Godlike Productions - Discussion Forum
Users Online Now: 1,235 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 369,450
Pageviews Today: 487,757Threads Today: 154Posts Today: 2,130
04:16 AM

Rate this Thread

Absolute BS Crap Reasonable Nice Amazing

I am a whistleblower. OSHA is mishandling my case because it's Gulf oil spill related

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 5529768
United States
02/19/2012 04:14 AM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: I am a whistleblower. OSHA is mishandling my case because it's Gulf oil spill related
In March of 2009 my aunt and I took jobs as housekeepers/condo cleaners for Meyer Real Estate in Gulf Shores, Alabama, one of the largest vacation property management companies in the United States. We had no experience in housekeeping. Prior to this, we had a vintage clothing business for many years which we had to close because we were no longer making a profit due to the economy. We both have college educations and my aunt has 20+ years experience in retail management, but this was the only job we could find. We took the jobs out of desperation...and because we were told in our orientation that we would make at least $16-18 dollars an hour.

Over the course of the next year, we would scrub 3,100 toilets, make approximately 6,000 beds and scrape dried spaghetti and shrimp shells from 1,200 kitchens. Most of the time we made less than minimum wage, sometimes working over 80 hours a week. Meyer also subjected their housekeepers to safety hazards. But we were warned by everyone there, including a field supervisor, to keep our mouths shut and not complain, or we would be fired.

In the early spring of 2010, we made a startling discovery- management was fraudulently altering time records to avoid paying overtime. We called the Wage and Hour Board and reported this, but rather than forcing them to pay their employees the money owed, Mr.Anthony Jacobs of the W&H Board's Mobile, AL office helped them devise a scheme to avoid paying their employees overtime wages. Meyer did, however, write checks for some of the overtime backpay- this multi-million dollar company cheated one housekeeper(a woman with a disabled child in a wheelchair) out of over $50,000 in overtime wages over a three-year period...they gave her a check for less than $500. But this was just the beginning.

April 20, 2010- the date of the Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill- changed everything here on the Gulf of Mexico. I won't go on and on about it...you all know the basic, sanitized version of what happened. What you may or may not know is that over 200 million gallons of oil was released into the Gulf. 2 million gallons of highly toxic Corexit dispersant was sprayed and sank most of that oil. We had dead baby dolphins covered in oil washing up on the shore here, but that managed to stay out of the national media. The citizens of this area and those doing clean up work were exposed to these toxins...people have died, and many are sick.

While many of the oil spill clean-up workers had advocates fighting for their safety and rights, there was one group which was neglected- the housekeepers who cleaned up the condominiums and beach front houses. As housekeepers for Meyer Real Estate, we were forced to clean up oil and dispersant soaked debris from around these beach houses. We had to clean up the tar balls the guests would drag in. We were instructed to clean it up with Dawn and bleach(according to the MSDS for Corexit on OSHA's website, it is hazardous to mix Corexit and bleach). We also had to clean the rust-colored Corexit residue on the exterior patio doors. Housekeepers started having upper respiratory problems, including my aunt. Both of my ear got infected(this was fairly common symptom) and one of them ruptured. But as Meyer housekeepers, we didn't have health insurance, and most of us went without medical treatment.

I called OSHA in late August of 2010 and filed a complaint. I told the agent I was concerned I might get fired for making the report, but he was very reassuring and told me if that happened, they wouldn't get away with it. A few weeks later, My aunt and I were terminated from our jobs at Meyer Real Estate.

But now, over a year later, what has happened? NOTHING! The investigation for wrongful termination under the Whistleblower Protection Act is still ongoing. OSHA has mishandled it from day one and I just don't know what to do. I can't even find a lawyer around here because every one I call says they can't take the case because it would be a conflict of interest. Meyer is a powerful and corrupt company...everyone is scared of them.

So, I'm posting this just to get the word out, and because I'm hoping some of you might have advice on what I can do about this situation. Sorry for the rant...I know it's not very coherent or well-written, but I am so sick of thinking and talking about this that I can't think straight. So, thanks for taking the time to read it.
 Quoting: phrenology101

capitalism at its finest
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 9811080
Canada
02/19/2012 04:36 AM
Report Abusive Post
Re: I am a whistleblower. OSHA is mishandling my case because it's Gulf oil spill related
These people are the reason I chose to stop eating most seafood and I really REALLY loved being comfortable in sushi restaurants.

I have been waiting to open the can on this. If I disappear on GLP (don't know the opinion of an idea getting together here), please email me at [email protected]
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 9811080

thank you, ac;)

Hey you are still up? Sorry I figured I'd see response tomorrow.

Let me think of a plan tomorrow and then we will talk about the degree of publicity we are each willing to go to. It is a dangerous game to play.

i'm headed to bed now, but yes, we will talk tomorrow:) i will go as far as necessary...i have nothing to lose. dangerous games don't scare me...i play them all the time.

Sounds great. Have a nice sleep and am looking forward to speaking with you tomorrow.

These are professional dangerous games though. This kind of story is something that can only be told by someone who is at peace with death.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1408355
Australia
02/19/2012 04:51 AM
Report Abusive Post

thank you, ac;)

Hey you are still up? Sorry I figured I'd see response tomorrow.

Let me think of a plan tomorrow and then we will talk about the degree of publicity we are each willing to go to. It is a dangerous game to play.

i'm headed to bed now, but yes, we will talk tomorrow:) i will go as far as necessary...i have nothing to lose. dangerous games don't scare me...i play them all the time.

Sounds great. Have a nice sleep and am looking forward to speaking with you tomorrow.

These are professional dangerous games though. This kind of story is something that can only be told by someone who is at peace with death.

Thank you for offering some help to her.

hf
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 10555199
Australia
02/19/2012 05:01 AM
Report Abusive Post
lol no way wtf gulf oil spill hahahahaha
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 4594667
United States
02/19/2012 05:33 AM
Report Abusive Post
We need to identify every fucker that is a CEO or upper management of all corporations just like the mossad did with the nazi's.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1371780
United States
02/19/2012 05:43 AM
Report Abusive Post
Try finding a lawyer who will take your case for the overtime pay to the courts.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 11053237
United States
02/19/2012 06:09 AM
Report Abusive Post
what was different than any other spill where the cleanup workers all get sick and die?

you think your the first?

why did you not take other cleanup workers warning who have died in the past... only for you 2 apparently have hindsight and absolutely no foresight.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 8597527
United States
02/19/2012 07:03 AM
Report Abusive Post
April 20, 2010- the date of the Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill- changed everything here on the Gulf of Mexico.

bsflagbsflagbsflag

By all accounts, there is very little evidence that "the worst ecological disaster in U.S. History" even happened.

Does not pass the smell test.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 7991538
United States
02/19/2012 08:05 AM
Report Abusive Post
Contact Kerry Cassidy at project Camelot
grefey

User ID: 10770354
United States
02/19/2012 08:07 AM
Report Abusive Post
OP I feel for you and all the other affected by the GOM oil spill. I personally believe is was not an accident it was a very strange thing that happened. They knew where they were drilling and the dangers involved and yet the whole fiasco was a comedy of errors.

We must all face this fact our country has been infiltrated and overthrown by people who are operating it for their own self interests. There will be no help for any of us from our state and federal institutions they have been completely corrupted. This is not to say that there are not some good people still working their but their hands are tied.

Unfortunately, there are more, very bad and unfair things that are going to occur. I have always felt that it is "we the people" who must form small local groups, come together and help ourselves and one another. We will get no help from our corrupted government. Don't expect any help from them.

Even the charities are corrupted. When Katrina hit New Orleans I could not believe my eyes as to what was happening. I donated 2x to the Red Cross only to realize later that most of my money likely went to pay inflated salaries and not help the people.

NO IF WE ARE GOING TO CHANGE THIS COUNTRY IT HAS TO BE DONE FROM THE BOTTOM UP. I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO GET PEOPLE IN MY AREA TO COME TOGETHER BECAUSE i KNOW WHAT IS COMING. BUT MOST CAN'T SEE IT.

Last Edited by grefey on 02/19/2012 08:09 AM
grefey

United States
02/19/2012 08:10 AM
Report Abusive Post
April 20, 2010- the date of the Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill- changed everything here on the Gulf of Mexico.

bsflagbsflagbsflag

By all accounts, there is very little evidence that "the worst ecological disaster in U.S. History" even happened.

Quoting: Anonymous Coward 8597527

You took the blue pill, didn't you.
grefey

United States
02/19/2012 08:21 AM
Report Abusive Post
what was different than any other spill where the cleanup workers all get sick and die?

you think your the first?

why did you not take other cleanup workers warning who have died in the past... only for you 2 apparently have hindsight and absolutely no foresight.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 11053237

The people who worked on the Exon Valdez oil spill where corexit was used came done with all types of health problems(cancer, respiratory disease, etc.) and most died of these conditions before the age of 52 y.o. The entire town was decimated as there was no longer a way to earn a living. Incidents of disease, divorce, alcoholism, violence increased dramatically as a result of the oil spill.

The people of Alaska were awarded something like $5 billion from the courts. However, Exon appealed the settlement and to this date no money has been paid. In addition, the settlement amount has been reduced to about $.8 million but most of the people who were to receive it have already died.
Anonymous Coward
United States
02/19/2012 08:24 AM
Report Abusive Post

bsflagbsflagbsflag

Quoting: grefey

Nope, you took the blue pill, you just don't realize it.

I see a conspiracy much deeper.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 9928507
United States
02/19/2012 08:44 AM
Report Abusive Post
this isn't being a whistleblower
this is just posting on some forum
everyone will forget about this post within a day.

take it to the news homie.
Anonymous Coward
United States
02/19/2012 08:50 AM
Report Abusive Post
take it to the news homie.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 9928507

cruise
ceawaves

User ID: 11053264
Germany
02/19/2012 09:09 AM
Report Abusive Post
Would really like to know where that 20 billion all went.. it's always about the money..

Last Edited by ceawaves on 02/19/2012 11:12 AM
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1698956
United States
02/19/2012 09:16 AM
Report Abusive Post
My father worked on the clean up crew...Pensacola Beach. He died in April at 58.
A Muse Me

User ID: 1492096
United States
02/19/2012 09:47 AM
Report Abusive Post

The term derives from the Ancient Greek words, meta, meaning beyond or after, and noia, meaning perception or understanding or mind.
A Muse Me

United States
02/19/2012 09:48 AM
Report Abusive Post

The term derives from the Ancient Greek words, meta, meaning beyond or after, and noia, meaning perception or understanding or mind.
A Muse Me

United States
02/19/2012 09:49 AM
Report Abusive Post

A Muse Me

United States
02/19/2012 09:52 AM
Report Abusive Post

[link to www.facebook.com]
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1140065
United States
02/19/2012 10:13 AM
Report Abusive Post
well the question i would ask is, have you learned anything? how does it make you feel when money becomes god? right and wrong come down to a dollar figure/

just wait until china runs the world, that godless bunch will shot you if you cause a fuss and they will do it in front of everyone to prove a point.

what is worse than that, is our every leaders sold us out right in front of our faces. as long as they go to the big house at night and the summer get away's, all is well.

the funniest thing is, have one of these guys come riding up in a limo, the camera (media) crews are there and all the little people are wowing them, as if they are great or something. these guys are ruthless and the people love them?

same with the mafia shows, they get top rating, as if the people think it's cool to be murders and rapest.. i cant make heads or tails of this place.

what is good? what is bad? does anyone know? is money the bottom line?

WELL I SAY NO! JUSTICE IS FIXING TO RAISE IT'S PRETTY HEAD. the whole world will know. it's judgement day!

roll the stone away...

and these anti god folks, man it does not get any nuttier.

praise GOD, he is coming to town...soon

the big car, the house on the hill, even the bunker freaks, the elite will in-tomb themselves. let the games begin.

sorry to hear about your problems sir, hope the best for you. get on the right team now, while you still can. praying for you, yea i know, they will laugh at me, that's ok too...
 Quoting: chipg

have i learned anything? absolutely. scrubbing toilets for a living taught me humility. i know, however, the holy spirit placed me there for a reason. seeing the way a company like that could treat their employees...it's disgusting. money is the bottom line for most people here. the local government and big business owners sold their soul to the devil after hurricane ivan. gulf shores is now owned by russians.

Is this true? Gulf shores is owned by Russians???
grefey

United States
02/19/2012 10:38 AM
Report Abusive Post
My father worked on the clean up crew...Pensacola Beach. He died in April at 58.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1698956

hf
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 2688506
United States
02/19/2012 10:38 AM
Report Abusive Post
bsflag

putin
grefey

United States
02/19/2012 10:39 AM
Report Abusive Post

bsflagbsflagbsflag

And what is it pray tell? Where they trying to either cause or stop the New Madrid fault from going?

Last Edited by grefey on 02/19/2012 10:41 AM
A Muse Me

United States
02/19/2012 10:48 AM
Report Abusive Post

bsflagbsflagbsflag

And what is it pray tell? Where they trying to either cause or stop the New Madrid fault from going?

The blue pill is found in the wording of the ac’s post.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1444651
United States
02/19/2012 10:53 AM
Report Abusive Post

bsflagbsflagbsflag

Wouldn't it be the Army Corp of Engineers that would do that? Interesting thought though.
Anonymous Coward
United States
02/19/2012 11:15 AM
Report Abusive Post
In March of 2009 my aunt and I took jobs as housekeepers/condo cleaners for Meyer Real Estate in Gulf Shores, Alabama, one of the largest vacation property management companies in the United States. We had no experience in housekeeping. Prior to this, we had a vintage clothing business for many years which we had to close because we were no longer making a profit due to the economy. We both have college educations and my aunt has 20+ years experience in retail management, but this was the only job we could find. We took the jobs out of desperation...and because we were told in our orientation that we would make at least $16-18 dollars an hour.

Over the course of the next year, we would scrub 3,100 toilets, make approximately 6,000 beds and scrape dried spaghetti and shrimp shells from 1,200 kitchens. Most of the time we made less than minimum wage, sometimes working over 80 hours a week. Meyer also subjected their housekeepers to safety hazards. But we were warned by everyone there, including a field supervisor, to keep our mouths shut and not complain, or we would be fired.

In the early spring of 2010, we made a startling discovery- management was fraudulently altering time records to avoid paying overtime. We called the Wage and Hour Board and reported this, but rather than forcing them to pay their employees the money owed, Mr.Anthony Jacobs of the W&H Board's Mobile, AL office helped them devise a scheme to avoid paying their employees overtime wages. Meyer did, however, write checks for some of the overtime backpay- this multi-million dollar company cheated one housekeeper(a woman with a disabled child in a wheelchair) out of over $50,000 in overtime wages over a three-year period...they gave her a check for less than $500. But this was just the beginning.

April 20, 2010- the date of the Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill- changed everything here on the Gulf of Mexico. I won't go on and on about it...you all know the basic, sanitized version of what happened. What you may or may not know is that over 200 million gallons of oil was released into the Gulf. 2 million gallons of highly toxic Corexit dispersant was sprayed and sank most of that oil. We had dead baby dolphins covered in oil washing up on the shore here, but that managed to stay out of the national media. The citizens of this area and those doing clean up work were exposed to these toxins...people have died, and many are sick.

While many of the oil spill clean-up workers had advocates fighting for their safety and rights, there was one group which was neglected- the housekeepers who cleaned up the condominiums and beach front houses. As housekeepers for Meyer Real Estate, we were forced to clean up oil and dispersant soaked debris from around these beach houses. We had to clean up the tar balls the guests would drag in. We were instructed to clean it up with Dawn and bleach(according to the MSDS for Corexit on OSHA's website, it is hazardous to mix Corexit and bleach). We also had to clean the rust-colored Corexit residue on the exterior patio doors. Housekeepers started having upper respiratory problems, including my aunt. Both of my ear got infected(this was fairly common symptom) and one of them ruptured. But as Meyer housekeepers, we didn't have health insurance, and most of us went without medical treatment.

I called OSHA in late August of 2010 and filed a complaint. I told the agent I was concerned I might get fired for making the report, but he was very reassuring and told me if that happened, they wouldn't get away with it. A few weeks later, My aunt and I were terminated from our jobs at Meyer Real Estate.

But now, over a year later, what has happened? NOTHING! The investigation for wrongful termination under the Whistleblower Protection Act is still ongoing. OSHA has mishandled it from day one and I just don't know what to do. I can't even find a lawyer around here because every one I call says they can't take the case because it would be a conflict of interest. Meyer is a powerful and corrupt company...everyone is scared of them.

So, I'm posting this just to get the word out, and because I'm hoping some of you might have advice on what I can do about this situation. Sorry for the rant...I know it's not very coherent or well-written, but I am so sick of thinking and talking about this that I can't think straight. So, thanks for taking the time to read it.

I don't think they should get away with this, but I don't know how you are going to fight this. Have you tried the Better Business Bureau? I would. As far as the repurcussions from the BP oil spill, good luck with that one. There are too many powerful people behind the BP oil spill, but I would fight for my wages. If you think you have that much coming in compensation, higher a good lawyer. What have you got to lose?
Anonymous Coward
United States
02/19/2012 11:17 AM
Report Abusive Post
I found this interview from the BP oil spill.

[link to www.npr.org]
phrenology101  (OP)

User ID: 9130879
United States
02/19/2012 09:52 PM
Report Abusive Post
well the question i would ask is, have you learned anything? how does it make you feel when money becomes god? right and wrong come down to a dollar figure/

just wait until china runs the world, that godless bunch will shot you if you cause a fuss and they will do it in front of everyone to prove a point.

what is worse than that, is our every leaders sold us out right in front of our faces. as long as they go to the big house at night and the summer get away's, all is well.

the funniest thing is, have one of these guys come riding up in a limo, the camera (media) crews are there and all the little people are wowing them, as if they are great or something. these guys are ruthless and the people love them?

same with the mafia shows, they get top rating, as if the people think it's cool to be murders and rapest.. i cant make heads or tails of this place.

what is good? what is bad? does anyone know? is money the bottom line?

WELL I SAY NO! JUSTICE IS FIXING TO RAISE IT'S PRETTY HEAD. the whole world will know. it's judgement day!

roll the stone away...

and these anti god folks, man it does not get any nuttier.

praise GOD, he is coming to town...soon

the big car, the house on the hill, even the bunker freaks, the elite will in-tomb themselves. let the games begin.

sorry to hear about your problems sir, hope the best for you. get on the right team now, while you still can. praying for you, yea i know, they will laugh at me, that's ok too...
 Quoting: chipg

have i learned anything? absolutely. scrubbing toilets for a living taught me humility. i know, however, the holy spirit placed me there for a reason. seeing the way a company like that could treat their employees...it's disgusting. money is the bottom line for most people here. the local government and big business owners sold their soul to the devil after hurricane ivan. gulf shores is now owned by russians.

Is this true? Gulf shores is owned by Russians???
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1140065

yes, it is. here is a link to the alabama secretary of state's website. do a research on the four names listed as the owners of The Hangout. They own everything else in Gulf Shores and Orange Beach, as well. All those shitty Surf Style and Wings souvenir stores in Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, the Carolinas....they own all of those, too.
[link to arc-sos.state.al.us]
phrenology101

GLP