Godlike Productions - Discussion Forum
Users Online Now: 2,100 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 572,486
Pageviews Today: 919,350Threads Today: 367Posts Today: 5,950
09:47 AM

Rate this Thread

Absolute BS Crap Reasonable Nice Amazing

Santorini caldera in Greece going to blow! and with it Greek Ecomony and the World $$!

Jack The Leper
Offer Upgrade

User ID: 8336875
United States
03/14/2012 10:34 AM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Santorini caldera in Greece going to blow! and with it Greek Ecomony and the World $$!
DOOM!

A volcano on the island of Santorini in Greece seems a bit restless, according to scientists studying the latest data.

Monitoring stations on the island indicate the Santorini caldera is awake again and rapidly deforming, said Georgia Tech researcher Andrew Newman.

“After decades of little activity, a series of earthquakes and deformation began within the Santorini caldera in January of 2011,” Mr. Newman said. “Since then our instruments on the northern part of the island have moved laterally between five and nine centimeters.”

“The volcano’s magma chamber is filling, and we are keeping a close eye on its activity,” he added.

The volcano, if it should erupt, could possibly present Greeks with tsunamis, say experts. The chamber has expanded by nearly 500 million cubic feet since last January, and could force delays in cruise lines navigating the area. The amount of magma that has been pumped into the chamber is the equivalent of a sphere three football fields across.

Read more: [link to www.thestatecolumn.com]

[link to www.thestatecolumn.com]
Jerusalem, my happy home,
When shall I come to thee?
When shall my sorrows have an end?
Thy joys when shall I see?

O Christ, do Thou my soul prepare
For that bright home of love
That I may see Thee and adore
With all Thy saints above.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 12349371
United States
03/14/2012 10:37 AM
Report Abusive Post
Re: Santorini caldera in Greece going to blow! and with it Greek Ecomony and the World $$!
DOOM!

A volcano on the island of Santorini in Greece seems a bit restless, according to scientists studying the latest data.

Monitoring stations on the island indicate the Santorini caldera is awake again and rapidly deforming, said Georgia Tech researcher Andrew Newman.

“After decades of little activity, a series of earthquakes and deformation began within the Santorini caldera in January of 2011,” Mr. Newman said. “Since then our instruments on the northern part of the island have moved laterally between five and nine centimeters.”

“The volcano’s magma chamber is filling, and we are keeping a close eye on its activity,” he added.

The volcano, if it should erupt, could possibly present Greeks with tsunamis, say experts. The chamber has expanded by nearly 500 million cubic feet since last January, and could force delays in cruise lines navigating the area. The amount of magma that has been pumped into the chamber is the equivalent of a sphere three football fields across.

Read more: [link to www.thestatecolumn.com]

[link to www.thestatecolumn.com]
 Quoting: Jack The Leper

I better clean the earwax out of my ears.

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 12494924
India
03/14/2012 10:40 AM
Report Abusive Post
Re: Santorini caldera in Greece going to blow! and with it Greek Ecomony and the World $$!
5a5a
jgl
User ID: 12897650
United Kingdom
03/21/2012 06:19 AM
Report Abusive Post
If Nea K or Koloumbo are going to go bang, I'm going to keep my earwax as a built-in defender! I go to Santo for several months on Apr 11!

GLP