Godlike Productions - Discussion Forum
Users Online Now: 1,752 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 563,899
Pageviews Today: 937,600Threads Today: 286Posts Today: 5,323
09:46 AM

Rate this Thread

Absolute BS Crap Reasonable Nice Amazing

The monsters wakes up ! Katla Hekla Iceland Dead Zone and rift as uniform system ! A lot of others worldwide !

Tramp
Offer Upgrade

User ID: 10893223
Turkey
02/18/2012 06:04 AM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
The monsters wakes up ! Katla Hekla Iceland Dead Zone and rift as uniform system ! A lot of others worldwide !
[link to live.mila.is]

5 minutes ago
[link to i43.tinypic.com]

Last Edited by Tramp on 03/06/2012 01:55 PM
Tramp
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 11017937
Portugal
02/18/2012 06:28 AM
Report Abusive Post
Re: The monsters wakes up ! Katla Hekla Iceland Dead Zone and rift as uniform system ! A lot of others worldwide !
only clouds...
soulsurvivor

User ID: 10628182
United States
02/18/2012 07:04 AM
Report Abusive Post
Re: The monsters wakes up ! Katla Hekla Iceland Dead Zone and rift as uniform system ! A lot of others worldwide !
When I see an upward spiral of smoke/cloud then I get interested. This looks as though it's a cloud, not an eruption. Another view from a different webcam:
[link to www.ruv.is]
Also another webcam for katla:
[link to www.ruv.is]

But thanks for the reminder to check the Iceland webcams.
Tramp  (OP)

Turkey
02/18/2012 08:20 AM
Report Abusive Post
only clouds...
 Quoting: Luisport

Now at it so, but look again more attentively at an initial picture
the sky is crystal clear so is inclined to think that small short-term emission of ashes all the same was.

When I see an upward spiral of smoke/cloud then I get interested. This looks as though it's a cloud, not an eruption. Another view from a different webcam:
[link to www.ruv.is]
Also another webcam for katla:
[link to www.ruv.is]

But thanks for the reminder to check the Iceland webcams.
 Quoting: soulsurvivor

Thanks you! Unfortunately 1st link now -too shiny, 2nd not working for me(

In the meantime obviously unusual tremor activity is registered all stations round Katla
[link to hraun.vedur.is]
[link to hraun.vedur.is]
[link to hraun.vedur.is]
[link to hraun.vedur.is]

(last link - greetings Surtsey!)

And a lot quakes
[link to en.vedur.is]
including shallow
Tramp
Tramp  (OP)

Turkey
02/18/2012 12:04 PM
Report Abusive Post
More quakes in Katla region

[link to en.vedur.is]

And an impressing tremor
nearby

[link to hraun.vedur.is]
Tramp
Tramp  (OP)

Turkey
02/18/2012 12:49 PM
Report Abusive Post
Discussion round behavior of all Iceland Dead Zone as a whole in Volcanocafe
[link to volcanocafe.wordpress.com]

GeoLoco says:
February 18, 2012 at 17:36
Wasn’t 1814/15 the year without a summer? Origin from another beast…
Only a detail.
Great update on the situation. Faster than any press could be.
Journalists: seriously, there’s time before to panic…

Carl le Strange says:
February 18, 2012 at 17:36
As far as I know nothing like this has ever been recorded.
Even if it is most likely to small to become anything at this stage, it is enough to make me jump… The Dead Zone, never has activity like this, never!
Tramp
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 11029056
United Kingdom
02/18/2012 12:59 PM
Report Abusive Post
something's going on.

[link to hraun.vedur.is]

[link to hraun.vedur.is]

[link to hraun.vedur.is]

[link to hraun.vedur.is]

^^that's the one OP posted.

all these charts are around katla. that one above seems to be displaying strong harmonics, and the others are plunging.
Anonymous Coward
United Kingdom
02/18/2012 01:02 PM
Report Abusive Post
something's going on.

[link to hraun.vedur.is]

[link to hraun.vedur.is]

[link to hraun.vedur.is]

[link to hraun.vedur.is]

^^that's the one OP posted.

all these charts are around katla. that one above seems to be displaying strong harmonics, and the others are plunging.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 11029056

[link to hraun.vedur.is]

that's an interesting chart. look at those small spikes.
Tramp  (OP)

Turkey
02/18/2012 01:25 PM
Report Abusive Post
Yesterday in thread "Volcano Activity UPDATE !!! Tungurahua Volcano Eruption!!! Santorini, El Hierro, Tinakula and Cleveland Volcano Update!!! HEKLA WHATCH OUT!!!"

Iceland. Activity near Krafla-Askja
[link to hraun.vedur.is]

More about Krafla:

It contains a 10 x 8 km caldera.
In 1724, Krafla began an eruption that lasted for five years. This eruption was called "The Myvatn Fires." It was named for the nearby area of Myvatn, which is a rich farming district and very well populated. During this eruption, lava flowed from a ~7 mile (11 km) long fissure until it reached ~12.5 miles (20 km) in length after one year
[link to volcano.oregonstate.edu]
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 10893223

Hmm. In Volcanocafe today

firstly:

"Please dear all, it is still far from any possible eruption in the area. At most this is a signal of what can come, nothing more.

CARL"

But then, few hours later:

"Sam says:
February 18, 2012 at 17:57
Hi Carl and Others, Just a question:

How much activity i.e: Harmonic Tremoring, Earthquakes etc… Would be required before we should worry?
Carl le Strange says:
February 18, 2012 at 17:58
Probably more than this.
But since this is unchartered territory nobody really knows how much “more than this” is required. In a way anything new is a bit worrying"

Last Edited by Tramp on 02/18/2012 01:31 PM
Tramp
Anonymous Coward (OP)
Turkey
02/18/2012 01:41 PM
Report Abusive Post
[link to static.businessinsider.com]

A lot quakes along a chain of volcanoes and very big fissures, it disturbs

[link to en.vedur.is]
Tramp  (OP)

Turkey
02/18/2012 03:17 PM
Report Abusive Post
Volcanocafe
"Carlos says:
February 18, 2012 at 18:57
Carl le Strange says:
February 18, 2012 at 17:58
Probably more than this.
But since this is unchartered territory nobody really knows how much “more than this” is required"

Looks threateningly: continues to grow:
[link to hraun.vedur.is]
Tramp
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 11037834
Portugal
02/18/2012 03:36 PM
Report Abusive Post
Yes my friend this is unchartered territory... if this happens the world will suffer the real pains of birth!
Anonymous Coward
United Kingdom
02/18/2012 03:45 PM
Report Abusive Post
without a doubt. you won't get many responses, because people are all katla'd out, but when they realise the full implications of what may happen here, the interest will perk up.

while we still have internet, that is.

this island SCARES THE SHIT out of me, tbph! I think it has the potential to destroy the UK, and North west europe.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 11037834
Portugal
02/18/2012 03:48 PM
Report Abusive Post
without a doubt. you won't get many responses, because people are all katla'd out, but when they realise the full implications of what may happen here, the interest will perk up.

this island SCARES THE SHIT out of me, tbph! I think it has the potential to destroy the UK, and North west europe.

and US and Canada too!
Tramp  (OP)

Turkey
02/18/2012 04:17 PM
Report Abusive Post

and US and Canada too!
 Quoting: Luisport

It is valid so, consequences can threaten the whole world. And the most important thing - them can't be estimated and predicted to the full in advance.

And very interesting post from volcanocafe
"GeoLurking says:
February 18, 2012 at 20:12
Crap… stuck them on the wrong post.

Here are my plots.

Last seven days in relation to the quakes back to 1995

[link to i39.tinypic.com]

Estimated sequence of the quakes that are out wandering around in the fissure swarm.

And a profile view oriented to look at an angle of 45°, showing the vertical orientation of the quakes.
The shallow red cluster are in the Katla vicinity.

[link to i39.tinypic.com] "

Good job.
I can add, look at his charts:
all quakes for last 7 days are in limits of zones of known seismic activity for 1995 - 2011 years.
Tramp
Tramp  (OP)

Turkey
02/19/2012 05:46 PM
Report Abusive Post
Numerous observers are running from Katla to Bardarbunga and back ))
Also have absolutely forgotten thus about Hekla
[link to hraun.vedur.is]
[link to hraun.vedur.is]
Tramp
Anonymous Coward (OP)
Turkey
02/20/2012 05:28 AM
Report Abusive Post
Beautiful morning picture of Hekla
[link to www.heklubyggd.is]

Still strong harmonic tremor
[link to hraun.vedur.is]

and 3 new quakes to the east of
[link to hraun.vedur.is]

In the morning while the sky was pure and it hasn't clouded clouds something was visible very similar to a smoke here
[link to live.mila.is]
alexisj9

User ID: 1376880
United Kingdom
02/20/2012 05:31 AM
Report Abusive Post
 Quoting: Tramp

All I can see is it's winter in Iceland and there is not enough snow around.
alexisj9

United Kingdom
02/20/2012 05:42 AM
Report Abusive Post
Numerous observers are running from Katla to Bardarbunga and back ))
Also have absolutely forgotten thus about Hekla
[link to hraun.vedur.is]
[link to hraun.vedur.is]

I would personally stay well clear of all 3 at the minute. But I'm sure things will calm down again, or hope so at least.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1427499
Iceland
02/20/2012 06:20 AM
Report Abusive Post
Nothing to see here, move along...
:)

Seriously, though; the weather here changes drastically on average every half-hour, with the recent changes in the weather pattern (post gulf-oil bleah bleah), things have become less drastic, but otherwise, unless the red glowing stuff is at your doorstep, there's no reason to panic...

At the moment we're swinging from ice-covered winter to early summer-type surroundings, backa nd forth, for the past month it's been crazy; but we jave seen worse in living memory...

cheers for keeping an eye out :)
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 11141745
Portugal
02/20/2012 06:28 AM
Report Abusive Post

Seriously, though; the weather here changes drastically on average every half-hour, with the recent changes in the weather pattern (post gulf-oil bleah bleah), things have become less drastic, but otherwise, unless the red glowing stuff is at your doorstep, there's no reason to panic...

At the moment we're swinging from ice-covered winter to early summer-type surroundings, backa nd forth, for the past month it's been crazy; but we jave seen worse in living memory...

Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1427499

Ok i'm happy with that, but my dear icelander friend, as you know things can chage very fast to iceland volcanos, and this activity in Dead zone it's not a good sign... stay safe!
Anonymous Coward (OP)
Turkey
02/20/2012 06:29 AM
Report Abusive Post

Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1427499

I always said that the people in a literal sense living on volcanoes is a special breed, heroic people and that they were excited with something, something is necessary really fasntastic extraordinary :)))
Tramp  (OP)

Turkey
02/20/2012 08:35 AM
Report Abusive Post
About Hekla tremor [link to hraun.vedur.is]
"Carl le Strange says:
February 20, 2012 at 10:18
There is no tremor at Mjoaskard.
I wrote a short note on it yesterday in the comments.
Those are microceisms that happen between 2 and 10 minutes apart. And because of every stapel on the plot (1 pixel wide) is 28m 48s in time, you get several microseisms in one stapel (stäbchen). That makes it look like tremor, but it is not. The actual tremor level on the plot is quite low really.

These microseisms are a bit odd. I do not know if they are icequakes or popcorn. That is impossible to tell since I do not have depth.

SNB also is having microceisms (most likely frost quakes), not harmonic tremoring.

And for those wondering, yes, I do see the microceisms one at a time."

Hmm. Means, it not a tremor - but that this such ideas aren't present.
Let's look that further with it will be.
Tramp
Tramp  (OP)

Turkey
02/20/2012 05:23 PM
Report Abusive Post
Important update concerning are Hekla and Katla data "harmonic tremor' or no:

"islander says:
February 20, 2012 at 21:49
Totally disagree on “Ice-Quakes” this time or ANY OTHER TIME. Prepared bet my Húfa on that. There are many “skriðjöklar” (crawling-glaciers) on edges on all the Icelandic Glaciers, but strange (looking at many EQ charts) they (EQ´s) do not (regularily) appear where they (skriðjöklar) are! But people also often forget Icelandic Glaciers are NOT like the Glaciers in Greenland. Here they are with much lower density(?), not compact, more like compacted snow (grainy?) and have high wather content (Icelandic term is “Þíðjökull” against, near solid frosen ones in Greenland – Most of the time – but there is lots of water in Greeland Glaciers in summer season – even creating lakes in shallows, large enough for Catalina flying-boats to land on! It was done during WW-2.

No glacier(s) around Hekla for example. We have Glaciers at Tindfjöll, Torfajökull, Myrdalsjökull and Eyjafjallajökull.

Microseism ok. Problably due magma on (lateral?) move I think, rather than rising. Maybe its in more than one location, or alternatively flowing both east and north, from Katla, or some flowing away from Hekla?. Maybe Katla (and Hekla) is simply “full” and as “roof” does not “give way” it probably flows laterally thrugh old faults or channels."

IMO Islander it is closer to true.

Last Edited by Tramp on 02/20/2012 05:24 PM
Tramp
Tramp  (OP)

Turkey
02/21/2012 01:42 AM
Report Abusive Post
Very interesting investigation made by GeoLurking from Volcanocafe

"We can find dates of 871, 932, 1480, 1783, 1862. Calculating the repose intervals, there is an average of 247.75 years between events… but that is only four intervals and is statistically dubious at best. (it means that there is a lot of room for error)

However, it does also indicate that about 4.6 meters of crust expansion had occurred when the events happened. (low – 1.15 meters, high 10.3 meters), provided that my 18.8 mm/y. rate is valid that many years into the past… and it’s based on data from 2004 to the present. (pretty short sample period)

Anyway, that’s my take on it.

Right now we are at 2.8 meters of expansion since Trollagigar, 4.3 meters since Laki."
Tramp
Tramp  (OP)

Turkey
02/21/2012 04:37 AM
Report Abusive Post
[link to hisz.rsoe.hu]

"Volcanic tremor (a low frequency vibration often caused by magma rising to the surface) has been observed under Katla volcano in southern Iceland, Jón Frímann reports on his Iceland volcanoes blo, closely following seismic activity in Iceland recorded both by national instruments and his own private geophone network. According to Jón, there are 2 possible explanations: one could simply be an increase in hydrothermal activity in the northern part of Katla volcano. The second could be magma movements at depth although there have been no significant earthquakes that usually would accompany an intrusion or small (sub-glacial) eruption, although this still could occur in the near future as often observed in the past during similar episodes of tremor followed by earthquakes. The last minor eruption at Katla volcano was on 6 September 2011, and caused a small glacial flood"
Tramp
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 11198686
Russia
02/21/2012 04:56 AM
Report Abusive Post
Katla tremor down, Hekla tremor up

[link to www.simnet.is]

[link to www.simnet.is]
Anonymous Coward
Russia
02/21/2012 05:56 AM
Report Abusive Post
Last quakes in Katla region

[link to en.vedur.is]

and in Askja - Bardarbunga - Kverkfjoll region

[link to en.vedur.is]
Anonymous Coward
Russia
02/21/2012 07:24 AM
Report Abusive Post
Wow! Fantastic landscapes of Hekla now

IMAGE ( [link to i43.tinypic.com] )

IMAGE ( [link to i40.tinypic.com] )

Sources
[link to www.heklubyggd.is]
[link to live.mila.is]
alexisj9

United Kingdom
02/21/2012 03:46 PM
Report Abusive Post
Important update concerning are Hekla and Katla data "harmonic tremor' or no:

"islander says:
February 20, 2012 at 21:49
Totally disagree on “Ice-Quakes” this time or ANY OTHER TIME. Prepared bet my Húfa on that. There are many “skriðjöklar” (crawling-glaciers) on edges on all the Icelandic Glaciers, but strange (looking at many EQ charts) they (EQ´s) do not (regularily) appear where they (skriðjöklar) are! But people also often forget Icelandic Glaciers are NOT like the Glaciers in Greenland. Here they are with much lower density(?), not compact, more like compacted snow (grainy?) and have high wather content (Icelandic term is “Þíðjökull” against, near solid frosen ones in Greenland – Most of the time – but there is lots of water in Greeland Glaciers in summer season – even creating lakes in shallows, large enough for Catalina flying-boats to land on! It was done during WW-2.

No glacier(s) around Hekla for example. We have Glaciers at Tindfjöll, Torfajökull, Myrdalsjökull and Eyjafjallajökull.

Microseism ok. Problably due magma on (lateral?) move I think, rather than rising. Maybe its in more than one location, or alternatively flowing both east and north, from Katla, or some flowing away from Hekla?. Maybe Katla (and Hekla) is simply “full” and as “roof” does not “give way” it probably flows laterally thrugh old faults or channels."

IMO Islander it is closer to true.

That doesn't sound like good news to me. Moving laterally through old faults or channels. That could lead to fisure type eruptions. They don't know whats going on but lets hope they are wrong about this.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 11098011
United Kingdom
02/21/2012 04:04 PM
Report Abusive Post
Katla tremor down, Hekla tremor up

[link to www.simnet.is]

[link to www.simnet.is]
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 11198686

tremor might be down, but i THINK i am seeing something disturbing. long period events.

look at this chart of when Pinatubo went in 91..

[link to www.mnh.si.edu]

now, can you see anything like that on Jon's Katla chart?

[link to www.simnet.is]

GLP