Iconoclastics
Offer Upgrade

User ID: 1521939
United States
02/19/2012 04:28 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Revealed: How Atheist Richard Dawkins' Family Fortune Came From The Slave Trade
Ancestors of secularist campaigner Richard Dawkins made their fortune from the slave trade, it has been revealed.

The outspoken atheist, who once branded the Catholic Church 'evil', is the direct descendent of Henry Dawkins who owned 1,013 slaves in Jamaica until he died in 1744.

His 400-acre family estate, Over Norton Park near Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire, is believed to have been bought with money made through slave ownership hundreds of years ago.

Another ancestor was a member of the clergy while two were MPs who campaigned against the abolition of the slave trade.

Slavery was eventually abolished with the help of evangelical Christian, William Wilberforce - a deeply religious English member of parliament and social reformer.

But Professor Dawkins, author of The Selfish Game, told The Sunday Telegraph that linking him with the slave trade was a 'smear tactic'.

He said: 'I condemn slavery with the utmost vehemence, but the fact that my remote ancestors may have been involved in it is nothing to do with me.'

[link to www.dailymail.co.uk]
"The person who is in love with their vision of community will destroy community. But the person who loves the people around them will create community everywhere they go." ~ Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"Doubt is not a pleasant condition but certainty is absurd" ~ Voltaire

"The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." ~ Thomas Paine

On Twitter @Iconoclastics
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 11065287
Germany
02/19/2012 04:29 PM
Report Abusive Post
Re: Revealed: How Atheist Richard Dawkins' Family Fortune Came From The Slave Trade
The same could be said about George Washington and yet we don't hold it against him.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 8144162
Australia
02/19/2012 04:33 PM
Report Abusive Post
Re: Revealed: How Atheist Richard Dawkins' Family Fortune Came From The Slave Trade
And the point is? Does not make what he said about religion any less true. It is evil.

BRB changing their stance on whatever topic no longer fits in with the accepted regime.

BRB world is no longer flat

BRB no longer need to pay indulgences to get out of heaven (when the renaissance occurred....go figure)

BRB no longer centre of the universe

BRB there MIGHT be life elsewhere in the universe (as of about 2009)

Its pretty obvious sh!t is just wrong therefore evil because they garner so many believers thus power as a result of fairy tales.
Iconoclastics  (OP)

United States
02/19/2012 04:34 PM
Report Abusive Post
The same could be said about George Washington and yet we don't hold it against him.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 11065287

Actually I do. In fact, George Washington is far guiltier in my book than Dawkins. Dawkins never actually owned any slaves and he also never helped birth a nation based upon "freedom"
"The person who is in love with their vision of community will destroy community. But the person who loves the people around them will create community everywhere they go." ~ Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." ~ Thomas Paine

Iconoclastics  (OP)

United States
02/19/2012 04:37 PM
Report Abusive Post
And the point is? Does not make what he said about religion any less true. It is evil.

BRB changing their stance on whatever topic no longer fits in with the accepted regime.

BRB world is no longer flat

BRB no longer need to pay indulgences to get out of heaven (when the renaissance occurred....go figure)

BRB no longer centre of the universe

BRB there MIGHT be life elsewhere in the universe (as of about 2009)

Its pretty obvious sh!t is just wrong therefore evil because they garner so many believers thus power as a result of fairy tales.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 8144162

I don't disagree but just because religion is a tangled mess doesn't mean people should worship Dawkins, or any other person for that matter.

gameshow network
User ID: 5453499
United States
02/19/2012 04:38 PM
Report Abusive Post
And he was so good on Family Feud.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 11086453
United States
02/19/2012 04:51 PM
Report Abusive Post
And he was so good on Family Feud.
 Quoting: gameshow network 5453499

lmao

/thread

GLP