Godlike Productions - Discussion Forum
Users Online Now: 1,724 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 41,576
Pageviews Today: 90,050Threads Today: 55Posts Today: 735
12:53 AM

Rate this Thread

Absolute BS Crap Reasonable Nice Amazing

Are emotions at the root of all the world's problems?

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 2364968
United States
02/19/2012 11:55 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Are emotions at the root of all the world's problems?
I think so.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 10670257
Australia
02/20/2012 12:31 AM
Report Abusive Post
Re: Are emotions at the root of all the world's problems?
Kinda...

It all boils down to sex. Sexual suppression/having it shoved down our throats.

Read some of Wilhelm Reichs stuff :)
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1379944
United States
02/20/2012 12:32 AM
Report Abusive Post
...i still think religion is at the root of all of the worlds problems, but that's just me.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
User ID: 2364968
United States
02/20/2012 12:35 AM
Report Abusive Post
Jealousy, desire, greed, envy, anger, etc

All could be solved by rational logical thinking. But, that's not how the majority of humans are wired.
Jammer

User ID: 4141935
United States
02/20/2012 12:57 AM
Report Abusive Post
No.

The problems comes from the fact that people think.
Your VILLAGE called, their IDIOT is missing.

Your IDIOT called, their VILLAGE is missing.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 11134266
Australia
02/20/2012 01:11 AM
Report Abusive Post
...i still think religion is at the root of all of the worlds problems, but that's just me.
 Quoting: Roentgen®

Religion is DRIVEN and RUN on emotions.

Emotions of FEAR..of DEATH..of HELL..of EACHOTHER..those who DONT beleive like YOU do or have the same..FEEEELINGS!!!!

Get rid of those emotions and you also get rid of religion.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 11128817
Australia
02/20/2012 01:13 AM
Report Abusive Post
religion and money are.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 11079582
United States
02/20/2012 01:13 AM
Report Abusive Post
Lower emotions uncontrolled and undirected by the higher intellectual center - many simply do not have the higher center to self-control and self-direct - hence - they are easily stimulated to 'act out'...
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 11128817
Australia
02/20/2012 01:14 AM
Report Abusive Post

All could be solved by rational logical thinking. But, that's not how the majority of humans are wired.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 2364968

sounds like Hitler.
Future moment c.
User ID: 1415173
United States
02/20/2012 01:14 AM
Report Abusive Post
No only not understanding why the emotions exist and what they are trying to tell us is the problem.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 10836188
United States
02/20/2012 01:25 AM
Report Abusive Post
nope, it's instincts or higher cognitive thinking.

it's a joke.
Jammer

United States
02/20/2012 01:25 AM
Report Abusive Post
No only not understanding why the emotions exist and what they are trying to tell us is the problem.
 Quoting: Future moment c. 1415173

Partially true.

Emotions are nothing more than a reaction to perceived external events.

Understanding the event is what helps us to know and handle the emotion.

After the reaction, we can then use logic to dictate the outcome.

The human mind loves problems, how to deal with emotions is one of those.

Last Edited by Jammer on 02/20/2012 01:28 AM

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 11135922
Mexico
02/20/2012 01:28 AM
Report Abusive Post

Serial killers are often very adept at bypassing being controlled by their emotions in order to commit the atrocities that they commit. You may want to re-evaluate your premise.

Good market traders actually have similar abilities.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 11133961
Turkey
02/20/2012 01:29 AM
Report Abusive Post
watch EQUILIBRIUM and come back later moron.

[link to www.imdb.com]
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 10143678
United States
02/20/2012 01:30 AM
Report Abusive Post

Serial killers are often very adept at bypassing being controlled by their emotions in order to commit the atrocities that they commit. You may want to re-evaluate your premise.

Quoting: Anonymous Coward 11135922

Yes, the psychopath. Also make especially good business executives, all you need to know.
Anonymous Coward
Mexico
02/20/2012 01:30 AM
Report Abusive Post
Mind without heart or gut is a good recipe for ulcers and cancers inside you BTW. This is likely because trying to isolate your head is a recipe for harming your insides - you cannot pretend not to be made of a a variety of elements, each having its place and its value. Try to learn integration and none will be a problem.
Anonymous Coward
United States
02/20/2012 01:37 AM
Report Abusive Post

[link to www.imdb.com]
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 11133961

I believe a balance between instinct, emotions, and higher cognitive thinking prevents us from hurting others and ourselves. Some people may rationalize their atrocities other may kill because of their passions and others because of fears and survival instincts. A healthy balance between body spirit and mind.peace
Anonymous Coward
Mexico
02/20/2012 01:37 AM
Report Abusive Post

[link to www.imdb.com]
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 11133961

I believe a balance between instinct, emotions, and higher cognitive thinking prevents us from hurting others and ourselves. Some people may rationalize their atrocities other may kill because of their passions and others because of fears and survival instincts. A healthy balance between body spirit and mind.peace
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 10836188

What he said. +1
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 10555199
Australia
02/20/2012 01:40 AM
Report Abusive Post
No, people not understanding them is the problem.
Not the emotions themselves.
You can't control your emotions at all if you do not understand what they are.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 3375448
United States
02/20/2012 01:52 AM
Report Abusive Post
No, The process of voiding them is...the point of devoided of emotions is the opened human sepulchre....."Without Conscience" by Robert Hare YouTube it and follow it wit his "Snakes in Suits". My brother was a sociopath from extended mental trauma during his early and adolescent years...He managed well and excelled in all he did with excellent achievements top grade and skilled highly intelligent starched and pressed but void emotions..he told me it bothered him because he knew he was not like other humans but he could not get them back... then he was killed.
Jammer

United States
02/20/2012 01:58 AM
Report Abusive Post
No, people not understanding them is the problem.
Not the emotions themselves.
You can't control your emotions at all if you do not understand what they are.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 10555199

Emotions are chemical reactions in the brain caused by external events which trigger them.

We understand what they are
and some would rather to use external chemicals to alter them...

Those are drugs, and they are used to dull the senses which in turn dull the emotions.

Currently we have what some refer to a zombies.

Is this the state you would rather to be in?

Isis One

User ID: 1978809
United States
02/20/2012 03:27 AM

Report Abusive Post
Sort of. IMO, we are not evolved enough to raise/nurture children without abusing them or at best neglecting them. This is not a judgement, just a statement of fact. This leaves almost all of civilization walking around with undiagnosed/untreated Chronic PTSD.

I always say, you can't fix the corruption in the world until we acknowledge and heal the corruption in the family. Exploitation, sexual abuse, sexual discrimination, favortism, physical abuse, emotional blackmail, indifference, double standards, emotional extortion, brainwashing, and indoctrination just to name a few, occur regularly in family systems.

Unfortunately, the human ability to use denial as a defence against this abuse in childhood is carried over into adulthood and serves to perpetuate the cycle. The answer would be, mandatory therapy, need to pass a test and/or get a license to have children, constant supervision once you have them and tons of support to be successful in the endeavor.

Short of that, if each individual takes it upon themselves to assume they need to do some type of therapy and then stick with it through the tough parts and do it before they have children, this would help tremendously.

The fact that you can walk through the front door of your house and pretty much do anything you want to children psychologically, without having to account for it anywhere leads to an abuse of power. Think, absolute power...corrupts absolutely.

Its not about being perfect (thats everybody's defense, "oh what, are you supposed to be perfect?") so its about taking responsibility for your actions, and apologizing when you screw up. If you're not sure if you screwed up, just listen to your child, they will innocently tell you up until about age 5 or six. After that they pretty much get the program that they're the problem, not the adult
Spread the word, change the collective conscious......
THERE IS MORE THAN ENOUGH OF EVERYTHING TO GO AROUND

When you are undisciplined, the universe is extremely forgiving and when you are disciplined, the universe is extremely generous. Me

One doesn't discover new lands without consenting to lose sight, for a very long time, of the shore. Andre Gide
[link to www.godlikeproductions.com]
Manu-Koelbren

User ID: 11139851
Spain
02/20/2012 03:31 AM
Report Abusive Post
I was thinking this very same thing just yesterday.

I think the key thing with emotion is not suppressing it but having it under control. If people had their emotions under control the world would definitely improve a lot. It wouldnt be perfect though, for that you would need everyone to develop very high morals too, but maybe the kind of negative actions happening would at least be of a higher character (less beastial if you'd like)
Banned as usual.

“It is far easier to be a weakling than to be a Real Man. Were the Earth less harsh or the circumstances of life less austere, man would destroy himself before the shrine of the languid goddess. Only Real Men can with safety destroy the tangled forests and wilderness of Earth and make from them gardens, but will those who inherit the gardens be Real Men? The law decrees that they must be, or the wilderness will reclaim its own.”
Anonymous Coward
United States
02/20/2012 03:39 AM
Report Abusive Post

Quoting: Anonymous Coward 11135922

There are two centers of emotion in the fully developed human being - the higher and the lower - seriel killers lack a higher emotional center and operate almost exclusively through the lower mental and emotional centers. They are very cunning - even 'smart' from a purely animalistic, predatorial perspective. Yet, they have no developed higher centers (emotional or intellectual) so their emotional-empathic resonance ability is absent entirely. They aren't suppressing higher, normal human emotions - they lack them entirely.
Anonymous Coward
United States
02/20/2012 03:44 AM
Report Abusive Post
I was thinking this very same thing just yesterday.

I think the key thing with emotion is not suppressing it but having it under control. If people had their emotions under control the world would definitely improve a lot. It wouldnt be perfect though, for that you would need everyone to develop very high morals too, but maybe the kind of negative actions happening would at least be of a higher character (less beastial if you'd like)
 Quoting: Manu-Koelbren

I think this 'improved' outcome depends on the overall nature of the being(S) we're talking about and the internal 'tools' they have to work with, so to speak.
Anonymous Coward
United States
02/20/2012 03:51 AM
Report Abusive Post

I always say, you can't fix the corruption in the world until we acknowledge and heal the corruption in the family. Exploitation, sexual abuse, sexual discrimination, favortism, physical abuse, emotional blackmail, indifference, double standards, emotional extortion, brainwashing, and indoctrination just to name a few, occur regularly in family systems.

Unfortunately, the human ability to use denial as a defence against this abuse in childhood is carried over into adulthood and serves to perpetuate the cycle. The answer would be, mandatory therapy, need to pass a test and/or get a license to have children, constant supervision once you have them and tons of support to be successful in the endeavor.

Quoting: Isis One

The government accepting who's able to have kids or not sounds harsh and unrealistic. I do share the passion though. I believe most of us are broken children in adult bodies, and I do resent abusive behavior of "authority figures" towards their subordinates but at one time they too where weak and fragile, so we got to tread carefully between being too aggressive in solving this problem and too passive.
You got me thinking, what could we do to fix this?
Isis One

User ID: 1978809
United States
02/20/2012 08:48 PM

Report Abusive Post

Quoting: Isis One

The government accepting who's able to have kids or not sounds harsh and unrealistic. I do share the passion though. I believe most of us are broken children in adult bodies, and I do resent abusive behavior of "authority figures" towards their subordinates but at one time they too where weak and fragile, so we got to tread carefully between being too aggressive in solving this problem and too passive.
You got me thinking, what could we do to fix this?
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 10836188

Good points, I knew some of it was harsh when I was writing it, but soemtimes truth is painful (again, this is not judgement just reality). A license doesn't mean gov't "controls" who has kids per say, it just says you demonstrate a skill set and have met certain ideally universally agreed to, criteria. For chripe's sack, you need a license to paint nails or drive a car.

Also, I do like the idea of it takes a village to raise a child as their needs are so immense and all encompassing that its a lot to expect one or two humans who also have to earn a living will have the resources to complete the job especially, as you say, so many of us are broken children ourselves in adult bodies. But the illusion that all parents love their children unconditionally and never do anything to them out of any other motivation than love, needs to go by the wayside. We need to more mature and reality based than that.
Spread the word, change the collective conscious......
THERE IS MORE THAN ENOUGH OF EVERYTHING TO GO AROUND

When you are undisciplined, the universe is extremely forgiving and when you are disciplined, the universe is extremely generous. Me

One doesn't discover new lands without consenting to lose sight, for a very long time, of the shore. Andre Gide
[link to www.godlikeproductions.com]
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 8417061
United States
02/20/2012 08:53 PM
Report Abusive Post
Not emotions in and of itself, but impulsive reactions & actions that are spurned from those emotions.

GLP