Balcones Fault Line in Texas

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 926562
Canada
05/07/2012 03:44 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: Balcones Fault Line in Texas
that would be for the betterment of humans if that Shit-Hole DALLAS sunk!
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 15582916

Fort Worthless much?
Éireann

User ID: 15569543
United States
05/07/2012 03:45 PM
Report Abusive Post
I think it's water. In Mexico water tables crashed from so much use. But in TX, the drought probably evaporated the water tables instead. The same result, collapsing land, sinkholes, etc.

We already have big cracks in front yards of houses for sale, they go down about 3-4 inches. Allt he sidewalks and driveways are cracked and broken in my neighborhood and foundations too.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 2667425

You should check out the ones we have at my folks' farm. They go down a foot or more.

Nasty business this drought.
Eireann~

I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. - Galatians 2:20
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 15672456
United States
05/07/2012 03:45 PM
Report Abusive Post
bump
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 11208970
United States
05/07/2012 03:46 PM
Report Abusive Post
Herff Ranch, no friend of the Nobody anymore. Frost you also. Iwas we were betrayed by all of you. ...I HOPE THE OAK WILT AND DROUGHT COLLAPSES YOUR DREAM JUST AS YOU DESTROYED OUR. OH YEAH, AND THE Harts. And Pace. I dont like your hotsauce any f ing way. w
 Quoting: A.D. vesper 15637224

Yeah, and "NOBODY" cares.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 11208970
United States
05/07/2012 03:46 PM
Report Abusive Post
There's been recent talk about the Balcones Fault Line in Texas, which many people don't know about, while others believe it's showing signs of activity.

The Balcones Fault Line runs along the I-35 corridor from Waco through Austin and past San Antonio. West of the line, lies the Hill Country. East of the lines, are the Texas Coastal Plains. There are hundreds of those fault lines splitting out from the main one running East.

Here's a map showing the fault line:

[link to geology.heroy.smu.edu]

And I found this interesting post on a past thread here at GLP:

The are three faults that run together, in a point, about a quarter mile north of Williams Square, in Irving. I used to have a map from the USGS but it's been removed on purpose.
The faults are The Quachita Thrust Front, The Balcones Fault, and the East Texas Uplift.

When the 5+ event struck Alpine, Tx in 1995, we felt it in Irving, as I lived and was at work that night. Though these have never been very active, I expect they soon will be much more so.

Know that Downtown Dallas, from Central Expressway to Stemmons on the west to just above downtown to 20 on the south or almost that far sit on a sinkhole.

When an event over six strikes there, the limestone bedrock will fracture and the area will sink apporx. 250 feet straight down.
 Quoting: TheJohnwade

Quoting: Anonymous Coward 15647210

bump

Nice thread OP.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 15685636
United States
05/07/2012 08:32 PM
Report Abusive Post
this was a quote from the USGS from one that happened some 20 miles from where i live.im in Navarro county.

Slight damage resulted from an earthquake in the Mexia - Wortham area on April 9, 1932. Loose bricks were thrown down, and some plaster cracked (V-VI). The shock was also felt at Coolidge, Currie, Groesbeck, Hillsboro, Teague, and Richland. A moderate earthquake affected an area of about 7700 square kilometers in northeastern Texas and an adjoining portion of Oklahoma on April 11, 1934. The tremor was most distinctly felt at Arthur City, Caviness, Chicota, Powderly, and Trout Switch (intensity V). Many persons who felt the shock reported having heard a roaring or rumbling noise. Two shocks were recognized by many observers.

[link to earthquake.usgs.gov]
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1578810

Thanks for that post.
Anonymous Coward
United States
05/07/2012 08:33 PM
Report Abusive Post
I think it's water. In Mexico water tables crashed from so much use. But in TX, the drought probably evaporated the water tables instead. The same result, collapsing land, sinkholes, etc.

We already have big cracks in front yards of houses for sale, they go down about 3-4 inches. Allt he sidewalks and driveways are cracked and broken in my neighborhood and foundations too.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 2667425

You should check out the ones we have at my folks' farm. They go down a foot or more.

Nasty business this drought.
 Quoting: Éireann

Yeah, the impact has been devastating . . . lot of people wondering about the upcoming summer.
Anonymous Coward
United States
05/07/2012 08:34 PM
Report Abusive Post
There's been recent talk about the Balcones Fault Line in Texas, which many people don't know about, while others believe it's showing signs of activity.

The Balcones Fault Line runs along the I-35 corridor from Waco through Austin and past San Antonio. West of the line, lies the Hill Country. East of the lines, are the Texas Coastal Plains. There are hundreds of those fault lines splitting out from the main one running East.

Here's a map showing the fault line:

[link to geology.heroy.smu.edu]

And I found this interesting post on a past thread here at GLP:

The are three faults that run together, in a point, about a quarter mile north of Williams Square, in Irving. I used to have a map from the USGS but it's been removed on purpose.
The faults are The Quachita Thrust Front, The Balcones Fault, and the East Texas Uplift.

When the 5+ event struck Alpine, Tx in 1995, we felt it in Irving, as I lived and was at work that night. Though these have never been very active, I expect they soon will be much more so.

Know that Downtown Dallas, from Central Expressway to Stemmons on the west to just above downtown to 20 on the south or almost that far sit on a sinkhole.

When an event over six strikes there, the limestone bedrock will fracture and the area will sink apporx. 250 feet straight down.
 Quoting: TheJohnwade

Quoting: Anonymous Coward 15647210

bump

Nice thread OP.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 11208970

Thanks!

If you have info or opinions, feel free to share.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 4714791
United States
05/09/2012 10:12 PM
Report Abusive Post
bump
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 4714791
United States
05/12/2012 05:11 PM
Report Abusive Post
the entire u.s. could be split.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 15388632

Does anyone know how closely the proposed Keystone XL pipeline parallels or crosses faultlines or subduction zones?

oil
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 9672392
United States
05/21/2012 04:01 AM
Report Abusive Post
Timpson has had 3 siesmic incidents since May 10th. I do remember the quake in 95, was in college in Brownwood. Felt tremors Easter weekend
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 17238907
United States
06/29/2012 04:31 AM
Report Abusive Post
I did a three part paper in college on the fracking being done in north Texas in the year 2007.

I immediatly raised concern about the dissplacement of wild life....
But this all towers of my original concerns about wild life.

My grandma told me of a city in south Texas that was evacuated many years ago, because drilling caused disaster. Will update on name of city soon.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 18845645
United States
07/03/2012 08:51 PM
Report Abusive Post
bump
lolsociety
User ID: 32908666
United States
02/07/2013 11:24 PM
Report Abusive Post
Bumping this thread. On the Wikipedia page for the Balconies Fault line it says it was recorded active, a 3.0 quake in Irving two weeks ago. Two or three days ago a coworker and I felt our building on the MoPac in Austin.
TheJohnwade
User ID: 37838404
United States
04/14/2013 01:09 PM
Report Abusive Post
thanks for feedback. Last fair sized quake on Balcones was near Waco and did some damage. Probability is the too much oil was pumped from Odessa area, has been for years. Think quake is overdue for Dallas area. Have checked on Fault that goes through Irving. It runs all the way into Canada. You can look it up on the net though you don't hear anything about it. I believe it to be connected to New Madrid at some point.
Also keeping check on events around Pampa, Tx as well.
Fact: number of events have been increasing since 95' as well as average size. that's why you won't find records on USGS site. They're scared, as they should be.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 48840745
United States
12/27/2013 09:08 PM
Report Abusive Post
bump

Too much weirdness lately ... in & around Dallas TEXAS area = ongoing & frequent Earthquakes here in these parts when really never much before in history.

Also,, huge Booms being heard, crazy weather, severe drought for past decade - water shortages ... and does anyone remember the Stephenville UFO fleet that showed up on the Joint Reserve base (ex-SAC CARSWELL) radar a few years ago .... ???

Now this week seeing threads with reports about volcanoes firing up and worries / warnings about New Madrid + Canary Islands + Yellowstone + lots other stuff too.

BE AWARE BE ALERT BE PREPARED !!!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 50725433
United States
12/27/2013 09:31 PM
Report Abusive Post
San marcos is the longest inhabited city in the us. I think were safe :p
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 38408015
United States
01/06/2015 10:28 PM
Report Abusive Post
Last paragraph.

[link to books.google.com (secure)]
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 55848021
United States
01/06/2015 11:35 PM
Report Abusive Post
San marcos is the longest inhabited city in the us. I think were safe :p
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 50725433

The San Marcos River is spring fed.... doing fine.

Nice 2015 bump to a 2012 thread. Awesome.

But nothing about the Llano Uplift? The Llano Uplift is responsible for the largest rock on Ea
trdahdahfrackinnonsen​se
User ID: 1273265
United States
01/06/2015 11:58 PM
Report Abusive Post
over in ralls tx about 30 min northeast of lubbock, they had a small quake bout a year ago. snyder has had more than a dozen.

No telling how the fracking is messing with things all over the country.

When you add in all of the natural faultlines - known and unknown or now 'disappeared' - and then all of the river diversions done a century or so ago - (think "Brother Where Art Thou"\New Orleans around every major city) - and the crumbling infrastructure of America ...

They planned it.

F*@& the Fr33m@$on$.

bricks
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 4714791

You are a frackin idiot...fracking does not cause earthquakes moran any more than simple contrails from engines at high altitudes are GD "chemtrails". Get educated then post where people can see your nonsense.
Truth teller
User ID: 42163838
United States
01/11/2015 10:56 PM
Report Abusive Post
bsflagAll this talk of this fault line is a diversion from the real issue... Before fracking began here, north Texas is listed at the lowest risk level for seismic activity on this map: [link to earthquake.usgs.gov]
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 58042895
United States
01/11/2015 11:12 PM
Report Abusive Post
i live in west dallas near irving, and we had another tremor this evening. Lived here my whole life and this activity has never happened before
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 2028454
United States
01/11/2015 11:17 PM
Report Abusive Post
I'm in San Antonio wtf
is it gonna blow ?
hiding
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 66615652
France
01/11/2015 11:18 PM
Report Abusive Post
And guess what .... there's actually an extinct VOLCANO on the outskirts of Austin, Texas; called PILOT KNOB !

Most people don't know that the field of extinct volcanoes across New Mexico (the "Volcano" State = the only place in the world with every type of volcano known) also extended a bit southwest into Texas & down towards Mexico across the far western regions into Central Plains ... the ones that are easy to see are these -- info is per Wiki:

5 of the better known extinct volcanoes in Texas
1. Pilot knob - Austin Texas
2. Paisano Volcano (Fort Davis)
3. Burro Mesa (Big Bend national Park)
4. Sierra Quemada (Big Bend national Park)
5. Buckhorn Caldera (Fort Davis)

There are actually more than 70 volcanoes identified in Texas so far & have read studies that there are also some clusters that are underwater along the coastal areas south of Houston (somewhere saw threads likely here or ??/ that these volcanoes along Gulf Coast area may have played a role in the BP oil disaster in some way (?).... dont' recall exact info now).

Quoting: Topaz

Ffs.
They are classed as extinct for a reason, pilot know last erupted around 79 million years ago. Do you know what that means??? the hotspot that once fuelled the volcanoes in Texas is no longer there! think plate movements.

putin
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 51083124
United States
01/11/2015 11:27 PM
Report Abusive Post
over in ralls tx about 30 min northeast of lubbock, they had a small quake bout a year ago. snyder has had more than a dozen.

No telling how the fracking is messing with things all over the country.

When you add in all of the natural faultlines - known and unknown or now 'disappeared' - and then all of the river diversions done a century or so ago - (think "Brother Where Art Thou"\New Orleans around every major city) - and the crumbling infrastructure of America ...

They planned it.

F*@& the Fr33m@$on$.

bricks
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 4714791

You are a frackin idiot...fracking does not cause earthquakes moran any more than simple contrails from engines at high altitudes are GD "chemtrails". Get educated then post where people can see your nonsense.
 Quoting: trdahdahfrackinnonsense 1273265

Ha! SHILL-TASTIC.

GLP