User ID: 10980944
United States
02/19/2012 01:44 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: FDA Approves ‘Laser Dazzler’ for Use by Law Enforcement
Blindness (and blind spots) will occur,
And will be blamed on the victims.

You cannot tone down a laser to where it won't blind you.
They are banking on people looking away immediately.

People don't really respond that way in reality.

Also looking forward to the triggered convulsions in a portion of the population.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1469248
United States
02/19/2012 01:49 PM
Report Abusive Post
chuckle
and why the FUCK does the FDA get to approve a laser.. LOL
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 9653504

Because YOU'RE AN EXTREMIST!!!!!!

Him! Right There!!!

I saw him pay with *cash* officer!!
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 11086453
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 10563046
United States
02/19/2012 01:50 PM
Report Abusive Post
Don't catch them with your daughter, wife or girlfriend, they'll muder ya
what?
User ID: 7111119
United States
02/19/2012 01:50 PM
Report Abusive Post
What does the Food and Drug Administration need to approved a weapon? A weapon is neither a food, nor a drug. WTF am I missing here?
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 2334936

Perhaps they forgot to mention potential permanent blindness could result?

"Not all injuries are minor, however. The researcher recounted the story of a soldier he interviewed after an incident in Iraq a few years ago. While on duty, the soldier fumbled a dazzler he was trying to point at an oncoming vehicle a safe distance away. “He was in an awkward position and illuminated a rearview mirror in such a way that he got a beam directly back into the eye.” The beam had gone less than 6 metres when it hit the soldier in the centre of vision of his right eye, burning the retina and leaving his vision in that eye permanently damaged."
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 11086453
United States
02/19/2012 01:55 PM
Report Abusive Post
Don't catch them with your daughter, wife or girlfriend, they'll muder ya
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 10563046

"The defendant could not have seen me raping his daughter, your Honor, because he's blind."

"Objection! The officer blinded my client with a laser after he was caught raping my client's daughter!"

"Over-ruled."
Anonymous Coward
United States
02/19/2012 01:56 PM
Report Abusive Post
Homemade DVD Burner Laser

Quoting: Laser20 11098620

That kid is *so* on a no-fly list now...
Burt Gummer

User ID: 7702124
United States
02/19/2012 02:02 PM
Report Abusive Post
[link to www.theblaze.com]

Last month, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved a non-lethal weapon — once reserved only for the military — as a new tool for local law enforcement and the U.S. Coast Guard.
FDA Approves Laser Dazzler for Local Law Enforcement

GLARE Enforcer laser dazzler.

New Scientist reports that at the SHOT show in January, a conference for professionals involved with sport shooting, hunting and law enforcement, the 200-milliwatt GLARE Enforcer was unveiled by B.E. Meyers Electro-Optics as the first laser dazzler available for domestic use.

Laser dazzlers work by temporarily blinding a subject using a green laser with no risk of killing the person, unlike the risk associated with tasers and guns outfitted with rubber bullets. But according to New Scientist, there is still risk involved that has some questioning if they should actually be used, even with FDA approval.
 Quoting: Walking the Walk 11021065

I see a fortune being made by lawyers suing cops on behalf of those who are permanently blinded or have damaged retinas.

Furthermore....how in the HELL does the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) have ANY jurisdiction over these types of weapons and related technology. wtf

spock

Last Edited by Useless Cookie Eater on 02/19/2012 02:04 PM
Project_Deimos

User ID: 999284
United States
02/19/2012 02:06 PM
Report Abusive Post
So this shit is CLASS 3B ?!?!? 200mW????

[link to www.bemeyers.com]

What the FUCK. Now we can be either have our retinas burned, tazed into a coma, or pepper-sprayed into convulsions.

picardface

Last Edited by Project_Deimos on 02/19/2012 02:07 PM
"There are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say, we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know."
Anonymous Coward
United States
02/19/2012 02:09 PM
Report Abusive Post
So this shit is CLASS 3B ?!?!? 200mW????

[link to www.bemeyers.com]

What the FUCK. Now we can be either have our retinas burned, tazed into a coma, or pepper-sprayed into convulsions.

:picardface:
 Quoting: Project_Deimos

Don't forget we have the honor of paying for our own blinding, tazing, and peppering through extortion ie income tax.
Anonymous Coward
United States
02/19/2012 02:10 PM
Report Abusive Post
I see a fortune being made by lawyers suing cops on behalf of those who are permanently blinded or have damaged retinas.

Furthermore....how in the HELL does the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) have ANY jurisdiction over these types of weapons and related technology. wtf

spock
 Quoting: Burt Gummer

The FDA has authority because YOU ARE A RIGHT-WING EXTREMIST WHO SUPPORTS THE SECOND AMENDMENT!!! YOU QUESTION TAXATION AND LEGALIZED ABORTION AS WELL!!! THAT'S WHY!!!!
GUARDS!!!!!!!!!!
Project_Deimos

User ID: 999284
United States
02/19/2012 02:12 PM
Report Abusive Post

Last month, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved a non-lethal weapon — once reserved only for the military — as a new tool for local law enforcement and the U.S. Coast Guard.

New Scientist reports that at the SHOT show in January, a conference for professionals involved with sport shooting, hunting and law enforcement, the 200-milliwatt GLARE Enforcer was unveiled by B.E. Meyers Electro-Optics as the first laser dazzler available for domestic use.

Laser dazzlers work by temporarily blinding a subject using a green laser with no risk of killing the person, unlike the risk associated with tasers and guns outfitted with rubber bullets. But according to New Scientist, there is still risk involved that has some questioning if they should actually be used, even with FDA approval.

spock

Manufacturers have "exemptions" from the FDA to sell these types of laser systems, however ONLY to .mil, .gov, or leo. Good luck buying one as a civilian. You can buy the components to build one yourself, but you can not sell it.

This laser outputs enough power to severely damage the retina, even when "modulated" (pulsed). Not to mention the effects of viewing the dazzler through magnified optics.

As a civilian, this means laser protective glasses or filters on spotting scopes or binoculars should be considered...but you'll love this part - most laser filters ARE ALSO RESTRICTED ITEMS!

Cute huh?

Last Edited by Project_Deimos on 02/19/2012 02:13 PM
"There are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say, we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know."
saved

User ID: 10975084
United States
02/19/2012 02:32 PM
Report Abusive Post
Drones in our skies
Lasers in our eyes
Illegitimate government
Doesn't hear our cries

dance

bump Nice, but you know they hear them. But are laughing behind our backs.
Come And Take It!
ScrumpTheTexanModerator
Forum Administrator

User ID: 2691183
United States
02/19/2012 02:33 PM

Report Abusive Post

<=== Wants one.

:D
I am a Christian.

Christian does not equal doormat or pushover

"I Have Sworn upon the Altar of God... Eternal Hostility against every form of Tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson, Sep. 23, 1800

MedinaD

The Election of Donald John Trump: [link to www.godlikeproductions.com]

For previous Newsletters, click 'Scrump's News Letters' @ [link to www.godlikeproductions.com]
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 11055274
United States
02/19/2012 02:35 PM
Report Abusive Post
are these the edible kind?
Anonymous Coward
United States
02/19/2012 02:48 PM
Report Abusive Post

<=== Wants one.

Quoting: ScrumpTheTexan

Dude, I totally *do* own one.

1 watt baby. Burns wood, melts plastic, blinds evil doers.

superman
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 11080742
United States
02/19/2012 02:50 PM
Report Abusive Post
why? cause they keep killing people with tasers lol. if law enforcement was militarized they would get bradleys not non lethal lasers
Anonymous Coward
United States
02/19/2012 02:50 PM
Report Abusive Post

spock

Manufacturers have "exemptions" from the FDA to sell these types of laser systems, however ONLY to .mil, .gov, or leo. Good luck buying one as a civilian. You can buy the components to build one yourself, but you can not sell it.

This laser outputs enough power to severely damage the retina, even when "modulated" (pulsed). Not to mention the effects of viewing the dazzler through magnified optics.

As a civilian, this means laser protective glasses or filters on spotting scopes or binoculars should be considered...but you'll love this part - most laser filters ARE ALSO RESTRICTED ITEMS!

Cute huh?

^ Exactly correct ^

I started gearing up to (you'll love this) start America's first civilian laser weapons company. I still have my prototype laser pistols. And then the fucking FDA says *bang*, you no makey laser guns, crazy right-wing mad scientist.

Bastards.
Anonymous Coward
United States
02/19/2012 02:51 PM
Report Abusive Post
are these the edible kind?
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 11055274

I'm sure there's a scene of a cop telling you to "suck it" in your future, does that count as edible?
Anonymous Coward
United States
02/19/2012 02:52 PM
Report Abusive Post
Drones in our skies
Lasers in our eyes
Illegitimate government
Doesn't hear our cries

dance

bump Nice, but you know they hear them. But are laughing behind our backs.
 Quoting: saved

^ So true ^

That's why the Tea Party rallies achieved nothing.

The Stalinists in charge only respect lethal force.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 7463454
Canada
02/19/2012 02:54 PM
Report Abusive Post
Why?

Because the civilian law enforcement mechanism is being militarized pronto.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 11021065

why, for control of the sheeple of course
ScrumpTheTexanModerator
Forum Administrator

United States
02/19/2012 02:54 PM

Report Abusive Post

<=== Wants one.

superman

Change *do* to *did* now to save time...

Remember, I'll be seeing you in the not-too-distant future.

charlie
I am a Christian.

"I Have Sworn upon the Altar of God... Eternal Hostility against every form of Tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson, Sep. 23, 1800

MedinaD

For previous Newsletters, click 'Scrump's News Letters' @ [link to www.godlikeproductions.com]
Burt Gummer

United States
02/19/2012 02:55 PM
Report Abusive Post

spock

The FDA has authority because YOU ARE A RIGHT-WING EXTREMIST WHO SUPPORTS THE SECOND AMENDMENT!!! YOU QUESTION TAXATION AND LEGALIZED ABORTION AS WELL!!! THAT'S WHY!!!!
GUARDS!!!!!!!!!!

I forgot...thanks for the reminder.

FACISTS and POLICE STATE GOOD.....FREEDOM and LIBERTY BAD.
Got it.

Thanks. gaah
Burt Gummer

United States
02/19/2012 02:57 PM
Report Abusive Post

spock

Cute huh?

^ Exactly correct ^

I started gearing up to (you'll love this) start America's first civilian laser weapons company. I still have my prototype laser pistols. And then the fucking FDA says *bang*, you no makey laser guns, crazy right-wing mad scientist.

Bastards.

I will simply say this........

FOOD and DRUG ADMINISTRATION.

Anything in there about fricken lasers???

drevil
Anonymous Coward
United States
02/19/2012 02:57 PM
Report Abusive Post

<=== Wants one.

superman

charlie

I'll get you one, if I still can.

You don't know what being a man feels like until you carry an honest-to-goodness light sabre with you around downtown Austin, just *hoping* some low life will fuck with you, and give you a chance to light his eyelids on fire in front of his friends.
ScrumpTheTexanModerator
Forum Administrator

United States
02/19/2012 03:04 PM

Report Abusive Post

<=== Wants one.

superman

charlie

You don't know what being a man feels like until you carry an honest-to-goodness light sabre with you around downtown Austin, just *hoping* some low life will fuck with you, and give you a chance to light his eyelids on fire in front of his friends.

Awesome!

I'll paint myself green, don a tunic, & speak in reverse while hobbling down 6th Street for the test run!

yoda
I am a Christian.

MedinaD

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 11088202
Italy
02/19/2012 03:07 PM
Report Abusive Post
sometimes I doubt your commitment to Laser Dazzler.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1178982
United States
02/19/2012 03:12 PM
Report Abusive Post
Even the odds

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1178982
United States
02/19/2012 03:12 PM
Report Abusive Post
[link to www.youtube.com]
Anonymous Coward
United States
02/19/2012 03:27 PM
Report Abusive Post

superman

charlie

Awesome!

I'll paint myself green, don a tunic, & speak in reverse while hobbling down 6th Street for the test run!

yoda

And I'll walk a significant distance from you, pretending to be too embarrassed to admit we're friends.

hf

GLP