GOVERNOR WRONG TO HAVE FLAG LOWERED TO HALFSTAFF FOR CELEBRITIES

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 5485394
United States
02/19/2012 12:03 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
GOVERNOR WRONG TO HAVE FLAG LOWERED TO HALFSTAFF FOR CELEBRITIES
    NJLawman.com Police and Law Enforcement NewsThursday, February 16, 2012  10:16 a.m.  Yesterday, New Jersey Governor Chris Christie ordered all New Jersey State and American flags to be lowered to half staff on Saturday in honor of Entertainer Whitney Houston who passed away this week.Last year, the governor did the same for Clarence Clemmons, the saxophone player for the E Street Band.In January, Pennsylvania Governor Tom Corbett ordered the state flag to half staff for three days in honor of Penn State Football Coach Joe Paterno when he passed.We take great issue with this practice.Ms. Houston and Mr. Clemmons are both children of our great state and were both wildly successful.  Each has made a significant contribution to music, culture, and the arts, and both are deserving of many accolades. But just as an American serviceman killed in Helmand Province, Afghanistan is not deserving of a Grammy award, musicians and celebrities are not deserving of the lowering of the American flag.Simply, not everybody gets every honor.There are few gestures as symbolic and as loud as an entire state lowering their flags at the same moment for the same amount of time. Seeing a flag at the half staff position should spawn pause and thought. 

.This practice must stop.

[link to www.njlawman.com]
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
02/19/2012 12:10 PM
Report Abusive Post
Re: GOVERNOR WRONG TO HAVE FLAG LOWERED TO HALFSTAFF FOR CELEBRITIES
Dont get me wrong i support just about everything he gas done exceo this
Ohwow!

User ID: 10848557
United States
02/19/2012 12:11 PM
Report Abusive Post
I had no idea this practice was going on. I live in a small community. Our flag at halfstaff is is a serious issue. A government leader, a fallen local fireman, policeman, in the line of duty.

Nope, not hollowood entertainers.
humanitech
User ID: 10976473
United Kingdom
02/19/2012 12:16 PM
Report Abusive Post
    NJLawman.com Police and Law Enforcement NewsThursday, February 16, 2012  10:16 a.m.  Yesterday, New Jersey Governor Chris Christie ordered all New Jersey State and American flags to be lowered to half staff on Saturday in honor of Entertainer Whitney Houston who passed away this week.Last year, the governor did the same for Clarence Clemmons, the saxophone player for the E Street Band.In January, Pennsylvania Governor Tom Corbett ordered the state flag to half staff for three days in honor of Penn State Football Coach Joe Paterno when he passed.We take great issue with this practice.Ms. Houston and Mr. Clemmons are both children of our great state and were both wildly successful.  Each has made a significant contribution to music, culture, and the arts, and both are deserving of many accolades. But just as an American serviceman killed in Helmand Province, Afghanistan is not deserving of a Grammy award, musicians and celebrities are not deserving of the lowering of the American flag.Simply, not everybody gets every honor.There are few gestures as symbolic and as loud as an entire state lowering their flags at the same moment for the same amount of time. Seeing a flag at the half staff position should spawn pause and thought. 

Quoting: Anonymous Coward 5485394

Typical artificial hierarchal/celebrity sentiment and bullshit,..to continue the fake notion that some people are more important and special than others...all because of a voice and record sales (nothing to do with any real virtues and merits).

I wonder now if another drugged up divorce woman (perhaps with a great voice but no fame, because she's on low income somewhere)would get the same consideration and treatment, when they overdose and die through their sad and selfish self-destructive acts and habits. Let's just wait and see..but I sincerely doubt it! As the superficial nature and hypocrisy of humans is relentless.
dead liver
User ID: 5453499
United States
Report Abusive Post
While I was mourning Whitney I drank a case of Falstaff. Is this proper etiquette?
ElusivePisces
User ID: 8429332
United States
Report Abusive Post
The over the top worship of celebrities in this country is disgusting. We should not worship cocaine whores.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1025215
United States
02/19/2012 12:17 PM
Report Abusive Post
yes.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 2348392
United States
02/19/2012 12:17 PM
Report Abusive Post
Christie just another failed loudmouth. That's 3 times he did this Clemmons Houston and when Krispy Cream went out business. He talks a good game but he is like all the others full of shit. He appointed a corrupt Superintendent of a shady school district that operated on political favors and it doesn't even grab headlines. Look up Ritacco and see his ties to him. Toms River NJ the Jersey Shore and corruption.Alot of things covered up in that town.
ceawaves

User ID: 11053264
Germany
02/19/2012 12:20 PM
Report Abusive Post
Never heard of this being done before, and felt it was a little over the top.. but then she did sing the National Anthem with great pride an beauty, looked like she felt and meant every word of it..More than the first lady ever has..
So that's something..Matter of fact during the last 911 memorial the first lady was looking a little like Jackson was yesterday.. rolling eyes..besides all bets are off now.. don't even matter any more..
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
02/19/2012 12:58 PM
Report Abusive Post
SHmeful
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 11002716
United States
02/19/2012 01:06 PM
Report Abusive Post
Never heard of this being done before, and felt it was a little over the top.. but then she did sing the National Anthem with great pride an beauty, looked like she felt and meant every word of it..More than the first lady ever has..
So that's something..Matter of fact during the last 911 memorial the first lady was looking a little like Jackson was yesterday.. rolling eyes..besides all bets are off now.. don't even matter any more..
 Quoting: ceawaves

Locally, our flags are at half staff most of the time. Anyone considered "important" or anything that moves them on a village, county, state or national level, our flags are half staff. Firemen, policemen, politicians, a well known family - always at half staff. Nobody ever knows what it's for. I only know because I've stopped and asked a few times. This started about 4 years ago. It used to strike fear in me because I'd say "Oh, I must have missed something on the news and something terrible must have happened. A national tragedy or something." I just started ignoring it now. I complained twice and they blew me off.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 11002716
United States
02/19/2012 01:09 PM
Report Abusive Post

Locally, our flags are at half staff most of the time. Anyone considered "important" or anything that moves them on a village, county, state or national level, our flags are half staff. Firemen, policemen, politicians, a well known family - always at half staff. Nobody ever knows what it's for. I only know because I've stopped and asked a few times. This started about 4 years ago. It used to strike fear in me because I'd say "Oh, I must have missed something on the news and something terrible must have happened. A national tragedy or something." I just started ignoring it now. I complained twice and they blew me off.
 Quoting: Keats

Bottom line is they are at half staff more than they are regular like. If no one knew any better, they'd think half-staff was the norm.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 10915804
United States
02/19/2012 01:10 PM
Report Abusive Post
I'm oppposed to ANYONE getting a flag lowered.

ceawaves

Germany
02/19/2012 02:00 PM
Report Abusive Post

Bottom line is they are at half staff more than they are regular like. If no one knew any better, they'd think half-staff was the norm.

They should go ahead an turn it upside down to...
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
02/19/2012 03:30 PM
Report Abusive Post
Need to educate people of flag ediquite
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 882120
United States
02/19/2012 03:33 PM
Report Abusive Post
crap
Daniel's Seventieth Seven
User ID: 1071051
United States
02/19/2012 03:44 PM
Report Abusive Post
... Our flag at halfstaff is is a serious issue. A government leader...

Quoting: Ohwow!

Is there really much of a difference between the two highlighted above?

?
Ohwow!

User ID: 10821768
United States
02/19/2012 04:38 PM
Report Abusive Post
Quote 1071051

I will agree with you here, but there was a time in this country that the two listed careers were honorable. The halfstaff flag, was used only for the one.

It still matters to most Americans. It is just another way for them to deface our country.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 11086453
United States
02/19/2012 04:52 PM
Report Abusive Post
Dont get me wrong i support just about everything he gas done exceo this

^ Ditto ^

Stupid populist move on his part.
Frankly, I think the flag should be flown at half mast every a Hollyweird star gets a paycheck.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 11086453
United States
02/19/2012 04:53 PM
Report Abusive Post
... Our flag at halfstaff is is a serious issue. A government leader...

?
 Quoting: Daniel's Seventieth Seven 1071051

As Rush so perfectly put it, politics is Hollywood for ugly people.
United States
02/19/2012 04:58 PM
Report Abusive Post
Quote 1071051

I will agree with you here, but there was a time in this country that the two listed careers were honorable. The halfstaff flag, was used only for the one.

It still matters to most Americans. It is just another way for them to deface our country.

Most (52.9%) voted our current (celebrity) president into office...

Obama received 365 electoral votes, and McCain 173. The popular vote was 69,456,897 to 59,934,814, respectively.
[link to en.wikipedia.org]

/\
Ohwow!

User ID: 10844789
United States
02/19/2012 06:03 PM
Report Abusive Post
Most (52.9%) voted our current (celebrity) president into office...Quote 1071051

Oh, okay, guess I didn't see any of his movies. Or was it a sitcom?
ceawaves

Germany
02/19/2012 06:59 PM
Report Abusive Post
Most (52.9%) voted our current (celebrity) president into office...Quote 1071051

Wherer you been? it's always been a sit-com...
United States
02/19/2012 07:07 PM
Report Abusive Post

Wherer you been? it's always been a sit-com...

chuckle
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
02/19/2012 08:23 PM
Report Abusive Post
Quote 1071051

Obama received 365 electoral votes, and McCain 173. The popular vote was 69,456,897 to 59,934,814, respectively.

/\

Quote 1071051

True dat

/\

GLP