I agree too. What happened?
Tiamat2012

User ID: 1314013
United States
07/20/2012 08:04 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: SyFy channel sucks now
X-files was the best show that they used to have. You can't find that show on any channel anymore, at least it's on Netflix instant stream tho.
Mwalk
Low Earth Orbit

User ID: 1067150
United States
07/20/2012 08:10 PM

Report Abusive Post
stupid low budget movies with stupid ending , booooring
 Quoting: 12.21.12

These "movies' you speak of stand out like a sore thumb, i did a thread about that a while back, something like big boobs, bad acting and loads of sacrifice, syfy's new approach to movie making. The only thing missing from the bad acting is Justin Timberflake...
“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.”
Anonymous Coward (OP)
User ID: 19168269
United States
07/20/2012 08:12 PM
Report Abusive Post
Yup. It has gone shitty now. It was great when they had Starlight, Battlestar Galactic, etc. Now, what do they have worth watching?
 Quoting: AlcoholicRunner

The WWE, of course. Just kidding. If the people at SyFy were smart, they would partner up with GLP and create a weekly "news" program based on GLP threads. Imagine the ratings that show would get especially when people are following threads like "Something just went BEZERK in the Gulf of Mexico..." People all over the world would be tuning in for those news updates. The beauty of it is that the program could put a synopsis of really long threads and condense them into a few minutes of news. I would be willing to bet that GLP News on SyFy would get better ratings than anything on CNN.

People at SyFy, are you listening? Of course not.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 19168269

Now THAT's a top idea. It was one of the scenarios we discussed actually. That the whole deal was a script in the making. We uncovered all this stuff, and realised it was the research for FRINGE! LOL. (the stuff we uncovered, not the thread - that's still an on going process)

I used to look on with envy here in Australia at the US SciFi channel, as our version was totally shit. Then we got pretty much all you guys got in the US.

Pretty dull. And it's not f'ing sci-fi!!! A lot of it is horror or fantasy.

Surely, with so much stuff to choose from -

Lost in Space, Land of the Giants, Captain Scarlet, Thunderbirds, U.F.O, Space Above and Beyond, Battlestar Galactica (old and new), Buck Rogers, The Tomorrow People, Dark Skies (not falling skies), Defying Gravity, Babylon 5, Survivors (not the game show), V (old and new), X-files, Farscape, Firefly, The Outer Limits, Time Tunnel, The Invaders, Quantum Leap, Heros, Sliders, Dark Angel, Andromeda, Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy, Quark, The 4400, BLAKE's 7, Space 1999, Roswell, Lexx, Earth 2, Millenium, Earth Final Conflict, Planet of the Apes, Taken, Aeon Flux, Primeval, Cruisade, In Search Of, Giant Robot, SeaQuest DSV, Battleship Yamato, Battle of the Planets, hell, even MacGyver!

- they could do a better mix.

I'm not even listing all the anime or old sci-fi cartoons.

Plus of course we have all the Star Treks etc.

They could pick up Dark Skies, Defying Gravity, Heroes right now and they'd be a success. (especially Defying Gravity, which pissed me off enough to write to them after they canned it.)

Oh, and Caprica. How could they can Caprica!!

[monitors blood pressure..]
 Quoting: BadHairDay

That's a pretty solid list right there. I thought the 4400 would find a new home at SyFy but, as usual, I was wrong. In Search Of is another one that should be on SyFy. That would make for a good new program, too. Dark Skies is an old favorite of mine, too. The new V series, while not as good as the original, I would say that it's still better than 90% of the shit that's on SyFy right now. Plus it has that fine-ass Morena Baccarin on it. I would watch just about anything with her on it.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
07/20/2012 08:17 PM
Report Abusive Post

These "movies' you speak of stand out like a sore thumb, i did a thread about that a while back, something like big boobs, bad acting and loads of sacrifice, syfy's new approach to movie making. The only thing missing from the bad acting is Justin Timberflake...
 Quoting: Mwalk

LOL on Justin Timberlake. Sorry to say that even his In Time movie was better than most of the SyFy made for tv movies. I mean, Tiffany with her big tits hanging out of her top and her sloppy ass sagging? Who wants to see that? The least she could do is get in shape if she knows she is going to be on tv.

Why do they keep recycling has-beens on these movies? Wasn't Danny Bonaduce and that guy from the Brady Bunch on a movie together the other day? What a joke.
Mwalk
Low Earth Orbit

United States
07/20/2012 08:21 PM

Report Abusive Post

LOL on Justin Timberlake. Sorry to say that even his In Time movie was better than most of the SyFy made for tv movies. I mean, Tiffany with her big tits hanging out of her top and her sloppy ass sagging? Who wants to see that? The least she could do is get in shape if she knows she is going to be on tv.

Why do they keep recycling has-beens on these movies? Wasn't Danny Bonaduce and that guy from the Brady Bunch on a movie together the other day? What a joke.

Yes they were, and i'm embarrassed to say it's title, the cheese factor is through the roof.
“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.”
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1402512
United States
07/20/2012 08:23 PM
Report Abusive Post
Has anyone else noticed that since they changed the channel from SciFi to SyFy that the programming has gone to shit? I mean how many times are they going to show The Fifth Element this week? Every time I check the listings that stupid movie is on. What the fuck does pro-wrestling have to do with science fiction and why is the wwe on that channel? More stupid decisions by stupid people in charge of programming. Back in the day when they actually had sci-fi stuff on, it was a pretty cool channel to watch. Now all they have are reruns of their own crappy shows. I'm sick of Ghost Hunters, Eureka, Lost Girl, WWE, etc. on all the time at all hours. I can't imagine that SyFy can stay in business too much longer with their current programming.

Any channel that wouldn't renew SGU sucks! 5*s for you.
Mwalk
Low Earth Orbit

United States
07/20/2012 08:23 PM

Report Abusive Post

LOL, so true, the only thing bad about In Time was JT, the rest of the cast was good, but JT made the film get a solid 1.5 stars out of 5, still not near as cheesy as SyFy.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 15456734
Australia
07/20/2012 08:27 PM
Report Abusive Post
If they're out of ideas, they're out of idea. That's where WE STEP IN!

Sending emails suggesting ideas is a good start.

All those shows I listed could have an entire show about how and why they were made, where are they now? and any plans to revive or further them.

Even shows like in search of, could be revitalised in this manner, but showing part of the original, and injected a 'what we now know' ending - or leaving some a true mystery!

None of that would be expensive to do.

Completely agree with cutting out craop low budget films, in favour of furthering unfinished series etc.

It can be done. Farscape was revived in this manner!

Hoping SGU goes that way too. (and Defying Gravity dammit!)
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
07/20/2012 08:30 PM
Report Abusive Post

LOL, so true, the only thing bad about In Time was JT, the rest of the cast was good, but JT made the film get a solid 1.5 stars out of 5, still not near as cheesy as SyFy.

Agreed, JT was the only suck thing in that movie. The chick that played his mom was really hot. Too bad she dies in the movie. I wish that movie makers would do some research before making movies. The whole idea of "if you make it, they will come" doesn't seem to be working.
Mwalk
Low Earth Orbit

United States
07/20/2012 08:33 PM

Report Abusive Post

Agreed, JT was the only suck thing in that movie. The chick that played his mom was really hot. Too bad she dies in the movie. I wish that movie makers would do some research before making movies. The whole idea of "if you make it, they will come" doesn't seem to be working.

And Cillian Murphy was a good bad guy.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 11868671
United States
07/20/2012 09:02 PM
Report Abusive Post
Exactly! What's with changing the channels name? That is when the SciFi channel changed to SyFy became more enmeshed into horror. At one time was a favorite channel and rarely watch it now.

From wiki:

Rebranding

On March 16, 2009, Sci-Fi announced it was changing its name to "Syfy," to end confusion over how to capitalize and stylize their name and as part of an on-going rebranding effort. Network officials also noted that, unlike the generic term "sci fi", which represents the entire science fiction genre, the term "Syfy" can be protected by trademark and therefore would be easier to market on other goods or services without fear of confusion with other companies' products.

It all comes down to marketing. Actually most on the TV is pretty bad overall.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 20076754
United States
07/20/2012 09:14 PM
Report Abusive Post
If anyone on this board has connections to NBC I just want to say that you guys at SyFy have a bevy of loyal viewers that are ready to come back to your channel. In order for that to happen, the channel needs return to its roots and put in some quality science fiction programming. By sci-fi programming I do not mean countless reruns of Stargate SG1 either. That's what made people stop watching in the first place. Put in some X-Files, Twilight Zone (original series), movies like Total Recall, and mini-series like Lost Room. Then you'll be on your way.

1rof1 Exactly.
Double O Zero

User ID: 18363448
United States
07/20/2012 09:27 PM
Report Abusive Post
The channel is garbage these days, but most sci-fi is.

It seems like they have an unending sequence of monster movies that don't challenge their audiences to think, but it's no worse than the special effects spectaculars that unfortunately make up most movies in the genre.

HBO needs to do a sci-fi series. They've done well with fantasy.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 12790821
United States
07/20/2012 09:44 PM
Report Abusive Post
Really I knew it was going to go all downhill for good after Caprica.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 18568829
United States
07/20/2012 10:03 PM
Report Abusive Post
I have to agree with this.. Have you noticed that the History channel has gone to shit too? All of their programs are now 'occupational reality'. What the fuck does Ice road truckers, pawn shops, and alligator hunters have to do with history ? I want Hitler! Hitler Hitler and more Hitler.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 15456734
Australia
07/20/2012 10:17 PM
Report Abusive Post
Really I knew it was going to go all downhill for good after Caprica.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 12790821

You didnt like Caprica? I really liked the storyline.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
07/20/2012 11:10 PM
Report Abusive Post
I have to agree with this.. Have you noticed that the History channel has gone to shit too? All of their programs are now 'occupational reality'. What the fuck does Ice road truckers, pawn shops, and alligator hunters have to do with history ? I want Hitler! Hitler Hitler and more Hitler.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 18568829

At least Hitler, Nazis, SS were actual history. Now after the umpteenth reality series based on the same two truckers, i.e. Hugh Rowland and that other dude with purple hair, I fail to see the historical aspect to it. It sucks because I actually used to really like The History Channel. The funniest thing was when they tried to bring in some model and have her drive a truck. Supposedly she was a truck driver in NYC but I seriously doubt it. Anyhow, they had her in a bikini getting wet in one episode. Real historical there. Same old recycled crap.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
07/20/2012 11:13 PM
Report Abusive Post

And Cillian Murphy was a good bad guy.

He really did play that part well. I think he's the guy from 28 Days Later. Now that was a kick-ass movie.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
07/20/2012 11:15 PM
Report Abusive Post
I agree too. What happened?
 Quoting: Tuff~Kooky

I think NBC took over the channel and ruined it like the rest of their networks. Isn't NBC a joke now? They haven't had quality programming in over 14 years since the last episode of Seinfeld aired.
mikebo2

User ID: 18012248
United States
07/20/2012 11:18 PM
Report Abusive Post
I agree.
I used to watch the Scifi channel but for about the last 2-3 years they have turned into complete crap.

I rarely watch the channel anymore.

I have to assume that their ratings are up or they would change the programming ????
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 20102649
Saudi Arabia
07/20/2012 11:20 PM
Report Abusive Post
I noticed it went from real sci-fi to mostly occult, too. No ideas, stale shows, etc... But then, what do you expect from the degenerate jewish people running the thing?!?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 18699728
United States
07/20/2012 11:21 PM
Report Abusive Post
Scifi went to shit when Stargate Atlantis started to go under so they ended SG-1 to free up more capital but the thing is that SG-1 attracted all the viewers and it was a downward spiral from there and by the time they cancelled Stargate Atlantis MGM was on the verge of bankrupcy. The post bankrupcy company became SYFY and now the channel has receded into a fetal stage.

We need a petition to get Stargate back on the air.
MONSTER

User ID: 2122560
United States
07/20/2012 11:22 PM
Report Abusive Post
I am glad to hear other people fill this way, I hadnt even noticed SyFi turned to SyFy, but I noticed the short shows were really bad and boring, Lost Girl, Eureka are the worst. I hardly turn it on anymore, and yes I have seen The Fifth element 20 times , dont want to watch it againburnit
KINGDOMS, NATIONS AND KINGS HAVE BEEN BROUGHT DOWN TO THEIR KNEES WITH ONE GLANCE FROM A WOMAN.

I WEAR MY SKIN OF ARMOR SO NO ONE CAN GET IN AND NO ONE CAN GET OUT.

HOW CAN I MOURN YOU, WHEN I HAVE NEVER LET YOU GO, monster 1991-2008 RIP
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 20073385
United States
07/20/2012 11:26 PM
Report Abusive Post
I agree...the programming fell off a cliff. Similar to The Weather Channel.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 20141619

They were both bought out and refitted for the retard masses. You can't see any good scifi movies or a decent weather forcast due to the never ending garbage they now show.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 11868671
United States
07/20/2012 11:46 PM
Report Abusive Post
refitted for the retard masses.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 20073385

That is it! Idiocracy! Good SciFi makes you think and what they show now is just ridiculous.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 6414988
United States
07/20/2012 11:47 PM
Report Abusive Post
agree. Most of the channels are nothing like they were set up to be. There is little music to be found on MTV, VH1, I remember when there was. Headline news has way too much stupid shit for me to watch anymore. Even the history channel has sold out to mindless reality programs. And don't let your sick child sitting up late at night watch cartoonnetwork, theres some nasty adult programming on there. I had to get off cable altogether. garbage.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 8640456

hear,hear.
ExpertOfSound

User ID: 1779676
United States
07/20/2012 11:48 PM
Report Abusive Post
Yup they have been going down hill for a while now. I don't even have cable TV any more. I watch Netflix or I stream stuff online that I wanna watch.
 Quoting: IWant2Believe

Same, haven't had it in over 9 years.
GREAT minds talk about IDEAS
AVERAGE minds talk about EVENTS
SMALL minds talk about PEOPLE

Racism is a crime against humanity.

“A good scientist is a person in whom the childhood quality of perennial curiosity lingers on. Once he gets an answer, he has other questions.” ~Frederick Seitz

There are MORE water molecules in 1 glass of tap water than there are glasses of tap water in EVERY OCEAN ON EARTH.

Thread: THE TRUTH about the "Ancient Astronaut Theory" and Ancient Aliens TV Show AGENDA!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 6971182
United States
07/21/2012 12:06 AM
Report Abusive Post

Yes they were, and i'm embarrassed to say it's title, the cheese factor is through the roof.

HAHAHA

I was a production assistant on this "film". It was set in South Dakota but we filmed in Carnation, WA. The production company is called The Asylum. If I had filmed the shit show that happened behind the scenes it would have got a lot of laughs. I have never met a more incompetent group of people. The ground was covered in snow for the first week of production and bare for the second week, the scenes were filmed in no particular order. I guess when the plot is so shitty, no one cares how well it gets made.
10:24

User ID: 7030045
United States
07/21/2012 12:28 AM
Report Abusive Post
There's no good tv anymore. Every channel is playing reality shows and crap now, including the weather channel and history channel. Crap, shit, and more crap.
people want to believe in mysteries

is the truth so bad?

GLP