Balcones Fault Line in Texas

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 15647210
United States
05/06/2012 11:28 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Balcones Fault Line in Texas
There's been recent talk about the Balcones Fault Line in Texas, which many people don't know about, while others believe it's showing signs of activity.

The Balcones Fault Line runs along the I-35 corridor from Waco through Austin and past San Antonio. West of the line, lies the Hill Country. East of the lines, are the Texas Coastal Plains. There are hundreds of those fault lines splitting out from the main one running East.

Here's a map showing the fault line:

[link to geology.heroy.smu.edu]

And I found this interesting post on a past thread here at GLP:

The are three faults that run together, in a point, about a quarter mile north of Williams Square, in Irving. I used to have a map from the USGS but it's been removed on purpose.
The faults are The Quachita Thrust Front, The Balcones Fault, and the East Texas Uplift.

When the 5+ event struck Alpine, Tx in 1995, we felt it in Irving, as I lived and was at work that night. Though these have never been very active, I expect they soon will be much more so.

Know that Downtown Dallas, from Central Expressway to Stemmons on the west to just above downtown to 20 on the south or almost that far sit on a sinkhole.

When an event over six strikes there, the limestone bedrock will fracture and the area will sink apporx. 250 feet straight down.
 Quoting: TheJohnwade
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 2667425
United States
05/06/2012 11:31 PM
Report Abusive Post
Re: Balcones Fault Line in Texas
I think it's water. In Mexico water tables crashed from so much use. But in TX, the drought probably evaporated the water tables instead. The same result, collapsing land, sinkholes, etc.

We already have big cracks in front yards of houses for sale, they go down about 3-4 inches. Allt he sidewalks and driveways are cracked and broken in my neighborhood and foundations too.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 4714791
United States
05/06/2012 11:32 PM
Report Abusive Post
bump

And pin.
Any idea how an event like that would affect the metroplex overall?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 15388632
United States
05/06/2012 11:40 PM
Report Abusive Post
over in ralls tx about 30 min northeast of lubbock, they had a small quake bout a year ago. snyder has had more than a dozen.
Anonymous Coward
United States
05/06/2012 11:47 PM
Report Abusive Post
bump
Anonymous Coward
United States
05/07/2012 12:05 AM
Report Abusive Post
over in ralls tx about 30 min northeast of lubbock, they had a small quake bout a year ago. snyder has had more than a dozen.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 15388632

No telling how the fracking is messing with things all over the country.

When you add in all of the natural faultlines - known and unknown or now 'disappeared' - and then all of the river diversions done a century or so ago - (think "Brother Where Art Thou"\New Orleans around every major city) - and the crumbling infrastructure of America ...

They planned it.

F*@& the Fr33m@$on$.

bricks
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 15413555
United States
05/07/2012 12:17 AM
Report Abusive Post
that would be for the betterment of humans if that Shit-Hole DALLAS sunk!
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 15582916

+1
ceawaves

User ID: 15150828
Germany
05/07/2012 12:27 AM
Report Abusive Post

When you add in all of the natural faultlines - known and unknown or now 'disappeared' - and then all of the river diversions done a century or so ago - (think "Brother Where Art Thou"\New Orleans around every major city) - and the crumbling infrastructure of America ...

They planned it.

F*@& the Fr33m@$on$.

bricks
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 4714791

================================== ^^^ about the same thoughts on the subject..
Could be going on all over the country, not just in Texas. Everything's shifting and swaying..
Anonymous Coward
United States
05/07/2012 12:37 AM
Report Abusive Post
the entire u.s. could be split.
Anonymous Coward
United States
05/07/2012 12:45 AM
Report Abusive Post
the entire u.s. could be split.

gasp
Topaz

User ID: 14208174
United States
05/07/2012 01:52 AM
Report Abusive Post
And guess what .... there's actually an extinct VOLCANO on the outskirts of Austin, Texas; called PILOT KNOB !

Most people don't know that the field of extinct volcanoes across New Mexico (the "Volcano" State = the only place in the world with every type of volcano known) also extended a bit southwest into Texas & down towards Mexico across the far western regions into Central Plains ... the ones that are easy to see are these -- info is per Wiki:

5 of the better known extinct volcanoes in Texas
1. Pilot knob - Austin Texas
2. Paisano Volcano (Fort Davis)
3. Burro Mesa (Big Bend national Park)
4. Sierra Quemada (Big Bend national Park)
5. Buckhorn Caldera (Fort Davis)

There are actually more than 70 volcanoes identified in Texas so far & have read studies that there are also some clusters that are underwater along the coastal areas south of Houston (somewhere saw threads likely here or ??/ that these volcanoes along Gulf Coast area may have played a role in the BP oil disaster in some way (?).... dont' recall exact info now).

See Wiki for more on the Texas + Volcanoes here:

[link to en.wikipedia.org]

OP is right to post this thread as people better start thinking about all sorts of things that could really go haywire in their area , like without any prior notice, as lots of weird stuff is going on bigtime !! We in Texas are definitely seeing earthchanges activity all over the place and that is in addition to all the terrible effects from the bad drought past 18 months now improving in some areas but not all however.

And yes, also feel huge sadness that the horrific & idiotic Shale FRACKING industry is going to ultimately finish us ALL off = people + animals of earth ... that, along with the BP disaster, the terrifying situation still ongoing @ Fukushima, etc etc = long list ---> TEOTWAWKI ??? )

One of the best, but also a dangerous place, to actually experience going way down into that crack = the Balcones Fault line, near Austin, is to take the tour down into the "WONDER CAVE" at San Marcos. Note: you have to climb down through a crack into the crack and it is not easy task so only really fit people should this! And please, please do NOT take babies or any smaller children or actually anyone that is infirm (can't walk very well or gets dizzy easy, weak, etc) as there are big, deep cracks going way down into the earth all along the narrow pathway ... just one wrong step or stumble & the person will fall down into the crevice!!! Not kidding here - we had a close call in our group while in there on guided tour ... very scary when a boy about age of 10 almost fell off into one of the cracks and somebody caught him in nick of time! I will never ever go down in there again as had no idea of what we were getting into as other tours elsewhere had been more like real big caverns with nice walkways fenced off and pretty lights, etc... but this was way different -- the group was actually taken down a steep tunnel access then each one had to go through a narrow crack very far down in the earth itself and lower the body down to the bottom ... it was so freaky it's hard to describe.

[link to en.wikipedia.org]

Last Edited by Topaz on 05/07/2012 02:14 AM
smoelike
User ID: 1227939
United States
05/07/2012 01:53 AM
Report Abusive Post
I saw Balcone's Fault back in 1974. They opened for The Rocky Horror Picture Show at the Roxy in Los Angeles. I thought they were good.
A.D. vesper
User ID: 15654585
United States
05/07/2012 01:58 AM
Report Abusive Post
The nobody went to college in San Marcos. 5 ecozones converge. Very special place. A river runs through it.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
05/07/2012 02:12 AM
Report Abusive Post
I think it's water. In Mexico water tables crashed from so much use. But in TX, the drought probably evaporated the water tables instead. The same result, collapsing land, sinkholes, etc.

We already have big cracks in front yards of houses for sale, they go down about 3-4 inches. Allt he sidewalks and driveways are cracked and broken in my neighborhood and foundations too.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 2667425

Very valid point there, about the drought's effects.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
05/07/2012 02:15 AM
Report Abusive Post
bump

And pin.
Any idea how an event like that would affect the metroplex overall?

Are you in the DFW metro?

We've had some very minor EQs here in the recent past, but those who've known about them attributed them to the heavy gas drilling in the area.

But now I wonder . . . ?

As I'm just learning about the Balcones, I don't know what the impact could be, but I found the older post by "TheJohnwade" from the other thread to be very interesting - if true.

Might look around and see if I can find any literature on possible theories about how serious an impact this fault line could have.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
05/07/2012 02:17 AM
Report Abusive Post
Herff Ranch, no friend of the Nobody anymore. Frost you also. Iwas we were betrayed by all of you. ...I HOPE THE OAK WILT AND DROUGHT COLLAPSES YOUR DREAM JUST AS YOU DESTROYED OUR. OH YEAH, AND THE Harts. And Pace. I dont like your hotsauce any f ing way. w
 Quoting: A.D. vesper 15637224

Well, uh, thank you for your contribution of a completely unstructured, rambling post.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
05/07/2012 02:19 AM
Report Abusive Post

They planned it.

F*@& the Fr33m@$on$.

bricks

Yes, and the area around the DFW metro has had, I think, the greatest number of gas wells drilled anywhere in the state.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
05/07/2012 02:20 AM
Report Abusive Post
that would be for the betterment of humans if that Shit-Hole DALLAS sunk!
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 15582916

I'm in the metro, but I am NO fan of Dallas.
A.D. vesper
User ID: 15654585
United States
05/07/2012 02:24 AM
Report Abusive Post
Herff Ranch, no friend of the Nobody anymore. Frost you also. Iwas we were betrayed by all of you. ...I HOPE THE OAK WILT AND DROUGHT COLLAPSES YOUR DREAM JUST AS YOU DESTROYED OUR. OH YEAH, AND THE Harts. And Pace. I dont like your hotsauce any f ing way. w

Well, uh, thank you for your contribution of a completely unstructured, rambling post.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 15647210

You are blind and rude. The world has enough of that already. Is this a private forum/post?
Thanks for calling attention to me and yourself. Mad are we, broyoda?
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
05/07/2012 02:31 AM
Report Abusive Post
And guess what .... there's actually an extinct VOLCANO on the outskirts of Austin, Texas; called PILOT KNOB !

Most people don't know that the field of extinct volcanoes across New Mexico (the "Volcano" State = the only place in the world with every type of volcano known) also extended a bit southwest into Texas & down towards Mexico across the far western regions into Central Plains ... the ones that are easy to see are these -- info is per Wiki:

There are actually more than 70 volcanoes identified in Texas so far & have read studies that there are also some clusters that are underwater along the coastal areas south of Houston (somewhere saw threads likely here or ??/ that these volcanoes along Gulf Coast area may have played a role in the BP oil disaster in some way (?).... dont' recall exact info now).
 Quoting: Topaz

Topaz -

Thank you for posting this very interesting information!

I am learning a lot about Texas that I didn't know, even though I'm a native!

Had no idea about the extinct volcanoes.

OP is right to post this thread as people better start thinking about all sorts of things that could really go haywire in their area , like without any prior notice, as lots of weird stuff is going on bigtime !! We in Texas are definitely seeing earthchanges activity all over the place and that is in addition to all the terrible effects from the bad drought past 18 months now improving in some areas but not all however.

And yes, also feel huge sadness that the horrific & idiotic Shale FRACKING industry is going to ultimately finish us ALL off = people + animals of earth ... that, along with the BP disaster, the terrifying situation still ongoing @ Fukushima, etc etc = long list ---> TEOTWAWKI ??? )

Yes, Texas has sure had some rough times recently. The drought was terrible, so sad for animals and property owners.

The weather is very weird these days, warm winter, plants blooming several weeks early, summer temps in May, etc.

In this area, there are gas wells all over the place - at one point, you could look in any direction and see the rigs. Now, there are huge pipelines running everywhere. They put in two very large ones behind our property shortly after we bought our house - the builder did not disclose that information even though they had to know it was going to be done.

I've done a lot of research and there are several groups that have organized because of the major health and environmental concerns by residents of the county.

One of the best, but also a dangerous place, to actually experience going way down into that crack = the Balcones Fault line, near Austin, is to take the tour down into the "WONDER CAVE" at San Marcos. Note: you have to climb down through a crack into the crack and it is not easy task so only really fit people should this! And please, please do NOT take babies or any smaller children or actually anyone that is infirm (can't walk very well or gets dizzy easy, weak, etc) as there are big, deep cracks going way down into the earth all along the narrow pathway ... just one wrong step or stumble & the person will fall down into the crevice!!! Not kidding here - we had a close call in our group while in there on guided tour ... very scary when a boy about age of 10 almost fell off into one of the cracks and somebody caught him in nick of time! I will never ever go down in there again as had no idea of what we were getting into as other tours elsewhere had been more like real big caverns with nice walkways fenced off and pretty lights, etc... but this was way different -- the group was actually taken down a steep tunnel access then each one had to go through a narrow crack very far down in the earth itself and lower the body down to the bottom ... it was so freaky it's hard to describe.

Oh wow, that is SO creepy. NO WAY would I do that. When I was a kid, we went to Carlsbad Cavern and I remember the "bottomless pit" - omg.

I would never again go into a cave, just too frightening.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
05/07/2012 02:33 AM
Report Abusive Post

You are blind and rude. The world has enough of that already. Is this a private forum/post?
Thanks for calling attention to me and yourself. Mad are we, bro
 Quoting: A.D. vesper 15654585

Hey dude, calm down, I'm not rude.

But your post made zero sense!

If you want to clarify, you are more than welcome to on this very public thread posted as a means of information about the fault line.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
05/07/2012 02:41 AM
Report Abusive Post
For folks in the DFW metro:

During the past year:

Cleburne
Mesquite
Mansfield
Arlington
Euless
Farmers Branch
Midlothian
Waxahachie

[link to earthquaketrack.com]
Topaz

United States
05/07/2012 03:02 AM
Report Abusive Post
Just went back & read this thread over again >> slow & thorough + looked at the SMU link, studied it good too...

Man, this is some really freaky stuff here being talked about ... am now realizing even more than ever how the shale fracking process is actually more like the evil forces at work while pretending to benefit humanity with 'new' forms of energy production. But what they are really doing is creating means by which to bring about the total destruction of our natural world in every way possible = kill mother earth = kill the divine creation YIKES!

And the destructive fracking = fissuring & creating crevices far deep down below the soil is in itself like lighting the fuse to something that could truly result in creating vast shifting and literally split places apart, trigger things in ways that could really be vast disasters beyond any remediation ... how are we to know !??!

Also consider how each well can have hundreds of cracks going ever which-a-way for miles and also extending deeper into lower levels of strata + actually change the flow of groundwater into areas like uranium rock. In places west of Dallas where most all the drilling in that region is ongoing, the water wells are showing up with RADIOACTIVE WATER [do search keywords: radioactive wells texas" = on google or bing ) + there are spills from all the tanker trucks and site leaks and it is totally crazy stuff happening:

Barnett Shale Radioactive Waste is Carcinogenic and has a 1,622 Year Half-Life
[link to www.texaskaos.net]

Then there's all the raw methane that's being released into the soil itself underground then bubbling up into rivers & lakes, stock tanks + the local atmosphere [[the air we all breath to stay *ALIVE*]] due to leakage along pipes, @ drill sites & processing plants ( springing up like weeds all over the countryside).

Not only here but these things happening in other states too, of course. The local news in DFW reports recently that CHINA has already been allowed to buy much of the drilling rights across the entire southern half of Texas and now they been meeting in Fort Worth in past month to make deals around that area of DFW for gaining a foothold in the region of Barnett Shale - west of Dallas (HOLY SH!T !! ]]

Let me get this right: not only the O on the throne but also Congress & Texas Gov Perry & all their cohorts are in cahoots for letting one of the U.S. sworn enemies who is against all human rights and freedom (= Communist China government = military), to come in to this nation & gain control over the resources on & in our lands to obtain desired products = gas that is being extracted via methods that are or will eventually sicken/kill-off the American citizens. Meanwhile, the Chinese will use this gas or sell / give it to whomever they please ,,,, omg!

And then there's what they're also doing to our water -- injecting the poison sludge water down into ground not only here in Texas but secretly buying up land in surrounding states and trucking it to hidden, illegal, injections wells to offload it into local water streams deep underground ... ugghhhhh, felt sudden shudder of cold chills go down spine; GOD HELP US ! lookin' that we all be up sh!t creek fer sure!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 15660910
United States
05/07/2012 03:30 AM
Report Abusive Post
Just went back & read this thread over again >> slow & thorough + looked at the SMU link, studied it good too...

Man, this is some really freaky stuff here being talked about ... am now realizing even more than ever how the shale fracking process is actually more like the evil forces at work while pretending to benefit humanity with 'new' forms of energy production. But what they are really doing is creating means by which to bring about the total destruction of our natural world in every way possible = kill mother earth = kill the divine creation YIKES!

And the destructive fracking = fissuring & creating crevices far deep down below the soil is in itself like lighting the fuse to something that could truly result in creating vast shifting and literally split places apart, trigger things in ways that could really be vast disasters beyond any remediation ... how are we to know !??!

Also consider how each well can have hundreds of cracks going ever which-a-way for miles and also extending deeper into lower levels of strata + actually change the flow of groundwater into areas like uranium rock. In places west of Dallas where most all the drilling in that region is ongoing, the water wells are showing up with RADIOACTIVE WATER [do search keywords: radioactive wells texas" = on google or bing ) + there are spills from all the tanker trucks and site leaks and it is totally crazy stuff happening:

Barnett Shale Radioactive Waste is Carcinogenic and has a 1,622 Year Half-Life
[link to www.texaskaos.net]

Then there's all the raw methane that's being released into the soil itself underground then bubbling up into rivers & lakes, stock tanks + the local atmosphere [[the air we all breath to stay *ALIVE*]] due to leakage along pipes, @ drill sites & processing plants ( springing up like weeds all over the countryside).

Not only here but these things happening in other states too, of course. The local news in DFW reports recently that CHINA has already been allowed to buy much of the drilling rights across the entire southern half of Texas and now they been meeting in Fort Worth in past month to make deals around that area of DFW for gaining a foothold in the region of Barnett Shale - west of Dallas (HOLY SH!T !! ]]

Let me get this right: not only the O on the throne but also Congress & Texas Gov Perry & all their cohorts are in cahoots for letting one of the U.S. sworn enemies who is against all human rights and freedom (= Communist China government = military), to come in to this nation & gain control over the resources on & in our lands to obtain desired products = gas that is being extracted via methods that are or will eventually sicken/kill-off the American citizens. Meanwhile, the Chinese will use this gas or sell / give it to whomever they please ,,,, omg!

And then there's what they're also doing to our water -- injecting the poison sludge water down into ground not only here in Texas but secretly buying up land in surrounding states and trucking it to hidden, illegal, injections wells to offload it into local water streams deep underground ... ugghhhhh, felt sudden shudder of cold chills go down spine; GOD HELP US ! lookin' that we all be up sh!t creek fer sure!

Wow, more very important info, thanks Topaz!

Ok, first . . .

Yes, fracking is something that many people don't know about or understand. But I strongly advise everyone, especially residents of the DFW metro area, specifically those in Tarrant county, to read, read, read and learn about fracking and gas drilling.

Now we add to this the Balcones, which has been inactive, but . . . ??

On the issue of methane, did you hear about the property owners out in Parker County who had the EPA come out - they found that the water coming from their garden hoses is FLAMMABLE! How common might that be around the area, and people are not aware of it? Very disturbing!

I did NOT know about the China deal . . . everyone should know more about this.

Yes. We have been sold out. Big time.

Here are some local links:

[link to startelegraph.blogspot.com]

[link to dfwregionalconcernedcitizens.blogspot.com]

[link to www.fwcando.org]
~fish out of water~

User ID: 6383062
United States
05/07/2012 03:41 AM

Report Abusive Post
I posted this in the other thread, thought I'd post here as well to aggregate the info in one place- especially since I live about 1 mile from I-35 and I must be sitting right on top of that Balcones Fault Line:

Underground drillinghiding
 Quoting: Awakened In Christ

Or maybe the Balcones Fault zone is becoming active.

Last night was a very wierd thunderstorm in Austin - cloud to cloud lightening. It was very beautufil to watch. Totally strange, however, was the fact that there was a 5 second pause between lightening straight above your head and the crack of thunder, suggesting very high altitude static discharges. Couples with vibrating ground.... HARRP?
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1488678

That thunderstorm was wild last night. I have not experienced a storm like that in some time - kicked my garden's ass with the wild, strong wind. I appreciated the rain though, so I'm not complaining.

I live in SE Austin, and I've heard strange sounds over the past six months on three seperate occasions. They seem to be originating from the southeast, and my boyfriend heard them on one occasion as well, so I know I'm not crazy.

They're not overwhelmingly loud, and they're not like the sounds you hear on the youtube videos. It's more like... well, the closest thing I could compare it to is the sound of something hollow being dragged over rocks. Maybe like a large fiberglass boat or huge plastic container being dragged over river rock. It's definitely not a metallic sound, but it is very rumbly and deep sounding, and tends to go on for 15-30 minutes intermittently.

All I can say is that the Edwards Aquifer is HUGE and most of Austin is over it. I pray that it does not collapse in places, creating sinkholes.
 Quoting: ~fish out of water~

Thread: Vibrating Houses in Texas has people scratching their heads. (Page 2)

The thing that was odd was that someone else in that thread who lives SE of Austin hears the same sound I do.

Not sure what to make of it, not sure I like the possible implications. Anyway, great thread.

Last Edited by ~fish out of water~ on 05/07/2012 03:42 AM
Topaz

United States
05/07/2012 03:44 AM
Report Abusive Post

Topaz - Thank you for posting this very interesting information!

I am learning a lot about Texas that I didn't know, even though I'm a native!

Had no idea about the extinct volcanoes.
Yes, Texas has sure had some rough times recently. The drought was terrible, so sad for animals and property owners.

The weather is very weird these days, warm winter, plants blooming several weeks early, summer temps in May, etc.

In this area, there are gas wells all over the place - at one point, you could look in any direction and see the rigs. Now, there are huge pipelines running everywhere. They put in two very large ones behind our property shortly after we bought our house - the builder did not disclose that information even though they had to know it was going to be done.

I've done a lot of research and there are several groups that have organized because of the major health and environmental concerns by residents of the county.

=============================
You are most welcome OP & any others that really want to know about things... was raised up just west of DFW in the Parker ranchlands where all the drillings' going on now and it is like a nightmare to see how our beautiful countryside has turned into hell-world all around here (and do mean HELL too --> like in a greased handbasket shot down an injection well!).

Anybody around these parts in DFW area should take a little trip going south from Weatherford to Cleburne as that's where your mind will be totally blown away ... as that town has been transformed into a miniature version of **"Texas City"** with dozens of gas processing stations all over the place !!! The smaller gas units seen around Aledo and other little areas are simply compressor stations that then send the gas down thru bigger pipelines to Cleburne for processing.

Also know that Fort Worth is the first big city in USA to allow drilling inside the city itself now + even in neighborhoods. Wherever there are fracking well sites put in, then there are going to be pipelines & then things get even more scary as you don't realize that all little pipelines feed into larger ones and that those are along the streets & parks, even by playgrounds at schools. And a big pipeline can blow up about 4-6 blocks all directions = nothing left, everybody dead .... remember that one neighborhood in California about year or 2 ago ????

Truly, everyone needs to see this presentation linked below --> it really explains lots about gas pipelines (relates to the drilling too) to help understand all the dangers & how having all this around any town or city areas with homes, schools, hospitals right next to the well sites is INSANITY !

Download the "State of Natural Gas Pipelines in Fort Worth" report. (9.5MB)
[link to www.fwlna.org]

** Anyone that's ever been down to Houston then drove down south of the city past NASA's JSC area on towards Galveston Island along I-45 south knows exactly what the term "Texas City" means as it is miles & miles of oil refineries & chemical plants one after another along the Houston Ship Channel; that is one of the largest oil tanker ports in the world I think ...

The various oil processing plants also stretch along the coastline too - including all the gasoline producers - and chemical factories too,,, they have even more facilities that go all the way along the Gulf Coast from that Houston region eastwards into Louisiana's coast almost to New Orleans. A person can only understand the true significance and how vast is this conglomerate by not only taking a trip to view it all but also by studying up on that region (and most everybody in USA is clueless about all this except those ones that live/work in that area or industry)...

Anyhow, time to hit the hay ... plz keep this thread going all this week if possible as feel that we really do need to brainstorm much of what's being shared here & connect some dots asap!

Blessings & Prayers for Divine Intervention !
OM AH HO - HRIH

Last Edited by Topaz on 05/07/2012 03:51 AM
Anonymous Coward
United States
05/07/2012 03:52 AM
Report Abusive Post
I posted this in the other thread, thought I'd post here as well to aggregate the info in one place- especially since I live about 1 mile from I-35 and I must be sitting right on top of that Balcones Fault Line:

Underground drillinghiding
 Quoting: Awakened In Christ

Or maybe the Balcones Fault zone is becoming active.

Last night was a very wierd thunderstorm in Austin - cloud to cloud lightening. It was very beautufil to watch. Totally strange, however, was the fact that there was a 5 second pause between lightening straight above your head and the crack of thunder, suggesting very high altitude static discharges. Couples with vibrating ground.... HARRP?
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1488678

That thunderstorm was wild last night. I have not experienced a storm like that in some time - kicked my garden's ass with the wild, strong wind. I appreciated the rain though, so I'm not complaining.

I live in SE Austin, and I've heard strange sounds over the past six months on three seperate occasions. They seem to be originating from the southeast, and my boyfriend heard them on one occasion as well, so I know I'm not crazy.

They're not overwhelmingly loud, and they're not like the sounds you hear on the youtube videos. It's more like... well, the closest thing I could compare it to is the sound of something hollow being dragged over rocks. Maybe like a large fiberglass boat or huge plastic container being dragged over river rock. It's definitely not a metallic sound, but it is very rumbly and deep sounding, and tends to go on for 15-30 minutes intermittently.

All I can say is that the Edwards Aquifer is HUGE and most of Austin is over it. I pray that it does not collapse in places, creating sinkholes.

Thread: Vibrating Houses in Texas has people scratching their heads. (Page 2)

The thing that was odd was that someone else in that thread who lives SE of Austin hears the same sound I do.

Not sure what to make of it, not sure I like the possible implications. Anyway, great thread.

Hi, yes, that thread is what piqued my interest about the Balcones, based on your mention of the aquifer, and then you posted the link about Balcones - glad you did because this is new info to me. I had commented on your post because I thought your description of the sound was wild . . . like a boat or plastic being dragged over rocks!

Thanks
for moving your post over here - so this thread can more specifically focus on the fault line - and gas drilling, as that is for sure a huge factor in the topic of the Balcones.
Anonymous Coward
United States
05/07/2012 03:58 AM
Report Abusive Post
You are most welcome OP & any others that really want to know about things... was raised up just west of DFW in the Parker ranchlands where all the drillings' going on now and it is like a nightmare to see how our beautiful countryside has turned into hell-world all around here (and do mean HELL too --> like in a greased handbasket shot down an injection well!).

Anybody around these parts in DFW area should take a little trip going south from Weatherford to Cleburne as that's where your mind will be totally blown away ... as that town has been transformed into a miniature version of **"Texas City"** with dozens of gas processing stations all over the place !!! The smaller gas units seen around Aledo and other little areas are simply compressor stations that then send the gas down thru bigger pipelines to Cleburne for processing.

Also know that Fort Worth is the first big city in USA to allow drilling inside the city itself now + even in neighborhoods. Wherever there are fracking well sites put in, then there are going to be pipelines & then things get even more scary as you don't realize that all little pipelines feed into larger ones and that those are along the streets & parks, even by playgrounds at schools. And a big pipeline can blow up about 4-6 blocks all directions = nothing left, everybody dead .... remember that one neighborhood in California about year or 2 ago ????

Truly, everyone needs to see this presentation linked below --> it really explains lots about gas pipelines (relates to the drilling too) to help understand all the dangers & how having all this around any town or city areas with homes, schools, hospitals right next to the well sites is INSANITY !

Download the "State of Natural Gas Pipelines in Fort Worth" report. (9.5MB)
[link to www.fwlna.org]

** Anyone that's ever been down to Houston then drove down south of the city past NASA's JSC area on towards Galveston Island along I-45 south knows exactly what the term "Texas City" means as it is miles & miles of oil refineries & chemical plants one after another along the Houston Ship Channel; that is one of the largest oil tanker ports in the world I think ...

The various oil processing plants also stretch along the coastline too - including all the gasoline producers - and chemical factories too,,, they have even more facilities that go all the way along the Gulf Coast from that Houston region eastwards into Louisiana's coast almost to New Orleans. A person can only understand the true significance and how vast is this conglomerate by not only taking a trip to view it all but also by studying up on that region (and most everybody in USA is clueless about all this except those ones that live/work in that area or industry)...

Anyhow, time to hit the hay ... plz keep this thread going all this week if possible as feel that we really do need to brainstorm much of what's being shared here & connect some dots asap!

Blessings & Prayers for Divine Intervention !
OM AH HO - HRIH

Once again, thanks for your contributions on this thread. Indeed, we'll try to keep this one active - do come back!

I used to live in Weatherford and yes, the entire area has changed - Parker and Tarrant counties have been permanently damaged by the drilling and who knows what the overall consequences may be in the near and distant future. More people need to get involved, become informed about what's gone on, and hopefully, to try and prevent any more damage, although that's not likely to happen. Big business and government tend to win out in these kinds of situations.

I encourage other posters here who live in the region to join in this thread and keep it active by posting info and links and opinions about everything related to the fault line and gas drilling.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 15683889
United States
05/07/2012 02:56 PM
Report Abusive Post
bump
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1578810
United States
05/07/2012 03:24 PM
Report Abusive Post
this was a quote from the USGS from one that happened some 20 miles from where i live.im in Navarro county.

Slight damage resulted from an earthquake in the Mexia - Wortham area on April 9, 1932. Loose bricks were thrown down, and some plaster cracked (V-VI). The shock was also felt at Coolidge, Currie, Groesbeck, Hillsboro, Teague, and Richland. A moderate earthquake affected an area of about 7700 square kilometers in northeastern Texas and an adjoining portion of Oklahoma on April 11, 1934. The tremor was most distinctly felt at Arthur City, Caviness, Chicota, Powderly, and Trout Switch (intensity V). Many persons who felt the shock reported having heard a roaring or rumbling noise. Two shocks were recognized by many observers.

[link to earthquake.usgs.gov]
Éireann

User ID: 15569543
United States
05/07/2012 03:42 PM
Report Abusive Post
And I found this interesting post on a past thread here at GLP:

The are three faults that run together, in a point, about a quarter mile north of Williams Square, in Irving. I used to have a map from the USGS but it's been removed on purpose.
The faults are The Quachita Thrust Front, The Balcones Fault, and the East Texas Uplift.

When the 5+ event struck Alpine, Tx in 1995, we felt it in Irving, as I lived and was at work that night. Though these have never been very active, I expect they soon will be much more so.

Know that Downtown Dallas, from Central Expressway to Stemmons on the west to just above downtown to 20 on the south or almost that far sit on a sinkhole.

When an event over six strikes there, the limestone bedrock will fracture and the area will sink apporx. 250 feet straight down.
 Quoting: TheJohnwade

1983. I was a Junior @ MacArthur HS in Irving, TX. I was in Government class in the afternoon and for just a second it felt like the room swayed. Next thing we know, we are looking at the World History class in the room next to ours. Most of the brick wall and fallen down. Thankfully, there were no students sitting that close to the wall on either side. Surprised the heck out of me and they said it was only a 3+ but it was shallow-ish.
Eireann~

I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. - Galatians 2:20

GLP