Godlike Productions - Discussion Forum
Users Online Now: 1,799 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 708,247
Pageviews Today: 1,204,461Threads Today: 455Posts Today: 8,241
01:34 PM

Rate this Thread

Absolute BS Crap Reasonable Nice Amazing

Cause of hypersonic plane crash revealed-Flying at 20 times the speed of sound proved too much for the top-secret aircraft. 'Impulsive shock wave

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 533330
United States
04/23/2012 06:37 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Cause of hypersonic plane crash revealed-Flying at 20 times the speed of sound proved too much for the top-secret aircraft. 'Impulsive shock wave
It turns out that tearing through the atmosphere at 20 times the speed of sound is bad for the skin, even if you're a super high-tech aircraft developed by the government's best engineers at its far-out research agency.

DARPA, the Defense Advanced Research Project Agency, has made public its best guess about what might have caused its unmanned arrowhead-shaped Hypersonic Technology Vehicle (HTV-2) to suddenly lose contact and crash in the Pacific just a few minutes after slicing through the sky at Mach 20 last August: it was going so fast its skin peeled off.

After an eight-month investigation, DARPA concluded that even though the HTV-2 was expected to lose some of its skin mid-flight, "larger than anticipated portions of the vehicle's skin peeled from the aerostructure," the agency said in a statement Friday.

The agency said it expected the HTV-2, which goes so fast it can make the commute from New York to Los Angeles in 12 minutes, to experience "impulsive shock waves" at such speeds, but
[link to news.yahoo.com]
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 14734336
Canada
04/23/2012 06:41 PM
Report Abusive Post
Re: Cause of hypersonic plane crash revealed-Flying at 20 times the speed of sound proved too much for the top-secret aircraft. 'Impulsive shock wave
Ew, I hope that was a drone, because you know what I'm imagining.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
04/23/2012 06:42 PM
Report Abusive Post
Re: Cause of hypersonic plane crash revealed-Flying at 20 times the speed of sound proved too much for the top-secret aircraft. 'Impulsive shock wave
goes so fast it can make the commute from New York to Los Angeles in 12 minutes

Can u imagine that??
Owuld prolly cost 10k to do so though lol
Anonymous Coward
Canada
04/23/2012 06:42 PM
Report Abusive Post
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 14734336

Quoting: Anonymous Coward 14734336

ah, "unmanned." good.
Anonymous Coward
Canada
04/23/2012 06:43 PM
Report Abusive Post
goes so fast it can make the commute from New York to Los Angeles in 12 minutes

Can u imagine that??
Owuld prolly cost 10k to do so though lol
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 533330

yes but the side effect of being dead (possibly through being peeled like an onion?) is off-putting.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 857470
Canada
04/23/2012 07:11 PM
Report Abusive Post
I told them they should have used gorilla glue and some good duct tape...but they just wouldnt listen chuckle
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
04/23/2012 07:18 PM
Report Abusive Post
I told them they should have used gorilla glue and some good duct tape...but they just wouldnt listen chuckle
 Quoting: RememberThis

lol, I agree as gorilla glue and duct tape hold anything together.

But seriously speaking, This was top secret so can u imagine what other type aircraft they have that is being tested esp if they released this one and its info.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 857470
Canada
04/23/2012 07:22 PM
Report Abusive Post
 Quoting: RememberThis

lol, I agree as gorilla glue and duct tape hold anything together.

But seriously speaking, This was top secret so can u imagine what other type aircraft they have that is being tested esp if they released this one and its info.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 533330

At that speed even suspended dust in the air is super abrasive

GLP