receive is, “What can we do about this?!”

Alison Weir is at the forefront of combating the biased coverage of Israeli – Palestinian conflict in the mainstream media and through her sincere efforts has revealed the plight of the Palestinian nation under the occupation of Zionist regime. She believes that criticizing Israel in public will cost a journalist his career. She says that it’s far less damaging for an American journalist to write critically of the United State government than of Israel.

KZ: Have you ever been threatened or seriously intimidated for the content which you publish?

AW: Yes. I received a death threat in 2003. You can read the details here. We periodically receive obscene or harassing emails and phone calls from Zionists. There are websites that misconstrue my work and that defame me, including the very powerful Jewish “Anti-defamation League.”

There are infiltrators in the pro-Palestinian movement who initiate whispering campaigns against me and work to prevent groups from inviting me to speak and from using our written materials. This often fails; sometimes it succeeds.

Recently a man knocked my phone from my hands. You can see this here.

Once when I tried to go to Palestine I was stopped at Ben Gurion Airport, held in a detention cell for 28 hours, and deported. Twice I have been briefly detained by Israeli soldiers while trying to film incidents in the Occupied Territories.
[link to www.godlikeproductions.com]
Anonymous Coward (OP)
Egypt
02/12/2012 08:09 PM
Report Abusive Post
Time to drop some names:

Why do the American media treat the Israeli – Palestinian conflict so unfairly?

AW: I feel there are most multiple causes. Below are some of the main ones:

1. Advertising and consumer pressure by Israel partisans against media that begin to provide more accurate coverage on this issue. These are often orchestrated and cause considerable financial damage to news organizations.

2. Reporters and editors who are biased towards Israel. I recently was astounded to learn how many of the allegedly “objective” journalists in the region reporting for American media have close ties to the Israeli military. Ethan Bronner, New York Times bureau chief, has a son in the Israeli army. Others have themselves served in the Israeli military. “Pundit” Jeffrey Goldberg, who is often interviewed for commentary on U.S. mainstream news broadcasts, served in the Israeli military.

I’ve written several articles and made a video on this topic.

The Associated Press is probably the primary source of international news for media all over the U.S. and is probably an extremely significant cause of the problem. Its control bureau, through which virtually all reports on the region must pass, is located in Israel and is staffed largely by Jewish and Israeli journalists, many with close family ties to the Israeli military. Their reporting invariably contains pro-Israel spin and context. Quite often, they don’t even send out reports on newsworthy items that reveal negative facts about Israel.

3. Media owners, publishers, CEOs, etc. who are biased toward Israel, for example, Mortimer Zuckerman, Leslie Moonves, Sumner Redstone, etc. Journalist Jeffrey Blankfort has reported on this.

4. Editors who know nothing about this issue and would not necessarily be Israel partisans but are taken in by AP, the New York Times, etc. Journalists who have never been to the region, never read a book on it, or studied it independently, often think they are experts on the subject because they’ve been reading AP et al reports for years. They have no idea how filtered and slanted these are.

5. Journalists quickly learn that reporting honestly on Israel-Palestine is not a good career move and often self-censor. It is much safer not to touch the “third rail” of American journalism; they are aware that the people who pay them won’t like it. It is far less damaging to one’s career to write critically of the American government than of Israel.

6. Fear of being called “anti-Semitic” and of being black-balled. The ADL, similar organizations, and Israel partisans are quite powerful in the U.S. People don’t wish to come under their attack; they’ve seen what happened to Helen Thomas and others.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
Egypt
02/12/2012 08:30 PM
Report Abusive Post
How American News Media works - video at link! Must watch.

[link to mycatbirdseat.com]
Anonymous Coward (OP)
Egypt
02/12/2012 09:31 PM
Report Abusive Post
Most telling sentence...

..criticizing Israel in public will cost a journalist his career. She says that it’s far less damaging for an American journalist to write critically of the United State government than of Israel.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
Egypt
02/13/2012 12:25 PM
Report Abusive Post
bump for more people to see this...especially the Lizzie Phelan critics
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 10708306
United States
02/13/2012 12:35 PM
Report Abusive Post
Most telling sentence...

..criticizing Israel in public will cost a journalist his career. She says that it’s far less damaging for an American journalist to write critically of the United State government than of Israel.

bump

Thou shalt not bite the hand that owns your employer.
The Watchman777

User ID: 10676846
Ireland
02/13/2012 12:37 PM
Report Abusive Post
I think the Americans should take back control of the Media , it is one of the greatest threats to their sovereignty right now imho .
The Watchman777

"O son of man, I HAVE SET THEE A WATCHMAN unto the house of Israel; therefore thou shalt hear the word at my mouth, and warn them from me... IF THOU DOST NOT SPEAK TO WARN THE WICKED from his way, that wicked man shall die in his iniquity; but HIS BLOOD WILL I REQUIRE AT THINE HAND... IF THOU WARN THE WICKED of his way to turn from it; if he do not turn from his way, he shall die in his iniquity; but THOU HAST DELIVERED THY SOUL..." - Ezekiel 33:7-15
Anonymous Coward (OP)
Egypt
02/13/2012 01:10 PM
Report Abusive Post
I think the Americans should take back control of the Media , it is one of the greatest threats to their sovereignty right now imho .
 Quoting: The Watchman777

agreed
Anonymous Coward (OP)
Egypt
02/13/2012 02:23 PM
Report Abusive Post
 Quoting: The Watchman777

agreed

To add, not only America has this problem though.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
Egypt
02/13/2012 06:38 PM
Report Abusive Post
bump
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 10882052
Egypt
02/17/2012 05:16 PM
Report Abusive Post
bump
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 10227313
United Kingdom
02/19/2012 04:46 PM
Report Abusive Post
Pathetic world we live in.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 10955299
Belgium
02/19/2012 04:59 PM
Report Abusive Post

I hope everybody watches this video - very amusing.

I love George Galloway!

GLP