SyFy channel sucks now

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 20191040
United States
08/04/2012 08:54 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: SyFy channel sucks now
Comcast now owns 51% of the channels they bought from nbc universal, including syfy.
 Quoting: guynur

Wow. I wonder what that means in terms of programming, though. It seems like it got worse since the takeover.
Steve
User ID: 31057647
United States
12/28/2012 11:13 PM
Report Abusive Post
Yes they do suck now....I rarely watching them anymore.

I think they changed to SyFy so that people couldn't say they are the SciFi channel with little to no SciFi. They actually starting going down the tubes before the name change.

Regardless of what their name is, the programming they have totally sucks.
IssueX

User ID: 14348632
United States
12/28/2012 11:25 PM
Report Abusive Post
Yah it totally sucks. I was a loyal Sci-Fi Channel viewer until "the dumbening" happened. I still have all my favourite shows and series and movies downloaded so I can re-create an a/v playlist based on TV Guide listings from the 90's.

I actually got rid of television once and for all after The Dumbening. I do everything online now.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 12790821

I agree with the OP too.

I noticed the decline in quality even before the SciFi/SyFy change, but it definitely accelerated after that. I often wondered why all of the really low-grade 'horror' films and other junk like wrestling was put on the channel. Some Sci-Fiers are into horror, but most of the folks I know are not; definitely not wrestling or the other C-grade or minus material that they have now.

It's all so degrading. Sci-Fi as a genre used to be interesting, futuristic, and reaching for something new. The SyFy channel is degrading. I feel like my IQ goes down when I watch it.

I find myself speculating that this is part of a trend across the media to dumb-down folks and promote a culture of violence.

Too bad... The media could have lifted humanity and taken us to better things. Instead it's all the lowest common denominator and going down from there.

Work in your garden, listen to an audio book, and marvel at the natural world around you instead.

yoda
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 17893686

pretty much sums it up
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 31047157
United States
12/28/2012 11:40 PM
Report Abusive Post
No good sci-fi movies on SyFy.

No factual history on History.

No music on MTV.

Etc. etc.

Times have changed, and network/cable TV sucks ass.

They are becoming outdated. Everyone will be streaming on-demand content in the near future.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 14776990
United States
12/28/2012 11:41 PM
Report Abusive Post
Cable sucks TV sucks
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 12966144
United States
12/28/2012 11:43 PM
Report Abusive Post
That Adventures of Merlin Series on their channel is great! I just finished watching 52 episodes on my Netflix streaming, and can't wait for season 5 to start next week.

Besides that show, though, when I was watching the the other day, it looked pretty cheesy stuff they had on. Not sure what was airing at the time.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 29390421
United States
12/29/2012 04:55 AM
Report Abusive Post
must agree only thing i watch is ghost hunters.i watch h2 but ancient aliens is just going way out there. why is everthing on tv reality shows 1 season of face-off is enough. i wonder are the ratings for these shows actually high or are advertisers paying alot of money just to keep these dumb reality shows on. i dont know many people that watch the crap. im going to cry when fringe ends.knew it was the end when it moved to fridays its the death day for tv shows
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 19706474
United Kingdom
12/29/2012 05:14 AM
Report Abusive Post
Has anyone else noticed that since they changed the channel from SciFi to SyFy that the programming has gone to shit? I mean how many times are they going to show The Fifth Element this week? Every time I check the listings that stupid movie is on. What the fuck does pro-wrestling have to do with science fiction and why is the wwe on that channel? More stupid decisions by stupid people in charge of programming. Back in the day when they actually had sci-fi stuff on, it was a pretty cool channel to watch. Now all they have are reruns of their own crappy shows. I'm sick of Ghost Hunters, Eureka, Lost Girl, WWE, etc. on all the time at all hours. I can't imagine that SyFy can stay in business too much longer with their current programming.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 19168269

Have you never thought you watch too much tv?

Go outside breathe the fresh air, go for a walk and enjoy life as it was given to you.
viola
User ID: 40655330
United States
09/21/2013 04:37 PM
Report Abusive Post
Yes I completely agree!!! We need to all send them an email letting them now how many people hate the new syfy!! Maybe hopefully they will listen.

[email protected]

Please help us get the old scifi back!!
thore95
User ID: 46588927
United States
04/19/2014 12:28 AM
Report Abusive Post
Warehouse 13 season 5 episode 1 was probably the biggest let down for any episode of any scifi show that I have seen! The whole fight scene between Claudia and Paracelsus only lasted like 5 min. From the way the previews where going it sounded like the fight could have been half the episode! It just seems like they slapped anything together to end the series! This is just another prime example of how the new "syfy" channel takes a great show and just flushes it right down the toilet! As it stands right now I absolutely REFUSE to watch anything on the syfy channel! YOU SUCK syfy CHANNEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
his name was EscapeVelocity
User ID: 16936812
South Korea
04/19/2014 12:56 AM
Report Abusive Post
I used to love the History Channel until it became redneck central. Now, finding a show that actually has some historical basis to it is very difficult. Pawn Stars? Really? Ice Road Truckers was cool the first time around but do I really want to watch all those douchebags driving up and down some mountain in South America as part of a different reality show? Now H2, formerly History International, has the historical shows while History Channel has nothing but reality crap. Then again, History networks is also run by NBC. Surprise, surprise. It seems like NBC networks are all shitty. Fire everybody and start over.

I remember there was a reason you lusted after having cable tv... infact many reasons:

Discovery Wings (an entire fucking channel devoted to flying)
connections
the day the universe changed
beyond 2000
shark week
gi diary
firepower
Tales of the gun
Shows about the civil war first thing in the morning.
shows about astronomy late at night.

now everything is reality bs.. even most movies are total reworked trash. Thats why I dont own a tv.

there was a time when tv was cool:

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 766776
Canada
04/19/2014 01:43 AM
Report Abusive Post
Why do you still TV?
I don't TV anymore?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 56827798
United States
04/19/2014 01:54 AM
Report Abusive Post
damn the good old scifi days oooh man!! fuck
[email protected]
User ID: 36272380
United States
04/19/2014 05:06 PM
Report Abusive Post
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, FIRE THE PROGRAM DIRECTOR FOR SYFY.
HE SHOWS CRAP, AFTER CRAP SHOWS, SOMETIMES THE SAME SHOWS WEEKEND AFTER WEEKEND.

ENOUGH ALREADY!!!! GET SOME NEW SHOW OR GET OUT
SpaceCast Canada
User ID: 59926759
Canada
07/04/2014 10:35 PM
Report Abusive Post
I recently had chance to check out the channel since I moved back to Canada. Was looking forward to the Sci-Fi Friday they had when I lived down there. Sadly to my horror they had some move that would make most b-rated moves shine. What I find funny is when I moved back to Canada the Space Channel up here was a joke, but now I would consider it on par to where SciFi (SyFy) was back in 2000 and getting better.

If there are any Syfy execs looking to at this thread my advice as so many have suggested. Drop the wrestling, put some money to buying quality Scifi show. Check out the SpaceCast channel in Canada for inspiration.
farmerguy

User ID: 42485358
United States
07/05/2014 01:26 AM
Report Abusive Post
Work in your garden, listen to an audio book, and marvel at the natural world around you instead.

yoda

I could not have said better myself.
TrustNoOneKS

User ID: 4422502
United States
07/05/2014 03:12 AM
Report Abusive Post
Most accurate statement I've seen on here!

Way to cut down the Twilight Zone marathon for the BS wresting and crap movies!
I Want To Believe
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 46031168
United States
07/05/2014 03:21 AM
Report Abusive Post
Has anyone else noticed that since they changed the channel from SciFi to SyFy that the programming has gone to shit? I mean how many times are they going to show The Fifth Element this week? Every time I check the listings that stupid movie is on. What the fuck does pro-wrestling have to do with science fiction and why is the wwe on that channel? More stupid decisions by stupid people in charge of programming. Back in the day when they actually had sci-fi stuff on, it was a pretty cool channel to watch. Now all they have are reruns of their own crappy shows. I'm sick of Ghost Hunters, Eureka, Lost Girl, WWE, etc. on all the time at all hours. I can't imagine that SyFy can stay in business too much longer with their current programming.

Funny you say that...I figured it was taken over by a queer or a woman because of the programs following the name change.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 58678865
United States
07/05/2014 03:57 AM
Report Abusive Post
Comcast now owns 51% of the channels they bought from nbc universal, including syfy.
 Quoting: guynur

Wow. I wonder what that means in terms of programming, though. It seems like it got worse since the takeover.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 20191040

Programming is exactly right. ALL of it sucked a long time ago. Pull the plug people...sheesh!
Firestone

User ID: 10860262
United States
07/05/2014 04:05 AM
Report Abusive Post
Yea, I never hardly watch it any more, the Chill channel is more like the old sifi.

As Mulder once said, "the truth is out there".

"We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - SLB
vortecmax

User ID: 38257029
United States
07/05/2014 04:17 AM
Report Abusive Post

It changed to SYFY when it was bought by NBC. NBC is more into making money, than showing real Sci-Fi. Yes, I agree it sucks now.
Sirrx7

User ID: 4945835
United States
07/05/2014 05:00 AM
Report Abusive Post
Its not just SyFy. All our channels have gone to crap. I'm glad I cut the cord some time ago.

You know somethings wrong when wrestling is on SciFi, Big Foot and Pawn Stars are on The History Channel, and Honey Boo Boo is on The Fucking LEARNING CHANNEL!!!
Lockpicker

User ID: 35263864
United States
07/05/2014 05:03 AM
Report Abusive Post
Lost in Space, Land of the Giants, Captain Scarlet, Thunderbirds, U.F.O, Space Above and Beyond, Battlestar Galactica (old and new), Buck Rogers, The Tomorrow People, Dark Skies (not falling skies), Defying Gravity, Babylon 5, Survivors (not the game show), V (old and new), X-files, Farscape, Firefly, The Outer Limits, Time Tunnel, The Invaders, Quantum Leap, Heros, Sliders, Dark Angel, Andromeda, Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy, Quark, The 4400, BLAKE's 7, Space 1999, Roswell, Lexx, Earth 2, Millenium, Earth Final Conflict, Planet of the Apes, Taken, Aeon Flux, Primeval, Cruisade, In Search Of, Giant Robot, SeaQuest DSV, Battleship Yamato, Battle of the Planets, hell, even MacGyver!

Quoting: BadHairDay

Wow, you mentioned Quark! I thought I was the only one that remembered that show. No one in the last 30 years that I have talked to remembers it and they all look at me like I'm nuts.

If you add Quark, you have to also add Red Dwarf.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 42499836
United States
07/05/2014 05:22 AM
Report Abusive Post
If anyone on this board has connections to NBC I just want to say that you guys at SyFy have a bevy of loyal viewers that are ready to come back to your channel. In order for that to happen, the channel needs return to its roots and put in some quality science fiction programming. By sci-fi programming I do not mean countless reruns of Stargate SG1 either. That's what made people stop watching in the first place. Put in some X-Files, Twilight Zone (original series), movies like Total Recall, and mini-series like Lost Room. Then you'll be on your way.
A lot of that stuff is on SyFy/NBCs other channel called Chiller TV.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 15708467
United States
07/05/2014 05:28 AM
Report Abusive Post
SyFy is a pile of shit now. Instead of doing a two day long Twilight Zone marathon they do this short 20-hour marathon that gets interrupted by WWE crap wrestling and a stupid two episode mini-marathon of Spartacus. Who the fuck watches wrestling anymore? What a joke. Fuck you SyFy, you estranged your original viewing audience and tried to go after another audience. Now that your base is gone you're trying to regain ratings. I hope that SyFy channel's rating get so low that the channel goes out of business.
Anonymous Coward
United States
07/05/2014 05:30 AM
Report Abusive Post
If anyone on this board has connections to NBC I just want to say that you guys at SyFy have a bevy of loyal viewers that are ready to come back to your channel. In order for that to happen, the channel needs return to its roots and put in some quality science fiction programming. By sci-fi programming I do not mean countless reruns of Stargate SG1 either. That's what made people stop watching in the first place. Put in some X-Files, Twilight Zone (original series), movies like Total Recall, and mini-series like Lost Room. Then you'll be on your way.
A lot of that stuff is on SyFy/NBCs other channel called Chiller TV.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 42499836

Chiller is turning into a piece of shit, too. All they play on there is Fear Factor. What the fuck does Fear Factor have to do with the genre of Chiller? Nothing. I hope that Chiller goes out of business, too.
kingbirdfivezero

User ID: 55493868
United States
07/05/2014 05:48 AM
Report Abusive Post
Yup, another reason why I got rid of cable. SyFy went down hill cause of crap programming and crap movies like "Sharknado..."

damned
Anonymous Coward
United States
07/05/2014 05:51 AM
Report Abusive Post
Yup, another reason why I got rid of cable. SyFy went down hill cause of crap programming and crap movies like "Sharknado..."

damned
 Quoting: kingbirdfivezero

Sharknado, the only thing worse than the name is the CGI. It looks like it was put together in someone's basement.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 54924686
United States
07/05/2014 06:04 AM
Report Abusive Post
Yeah I agree the programming is shit.
But, when you put the psy in scifi...there's gotta be a reasonable explanation for this. *quietly leaves topic*
guyfy
User ID: 66968735
Canada
01/12/2015 10:15 PM
Report Abusive Post
I so agree, I have removed Syfy from my favorites channels, like it was never there.

GLP