Godlike Productions - Discussion Forum
Users Online Now: 2,148 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 905,005
Pageviews Today: 1,691,645Threads Today: 822Posts Today: 14,623
06:54 PM

Rate this Thread

Absolute BS Crap Reasonable Nice Amazing

WHAT IS HAPPENING AT WHITE ISLAND VOLCANO??? New Zealand/Kermadec & South Pacific QUAKE/VOLCANO WATCH

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 10729964
New Zealand
10/31/2012 05:35 AM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: WHAT IS HAPPENING AT WHITE ISLAND VOLCANO??? New Zealand/Kermadec & South Pacific QUAKE/VOLCANO WATCH
Yep very much soo, Whakatane being very flat we are almost right at sea level and about 2.6km from the sea.
 Quoting: Whakatane

I remember the feeling well of wondering whether to stay or go...we lived about 150m from the beach at Papamoa. Have since moved but had a couple of scares while we lived there.

There are 331 felt reports for the Quake you felt so pretty strong to wake up so many.
 Quoting: taniatarn

hiya tarn

i spent the afternoon and evening at the mount/ tauranga and i must say i was thinking about tsunamis while sitting on the beach this arvo..

did you see the 4 quakes off taranaki, 3 at almost the same spot, and another nearby?

did you feel many quakes while you lived in tauranga?
Anonymous Coward
New Zealand
10/31/2012 05:36 AM
Report Abusive Post
Re: WHAT IS HAPPENING AT WHITE ISLAND VOLCANO??? New Zealand/Kermadec & South Pacific QUAKE/VOLCANO WATCH
dangerous volcano I think... scary
 Quoting: botann

hello

you have a lot where you are too, do you live near any of the indonesian volcanoes?
Anonymous Coward
New Zealand
10/31/2012 05:38 AM
Report Abusive Post
Sulphur smell over Auckland 21/9/2012

Published on Sep 21, 2012 by biggordy100
Strong smell of sulphur in Auckland , could this be a pre curser to a quake? Or volcanic unrest??

Quoting: Tauranga

Hey T!
hf

Wow..thats really interesting! Had missed seeing that.

Lots of activity here and there...I notice Tongariro is steaming away again after nearly tapering right off.

i thought so! i posted about that maybe yesterday, i thought it looked like it was smoking in the cam shots...

yes plenty of activity, tarn..
taniatarn

User ID: 13048372
New Zealand
10/31/2012 05:43 AM
Report Abusive Post
Yep very much soo, Whakatane being very flat we are almost right at sea level and about 2.6km from the sea.

I remember the feeling well of wondering whether to stay or go...we lived about 150m from the beach at Papamoa. Have since moved but had a couple of scares while we lived there.

There are 331 felt reports for the Quake you felt so pretty strong to wake up so many.

hiya tarn

i spent the afternoon and evening at the mount/ tauranga and i must say i was thinking about tsunamis while sitting on the beach this arvo..

did you see the 4 quakes off taranaki, 3 at almost the same spot, and another nearby?

The thought of a tsunami when we lived at the beach scared the beejesus out of me to be honest! It was one of the reasons I really wanted to move.

There seems to be almost a domino effect happening lately..almost like the earth is playing pass the parcel with swarms here and there.....That one off Gisborne is still ongoing and quite close to land....bit worrying tsunami wise too..

I remember one quite strong earthquake...We eventually stayed at home after doing a little research but were getting ready to run for the hills.

ANd then the tsunami warning from the Chile quake was a bit of a worry for awhile too...We had two tsunami warnings while we lived there but both came to nothing.
Interested observer of all things interesting!

Please note : Where appropriate for posted images/ graphs I acknowledge the New Zealand GeoNet project and its sponsors EQC, GNS Science and LINZ, for providing data/images used in my study and analyses of Volcanic and Earthquake information in New Zealand.
Anonymous Coward
New Zealand
10/31/2012 05:48 AM
Report Abusive Post

hiya tarn

The thought of a tsunami when we lived at the beach scared the beejesus out of me to be honest! It was one of the reasons I really wanted to move.

There seems to be almost a domino effect happening lately..almost like the earth is playing pass the parcel with swarms here and there.....That one off Gisborne is still ongoing and quite close to land....bit worrying tsunami wise too..

I remember one quite strong earthquake...We eventually stayed at home after doing a little research but were getting ready to run for the hills.

ANd then the tsunami warning from the Chile quake was a bit of a worry for awhile too...We had two tsunami warnings while we lived there but both came to nothing.

i remember the warning about 3 years ago

we were living at athenree at the time, and a helicopter was broadcasting telling everyone to leave athenree

we lived part way up a on a bit of a hill, so i chose to stay home, and run higher up the hill if need be, but i think the wave was only cen timetres high when it got here...was that the chile quake?
Anonymous Coward
New Zealand
10/31/2012 05:49 AM
Report Abusive Post
Thread: HMS Bounty

taniatarn

User ID: 13048372
New Zealand
10/31/2012 05:51 AM
Report Abusive Post

hiya tarn

Here it shows how there is quite the hotspot just offshore of Whakatane..

[link to www.geonet.org.nz]

right on top or near Moutohora Island ( Whale )...the volcano!

[link to en.wikipedia.org]
Interested observer of all things interesting!

Please note : Where appropriate for posted images/ graphs I acknowledge the New Zealand GeoNet project and its sponsors EQC, GNS Science and LINZ, for providing data/images used in my study and analyses of Volcanic and Earthquake information in New Zealand.
Anonymous Coward
New Zealand
10/31/2012 06:06 AM
Report Abusive Post

hiya tarn

Here it shows how there is quite the hotspot just offshore of Whakatane..

right on top or near Moutohora Island ( Whale )...the volcano!

[link to en.wikipedia.org]

holy shit! thats a lot of quakes in that area!

tarn, are you still not able to do your quake analasis/maps that you used to do?
Whakatane

User ID: 5071976
New Zealand
10/31/2012 06:27 AM
Report Abusive Post
Yep got a few plans in place ordepending where i am at the time of certain events.. at work, out on the road, at home etc.
Can only hope i will be at home due to living close to a large hill and having all my goodies there.
I remember the Tsunami warning we had about 3 years ago and i was a volunteer fire fighter at the time so was interesting seing peoples reaction and watching people actually going to the beach...
Still keeping an eye out on the quakes around Te Araroa, seems to be a hot spot for reasonable quakes continuosly for about the last 8 months.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1341413
New Zealand
10/31/2012 07:48 AM
Report Abusive Post
Yep got a few plans in place ordepending where i am at the time of certain events.. at work, out on the road, at home etc.
Can only hope i will be at home due to living close to a large hill and having all my goodies there.
I remember the Tsunami warning we had about 3 years ago and i was a volunteer fire fighter at the time so was interesting seing peoples reaction and watching people actually going to the beach...
Still keeping an eye out on the quakes around Te Araroa, seems to be a hot spot for reasonable quakes continuosly for about the last 8 months.

yeah i just mentioned that tsunami warning 3 years ago, i was living at athenree at the time

tania and i think there may be a new volcano forming off te araroa, thats sure is what it looks like out there, did you see her map of those quakes a few weeks back, incredible amount of quakes concentrated in one area
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 24476931
New Zealand
10/31/2012 06:08 PM
Report Abusive Post
4.7 2012/10/31 16:26:38 -30.157 -177.791 61.0 KERMADEC ISLANDS, NEW ZEALAND

4.5 2012/10/31 12:35:13 -18.645 -177.530 315.9 FIJI REGION

4.6 2012/10/30 15:22:52 -17.979 -178.566 623.1 FIJI REGION

5.2 2012/10/30 13:12:29 -37.949 177.681 67.8 OFF EAST COAST OF THE NORTH ISLAND, N.Z.

4.7 2012/10/30 12:53:05 -24.742 -179.616 541.2 SOUTH OF THE FIJI ISLANDS

5.1 2012/10/30 10:59:33 -18.219 -174.809 9.8 TONGA

4.9 2012/10/30 07:12:35 -17.917 -178.592 560.7 FIJI REGION

4.6 2012/10/30 00:41:33 -36.203 -100.250 10.0 SOUTHEAST OF EASTER ISLAND

4.7 2012/10/29 22:41:13 -15.263 -172.934 34.2 SAMOA ISLANDS REGION

4.8 2012/10/29 10:30:44 -24.600 179.264 526.6 SOUTH OF THE FIJI ISLANDS

4.7 2012/10/27 20:56:46 -16.255 -175.946 355.6 TONGA

5.1 2012/10/27 20:14:59 -21.474 169.833 35.7 SOUTHEAST OF THE LOYALTY ISLANDS

4.8 2012/10/27 07:02:40 -22.284 179.922 554.8 SOUTH OF THE FIJI ISLANDS

4.8 2012/10/27 05:52:17 -10.845 160.919 45.4 SOLOMON ISLANDS

5.0 2012/10/26 21:38:19 -11.569 165.470 34.1 SANTA CRUZ ISLANDS

4.5 2012/10/26 04:24:30 -18.032 -178.574 608.0 FIJI REGION

5.3 2012/10/25 18:40:39 -19.830 -178.196 604.1 FIJI REGION

4.3 2012/10/25 09:25:59 -17.974 -178.448 599.5 FIJI REGION

4.5 2012/10/23 22:15:28 -18.423 -177.822 628.7 FIJI REGION

10 degree map of the south pacific
[link to earthquake.usgs.gov]

list of quakes on this map
[link to earthquake.usgs.gov]

hidinghidinghidinghidinghidinghidinghiding
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 26108320
New Zealand
10/31/2012 07:26 PM
Report Abusive Post
Swarm of quakes has city rocking

A mini-swarm of earthquakes continued to shake the River City yesterday.

All the quakes occurred at the same spot, 30km southwest of Wanganui but at different depths.

Six earthquakes struck near Wanganui within a 12-hour period.

Most of them were too small to be noticed. The two largest were a magnitude 4.4, which was felt strongly at 1.44am yesterday, at a depth of 13km and a magnitude 3.0, at 1.26pm.

The shakes follow a magnitude 4.5 quake in the early hours of Sunday, which was 25km deep.

GNS Science seismologist Caroline Holden said such earthquake swarms were not unusual.

"It's just a gentle reminder that people need to be prepared for a big earthquake," she said.

In July, Wanganui was shaken by a magnitude 7.0 earthquake, located 70km west of Wanganui at a depth of 230km.

The next largest recent earthquake in Wanganui was a magnitude 5.1 in August 2010 - just a week before the 7.1 Canterbury earthquake. That earthquake was centred in the same location as the recent swarm.

Ms Holden said GNS Science had recently changed its recording of earthquakes, which could give the impression New Zealand was experiencing more earthquakes than usual.

[link to www.wanganuichronicle.co.nz]
Anonymous Coward
New Zealand
10/31/2012 08:02 PM
Report Abusive Post

Strong smell of sulphur in Auckland , could this be a pre curser to a quake? Or volcanic unrest??

Hey T!
hf

Lots of activity here and there...I notice Tongariro is steaming away again after nearly tapering right off.

heya tarn

tongariro was more than steaming last night..

check out this photo from 7.30
Anonymous Coward
New Zealand
10/31/2012 08:09 PM
Report Abusive Post

Hey T!
hf

heya tarn

and here was 5.30 am
Anonymous Coward
New Zealand
10/31/2012 08:25 PM
Report Abusive Post
HMMM...

what is happening at omahuta?? (northland volcanic field)

the seismo drum is off,but it looks as if the volcano graphs were rising rapidly at the time
Anonymous Coward
New Zealand
10/31/2012 08:31 PM
Report Abusive Post
Swarm of quakes has city rocking

A mini-swarm of earthquakes continued to shake the River City yesterday.

All the quakes occurred at the same spot, 30km southwest of Wanganui but at different depths.

Six earthquakes struck near Wanganui within a 12-hour period.

Most of them were too small to be noticed. The two largest were a magnitude 4.4, which was felt strongly at 1.44am yesterday, at a depth of 13km and a magnitude 3.0, at 1.26pm.

The shakes follow a magnitude 4.5 quake in the early hours of Sunday, which was 25km deep.

GNS Science seismologist Caroline Holden said such earthquake swarms were not unusual.

"It's just a gentle reminder that people need to be prepared for a big earthquake," she said.

In July, Wanganui was shaken by a magnitude 7.0 earthquake, located 70km west of Wanganui at a depth of 230km.

The next largest recent earthquake in Wanganui was a magnitude 5.1 in August 2010 - just a week before the 7.1 Canterbury earthquake. That earthquake was centred in the same location as the recent swarm.

Ms Holden said GNS Science had recently changed its recording of earthquakes, which could give the impression New Zealand was experiencing more earthquakes than usual.

[link to www.wanganuichronicle.co.nz]

hmmm...

the spike in the taupo volcano graphs coincides with the whanganui quakes..

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1253103
New Zealand
10/31/2012 10:50 PM
Report Abusive Post
Tjörnes Fracture Zone volcano (North of Iceland): seismic swarm continues with no end in sight

[link to theextinctionprotocol.wordpress.com]
graph and map

October 30, 2012 – ICELAND – The earthquake swarm in the Tjörnes Fracture Zone north off Iceland continues into its 10th day. After a decline in intensity during 25-28 Oct, the frequency of quakes has again picked up. There are often more than 100 quakes a day including some above magnitude 3. The Icelandic Met Office maintains a warning for a possible larger quake in the area. –Volcano Discovery
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1273495
New Zealand
11/01/2012 03:36 AM
Report Abusive Post

Hey T!
hf

heya tarn

and here was 5.30 am

damn, i should have got some screen shots

the 7.30pm shot showed something orange coming from the crater..
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 8760034
New Zealand
11/01/2012 09:58 AM
Report Abusive Post
Earthquake jolts Three Gorges Dam area in China
Posted on November 1, 2012

[link to theextinctionprotocol.wordpress.com]

November 1, 2012 – CHINA – An earthquake measuring 3.2 on the Richter scale hit a central China region where the world’s biggest water reservoir the Three Gorges Dam is located, though no harm to the structure was reported. The tremor hit Zigui County of Yichang City in Hubei Province at 3:42 am and its epicentre was located at five km below ground, according to the China Earthquake Networks Center. No casualties were reported though the earthquake was felt across Zigui, state-run Xinhua news agency said. “The minor earthquake has not affected the Three Gorges Dam, which can endure far stronger earthquakes,” Hu Xing’e, vice head of the management bureau of the project with the China Three Gorges Corporation said. She said that no earthquake-triggered landslides have been reported in the reservoir area and all power generating units and ship locks are working normally. The dam, the world’s largest water control and hydropower project which spans the Yangtze River, China’s longest waterway, was unaffected by the 8.0-magnitude earthquake that hit the country’s southwestern Sichuan Province in 2008. On Tuesday, the water level of the hydropower project reached its designed full capacity of 175 metres in a storage test that allow experts to observe, research and validate the dam’s original design and to test its hydropower turbo-generators. The test marked the third round of the full-capacity storage test conducted since 2010. “Wednesday’s earthquake was a shallow-focus earthquake rather than a structural one,” said Zhang Shuguang, head of the project’s management bureau. “It was not very destructive.” Zhang said the earthquake could have been triggered by water pouring into caves or the excavation of coal mine shafts in the region. Since the dam started to hold water in 2003, about 19,000 earthquakes, most of which have been slight or ultra-slight, have been reported in the reservoir region, according Niu Xinqiang, head of the Yangtze River Institute of Survey, Planning and Design. “No structural earthquake has been reported,” he said. “The frequency of earthquakes and landslides in this region has been lessening over the past years,” he said. However, critics of the dam allege that most of the tremors were caused by the weight of the mammoth water storage. –DNA India
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 8760034
New Zealand
11/01/2012 10:03 AM
Report Abusive Post
[link to standeyo.com]

Date: Fri, 07 Aug 1998 16:21:41 +1200
To: Stan Deyo <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: MAORI ELDER TELLS ME OF EARTH CHANGES TO NZ

Hi Stan

Well, first of all, I was just visited again by that Maori Indian Elder Woman who wanted all the data printed out from both your website and Jim Berkland's,... including maps etc.....- so, she left here loaded up to the eyeballs with printed matter to take back to the other Elders for them to study.

I was amazed that she even knew of both of you; because the Maori keep VERY much to themselves; and where they live, they have no phone, no TV, no radio, no video etc etc etc... To be quite frank with you, Stan, I got the disinct impression that it was YOU that I was supposed to pass the information onto about what she'd seen and what would happen to New Zealand. It was quite a shock having someone of her stature turning up at my doorstep! That's why she gave me the prediction before she left about the dikes busting in China and killing 100's of people..... and of course it happened exactly as she had said,... - even her saying I'd be waking up and hearing it on the news at precisely 8am (I'm certain this was to prove what she'd told me on other things were true).

She said that she's been told that Lake Taupo would "blow" (her words); and, she added, she could take me to nearby places where there were valleys that would be filled with 100's and 100's of bodies just floating there after Taupo blows. Then, she went on with her other explanations of how the whole of New Zealand would be effected with all the twisting and turning it would have to endure (not a pretty thought!). Of course, I asked her when all this would happen and - just like the Hopis - she said "soon, very soon"... but she did go a little further than that. However, I was taking so much in from her, I only hope I can tell you correctly what was explained to me.

She said that there would be an event that was unrelated; but when this event happened, it would be a trigger for many major earth changes.... Again, this was to be in China; and it's a subject I know nothing about; so, please bear with me on this one. She said there was this "channel" there in China that they'd been working on for many years; and it was not yet complete. She said work had stopped on it for various reasons; then she told me that up above this "channel", there were 1000's of logs or timber that were perched at the top of this "channel"... Furthermore, over time, some had been stolen; but most were still there (she didn't say what they were to be used for, so it's a bit confusing for me). She said that soon these logs would come crashing down killing 1000's; and, when this happened, it would be a sign for her people that these Earth changes were about to happen with great intensity.

Does any of this make sense to you? Do you know of any such "channel" being built by the chinese? She said it had been started many years ago but never completed.

Anyway, I'm really glad you replied, Stan; because, as I said, I got the distinct impression that it was you that they really wanted this information to be passed onto.

Love to you both,

Karen

================== Stan's answer email ======================

Date: Wed, 06 Aug 1998 11:32:21 +1200
To: Karen Lyster <[email protected]>
Subject: MAORI ELDER TELLS ME OF EARTH CHANGES TO NZ

Karen,

I will send more tomorrow.... Yes, the Maori Elder was aiming the message at me. The Chinese connection is a signal to me as well. I saw the doco on TV; and I know what she is talking about... It is the Three Gorges Dam Project in China which is to dam the Yangtze River. It will consume over 130,000 acres and stretch some 400 miles along the Yangtze. The trees are being cut and have been stockpiled for later uses including dikes.... The Green group, the US Gov't ... the World Bank - ALL have tried to stop this project as an environmental nightmare.... It has displaced 2 million Chinese from their homes...

In my dreamvision, I was shown the only thing I would need to have when the Taupo event was to happen was a small red alarm/calculator I had purchased from an Indian exporter named Dadlani in Hong Kong quite a few years ago. I imported several hundred of them for Myers Dept stores and other customers a few years ago. I remember the calculator well as it was with me daily and because it was flaming red in colour... but, I did not make the Chinese connection until just this second... Hong Kong is China now... Hmmm.....m..m.m.m.m

The alarm clock was a simple thing and yet what I saw in the dream had depth in my sub-conscious that I could not remember until now... good grief!.... good grief!... We have heaps of data on Three Gorges Dam project... maybe the Maori's info has been sent to tell us that the time is near because my chinese, red, alarm clock was the only thing I would need???

'Cracks' in China's Three Gorges Dam

April 12, 2002

A senior Chinese official says cracks have appeared in the controversial Three Gorges hydroelectric dam being built on the Yangtze river.

Qian Zhengying, the former minister of water resources who heads an expert group on the dam, returned from a week-long inspection of the project demanding that the cracks be "repaired fastidiously", according to the state-controlled China Daily.

There have been consistent rumours that the 185-metre high dam, which entails the removal of entire villages to higher ground, is being shoddily constructed, amid reports of endemic corruption in the project.

But the China Daily report represents an unusually frank admission that the dam has serious shortcomings and some leaders are now critical of the project.

"During the past three years, concrete placement in the project has not been first class, causing a variety of related accidents and drawbacks, though the concrete process has improved compared with previous years," Ms Qian was quoted as saying.

The cracks measure a maximum 1.25 millimetres across and 2.5 metres deep, according to China Daily.

The paper said cracks had also been found in the project's permanent ship-locks and ship-lifts.

Costly Project

The Chinese Government's prestige project is hugely costly - officially it is expected to cost at least US$24bn but unofficial estimates say it could cost at least three times that amount.

It has been bedeviled by corruption. In 2000, 97 officials were convicted of embezzlement from the dam fund.

Activists have criticised the enforced resettlement of those whose homes lay in the 600km-long (300 mile) area which will form the Three Gorges reservoir and the loss of many historic buildings and artefacts that will be drowned.

The dam is intended to control China's notorious flooding problem. But engineers have questioned whether the dam will be effective, citing problems with sedimentation and the construction itself.

[link to news.bbc.co.uk]
[link to www.irn.org]
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1429686
New Zealand
11/01/2012 06:04 PM
Report Abusive Post
Thread: Lights in sky over Melbourne.
Anonymous Coward
New Zealand
11/01/2012 06:35 PM
Report Abusive Post
[link to www.greenchipstocks.com]

Three Gorges Dam Failing
Chinese Dam Increases Risk of Earthquakes

By Brianna Panzica
Wednesday, April 18th, 2012

China’s Three Gorges Dam is located on the Yangtze River. Completed in 2006, the dam and its reservoir were meant to prevent the constant flooding of the Yangtze and to contribute to the nation’s power during a time of great industrialization.
But it has caused a dangerous number of problems and risks.
In 2010, the water in the dam reached its maximum level, and related landslides and natural disasters have increased by 70% since then.

1.4 million people have already been moved from the surrounding area as a safety precaution. And it’s possible, says ministry official Lin Yuan, that in the next 3 to 5 years, 100,000 more will be displaced.
As he told China National Radio, the government is monitoring 5,386 sites that have been deemed dangerous, and they have begun work on 335 locations where there have already been landslides and rockfalls.
The ministry refused to confirm or deny his claims, but the government has acknowledged that filling the reservoir has increased seismic activity and the risk of earthquakes.
And last year the nation’s Cabinet outlined all the problems related to the dam, problems that have been disputed for a long time.
In May 2008, a huge earthquake occurred in Sichuan, killing 87,000 people. The government insists that it was unrelated to the reservoir, but concerns still remain.
A report by the environmental group Probe International also shows that 20 dams in the upper Yangtze are in seismically active territory.

And though moving citizens might be safest, it could take some convincing. Those who have already been moved have reported trouble getting settled and maintaining work since they had to leave the area.
The government will continue to monitor the regions in danger, and it is likely that many more people will have to leave their homes.
nexuseditor

User ID: 25922006
Australia
11/01/2012 06:52 PM
Report Abusive Post
bump
Anonymous Coward
New Zealand
11/01/2012 06:55 PM
Report Abusive Post
[link to www.thirdage.com]

Three Gorges Dam is Full; Earthquake Risks Increased
Posted by Eric Lander on October 28, 2010 6:10 AM

Three Gorges dam in China -- the world's largest and most expensive hydroelectric project -- this week reached its capacity of 574 feet, Chinese state media reported.Cao Guangjing, chairman of the China Three Gorges Corp., told Xinhua news agency that only by reaching the maximum level would all of the project's 26 power-generating units -- each with a capacity of 700,000 kilowatts -- be fully operational.

At peak level, the dam on the Yangtze River would generate an annual output of 84.7 billion kilowatt hours of power.

During the engineered flooding required for the building of the dam, started in 1994 and completed last year, 13 cities, 140 towns and 1,350 villages were submerged and 1.8 million people displaced.

Two previous attempts, in 2008 and 2009, to reach the capacity mark failed. When the dam began to generate power in 2008, the reservoir's water level had reached 567 feet.

But geologists warn that the extra water increases the risk of landslides, earthquakes and damage to the Yangtze River's ecosystem.

Fan Xiao, chief engineer of the Sichuan Geology and Mineral Bureau, told the South China Morning Post that landslides are inevitable because elevated water levels significantly increasing the internal moisture of surrounding banks, making them soft, loose and unpredictable.
Anonymous Coward
New Zealand
11/01/2012 06:57 PM
Report Abusive Post
bump
 Quoting: nexuseditor

hiya my friend, neat to see you xx

what are your thoughts about the three gorges dam?
Anonymous Coward
New Zealand
11/01/2012 07:01 PM
Report Abusive Post
[link to www2.gi.alaska.edu]

Alaska Science Forum

November 10, 1999
Giant Chinese Dam May Cause Earth to Move
Article #1465

by Ned Rozell

In a project reminiscent of the Great Wall, the Chinese are building another of the world's largest structures. When they finish the Three Gorges Dam, the Chinese will have built a wall across the third largest river in the world, created a reservoir almost 300 miles long, and tapped an electrical source equal to 18 nuclear power plants.

Water held by the dam also may trigger earthquakes that could threaten millions of people. Two scientists at the Geophysical Institute are working together to help the Chinese assess the earthquake risk of Three Gorges Dam. Born in the mountains of the Tibetan Plateau, the Yangtzi River flows almost 4,000 miles to the ocean, making it the third longest river in the world after the Nile and the Amazon (the Yukon is half the length of the Yangtzi). Hoping to harness the power of the river, the Chinese government began building the dam a few years ago, expecting to finish by 2009. When the mile-wide, 600-foot high dam is complete, the flooding upstream will begin. As the water rises, it will drown more than 1,400 rural towns and villages abandoned earlier by government decree. The water rising behind the dam will power 26 huge turbines to provide electricity, and will allow people to control a river that has killed 300,000 people by flooding during the 20th century.

No one knows how local seismic faults will react to the incredible mass of water behind Three Gorges Dam. Like heavy snow on an overloaded roof, the weight of water blocked by dams can cause existing cracks in Earth's crust to slip, resulting in earthquakes. Faults tend to slip more often when a nearby giant reservoir is filled with water. The largest was a magnitude 6.5 triggered by the Konya reservoir in Turkey. That earthquake killed 200 people in December 1967.

NASA funded Jeff Freymueller and Shusun Li of the Geophysical Institute to help the Chinese determine the seismic risk of Three Gorges Dam. Millions of people downstream from the dam are at risk should an earthquake damage or destroy it. "A catastrophic failure of the dam would be perhaps the single most destructive event in human history," said Freymueller, a professor of geophysics. He added that the chances of the dam being destroyed by an earthquake are small, but because the consequences are so severe any seismic activity induced by the reservoir has to be taken seriously.

Freymueller and Li will study movement of Earth's crust around the dam site before and after the dam is built. Freymueller will use global positioning satellites, the same tool he used to determine that Seward and Homer are creeping in opposite directions by a few centimeters a year. GPS receivers placed at various points in the Yangtzi River basin by Chinese scientists will tell Freymueller how much the ground has subsided due to the weight of the reservoir. Li, a professor of remote sensing, will use a different type of satellite to view the river basin. A synthetic aperture radar satellite sends radio pulses to the ground and records the time it takes them to return. The satellite will allow scientists to get a wider view than that allowed by the GPS receivers on the ground. Combining the technologies may allow Freymueller and Li to measure the sinkage of the new river basin, which will probably be less than 20 centimeters, about the length of a man's hand.

Both researchers hope their findings on ground subsidence around the dam will allow an accurate assessment of how seismic faults will react to the load of water. Li has added incentive to find the seismic effects of the Three Gorges Dam. His hometown, Shanghai, is downriver.
Anonymous Coward
New Zealand
11/01/2012 07:11 PM
Report Abusive Post
[link to www.thirdage.com]

Three Gorges Dam is Full; Earthquake Risks Increased
Posted by Eric Lander on October 28, 2010 6:10 AM

"It's like dipping a piece of bread in milk. The deeper you go, the more difficult it is to hold on," Fan said.

The unprecedented mass of water also increases the risk of earthquakes, he said.

Yang Yong, a Sichuan-based geologist, clarifies Fan's warning:, "When the dam reaches 574 feet (the capacity mark achieved Tuesday), it will push the region's geological instability to the fringe of catastrophe."

Three Gorges' revealed its shortcomings when floodwaters raced into the dam's 400-mile-long reservoir in July, prompting a government official to admit that the dam's flood-control capacity "is not unlimited."

Thousands of tons of garbage also accumulated amid the heavy rains, threatening to block the locks of the dam.

When approved in 1992, the dam's original cost was estimated at $8.3 billion. That figure has risen to approximately $27 billion by Beijing's estimate, while other predictions make the final cost at $88 billion.

The project received additional funding Wednesday when China Development Bank announced that it would lend more than $11 billion to China Three Gorges Corp., developer of the dam, over the next five years, Xinhua reports.
Kiwi25

User ID: 26599529
New Zealand
11/01/2012 07:20 PM

Report Abusive Post
We live near Whakatane too.. tho a safe distance from the coast. We felt the Te Kaha quake strongly too... my alarm clock fell off the shelf... tho it was near the edge.

How much you feel a quake depends a lot on your house foundation. If you are on a concrete slab.. you dont't feel much. If you are on piles.. more.. and if like us you have a pole foundation.. you really get swung about. At the pole end of the house I can feel the smallest quakes.. and the Te Kaha one went on and on...

I have felt the big Kermadec quakes.. they travel right down the "Volcanic Zone" and we sit very close to it. Amazing.. it is half way to Tonga..
Anonymous Coward
New Zealand
11/01/2012 07:31 PM
Report Abusive Post
We live near Whakatane too.. tho a safe distance from the coast. We felt the Te Kaha quake strongly too... my alarm clock fell off the shelf... tho it was near the edge.

How much you feel a quake depends a lot on your house foundation. If you are on a concrete slab.. you dont't feel much. If you are on piles.. more.. and if like us you have a pole foundation.. you really get swung about. At the pole end of the house I can feel the smallest quakes.. and the Te Kaha one went on and on...

I have felt the big Kermadec quakes.. they travel right down the "Volcanic Zone" and we sit very close to it. Amazing.. it is half way to Tonga..
 Quoting: Kiwi25

hiya kiwi25

great to hear from you

ah, i am on a concrete floor, that may be why i dont feel the quakes

my dog sure feels a few of them, though..

yes, the GLPer whakatane said it was a long quake, too...
Anonymous Coward
New Zealand
11/01/2012 08:08 PM
Report Abusive Post
[link to seabreeze.wordpress.com]

nz quakes from tuesday 30th october

30.10.2012 (Day304) SeisComP3

View Larger Map
summary (reviewed in brackets)
mag1= 13 [2], mag2= 24 [2], mag3= 3 [1]
mag4= 1 [1], mag5= 0 [0], mag6= 0 [0]
total= 41 [6]
total energy released= 384.850 TTNT

nz quakes from wednesday 31st october

31.10.2012 (Day305) SeisComP3

View Larger Map